Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland -> Netherlands (how many stamps?!)

Options
  • 24-08-2015 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey all,

Does anyone know if I can just put two stamps worth 68 cent on the letter, and send it to the Netherlands?

Will that work? does it cost more or do I have to have special stamps that cost more?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 128128218

I mean, if I have to do a registered envelope, how much does it cost?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

You can use an "international stamp" from the post office which costs around 1.05 euro. It doesn't give you a registered service, just the same as using a 68c stamp within Ireland. I sometimes use two 68c stamps if I don't have an international stamp, it works ok but you are wasting a bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just to point out that its 70c in Ireland now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

L1011 wrote:
    Just to point out that its 70c in Ireland now...
    I just noticed that today. I'll have to go and buy a pile of 2c stamps now! Thanks.

• Advertisement

I just noticed that today. I'll have to go and buy a pile of 2c stamps now! Thanks.

I've still got some 55s I corrected to 60 with 5c stamps... will have to grab a lot of random ones next time I'm in the post office. Has to be a loss making transaction selling a load of 2c/5c/10c stamps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

UK charges 88c (63p) for standard letter and €1.34 (95p) for large envelope under 100g for UK delivery.

100g for internation delivery is a whopping €2.10 (£1.52) for Europe and a crazy €3.05 (£2.25) for rest of the world. (almost 3 times An Post's €1.05 rate)

I prefer not having non denomination stamps than paying up to 3 times An Post rate to post a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Apparently they don't sell low denomination stamp now. You have to hand over you letter with your letter with your insufficient postage and they will print the additional postage directly to the envelope apparently. My neighbor is fuming. He has always insisted if he was eventually forced to pay the water charged you would pay the charge with 2c postage stamps. Strange fellow. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Apparently they don't sell low denomination stamp now. You have to hand over you letter with your letter with your insufficient postage and they will print the additional postage directly to the envelope apparently. My neighbor is fuming. He has always insisted if he was eventually forced to pay the water charged you would pay the charge with 2c postage stamps. Strange fellow. :eek:

You can buy 2cent stamps. I bought a roll last Friday. As for paying in stamps, it's not legal tender and utter nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

that's simply not true. All post offices have stamp printers that can print any denomination, and they will print off a small amount without any issue. (I did it just a couple of weeks ago and had 20 printed)

btw - you can buy also 2c stamps online from an post.

The ability to pay for state bills with postage stamps ended in, I'd put a guess at, about 1965. There used to be the ability to add them to a postal money order to bring them up to odd amounts when they were pre-printed but they've been printed on demand to any figure for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Quadrature

A lot of places let you print your own stamps online these days.

Basically it's just a QR code you can attach to your envelope or print on an address label to prove payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Seem to be what I came across. Maybe it wasn't going to be printed right on envelope but postal worker insisted on customer handing over letter rather than handing stamp to customer. As for my neighbor, me thinks a case of failure to launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Seem to be what I came across. Maybe it wasn't going to be printed right on envelope but postal worker insisted on customer handing over letter rather than handing stamp to customer. As for my neighbor, me thinks a case of failure to launch.

The correct procedure is that the letter is handed in and the postal worker makes up the difference with a specially printed stamp. An Post frown on non standard stamps being sold in bulk as some people will only put a 2c stamp on a letter instead of a 70c stamp.

dont blame the postal workers, blame the chancers who ruin it for everyone else.

Shelflife wrote: »
    The correct procedure is that the letter is handed in and the postal worker makes up the difference with a specially printed stamp. An Post frown on non standard stamps being sold in bulk as some people will only put a 2c stamp on a letter instead of a 70c stamp.

dont blame the postal workers, blame the chancers who ruin it for everyone else.

I don't agree. I have always been able to go to any post office and buy 10 or 12 2cent stamps. No problem. You might as well say they won't sell 20cent or 40cent stamps in case people just stick them on instead of 70 cent stamps.

I don't agree. I have always been able to go to any post office and buy 10 or 12 2cent stamps. No problem. You might as well say they won't sell 20cent or 40cent stamps in case people just stick them on instead of 70 cent stamps.

Ahmad Cuddly Pepper you may not agree but that is the correct protocol.

However discretion can be used and in the case of local retailers like yourself you will usually be accommodated as will most of the post offices usual customers.

Srameen you may not agree but that is the correct protocol.

However discretion can be used and in the case of local retailers like yourself you will usually be accommodated as will most of the post offices usual customers.

Sorry, I'm confused. I'm not a retailer. I'm just a customer who always has a book of stamps at home. When the price goes up I go to one of 5 post offices between home and town and I ask for a stock of 2 cent stamps. We all do it without issue. It's hardly discretion on the part of every cashier, is it?

• Advertisement

Sorry I thought you were a retailer, yes its discretion on their part, they are only supposed to issue a bridging stamp when the letter is being handed in. When the price goes up they relax this protocol in order to be sensible about it.

Are you a Postmaster or work for An Post ?

If not then there would be no reason for you to hear of it, not meaning to be rude Fred but it's not something they would shout about or religiously enforce .

Are you a Postmaster or work for An Post ?

If not then there would be no reason for you to hear of it, not meaning to be rude Fred but it's not something they would shout about or religiously enforce .

And are you a Postmaster yourself?

I am and a shopkeeper as well for my sins.

My response was really to clarify to Greenmachine as to why they had to hand in the letter, most Post offices will oblige with some bridging stamps but perhaps they were having problems in that PO and they were asked to clamp down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

An Post could solve the problem by selling stamps that would cover inland post regardless of when they were used, I believe you can do that in the UK. It would mean that you'd be able to hold a decent stock of stamps and not have the hassle (as I did recently) of having to buy 2c 'bridging' stamps to make up the difference when the price goes up. After two price increases in the past couple of years, I'm now limiting myself to holding just two or three 70c stamps in my wallet whereas if I could buy a book of stamps covering inland postage on a standard letter, I'd happily buy a book of 10 or 20 of them.

coylemj wrote: »
    An Post could solve the problem by selling stamps that would cover inland post regardless of when they were used, I believe you can do that in the UK. It would mean that you'd be able to hold a decent stock of stamps and not have the hassle (as I did recently) of having to buy 2c 'bridging' stamps to make up the difference when the price goes up. After two price increases in the past couple of years, I'm now limiting myself to holding just two or three 70c stamps in my wallet whereas if I could buy a book of stamps covering inland postage on a standard letter, I'd happily buy a book of 10 or 20 of them.

They do. They don't publicise them very well though.

N rate for island of Ireland: https://www.irishstamps.ie/shop/c-195-love-and-marriage-2015.aspx

There are also notionally E and possibly even W rate stamps but I think they may have been issued once only - there's E stamps in this: http://www.eirephilatelicassoc.org/sites/default/files/2003_-_231.pdf

Advertisement