Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pub Openings / Refurbs / Closing Thread - Mod Note Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

That could be a good investment seeing as Kiely's pub up the road from it has finally closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I looked up 'music and singing licence' and it appears to be to allow theatres to sell alcohol, presumably without a pub licence. So why would a pub have one?

Theatres are allowed sell alcohol by their theatre licence; music and singing licences are different and any late bar would have them.
    Dellboy54 wrote: »
    That could be a good investment seeing as Kiely's pub up the road from it has finally closed.

Is it also closed? I had heard McCloskeys closed so that's 2 of the 4 along there.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

Yeah. The last few times I've passed it's all shut up and google has it down as "Permanently closed".

Can't see neither redevelopment having a pub in it; but it is possible.

350k key money *and* more than 2k a week rent is insanity money for a pub, again. We got way above that for big premises in the boom but it's still no more sustainable now.

Bridge Inn in Chapelizod reopening tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

L1011 wrote: »
    Bridge Inn in Chapelizod reopening tonight

Reopened last night. There's a connection to Carrig Brewing and Union 8 in Kilmainham so should have a few crafty taps on.

Reopened last night. There's a connection to Carrig Brewing and Union 8 in Kilmainham so should have a few crafty taps on.

I was misinformed by Twitter, the horrors!

In now, 4x Carrig and one Yellowbelly out of 10 or 12 taps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Theatres are allowed sell alcohol by their theatre licence; music and singing licences are different and any late bar would have them.

OK, it just sounds very strange (even by the standards of our very strange and archaic licensing laws.)

If a pub in Ballybegorrah is having a trad session, presumably they don't need a music and singing licence, or do they?

Is it illegal to allow card or board games in an Irish pub, or fruit machines etc? (not that I'm in any way a fan of the latter, but they're common enough in the UK.)

If a special licence is needed for late drinking, can't they just call it a late licence and be done with it :) (if we were a rationally governed country, we'd have 24 hour drinking, with each publican allowed to set their own hours subject only to avoiding public nuisance.)

Scrap the cap!

Our licencing laws have a major core from 1902 and elements from before. They are not fit for purpose. Any pub with music and/or singing is meant to have the licence and it is more of a formality now. They aren't part of the late licence

Late licences are Special Exemption Orders so they do have a (convoluted) name, early house is General Exemption Order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

500 quid a year wouldn't be a formality to me, but then again I'm not a publican :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Geuze wrote: »
    Any update on JD Wetherspoon Abbey street?

Tbh I'm giving up on spoons. The owner can go ****e with his brexit hard on views. He's pushing for economic damage and borders on our island so I won't by buying his produce. Used to frequent them often enough. But he is a loon.

My money will be spent on home grown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I was misinformed by Twitter, the horrors!

In now, 4x Carrig and one Yellowbelly out of 10 or 12 taps

The other 5-7 taps are the usual macro stuff?

Yeah, as I'd expect in suburbia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Brú House Navan seems to have closed its doors. They stopped serving food last month and It wasn’t open on Sunday when I was in town.

When they started in December 2016 they used to have a rotating guest beer, which brought me in, but they only stocked Brú products for the last year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Good, those lads aren't interested in the pub game, or giving customers what they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Brú House Navan seems to have closed its doors. They stopped serving food last month and It wasn’t open on Sunday when I was in town.

When they started in December 2016 they used to have a rotating guest beer, which brought me in, but they only stocked Brú products for the last year....

Was in it over the summer, first pint I had to return as the glass was manky, same with glass for second pint, eventually third glass was clean. Ordered another, filthy glass again and just left.

Huge hole in the side of JJ Smyths today, work definitely underway there. Intent it to reopen after the new apartments are built above.

Planning approved for changes to the Karma Stone down the road, all the renders of signs have the pub renamed to The Landmark.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BodyTonic has taken on The Lighthouse in Dún Laoghaire and is reopening it this weekend.

The Rascals taproom in Inchicore opens this Friday. They'll be open Wednesday to Friday at 4pm, and from noon on Saturdays and Sundays.

The bar at 98 Parnell Street where The White Hag held their winter festival over the last two weekends is apparently going to be reopening full-time next month with a heavy White Hag presence. It's where the old "Dublin Supporters Bar" was just at the T junction with North Great George's street about halfway from O'Connell Street to Gardiner street.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Rascals taproom in Inchicore opens this Friday. They'll be open Wednesday to Friday at 4pm, and from noon on Saturdays and Sundays.

That the old village inn spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

beertons wrote: »

It's in their brewery HQ in the industrial estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Passenger wrote: »
    It's in their brewery HQ in the industrial estate.

Here

The bar at 98 Parnell Street where The White Hag held their winter festival over the last two weekends is apparently going to be reopening full-time next month with a heavy White Hag presence. It's where the old "Dublin Supporters Bar" was just at the T junction with North Great George's street about halfway from O'Connell Street to Gardiner street.

That pubs had at least two "full time" names in the maybe 2 years max since it was the Dublin Supporters Bar - it was a south american bar called The Luggage Room (which I thought was a great name - first thing someone does need to look for after their arrival) and it was branded as "The Dubliner" when it was up on myhome before it became The Luggage Room, assuming it did operate as that.

So hopefully it lasts a bit longer this time!

The Kylemore House is now a huge Costa Coffee. This reappeared on the licence register this licencing year but I'd imagine it was reactivating the licence to flog it off; Costa certainly aren't selling any alcohol. I did check :pac: (was going in anyway, slightly calmer environment for a tea than McDonalds next door)

That pubs had at least two "full time" names in the maybe 2 years max since it was the Dublin Supporters Bar - it was a south american bar called The Luggage Room (which I thought was a great name - first thing someone does need to look for after their arrival) and it was branded as "The Dubliner" when it was up on myhome before it became The Luggage Room, assuming it did operate as that. if

So hopefully it lasts a bit longer this time!

