Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pub Openings / Refurbs / Closing Thread - Mod Note Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That leaves Ballymun without any pub at all then. Metro Hotel bar was always a bit awkward for non residents and is closed anyway as are both in the old SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

East Side Tavern appears to be closed again

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Lamplighter gutted inside, their other pub on park gate street reopened on Saturday.

Did a pub in Donnybrook close recently?

Kielys in Donnybrook closed a few months back.

beertons wrote: »
    Lamplighter gutted inside, their other pub on park gate street reopened on Saturday.

Presume it's for a refit?

Whats the Parkgate one called now - the Furry Glen name has been rather coopted by something else!

L1011 wrote: »
    Presume it's for a refit?

Whats the Parkgate one called now - the Furry Glen name has been rather coopted by something else!

Aye, back open in three weeks ish. Dillon's is the name of the other one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The bar at 98 Parnell Street where The White Hag held their winter festival over the last two weekends is apparently going to be reopening full-time next month with a heavy White Hag presence. It's where the old "Dublin Supporters Bar" was just at the T junction with North Great George's street about halfway from O'Connell Street to Gardiner street.
    It's called The Big Romance and is a "vinyl bar". Easier to wipe clean, I guess. Linky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's called The Big Romance and is a "vinyl bar". Easier to wipe clean, I guess. Linky.

I know.
    I posted their Facebook and webpage two pages back.

Derp! I knew it rang a bell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Dellboy54 wrote: »
    Kielys in Donnybrook closed a few months back.

Shame. That was a bloody great pub. Good selection of beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Churchtown Stores former DIY store opening tonight as a pub. Retains the same name as the store over the door.

Former Gilbert & Wright in Dún Laoghaire will be re-opening soon as The Beer Keeper.

listermint wrote: »
    Churchtown Stores former DIY store opening tonight as a pub. Retains the same name as the store over the door.

Any idea who owns it now?

Former Gilbert & Wright in Dún Laoghaire will be re-opening soon as The Beer Keeper.

They have a Facebook update from an hour ago on the G&W DL Facebook page? Is it part of the premises or one of the other closed pubs there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

listermint wrote: »

Never heard a whisper about that. Nice touch with the name. What's the plan with McGowans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

the complex mcgowans was in has been rebuilt into a union cafe location and a pharmacy. I saw the original plans which had a few retail units planned as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    the complex mcgowans was in has been rebuilt into a union cafe location and a pharmacy. I saw the original plans which had a few retail units planned as well.

In phibsboro?

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Never heard a whisper about that. Nice touch with the name. What's the plan with McGowans?

Its licence has been re-activated to Union8 in this months Revenue files. Same ancient licence number and all. They don't list any alcohol on their website at the minute so if they aren't selling booze, it may be transferred off to another PressUp venue. Although the description mentions wine and cocktails!

matrim - McGowans / County Club / Braemor Rooms in Churchtown; closed for donkeys years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

beertons wrote: »
    Any idea who owns it now?

Not a breeze .

Not the Foley family former store owners.

• Advertisement

They've changed their Facebook details now, well mostly. Straight rename rather than a reopening though?

They've changed their Facebook details now, well mostly. Straight rename rather than a reopening though?
    I thought G&W had closed. I dunno. I haven't been around there since the Beer Trader days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I thought G&W had closed. I dunno. I haven't been around there since the Beer Trader days.

No was still open until the recent change over although upstairs and the back area were no longer in use, the smaller bar is more suited to a craft pub rather than the live music venue they had been running it as, will be interesting to see how it does with a pint of Punk €6.75 and less than 4 euro down the road in the forty foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Its licence has been re-activated to Union8 in this months Revenue files. Same ancient licence number and all. They don't list any alcohol on their website at the minute so if they aren't selling booze, it may be transferred off to another PressUp venue. Although the description mentions wine and cocktails!

matrim - McGowans / County Club / Braemor Rooms in Churchtown; closed for donkeys years.

It was one of the sites purchased yonks ago by the former Superquinn group with a view to developing it for apartments and a shop, the licence being intended to be used for off sales. Interestingly the sale included the car park across the road. Good to see the location finally being made use off in some way.

It was one of the sites purchased yonks ago by the former Superquinn group with a view to developing it for apartments and a shop, the licence being intended to be used for off sales.

As killed the awful nightclub that replaced Night Owls (questionable if that was any better...) and indeed The Foxhunter I believe. At least the first one actually got built!

