Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

calnand wrote: »
    I never understand how they come up with the figures I was with liberty for years then last year they wanted 1500 to renew, so went to the AA for 800, this year the AA wanted 1000 so I'm going back to liberty for 530.

It's a lottery!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    My partner is insured through Ulster Bank's U First scheme with Aviva. I decided to call them to see what they could do for me, also an UB customer

Full Licence
    No points/Claims
    2005 Mercedes CL 500
    €1865

Are they all on drugs?

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

calnand wrote: »
    I never understand how they come up with the figures I was with liberty for years then last year they wanted 1500 to renew, so went to the AA for 800, this year the AA wanted 1000 so I'm going back to liberty for 530.

I'm beginning to think it's a dartboard with random Euro amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Agricola wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think it's a dartboard with random Euro amounts.

I think the way they actually do it is this way:

Edit: Damn YoyTube video will not work while embedded just click to see it on YouTube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Went from 550 last year to being quoted 720 this year. Same car, an extra years no claims.

I called them up and said that I heard insurance was going down not up, he said that was a misconception due to an article in the Indo a while back and that the reductions haven't kicked in yet. I said that's fine but doesn't explain a 31% increase either. Some joke hi.

Managed to get it at about 630 in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Net

moved from AVIVA to AA last year because AVIVA was looking for 1000+ and AA offer 790.
    just got the renew letter and AA now looking for 1137.
    best quote offer 995 so far.
    this is insane!
    12 years clean drive, no claim no points.
    Full Licence 10 year+

2009 opel insignia 2.0 cdti 160bph

€995 ~ €1137

still looking for better price, any idea?

Net wrote: »
    moved from AVIVA to AA last year because AVIVA was looking for 1000+ and AA offer 790.
    this is insane!
    Full Licence 10 year+

€995 ~ €1137

I'm AA. Call them first thing tomorrow. Tell them you've a quote elsewhere for 800 but you want to stay with them. They might not get down to 800 but they will drop significantly.

FYI, if you have AA roadside they apply a discount to your premium, and last year the discount was cheaper than the cost of the Roadside cover so I got it and saved money. If you have that you can also drive any car fully comp, not third party.

Oh and if you're on direct debit call them ASAP as once it's within like 3/4 days of the new policy they have to cancel the renewed policy and start a new one so you'll have to pay a deposit.

Hi, Jayop

thanks for the advice, will do first thing tomorrow and yes, I have a AA member with them from last year. BTW, the open driver thing is good. thanks again.

You get a discount for having home insurance too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Net wrote: »
    this is insane!
    Full Licence 10 year+

€995 ~ €1137

Did you try Allianz? I'm not too dissimilar, got it for around €630 with all the extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

Just spent the morning ringing around insurance companies as 123.ie tried to increase my 3rd party premium from €688 to €1025 to reward me for another years safe motoring.......:mad:

Male 33
    Full Irish Licence for 12 years
    3 penalty points which expire next month
    9 years No claims cert- Never made a claim or have been involved in a crash.

Wife 33 - As named Driver
    3 points, full licence for 15 years. Also has her own car.

Car
    Audi TT - 2.0tfsi - 2007 - 200BHP
    No modifications

123.ie : 3rd Party: Previous year €688, This Year €1025
    Aviva: 3rd Party: €1798
    Liberty: 3rd Party €982
    Chill: €852 fully comp with Ivernia.

Went with Post insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭phester28

try chill. they are the agent for a new underwriter ivernia and they were competitive for me

went post too, thanks for the info, I got comprehensive for 780 with full protected NCD.

Thanks to Jayop too, I tried to push AA, but they....................well put this way, I am feeling that the companies are trying to push their customers around by raise up the price and force people to accept higher insurance every year.

am I the only person think this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I think they issue high renewals in the hope that customers just renew their insurance rather than shopping around. I know that's exactly what my old man does every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Damn just got my renewal €513.00 gone to €742.00 on a 1.6lt

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Damn just got my renewal €513.00 gone to €742.00 on a 1.6lt

But what year-make & model of 1.6 ltr ?
    Any change in occup/claims or Penalty points ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Your Age: 36
    Car type and engine: 1.5 Qashqai + 2 1.5 Dzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzl
    years driving: 16 on a full licence
    any claims: nada (full NCB)
    penalty points: nada
    Price and provider: 600 with Liberty

Got them down to 490 on the phone with a bit of smooth talk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

age 52
    35 years full licence
    No claims or points ever
    BMW 318i - 2001 with only 67k miles
    TPFT with AIG jumped from €650 to €1087 !!
    Liberty quoting €670

Presume getting screwed because of car age

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Full Irish for 9+ years, full no claims, no points, car garaged etc.

