Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

33 Male (main driver) + 32 Female in Dublin
    Car: 2007 BMW 530i LCI
    NCB: 7 years
    Licence: Full Irish 14 years
    Claims: 0
    Cover: Fully comp, fully protected no claims and windscreen cover.
    Previous year insurance: €540 Post Insurance (estimate as I changed policy mid year from a CLK), increased excess to €600
    An Post renewal price : €731

I moved the week before renewal so quotes are for new address...

Quotes:
    PostInsurance (new cust): €695
    Allianz: €886
    AIG: €754
    123.ie: €1062
    Chill: €873
    AA: €1700
    AXA: €1484
    Liberty: €1187
    Aviva: €1266
    25plus: €940
    FBD: No quote
    KennCo: €1197
    Britton: €965

Once I had the above quotes, I rang PostInsurance with my new address for renewal and after some discussion etc, they came in with €592 which I'm happy with considering the car and other quotes I've been seeing others get!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

commited wrote: »
    33 Male (main driver) + 32 Female in Dublin
    Car: 2007 BMW 530i LCI
    NCB: 7 years
    Licence: Full Irish 14 years
    Claims: 0
    Cover: Fully comp, fully protected no claims and windscreen cover.
    Previous year insurance: €540 Post Insurance (estimate as I changed policy mid year from a CLK), increased excess to €600
    An Post renewal price : €731

I moved the week before renewal so quotes are for new address...

Quotes:
    PostInsurance (new cust): €695
    Allianz: €886
    AIG: €754
    123.ie: €1062
    Chill: €873
    AA: €1700
    AXA: €1484
    Liberty: €1187
    Aviva: €1266
    25plus: €940
    FBD: No quote
    KennCo: €1197
    Britton: €965

Once I had the above quotes, I rang PostInsurance with my new address for renewal and after some discussion etc, they came in with €592 which I'm happy with considering the car and other quotes I've been seeing others get!

1. Confirm what is the value of the penalty point discount they have calculated you got off the premium before you got the €592

2. Confirm with An Post do you have
    -total loss NCB (**)
    -stepback NCB(**)
    -protect NCB (**)

(**) Excess = €?? And does Fire & Theft ever effect NCB

3. Clarify how much move than the €592 will you pay if you pay be direct debit as both Deposit and interest rate can add to a lot more than €592

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I can't understand how bad it really is, wife's dad is 64 and driving since 2000 and never claimed or crashed etc.

His insurance was €792 with his usual insurer AA and I got it for him on its4women for €492...

Still very steep to be honest.

Ford focus
    1.6 petrol.

Must have missed the memo on it been a death trap as its high powered!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

They must love this crack of people putting their excess through the roof, another added bonus their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Renewal Quote for Opel Zafira 2008 1.6 came in with Aviva,
    ( 2 car family 98 Astra quote already posted with BOI)
    full no claims bonus,
    no accidents ,
    no points,
    Driving years,
    Fully Comp €284 or €372 if i pay monthly,
    Seems a cheap quote, goes up a good bit for paying monthly i thought for over 9 months.
    but €284! will pay in one go, do have €600 excess and house insurance with them don't know if that's why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

cplwhisper wrote: »
    1. Confirm what is the value of the penalty point discount they have calculated you got off the premium before you got the €592

2. Confirm with An Post do you have
    -total loss NCB (**)
    -stepback NCB(**)
    -protect NCB (**)

(**) Excess = €?? And does Fire & Theft ever effect NCB

3. Clarify how much move than the €592 will you pay if you pay be direct debit as both Deposit and interest rate can add to a lot more than €592

1. No idea, have put away policy documentation but PostInsurance ad quotes 27%.
    2. As stated in post above NCB is protected. Excess is €600.
    3. No idea, I always pay in full so don't really care!

Edit: Just noticed you worked for AXA from other posts. Was keen to go with AXA several times in the past but for some reason I always get ludicrously high quotes from them online and can't do much better on the phone, same for my classic policy that is due soon too. That said, I've always had cars that are considered high performance in Ireland - I think this might be my cheapest ever renewal quote :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

commited wrote: »
    1. No idea, have put away policy documentation but PostInsurance ad quotes 27%.
    2. As stated in post above NCB is protected. Excess is €600.
    3. No idea, I always pay in full so don't really care!

Edit: Just noticed you worked for AXA from other posts. Was keen to go with AXA several times in the past but for some reason I always get ludicrously high quotes from them online and can't do much better on the phone, same for my classic policy that is due soon too. That said, I've always had cars that are considered high performance in Ireland - I think this might be my cheapest ever renewal quote :pac:

shopping trolleys are considered high performance for the purposes of insurance in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

lawred2 wrote: »
    shopping trolleys are considered high performance for the purposes of insurance in Ireland

And rightly so. If you've modified one to the extent that it is now governed by the Road Traffic Act, expect to pay a higher than normal premium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Just to add my quotes
    40+ male teacher, no penalty points, no claims,
    Wife as second driver with own car / policy
    161 Citroen 1.6 Diesel
    Class 1 - 20000km/y
    Longford <-- Big loading apparently
    All excesses around the 300 mark

With AIG since 2013
    2013- €292 2014=€322 2015=370 2016=€445 2017=€683 2018=€799 (renewal quote)

123.ie 767
    FBD 733
    AXA 763
    Alliance 715
    Aviva 577
    Zurich - call
    AIG - 877 (current insurer)
    Cornmarket 857 (with 450 excess)
    Blue 834 (one year)

I'll have to ring 123 as wife's with them / house policy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

KAGY wrote: »
    Just to add my quotes
    40+ male teacher, no penalty points, no claims,
    Wife as second driver with own car / policy
    161 Citroen 1.6 Diesel
    Class 1 - 20000km/y
    Longford <-- Big loading apparently
    All excesses around the 300 mark

With AIG since 2013
    2013- €292 2014=€322 2015=370 2016=€445 2017=€683 2018=€799 (renewal quote)

123.ie 767
    FBD 733
    AXA 763
    Alliance 715
    Aviva 577
    Zurich - call
    AIG - 877 (current insurer)
    Cornmarket 857 (with 450 excess)
    Blue 834 (one year)

I'll have to ring 123 as wife's with them / house policy too.

