Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

IP freely wrote: »

Car: 01 Subaru Impreza WRX estate (218bhp)

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, protected, breakdown, windscreen cover.

Best quote: €599 through a local broker with a company called ignite. Could have got it slightly cheaper but the policy was worse, higher excess + step back only. That's with herself on the policy too.

Plesently surprised given it was €720 last year, although my insurer last year quoted me €1870 renewal. Brokers were grand price wise, the bigger companies (axa aviva ect) wanted either a ransom or wouldnt quote.

And this year €2100 is the cheapest! No changes to the above, has the world gone mad. Actually got laughed at by my current broker when I questioned the quote of €3750 and was told they only gave that quote because they have to!

Madness.

Well I had the Vaseline ready to go for this year but....

]Gender: M

Cover: Fully comp, Full NCB protection, €250 excess, uninsured driver protection, fully comp in other cars, breakdown and windscreen cover.

Best quote: €836 Chill.ie (IVERNIA INSURANCE LTD)

Got renewal though in the post of €2200 with a local broker (Octane is the company). Phoned around a few places much the same €1680 was the ballpark, as low as €1430 but it was 3rd party F&T and stepback only. and as high as €3600 via liberty, which at the end of the conversation when i said it was very expensive the lady laughed while saying you drive a subaru impreza that is 15+ years old what di you expect!

I then went online quickquote frim chill was again ballpark figure 1700 so didn't proceed with the full quote, my phone rang and the fella from Chill was talking about not a full quote online, I assumed it was a sales pitch, but alas a company only use chill and only insure drivers 30+, full no claims and specific cars for €836, i nearly bite his hand off. Kevin who phoned me was lovely too which was a pleasant surprise.

Full NCB protection, €250 excess, uninsured driver protection, fully comp in other cars, breakdown and windscreen cover.

De fooking lighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well I had the Vaseline ready to go for this year but....

]Gender: M

Cover: Fully comp, Full NCB protection, €250 excess, uninsured driver protection, fully comp in other cars, breakdown and windscreen cover.

Best quote: €836 Chill.ie (IVERNIA INSURANCE LTD)

Got renewal though in the post of €2200 with a local broker (Octane is the company). Phoned around a few places much the same €1680 was the ballpark, as low as €1430 but it was 3rd party F&T and stepback only. and as high as €3600 via liberty, which at the end of the conversation when i said it was very expensive the lady laughed while saying you drive a subaru impreza that is 15+ years old what di you expect!

I then went online quickquote frim chill was again ballpark figure 1700 so didn't proceed with the full quote, my phone rang and the fella from Chill was talking about not a full quote online, I assumed it was a sales pitch, but alas a company only use chill and only insure drivers 30+, full no claims and specific cars for €836, i nearly bite his hand off. Kevin who phoned me was lovely too which was a pleasant surprise.

Full NCB protection, €250 excess, uninsured driver protection, fully comp in other cars, breakdown and windscreen cover.

De fooking lighted.

Out of curiosity what did you pay last year?

edit: Just re-read the post and you paid 2100.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Car: 07 Hyundai Coupe 1.6

NCD: 4 years in my own name + 100 years as a named driver

Cover: Fully comp

Best quote Aviva at €490

Still not happy with that quote although it beats my Allianz renewal notice from Frank Glennon which came in at €610.
    Worst so far is Chill Insurance at a staggering €870

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

male, oap, retired, 05 ford galaxy lx turbo 1.9, never had a claim, with aviva, fully comp, renewal quote 1145, last year 720

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

flutered wrote: »
    male, oap, retired, 05 ford galaxy lx turbo 1.9, never had a claim, with aviva, fully comp, renewal quote 1145, last year 720

:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

flutered wrote: »

Try adding a driver aged around 40 to the policy, that will sometimes bring the quote down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Got the insurance sorted last week. Here are the details.
    Last year: 2016

Car 1999 Toyota Yaris 1.0

Declared Mods: Alloys

NCD: 5 years

Licence: Full 3 years

Claims: None

Cover: Third party F & T and step back protection.

Provider: FBD Insurance

Price: €950

Car: 07 Honda Civic 1.4 petrol

Declared Mods: None: Standard car

NCD: 6 years

Licence: Full 4 years

Renewal: €980 - Third party F & T and step back cover.

Provider: FBD Insurance

Best quote: €650 liberty insurance, through McSharry Foley broker.(whoops insurance)

Ould pair on the policy as named drivers: Mother - 3 points/no claims Father - 0 points/no claims

Cover: Thrid party F&T, Step back protection and added windscreen cover for €30

Total cost: €680

Other quotes:
    Axa: €1200
    123: €960
    Boxy mo €800 with blackbox. :rolleyes:
    B.O.I: €865
    AIG: €920

job seeker wrote: »

Best quote: €650 liberty insurance, through McSharry Foley broker.(whoops insurance)

Ould pair on the policy as named drivers: Mother - 3 points/no claims Father - 0 points/no claims

Cover: Thrid party F&T, Step back protection and added windscreen cover for €30

Total cost: €680

That is very reasonable considering your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

That is very reasonable considering your age.

