Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭A Law

lawred2 wrote: »
    10 year old golf.... 485

It's not universal

17 year old BMW. Somewhere around 600 in august with 123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

NCB: 0

Car: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X, RS

Fully Comp, €450
    Who was this quote for?
    Not you obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Just got quoted €1800 from AIG.
    2006 1.6l Volkswagen Passat.
    Age 37
    Full licence 11 years, no points and full NCD.
    A complete joke and some places won't even quote.

AIG did something similar to my 05 Focus by jumping from 600Euro to 950 Euro during this year's renewal.

Obviously they are trying to clean up old cars from their portfolio.

Allianz seemed to be good insurer with old cars in these days. My broker switched me to them for 700 Euro after AIG pumped the price up.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsparkle69

Fully Comp, €450

Is that for you as main driver or named? Also what insurer quoted you?

I've a full licence, over 25, no claims or anything and the lowest I could get on my standard Lancer was around €1600. Had to change car in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Fully Comp, €450
    Is that for you as main driver or named? Also what insurer quoted you?

I've a full licence, over 25, no claims or anything and the lowest I could get on my standard Lancer was around €1600. Had to change car in the end!

I’m pretty sure it was a lie.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

My 2 year policy with Blue is up for renewal, was €715 2 yrs ago, looking for €1200 now. Not happy, I am now free of any penalty points and a claim from over 5 years ago so not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Fully Comp, €450

my money is on the 450 being the monthly payment and not the policy premium in full :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AngryGoldfish

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, and I've already asked it in another part of the forum so no worries either way, but does anyone have any idea whether the 1.2L diesel 75BHP engine that's found in cars like the VW Polo and SEAT Ibiza is going to be substantially more expensive to insure over a 1.0L petrol 75BHP engine that's found in cars like the VW Up and SEAT Mii? This is for a driver who's been on insurance for 12 months with no claims. Is insurance quoted purely on engine size and (mostly) ignores other factors such as acceleration, top speed, horsepower, torque, etc? The SEAT Mii with a 1.0L petrol 75BHP engine actually might be a little faster than the 1.2L diesel, but will the diesel be more expensive? I'll ask the same regarding turbos. Will a 1.0L with a turbo be less expensive to insure than a 1.4L that's actually slightly slower? I know an insurance quote will factor in safety, statistics, age, and many other factors, but speaking purely from an engine size perspective and how that influences prices, what kind of price difference will there be between a SEAT Ibiza 2013 1.2 diesel 75bhp to a 1.0L petrol SEAT Mii 2013 75bhp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, and I've already asked it in another part of the forum so no worries either way, but does anyone have any idea whether the 1.2L diesel 75BHP engine that's found in cars like the VW Polo and SEAT Ibiza is going to be substantially more expensive to insure over a 1.0L petrol 75BHP engine that's found in cars like the VW Up and SEAT Mii? This is for a driver who's been on insurance for 12 months with no claims. Is insurance quoted purely on engine size and (mostly) ignores other factors such as acceleration, top speed, horsepower, torque, etc? The SEAT Mii with a 1.0L petrol 75BHP engine actually might be a little faster than the 1.2L diesel, but will the diesel be more expensive? I'll ask the same regarding turbos. Will a 1.0L with a turbo be less expensive to insure than a 1.4L that's actually slightly slower? I know an insurance quote will factor in safety, statistics, age, and many other factors, but speaking purely from an engine size perspective and how that influences prices, what kind of price difference will there be between a SEAT Ibiza 2013 1.2 diesel 75bhp to a 1.0L petrol SEAT Mii 2013 75bhp?

I went from a 2.0l Ford to a honda 1.6l and was told Honda's attract higher premium, No other explanation given and it was not an import.
    As i already said i then changed to a 1.6l Passat and was quoted crazy prices.
    It's like a lucky bag trying to get some sort of decent quote these days

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AngryGoldfish

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I went from a 2.0l Ford to a honda 1.6l and was told Honda's attract higher premium, No other explanation given and it was not an import.
    As i already said i then changed to a 1.6l Passat and was quoted crazy prices.
    It's like a lucky bag trying to get some sort of decent quote these days

I thought that be the case. Worth a try. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭spookwoman

2008 fiat punto
    695.83 with AA.
    Clean Licence
    claim made in 2016 after car v unchipped dog incident.
    635 with quotedevil I did increase the excess.
    Cheeky sods then send text saying they had a great deal after I told them I had changed to another company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

My 2 year policy with Blue is up for renewal, was €715 2 yrs ago, looking for €1200 now. Not happy, I am now free of any penalty points and a claim from over 5 years ago so not impressed.