2005 BMW 740Li

Renewal is €1320. Up €100.

Rang Liberty, €2580. "is that a quote you might be interested in?" "........."

When it comes to motoring in this country, it's an absolute p1sstake. The joke of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Full Irish for 9+ years, full no claims, no points, car garaged etc.

2005 BMW 740Li

Renewal is €1320. Up €100.

Rang Liberty, €2580. "is that a quote you might be interested in?" "........."

When it comes to motoring in this country, it's an absolute p1sstake. The joke of Europe.

That quote with PostInsurance?

No BOI. The only ones out of 12+ phone calls who come in under €1500, and only because I bank with them.

No BOI. The only ones out of 12+ phone calls who come in under €1500, and only because I bank with them.

Has your insurance usually been over a thousand? Or is this just a recent thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

No claims, convictions or penalty points, full no claims bonus
    Quotes for fully comp with stepback
    Car: Audi A5 2.7D multitronic sports coupe
    Last year: 580E with itsforwomen
    Renewal: 622E
    Best: Renewal price with itsforwomen still cannot be beaten and very happy with it as know the car is pushing the premium up, but its worth it
    Reasonable alternative: Bank of Ireland - 679E, but no extra charge for monthly payments, so their monthly was closer to itsforwomens price, but slightly less cover.
    Worst: liberty Insurance 2,900E - spacers

One thing I did notice was that 2 year stepback varies with insurers. With some companies it means going back 2 yrs from 5 yrs back to 3 yrs , while others are actually taking 3yrs off and bringing it back to 2 yrs, bit of a sneaky one, as some would presume it was 2 yrs off and not back to 2 - this was double checked with several companies before anyone asks.
    People should also be aware that stepback is only valid with your insurer, no other company with recognise it. So while you think you protect it, you only do so with your insurer who you then have to rely on not to overcharge you, knowing you are then most likely stuck with them......its a bit of a con job IMO , what say rest of you?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Has your insurance usually been over a thousand? Or is this just a recent thing?

No the same car 4 years ago was €800. As i've gotten older and full no claims etc, its just gone up and up and up. And the narkiness of the people on the other end of the phone along the lines of "what do you expect".

No the same car 4 years ago was €800. As i've gotten older and full no claims etc, its just gone up and up and up. And the narkiness of the people on the other end of the phone along the lines of "what do you expect".

Have a ten year old run around as a second car. 1.4 Golf. I'm worried that we're going to start seeing such unwarranted increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

lawred2 wrote: »
    Have a ten year old run around as a second car. 1.4 Golf. I'm worried that we're going to start seeing such unwarranted increases.

It's a joke alright. Some of the quotes are actually higher than what the car is worth :confused:

Had to bite the bullet this year and buy a newer car (152) as I was getting quotes for nearly €1000 for an '03 Fiesta!:mad:

It was a grand wee motor that never gave me a day of trouble and now it's scrapped because MSL don't sell old motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Faith+1 wrote: »
    It's a joke alright. Some of the quotes are actually higher than what the car is worth :confused:

You are not insuring the car. You're insuring the drivers to drive the car. It makes absolutely no sense to compare the insurance premium to the value of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

grogi wrote: »
    You are not insuring the car. You're insuring the drivers to drive the car. It makes absolutely no sense to compare the insurance premium to the value of the car.

Yes it does actually. If you have a perfectly fine older car but it's costing you €1500 for the privilege to drive it, then that's the cost of insurance. Driving a newer car usually brings down the cost of insurance but you shouldn't be forced to upgrade if the car passes it's NCT, has no history of claims, if the driver has no history of claims etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

grogi wrote: »

My car is only driven by myself.
    In the next couple of week i expect my new quote and the only difference there will be with last year is that my car got 1 year older, and so did I.

No claims\accidents\penalty points in 2017.

I was quoted and paid €412 for a 03 Laguna in DEC2016.

Watch this space.....

Advertisement