Ya, I was very happy with that! I never thought it could come down so much. But it's mostly to do with the parents been on my policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Car: 161 Nissan leaf

Declared Mods: None: Standard car

NCD: 2 years

Claims: claim under husbands policy 2 years ago. I was at fault. Claim cost 1400.

Licence: Full 12 years

Renewal: €3013 - Fully Comp - This is up from €2500 last year!

Provider: Quote devil

Best quote from shopping around - €1228 with 25Plus. So saved myself €1785!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

07 Citroen grand Picasso 7 seats

43 Male Wife 37

2 Clean licences no points full bonus

Fully comp
    Bonus fully protected
    Driving other cars
    Windscreen cover
    Breakdown cover
    250 excess

Alliance

€437

Very happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Wife's car

2007 Ford Focus, 1.4
    50's, Full Licence
    No accidents, claims or points
    Comp, Full bonus protection
    Last Year; Aviva €327
    Renewal Quote; €377

Nothing beating it so far, worst quote AIG, €593

Edit; It's4women coming in at €353, not enough to leave Aviva

Rang Aviva and settled on €356 for the renewal. I trust them on claims

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Male 32
    Living Dublin
    Licence full Irish for 4 years - no points or claims
    Car 161 Seat Leon 1.6

Last year 880 Glennons (Allianz)
    Renewal - 1260

Best Quote is 123 at 785 fully comp

Blue insurance 880
    AXA 890
    Chill 1060
    Liberty 1200

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭A Law

Wife's car

2008 Passat, 1.4
    31, Full Licence
    Named driver, 31 yr old male.
    Last Year; allianz €450
    Renewal Quote; 571, 530 after ringing.

Went with 123 for 484, comp, ncp, windscreen, breakdown, keycare, 300 excess.
    Most companies coming in around 700. Chill were 550 as we've house insurance with them. Im with 123 so got a discount for that.

2009 Ford Focus 1.8 Diesel.
    Male.
    29, Full licence. (Less than 3 months)
    0 experience other than lessons and test.
    0 No claims.
    0 points.
    €1687 with Kennco.

Pretty happy after the quotes I was getting for other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

So, time has come for the renewal:

37 y.o, male, software engineer;
    2006 Alfa 159 1.9 JTS (Petrol, 160hp);
    Full EU (Italian) License for 18 years;
    5 years NCB;
    No claims/points ever (didn't have a car for a few years, hence the NCB of only 5 years);

Renewal from Allianz through the AA came in at 943.80, about the same as last year.

Checking around:

Liberty 2894.16
    Chill (Ivernia) 961.00
    Allianz (basic) 916.29
    Blue Insurance 1088.69 (TPFT)
    Its4Women 2171.55

At least it's not a crazy hike (went 545->700->950 in the last three years);

Wife's car

2008 Passat, 1.4
    31, Full Licence
    Named driver, 31 yr old male.
    Last Year; allianz €450
    Renewal Quote; 571, 530 after ringing.

Went with 123 for 484, comp, ncp, windscreen, breakdown, keycare, 300 excess.
    Most companies coming in around 700. Chill were 550 as we've house insurance with them. Im with 123 so got a discount for that.

I don't know how you managed to get it so cheap. How many years NCB do she have?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭A Law

I don't know how you managed to get it so cheap. How many years NCB do she have?

She has 9+ and I've got 6+. Didn't think it was cheap just based on last years. I've found 123 to be the most competitive of all the companies. Have my parents with them, and my sister went with them the other day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    So, time has come for the renewal:

37 y.o, male, software engineer;
    2006 Alfa 159 1.9 JTS (Petrol, 160hp);
    Full EU (Italian) License for 18 years;
    5 years NCB;
    No claims/points ever (didn't have a car for a few years, hence the NCB of only 5 years);

Renewal from Allianz through the AA came in at 943.80, about the same as last year.

Checking around:

Liberty 2894.16
    Chill (Ivernia) 961.00
    Allianz (basic) 916.29
    Blue Insurance 1088.69 (TPFT)
    Its4Women 2171.55

At least it's not a crazy hike (went 545->700->950 in the last three years);

I honestly think that Italian license is costing you a couple of 100
    1 EU my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

inforfun wrote: »
    I honestly think that Italian license is costing you a couple of 100
    1 EU my arse.