The Kylemore House is now a huge Costa Coffee. This reappeared on the licence register this licencing year but I'd imagine it was reactivating the licence to flog it off; Costa certainly aren't selling any alcohol. I did check :pac: (was going in anyway, slightly calmer environment for a tea than McDonalds next door)

Hopefully the white hag lads can make a go of it. Be nice to have a brewery pub that isn't just about cookie cutter GBB bar in town anyway for the sake of variety.

Bar Rua meets that requirement well enough; actually Bru House outside the city centre is grand if you like their beers... which I personally don't.

That's still only 2/1000 though.

edit: how could I forget the Porterhouse(s)

In non brewery-related changes, probably didn't mention this at the time, but Murrays in Kilmainham reappeared on the register and is up for sale as ready to go, sale agreed already: https://www.lisney.com/commercial-properties/licensed-and-leisure-property-in-13-bow-lane-west-dublin-8-kilmainham-d08/23828 . Would be a goldmine for gig nights but dunno if the regulars are there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Hopefully the white hag lads can make a go of it. Be nice to have a brewery pub that isn't just about cookie cutter GBB bar in town anyway for the sake of variety.

Not the most desirable location though.

Passenger wrote: »
    Not the most desirable location though.

Really has improved a lot in the past few years, Luas and different crowds going to all the Asian food/drink places. Hophouse has to be one of the most interesting pubs in Dublin to sit and have a pint and a few bites in really.

The Metro is also up for sale at the moment so it could also be dragged up.

Just announced that they're postponing this to Friday 9th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

It's not a White Hag bar, and will have 4 diageo taps and 9 "craft" taps, the contents of which remain to be seen.

• Advertisement

It's not a White Hag bar, and will have 4 diageo taps and 9 "craft" taps, the contents of which remain to be seen.

There's definitely a WH connection anyway, if not a fully fledged brewery bar.

They created their FB (
    https://www.facebook.com/TheBigRomanceBar/) page yesterday and that lists a website.
    The about section of the FB page states "Launching November 2018, The Big Romance is a new vinyl bar serving a line-up of craft beer, cocktails and great music on an audiophile soundsystem."
    The website (http://www.thebigromance.ie/) is registered to HIDDEN AGENDA LIMITED (hiddenagenda.ie) which is promotions company who also run District 8 in the Tivoli as well as promoting gigs around the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

They mentioned having at least 2 whiplash taps

Just announced that they're postponing this to Friday 9th.
    I was in Rascals last night. It's a lovely space and I think it'll be popular once it gets going. Their restaurant licence means you have to be seated and served at your table. No standing puts a definite limit on the capacity so I'd suggest booking a table if you're planning on going any evening in the next few weeks.

Scaffolding outside Walshs/Furry Glen on Parkgate Street as far as I could see (was turning up the NCR); no planning to change and licence is valid so may be reopening.

There is a dwindling number of closed pubs without concrete plans to either reopen or remove in Dublin now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I was in Rascals last night. It's a lovely space and I think it'll be popular once it gets going. Their restaurant licence means you have to be seated and served at your table. No standing puts a definite limit on the capacity so I'd suggest booking a table if you're planning on going any evening in the next few weeks.

Do they not use the German style long tables?

They have various sizes of table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What colour are the tables?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Has anyone been to New bar Richmonds in Inchicore?

Craft beer bar and kitchen opening in Cork near the court house called Impala in about 3 weeks.
    Forget the exact street name but it's one of the bigger streets juat off Washington Street.

• Advertisement

Scaffolding outside Walshs/Furry Glen on Parkgate Street as far as I could see (was turning up the NCR); no planning to change and licence is valid so may be reopening.

The lads who own the lamplighter pub are going in there.

The lads who own the lamplighter pub are going in there.

Good, established operator reopening a long void is always good. I thought we'd lost it before the licence reappeared a while back.

For me it'll become an unvisited pub in a sea of visited ones, but at least it's on my bus route!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

gmisk wrote: »

I was in there this evening, didn’t get a look at the taps but plenty of Irish whiskeys and a few Irish gins on offer. The food was decent, no real theme to the menu, something for everyone. Staff all very welcoming. I hope they do well, the area needed something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

gmisk wrote: »
    Twee. wrote: »
    I was in there this evening, didn’t get a look at the taps but plenty of Irish whiskeys and a few Irish gins on offer. The food was decent, no real theme to the menu, something for everyone. Staff all very welcoming. I hope they do well, the area needed something like this.

Where abouts in Inchicore is it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Where abouts in Inchicore is it?

Sort of opposite the Black Lion, it was a boarded up pub for ages.

Sort of opposite the Black Lion, it was a boarded up pub for ages.

The former Village Inn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Anybody heard anything about the Empire Pub/ Babylon Night club in Swords have had their doors closed for the last couple of weeks, though the web page and twitter account still seem live

Looks like reopening soon under the name Betsy, painters in, new logo outside.

https://www.facebook.com/pam.fogarty.357

The former Village Inn?

Ah, I was only asking about that place a few days ago.

Ah, I was only asking about that place a few days ago.
    Yep it use to be the Village Inn (Its now the richmond gastropub - going by outside).
    Odd I can find nothing online about it, not even a facebook page (tonnes of online buzz about Rascals even though it hasnt opened yet)

I popped in for a pint as well yesterday (moretti on tap), seems like a nice spot, staff very friendly hope it does well.

The food looked really good I must say.

They had moretti on tap and a few other interesting ones (I think a Galway Bay one), as well as the usual ones.

Metzo pub in Ballymun gone as of last Thursday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement