Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

kerten wrote: »
    I have a 05 Focus 1.6 and this year's quote was 700E from Allianz. Also My profile is worse than yours(36 years old male).

Believe me that there is no profile, nor a logic behind this :D

Some strange numbers, and - judging by the people I recently met that spend a lot of their time dealing with "numbers", skewed as hell:D

I moved from 00 (old, unsafe) 2.0 supercharged Merc coupe to a 05 Volvo s40 1.8 (Ford Focus really, younger, slow and relatively safer).

Paid €€€ extra to change (no admin charge) and have no idea why.

There is a number, somewhere, proving that the same person driving an older, 160bhp coupe is a lower risk than one changing to a rather boring, loaded with safety features, 5 years younger and slow as f**k swedish 4 door sedan.

Or, there is a stat somewhere, that the one changing car midterm is more likely to go ahead with the new quote, regardless of the cost.

I guess the second option is what happens, same with renewals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Male

3 years full licence

1 claim

Refused quote.

I reversed into a car parked across the street while reversing from my drive. A small bump.
    Left a note behind with details but couldn't afford to pay without going through insurance. Should have driven off as now I'm going to have to sell car as cannot get a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Are you in the UK like your location says. There is specialized companys who will quote you over there.

Are you in the UK like your location says. There is specialized companys who will quote you over there.

Just moved back to Ireland.
    Got a quote of 2700 with chill

Guy Sajer wrote: »
    Just moved back to Ireland.
    Got a quote of 2700 with chill

It would have been probably cheaper to fix the car you hit.

• Advertisement

It would have been probably cheaper to fix the car you hit.

I would have if I could have afforded it but the only option was insurance.

That chill insurance quote changed to 4,400 after all details given.

Guy Sajer wrote: »
    I would have if I could have afforded it but the only option was insurance.

That chill insurance quote changed to 4,400 after all details given.

Jesus that's scandalous. There used to be a company called Xs-Direct who gave cheap rates but at the cost of having a huge excess of 3,000 where by if you had a crash you had to pay the first 3,000 euro but they left the market a few years ago but came back recently but I do not know if they still operate the same way as they did back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Last year - 2002 525i Sport - Fully Comp, NCB Protection - €970, swapped to 540i from April till September, up to €1,650

This year - 2003 540i Sport 4.4 V8 Auto at 23, renewal came in at €2,431 got them down and paid €2,071 after adding the Mother and dropping my claim protection, couldn't justify the 10-15% of the renewal for it.

Last year - 2002 525i Sport - Fully Comp, NCB Protection - €970, swapped to 540i from April till September, up to €1,650

This year - 2003 540i Sport 4.4 V8 Auto at 23, renewal came in at €2,431 got them down and paid €2,071 after adding the Mother and dropping my claim protection, couldn't justify the 10-15% of the renewal for it.

That's not too bad considering the car and your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Call me crazy, but dropping NCB protection is the second most irresponsible thing, after driving without insurance, to do...

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Call me crazy, but dropping NCB protection is the second most irresponsible thing, after driving without insurance, to do...

I'm driving years and have never had NCB protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I'm driving years and have never had NCB protection.

Take it you have never had the misfortune of making a claim then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Ncb protection isn't worth the paper it's written on. You still have to disclose all claims to other companies who in turn won't quote you because of said claim. You are stuck with your current company who can then charge you what they like!

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Take it you have never had the misfortune of making a claim then.

I will admit I had a few tips in the early years but took it on the chin and started fresh again.
    Sadb wrote: »
    Ncb protection isn't worth the paper it's written on. You still have to disclose all claims to other companies who in turn won't quote you because of said claim. You are stuck with your current company who can then charge you what they like!

That was always my reasoning for not getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Didn't have it before last year, it was only 30 quid to add it last year, can't justify 300 this year.

Your Age: 36
    Car type and engine: 04 Toyota Avensis 1.8ltr
    years driving: 12 years, 11 with full licence
    any claims: yes, for own car 3 years ago €2000
    Price and provider: €564 AIG

Dh named driver, age 38.

If you come with 6 years of NCB, many companies will quote you even with a recent claim. If you come without, forget about it...

What's true is that nobody will touch you with an unsettled claim. But once this is over, it is much better to have NCB than not.

If you come with 6 years of NCB, many companies will quote you even with a recent claim. If you come without, forget about it...

What's true is that nobody will touch you with an unsettled claim. But once this is over, it is much better to have NCB than not.

I couldn't get a quote from many companies once I disclosed my claim despite it being closed and having 9 years NCB.

ETA many don't even ask about ncb anymore they simply ask "have you had a claim of any kind in the last 3/4/5 years?"

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Pokiedots

Your Age: 35
    Car type and engine: 07 Toyota Rav 4 2.2l
    years driving:11
    any claims:0
    NCB 0
    Price and provider: Paylessdirect 7368
    Liberty 5323

Pokiedots wrote: »
    Your Age: 35
    Car type and engine: 07 Toyota Rav 4 2.2l
    years driving:11
    any claims:0
    NCB 0
    Price and provider: Paylessdirect 7368
    Liberty 5323

Wow that is crazy considering your age.

• Advertisement

Wow that is crazy considering your age.

I know, I was expecting it to be high but not that high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I don't think you've tried enough insurers. I would suggest calling a broker. Costs you nothing to get a quote

I just went to get a quote from boi, disclosing my claim from 3 years ago and stating that I had 10+ years ncb. The quote was €2978!!!! Same as if I never had ncb protection.

I don't think you've tried enough insurers. I would suggest calling a broker. Costs you nothing to get a quote

I will definitely be contacting a broker in the morning, crazy stuff!

I just went to get a quote from boi, disclosing my claim from 3 years ago and stating that I had 10+ years ncb. The quote was €2978!!!! Same as if I never had ncb protection.

NCB Protection is usually only good for the insurer you are with at the time of the claim

And how much if you hadn't had NCB protection?

And how much if you hadn't had NCB protection?

It was the same amount. I did it first with no ncb and then did it with ncb and came out the same.

NCB Protection is usually only good for the insurer you are with at the time of the claim

Yep but you are then also stuck with them and they can then charge what they like. The two years previous to the claim my premium was €264 and €295. After the claim it shot up to €500 then €600. I got my renewal before the accident of €298 (accident was 10 days before renewal date) and when I went to renew I was told that that renewal quote was no longer available!

Yep but you are then also stuck with them and they can then charge what they like. The two years previous to the claim my premium was €264 and €295. After the claim it shot up to €500 then €600. I got my renewal before the accident of €298 (accident was 10 days before renewal date) and when I went to renew I was told that that renewal quote was no longer available!

So the €2,978 is not your renewal quote from your current insurer?

• Advertisement

So the €2,978 is not your renewal quote from your current insurer?

No. My renewal with my current company is €564. Someone was saying up thread that having no ncb protection was nearly as irresponsible as having no insurance and I was pointing out that ncb protection is hardly worth the paper it's written on as you still have to disclose the claim if changing company and many won't even give a quote (as happened ime) if you have had a claim, even if your ncb is still intact (which mine is as I had full ncb protection, not step back). Ncb protection is really only good for your own company and even then it's not always worth it.

Advertisement