More than that - I've run quotes with "Full Irish" and some (don't remember the companies, but was through mig.ie) came out around the 560 marker - even with the "country of issue" for the license being Italy; The mysterious power of a piece of plastic making you "less of a risk" for undisclosed reasons. Surely it won't have anything to do with the relatively high number of EU license holders driving in the country, can't be...:mad:

• Advertisement

In the end I went with Acorn insurance for €470 including full bonus protection, breakdown assist and every conceivable extra.
    It's with Zenith who have said they will be pulling out of the Irish market next year but will still maintain cover for existing policies.

That was last year. This year:

47 yr old male + 49 yr old spouse as named driver (with own car)
    Car: Renault Fluence 1.5l
    NCB: 9+ years for both of us
    Licence: Full Irish 23 years

Renewal from Acorn with Footprint Insurance is 437 including full NCB protection, breakdown assist etc.

I checked every insurer that do online quotes and they quoted me between 484 (Aviva) and 777 (First Ireland) for the same level of cover. Sheridan Insurance were the exception in that their best quote was just below 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

30 yr old male + 32 yr old partner as named driver (also owns own car)
    Car: Seat Leon 2.0 TDI 150BHP
    NCB: +5 years for both of us
    Licence: Full Irish 12 years
    Claims: 0
    An Post renewal price : 580 Fully comprehensive, down from about 700 last year.

Best price shopping around was 123.ie who were quoting 940e. Liberty wanted 1800+.

That's 2 good years in a row with An Post for me, very happy with the service throughout the year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

30 yr old male + 32 yr old partner as named driver (also owns own car)
    Car: Seat Leon 2.0 TDI 150BHP
    NCB: +5 years for both of us
    An Post renewal price : 580 Fully comprehensive, down from about 700 last year.

Best price shopping around was 123.ie who were quoting 940e. Liberty wanted 1800+.

That's 2 good years in a row with An Post for me, very happy with the service throughout the year too.

Be sure to confirm with An Post 2 things
    1. If penalty point discount in place = how much is it as that is retractable and means major cost for simple 3 pp for speed/seatbelt or holding phone

2. Confirm have you a) total loss (b) stepback bonus or (c) full protect bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

cplwhisper wrote: »
    2. Confirm have you a) total loss (b) stepback bonus or (c) full protect bonus

With Post Insurance you can also have NCD Bonus protection with step back...

So there are four options:
    - No protection
    - NCD Step Back
    - NCD Protection (two unlimited claims in a three year period)
    - NCD Protection with step back.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

grogi wrote: »
    With Post Insurance you can also have NCD Bonus protection with step back...

So there are four options:
    - No protection
    - NCD Step Back
    - NCD Protection (two unlimited claims in a three year period)
    - NCD Protection with step back.

I know but didn’t want to confuse OP as insurance jargon not easy even for us staff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

37 Male (main driver) + 34 Female
    Car: 2002 Golf GTI 1.8t 150bhp
    NCB: 6 years
    Cover: Third party, fire and theft with stepback and windscreen cover.
    Previous year insurance: €508 Post Insurance
    An Post renewal price : €688

Quotes:
    Campion €1096.76 Online Quote, after a phone call could get it down to €852
    Chill €949 Phone Quote
    AA €889 Online Quote
    Liberty €868.62 Online Quote
    123 €832.19 Online Quote
    Britton €761.54 Online Quote
    25plus €718.00 (Comprehensive Cover) Online Quote

I might have to suck it up and take the €180 increase with post insurance as it looks like that's still the cheapest by far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Renewal time again..........:(

35 male based in Carlow
    Car: 2003 BMW 320d
    NCB: Maximum
    Licence: Full Irish 10 years
    Insurer - Bank of Ireland/RSA Ireland
    Cover: Third party, fire and theft with stepback
    Previous year: €475
    This year's renewal: €559

These prices inclusive of €140 discount for being BoI account holder.

Had a quick check around on all the usual suspects and got the life scared out of me. Thought Halloween was over. Have had about a €160 increase in the two years since I've used BoI. Considering the low starting point, can't complain I suppose.
    Also tried the trick of re-entering my details as a new customer. Was quoted €1200 for the very same cover and benefits. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Now, based on the above i guess mine will be around the 490/500 mark then next month.

Also half/half looking for another car as mine start to fall apart a little too much and hits the 15 year age.
    But if you select a certain model, get 106 hits and then select "petrol" and only 1 hit remains, it will mean it will be a hard task to find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

inforfun wrote: »
    Now, based on the above i guess mine will be around the 490/500 mark then next month.

Also half/half looking for another car as mine start to fall apart a little too much and hits the 15 year age.
    But if you select a certain model, get 106 hits and then select "petrol" and only 1 hit remains, it will mean it will be a hard task to find something.

UK is pretty much the only option if you want a choice of petrol cars that are less than 8 years old :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

I never understand how they come up with the figures I was with liberty for years then last year they wanted 1500 to renew, so went to the AA for 800, this year the AA wanted 1000 so I'm going back to liberty for 530.

Advertisement