Jaysus! In your 40's driving a 161 and your wife as named driver and getting quotes of mostly 700 plus...wtf??

My own renewal is just over a €1000 with AIG for 2018. With them since 2015 and payed €550 then. Same car last 5 years (though its a 04 tdi) in my 30's with full no claims, no named driver and im fuming over that increase.

Id have thought you have the perfect profile for cheap insurance, absolute madness whats going on with insurance...sickening.

• Advertisement

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Jaysus! In your 40's driving a 161 and your wife as named driver and getting quotes of mostly 700 plus...wtf??

Id have thought you have the perfect profile for cheap insurance, absolute madness whats going on with insurance...sickening.
    I know, but there's little you can do but bend over and take it.
    Without my wife named I was quoted over a grand, and it was 100 quid or so -less- when I did a similar quote in Cavan!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Just got my renewal from boi insured with rsa gone up to 728 from 667 last year no changes 46 full licence/no claims no points 2012 2l diesel avensis,

Just to follow up, managed to get just below 600/with 123 when I rang them and got extra 20% discount as wife is with them, then back onto web to actually buy it for another 10%
    Now I just have to put up with ask the other companies calling me back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

ofcork wrote: »
    Just got my renewal from boi insured with rsa gone up to 728 from 667 last year no changes 46 full licence/no claims no points 2012 2l diesel avensis,

Tried a couple of brokers in town today all coming in over 700!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

inforfun wrote: »
    My car is only driven by myself.
    In the next couple of week i expect my new quote and the only difference there will be with last year is that my car got 1 year older, and so did I.

No claims\accidents\penalty points in 2017.

I was quoted and paid €412 for a 03 Laguna in DEC2016.

Watch this space.....
    lawred2 wrote: »
    I'll be very interested to hear this

Drumroll...............

€515 renewal quote

A 25% increase.... for what?
    At the same time..... cant see myself doing better anywhere else. Might give Aviva a go as they were the closest 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

inforfun wrote: »
    Drumroll...............

€515 renewal quote

A 25% increase.... for what?
    At the same time..... cant see myself doing better anywhere else. Might give Aviva a go as they were the closest 2 years ago.

Seems reasonable as in there is not much other details giving. Even if you are in your 40's it still seems as good as it will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Seems reasonable as in there is not much other details giving. Even if you are in your 40's it still seems as good as it will get.

The amount might seem reasonable, a 25% increase for no reason whatsoever or in any case no reason i contributed to, isnt reasonable.

I wish i was still in my 40's... and almost 30 years a full license. No points, "only" 8 years ncb because i lost the ncb i had in holland which was 10+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

45 yrs
    Honda Accord 2006
    Using car for some business use
    Full NCB, long term full licence, no points etc

Quotes include NCB protection, comprehensive, windscreen etc

Last years insurance was €874

€902 Renewal quote from 25plus.ie (after using the discount code)
    €867 Britton insurance (online quote) with €500 excess

Don't think I'll ring other companies as I doubt i'll get better. Many will not insure for occasional business use.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

45 yrs
    Honda Accord 2006
    Using car for some business use
    Full NCB, long term full licence, no points etc

Quotes include NCB protection, comprehensive, windscreen etc

Last years insurance was €874

€902 Renewal quote from 25plus.ie (after using the discount code)
    €867 Britton insurance (online quote) with €500 excess

Don't think I'll ring other companies as I doubt i'll get better. Many will not insure for occasional business use.

Some will, I had class 1 added without asking for it with one of the cheap companies in the past. Unfortunately don't remember which one as I switch almost every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

wonski wrote: »
    Some will, I had class 1 added without asking for it with one of the cheap companies in the past. Unfortunately don't remember which one as I switch almost every year.

Ok - cool. I might give a few a call. Its just last year hardly any did without a massive jump in cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LemmyKilmister

Nissan Patrol 3.3l from 1988
    41 y.o. From the EU. Full license since 1996.
    No history as a driver in the ROI.

Quote from broker: 4220 euros

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Any suggestions?

Rent a car for the year? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Rent a car for the year? :eek:

Renting is a good idea but you’ve an old car, very large engine and no history so aside from having a prior drink driving ban your looking at top quotes. Some companies will accept prior EU history, best go to a smaller broker like Glennons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Do you need the Patrol for a farm? if not id buy a 1L car and drive it for a few years to build NCB. The money you save on taxing a 3.3L motor should easily pay for the insurance on the 1L

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LemmyKilmister

Do you need the Patrol for a farm? if not id buy a 1L car and drive it for a few years to build NCB. The money you save on taxing a 3.3L motor should easily pay for the insurance on the 1L

The point of having such an old car is to avoid paying the hefty road tax. Many thanks for your help though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Any suggestions?

Check Allianz. They seem to accept NCB from EU, not only Ireland/UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

The point of having such an old car is to avoid paying the hefty road tax. Many thanks for your help though.

Just realized that it’s 30 years old this year so you could get a vintage policy on it maybe. You could post a query on the Classic Car forum where you might get other idea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

get a small 1 litre car as your daily driver and get a classic policy on the pajero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

get a small 1 litre car as your daily driver and get a classic policy on the pajero

Didn't think you could get vintage on Japanese/Asian cars.

Advertisement