That was always going to happen with then. Premiums of €355 are simply not sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That was always going to happen with then. Premiums of €355 are simply not sustainable.

I always thought the quotes for those two year policies were for each year of those two years?

Did I have that wrong!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

lawred2 wrote: »
    I always thought the quotes for those two year policies were for each year of those two years?

Did I have that wrong!?

I believe so.

Afaik it was you pay premium of x at inception and you don't pay anything more for 24 months, I'm open to correction though.

I believe so.

Afaik it was you pay premium of x at inception and you don't pay anything more for 24 months, I'm open to correction though.

Correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Afaik it was you pay premium of x at inception and you don't pay anything more for 24 months.

If that's the case that above linked quote is very reasonable. Only 600 a year. You just have to look through this thread and see a lot are paying close to the 2 year policy for one year.

What you paid two years ago with points and a claim was extremely cheap.

If that's the case that above linked quote is very reasonable. Only 600 a year. You just have to look through this thread and see a lot are paying close to the 2 year policy for one year.

What you paid two years ago with points and a claim was extremely cheap.

Just signed off on €1050 for 2 years which I’m happy enough with. Raised my excess to €500 though which makes me slightly nervous but that saved about €80 overall, the other €60 a goodwill reduction!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just got renewal quote from Bank of Ireland
    full no claims bonus
    no points
    no accidents
    been driving years
    Opel Astra 1.4 1998
    Fully comprehensive
    €344 or monthly €378,
    don't think ill bother ringing round, wont do better then that for a "God, 20 yrs old next year!
    (been with them 3 yrs)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Just got renewal quote from Bank of Ireland
    full no claims bonus
    no points
    no accidents
    been driving years
    Opel Astra 1.4 1998
    Fully comprehensive
    €344 or monthly €378,
    don't think ill bother ringing round, wont do better then that for a "God, 20 yrs old next year!
    (been with them 3 yrs)

€344 for the year or €378 a month which is €4536?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

The Nal wrote: »

I think they meanthe price goes up to 378 if you pay monthly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Got my renewal this morning from Liberty, nearly €1500.
    Think I will go with the An Post quote of €850.

4 years ncb
    No claims
    No points
    Over 30 years old, driving 13 years.
    1.2 litre 171 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Supervalue quoted me €1200

Bank of Ireland quoted me €615

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Jacovs wrote: »
    Got my renewal this morning from Liberty, nearly €1500.
    Think I will go with the An Post quote of €850.

4 years ncb
    No claims
    No points
    Over 30 years old, driving 13 years.
    1.2 litre 171 car.

Seems very high?

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Seems very high?

Oh it is. Used to drive an 03 1.0 and was always around €1000 "because the age of the car". Switched to new car and they want more "because the value of the car".
    So €800-900 isnt too bad for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

that's an awful quote on a new car but 4 years no claims and driving 13 years, do you still have a claim on your record from the last 5 years so? in that case the quote isn't too awful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Jacovs wrote: »
    Oh it is. Used to drive an 03 1.0 and was always around €1000 "because the age of the car". Switched to new car and they want more "because the value of the car".
    So €800-900 isnt too bad for me at the moment.

You really cant win with insurance these days. I was driving an 03 myself this year and decided to upgrade to a newer model (152). Anyway, they increased the price because it was newer, yet when I had the 03 they were increasing the price because the car was old! Its a joke.

I got my renewal with 123.ie (RSA policy) today and its gone up by 20 quid.

So it's....

Age 32
    Car - 1.2 Fiesta Titanium 152
    No claims - 8 years ( windscreen claim)
    Full licence 9 years
    No points

€565 Fully comp.

I tried pricing around and everyone is at least 150 to 200 more expensive. And the less I say about FBD the better, dont know what they're smoking when it comes to quotes.

that's an awful quote on a new car but 4 years no claims and driving 13 years, do you still have a claim on your record from the last 5 years so? in that case the quote isn't too awful

Nope no claims. Just is what it is at the moment. Will see if I add my mother in law does it make a difference, though she only has a provisional so will probably go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The Nal wrote: »

No, goes up to €378 if i pay monthly.,

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mixer7

Car type/ engine :merc c220 2007
    Year driving :10
    Any claims :no
    Price & Provider : €453 pay in full ,123.ie

Snap their hands off ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I just replicated this
    They quote me 666 !
    TPFT