Impala (new pub by the lads who run Caribou in Galway) opening on Liberty street Cork in the next few weeks.
    Unit formerly known as Cavanagh's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Impala (new pub by the lads who run Caribou in Galway) opening on Liberty street Cork in the next few weeks.
    Unit formerly known as Cavanagh's.

And soon to be opening The Richmond on Church
    st in the New Year too.

That place will likely have reopened before the pub report doors down does - and it started it's refurb before The Richmond closed!

Impala opening tonight.

Anyone hear anything about the Dark Horse in blackrock? Hasnt re-opened in months. It was taken over after Galway Bay Brewery left. Last few posts on the facebook page show it was being refurbished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Soup ramen are now doing the food at the beer keeper in dun laoghaire. Off the charts good food.

• Advertisement

Good excuse to drag the OH there then, I've had to go to other ramen places before for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

What happened to Taproom 47 in Kings Street, Smithfield sitting there about 10 months and still hasnt opened?

a pint of Punk €6.75 and less than 4 euro down the road in the forty foot.

Less than 4 euro for Punk?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

What happened to Taproom 47 in Kings Street, Smithfield sitting there about 10 months and still hasnt opened?

I just saw a post on a drinks industry Facebook group I'm in recruiting for staff at this place, looks like they're nearly ready to open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

Think it's 3.75 in the Blackrock Spoons. The Shipyard IPA on draft is even cheaper! Not as nice as the Punk though

Forgot just how long its been sitting in that half-done state - thought it was odd they didn't push to open for the mega payday with the Pride parade passing right by it in June - last time I passed it hadn't obviously moved on at all!

Would still prefer if they'd keep the original name as the last of the Watkins "Taps" left

basskebab wrote: »

Think it's 3.75 in the Blackrock Spoons. The Shipyard IPA on draft is even cheaper! Not as nice as the Punk though

Wow, cheaper than in Brewdog bars themselves!

Forgot just how long its been sitting in that half-done state - thought it was odd they didn't push to open for the mega payday with the Pride parade passing right by it in June - last time I passed it hadn't obviously moved on at all!

Would still prefer if they'd keep the original name as the last of the Watkins "Taps" left

Or Christmas, best time of year for bars probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Which aren't particularly cheap!

Punk is €4.75 in the Blanch 'spoons, €3.75 in the rest (actually, not sure about Swords)

n97 mini wrote: »

Which aren't particularly cheap!

Punk is €4.75 in the Blanch 'spoons, €3.75 in the rest (actually, not sure about Swords)

Was about 5 sterling for Punk in Manchester Brewdog when I was there last year, how is that possible!?

• Advertisement

Was about 5 sterling for Punk in Manchester Brewdog when I was there last year, how is that possible!?
    The price of beer is based on what people will pay for it in the setting it's for sale. BrewDog bars price for a young market with lots of disposable income. JD Wetherspoon... doesn't.

The price of beer is based on what people will pay for it in the setting it's for sale. BrewDog bars price for a young market with lots of disposable income. JD Wetherspoon... doesn't.

Still thats a huge difference, 6.70 and 3.75 cant tjink of any other craft beers with that price difference in Ireland, eg Porterhouse in non PH bars is never 2 or 3 euros less.

Unless its a loss leader exposes huge rip off in Irish boozers.

Unless its a loss leader exposes huge rip off in Irish boozers.

It's more of a stack it high and sell it cheap approach. Their margin on things like Punk is tiny, but they're not making a loss.

Still thats a huge difference, 6.70 and 3.75 cant tjink of any other craft beers with that price difference in Ireland.
    You don't see it because the brewers usually go to huge efforts to stop it from happening and control prices. It's why JDW doesn't sell Guinness in Ireland, for example. Either BrewDog's Irish importer is furious and would like JDW to knock it off, or they're following what seems to be BrewDog's current strategy of maximising the quantity of beer they make and sell without being too precious about price. Pile it high and sell it regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

£4.20 over here in spoons for a pint of punk. Think it's £5.50 in the brewdog bar 3mins down the road.

Also nobody young drinks in Brewdog, always full of office types in suits etc. Does look funny as the staff are all your generic hipster looking youth

Finches closed last night. No loss to most, but it's locals will be looking for somewhere else to drink now.

Has it been sold? Fitzgerald was trying to shift it for a while now.

The physically nearest pub is the Hudson Rooms in LV, rather different setup and I can't imagine they'll want the extra business...

Has it been sold? Fitzgerald was trying to shift it for a while now.

All I heard was apartments. And the guy who has Crowe's in Tallaght got it. But I could be way off.

• Advertisement

The Arc is gone too. Or what ever it's called now.

Advertisement