Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Sadb wrote: »
    Ncb protection is really only good for your own company and even then it's not always worth it.

I just did run a quote through AXA, because their quotation is the fastest one...

34 YO Polisher, Driving a 2012 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI, Living in Cork, a very recent claim in 2017 for €9800.

With 6 years NCB - 1,107.03
    With 3 years NCB - 1,503.70
    With 0 years NCB - 4,082.05

NCB DOES MATTER, even for a new policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

grogi wrote: »
    I just did run a quote through AXA, because their quotation is the fastest one...

34 YO Polisher, Driving a 2012 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI, Living in Cork, a claim in 2014 for €9800.

With 3 years NCT - 1,503.70

NCB DOES MATTER...

That is not my experience with my claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Sadb wrote: »
    No. My renewal with my current company is €564. Someone was saying up thread that having no ncb protection was nearly as irresponsible as having no insurance and I was pointing out that ncb protection is hardly worth the paper it's written on as you still have to disclose the claim if changing company and many won't even give a quote (as happened ime) if you have had a claim, even if your ncb is still intact (which mine is as I had full ncb protection, not step back). Ncb protection is really only good for your own company and even then it's not always worth it.

What made you think that one of your insurer's competitors would amend their rating structure and acceptance terms because you gave your insurer extra money for bonus protection?

What made you think that one of your insurer's competitors would amend their rating structure and acceptance terms because you gave your insurer extra money for bonus protection?

I didn't

I didn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

34 YO Polisher, Driving a 2012 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI, Living in Cork, a very recent claim in 2017 for €9800.

I always buy NCB protection myself for the same reason but I was under impression that it will certainly be protected by the company you are with(higher premium minus NCB discount) and others may or may not accept it as it is.

kerten wrote: »
    I always buy NCB protection myself for the same reason but I was under impression that it will certainly be protected by the company you are with(higher premium minus NCB discount) and others may or may not accept it as it is.

At the end of your policy you get a certificate how much NCB you have earned. The certificates states how many percents of discount you have, how many years of claims free driving is needed to earn it and how many years claims free you have on that particular policy (which resets if you switch between companies).

When getting a quote you put how much discount you have (how many years this corresponds to) and disclose any claim you had in the last (typically) 5 years. If in doubt you can always ask for clarification, but that's how this usually works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Are those quotes with telling them about a claim?

honda boi wrote: »
    Are those quotes with telling them about a claim?

You call me stupid? Of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭skibum

Your Age: 51
    Car type and engine: 2001 Opel Astra 1.4
    years driving: 32
    any claims: none
    Price and provider: Allianz, €461 Renewal, fully comp with bonus protection etc

AXA quoted me €841, 123.ie €781..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

You call me stupid? Of course.

Wow no one called you stupid ,I was just asking

honda boi wrote: »
    Wow, no one called you stupid

That's what I call exaggeratation ;)
    ,I was just asking

What point would I be making if the claim wasn't even mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

lads is there anything wrong with giving the renewal date 10 days in advance of the actual renewal date to get a cheaper quote?i read a thread in here sometime ago that it reduces the price of it.(i cant find the thread)
    and it has reduced it by two hundred euro.i just want some advice on it if anyone has done it or is it ok etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

lads is there anything wrong with giving the renewal date 10 days in advance of the actual renewal date to get a cheaper quote?i read a thread in here sometime ago that it reduces the price of it.(i cant find the thread)
    and it has reduced it by two hundred euro.i just want some advice on it if anyone has done it or is it ok etc?
    that thread is over in bargain alerts

Kuva wrote: »
    that thread is over in bargain alerts

here it is, htt p://touch .boards.ie/thread/2057752858/1

here it is, htt p://touch .boards.ie/thread/2057752858/1

I just searched the first 26 pages of bargain alerts and couldn't find it.that link doesn't work.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057752858/1

I can post links now, there she is

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057752858/1

I can post links now, there she is

Thank you.much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,314 ✭✭✭✭blade1

45 years old.
    2.5 litre car
    Fully comp with stepback bonus protection.
    A.I.G. €414

Wife's car

2007 Ford Focus, 1.4
    50's, Full Licence
    No accidents, claims or points
    Comp, Full bonus protection
    Last Year; Aviva €327
    Renewal Quote; €377

Nothing beating it so far, worst quote AIG, €593

Edit; It's4women coming in at €353, not enough to leave Aviva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Wife's car

2007 Ford Focus, 1.4
    50's, Full Licence
    No accidents, claims or points
    Comp, Full bonus protection
    Last Year; Aviva €327
    Renewal Quote; €377

Nothing beating it so far, worst quote AIG, €593

Edit; It's4women coming in at €353, not enough to leave Aviva

Could you not sort her out?

theteal wrote: »
    Could you not sort her out?

Nope, her insurance has to be at the market price. I get a good deal for mine, being in the business, but it is strictly staff only. There is no gravy train for insurance staff, contrary to popular opinion here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Nope, her insurance has to be at the market price. I get a good deal for mine, being in the business, but it is strictly staff only. There is no gravy train for insurance staff, contrary to popular opinion here.

My wife gets 50% off even though staff spouse discount should only apply for people with 10 years service. She paid €320 this year for a 161 golf TSI with an open (non fault) claim

The joys of being a crooked underwriting fat cat.

:pac:

Seeing that I always achieve the targets the Cartel set me to fleece clients, I've never paid €300 for my own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,510 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So time to renew coming up at end of month.

Currently sitting at €626, for 161 Golf 1.6 TDi. (previous year was €382, shocking!).

Did some searching tonight, all these prices are for me and OH, neither of us has any claims, accidents, driving 15 & 22 years, etc. Basically less risky customers, you'd think.

Quotes so far:

Existing broker €729 (think thats with RSA)
    Chill €726
    Bank of Ireland €848 or €932
    123 €644
    AXA €653
    Allianz €468

Fair play Allianz, not taking the p1ss, think you'll be getting my business this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

My partner is insured through Ulster Bank's U First scheme with Aviva. I decided to call them to see what they could do for me, also an UB customer

Full Licence
    No points/Claims
    2005 Mercedes CL 500
    €1865

Are they all on drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Age 25
    Full licence 6 years
    NCB 7 years
    Car 2006 Alfa 159 1.9jtdm
    Quote 618 for the year with chill. Tpft, windscreen and no claims bonus fully protected

Everyone else was four figures so I'm quite happy with that quote. Down 300 on last year two.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

Car: 2008 VW Golf GT Sport
    Years driving: 12 - 10 Full license
    Claims: named driver claim from 2014 €1k ish
    Price & Provider: €646 Fully Comp with AA
    Renewal quote was €736 with AA

Edit: last year was €863 negotiated from 1001

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mr.kh

I'm on learner permit (currently shopping for a car) and was getting 3100 euro for a 2006/7 toyota yaris 1L a week ago :pac:

I heard few people saying insurance prices going down a bit, just checked with axa again and they are giving me 2500 euro for the same car model. Must be true that the prices going down, a bit. Anyone else noticed this?

2500e is still a lot though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

mr.kh wrote: »
    I'm on learner permit (currently shopping for a car) and was getting 3100 euro for a 2006/7 toyota yaris 1L a week ago :pac:

I heard few people saying insurance prices going down a bit, just checked with axa again and they are giving me 2500 euro for the same car model. Must be true that the prices going down, a bit. Anyone else noticed this?

2500e is still a lot though :D

Have you tried liberty ?

Advertisement