Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

JamboMac wrote: »
    Didn't think you could get vintage on Japanese/Asian cars.

maybe not I don't know but you can get classic cover on some fairly young cars now too so would be worth looking into this route

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bubbles_87

My boyfriend got classic insurance on his nisan skyline r32 yesterday. €500 for the year but thats with having another car as his main driver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Renewal quote + bit of a discount.

€1,249.75 w/ Liberty

27 years old
    1 year NCB (left country for 2 years therefore resetting driving history)
    2012 1.6 Ford Focus Zetec S

Couldn't get a sniff of anything under €1600 with anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

30 Male, licience 10 years, 9 years NCB, no points, convictions, accidents, claims ect.. driving 2008 2.0 Petrol Mondeo, Fully Comp

Renewal with Allianz came in at 716 , down from 785 last year but I did have a car change from a 2003 1.8 Petrol Mondeo, nobody even came close to matching it.

123.ie 889.27
    AA Ireland 1050
    Aviva 979
    AXA 990
    Bank of Ireland 1213
    Chill 1390
    FBD 1169
    First Ireland 1104
    Liberty 4234.26
    Sullivan insurances 1340
    Zurich 1814

I did ring a few others and brokers but I stopped taking notes as they were all over 1K but Liberty did give me my annual laugh with 4234.26

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

What's the story with Liberty, you have a better chance of getting a good quote if you are 17 with a provisional license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

lolliedog wrote: »
    What's the story with Liberty, you have a better chance of getting a good quote if you are 17 with a provisional license.

They are weird, indeed. I was getting much better quotes on a Corsa OPC (almost 200 bhp) than bulk standard Focus 1.6 with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I don’t know what’s up with Liberty, I never seem to be able to get a decent quote from them, on the other hand Allianz do seem to like me

From my posts in previous years.
    2016 Liberty 2162.01 (Policy with Allianz €860)
    2017 Liberty 3116.84 (Policy with Allianz €785)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭9935452

grogi wrote: »
    lolliedog wrote: »

They are weird, indeed. I was getting much better quotes on a Corsa OPC (almost 200 bhp) than bulk standard Focus 1.6 with them...

The car is rarer.
    Less of a history of accidents with one of them I would assume

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Liberty were the best for my son this year. 25, Full Licence, 1 year NCB '10 Panda. Came in at €1,350 Comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Liberty were the best for my son this year. 25, Full Licence, 1 year NCB '10 Panda. Came in at €1,350 Comp.

Liberty really are going all out to get the young drivers.They seem to be consistently the cheapest for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So we frequently hear about how membership of the EU is so good for us - an especially current sentiment considering Brexit.

Is it not fairly clear at this stage that incident free competent and highly insurable drivers are being gouged?

Why have Irish people not benefited from access to the plethora of insurers across the EU?

lawred2 wrote: »
    So we frequently hear about how membership of the EU is so good for us - an especially current sentiment considering Brexit.

Is it not fairly clear at this stage that incident free competent and highly insurable drivers are being gouged?

Why have Irish people not benefited from access to the plethora of insurers across the EU?

Because Irish regulations are not compatible.

I can buy a temporary TPL insurance policy based on a VIN number of a car from another EU state - but any Garda I asked says it would be invalid in Ireland. It is valid and the car would eventually be released, but not worth the cost and effort unfortunately.

Because Irish regulations are not compatible.

I can buy a temporary TPL insurance policy based on a VIN number of a car from another EU state - but any Garda I asked says it would be invalid in Ireland. It is valid and the car would eventually be released, but not worth the cost and effort unfortunately.

I wasn't asking about insuring cars not from Ireland.

I was asking why it is not possible for Irish people to get their Irish car insured in Ireland by say an insurer in Romania?

I wasn't asking about insuring cars not from Ireland.

I was asking why it is not possible for Irish people to get their Irish car insured in Ireland by say an insurer in Romania?

That was my use case. My father wanted to export an Irish car and for that needed an insurance to drive it to a ferry. He could buy a TCL insurance for a month for the sole purpose of importation - but Gardai were very consistent in saying they would retain the car if stopped.

Do you mean good European companies such as Zurich, AXA, Allianz. Aviva, Royal Sunalliance, AIG etc.?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Last year i contacted a Dutch insurer. Me being Dutch, originally a Dutch driver license got to hear: we dont insure cars abroad.

It is only 1 Eu\Europe when it suits the elite\big business.
    The plebs have 1 currency and free movement as a "benefit". That currency made everything expensive and funny enough i am still asked 2x for a passport when i go back to Holland for a trip.

Do you mean good European companies such as Zurich, AXA, Allianz. Aviva, Royal Sunalliance, AIG etc.?

Most of those have had a presence in Ireland for a long time.

Aviva was Hibernian.
    AXA was PMPA
    RSA predates the EU in Ireland.
    Zurich predates the EU in Ireland.
    AIG are American and incorporated here in the 1970s.

I wasn't asking about companies not setting up facilities here - I was asking why Irish people can't be insured by any EU based insurer? Regardless of incorporation.

Most of those have had a presence in Ireland for a long time.

Aviva was Hibernian.
    AXA was PMPA
    RSA predates the EU in Ireland.
    Zurich predates the EU in Ireland.
    AIG are American and incorporated here in the 1970s.

I wasn't asking about companies not setting up facilities here - I was asking why Irish people can't be insured by any EU based insurer? Regardless of incorporation.

You missed my point. Any European insurer interested in doing business with Irish motorists has already placed a presence here to do just that, along with loads more appointing brokers as their Underwriting Agents. No EU insurer wants to service our market from an overseas base

You missed my point. Any European insurer interested in doing business with Irish motorists has already placed a presence here to do just that, along with loads more appointing brokers as their Underwriting Agents. No EU insurer wants to service our market from an overseas base

I got your point. It wasn't that complex.

But it shouldn't be about setting up facilities here to service Irish customers. The EU should have no concept of 'overseas' - it's supposed to be a single market for good and services.

But yeah grand - it's fairly obvious that when the market is reduced to national boundaries with a requirement for on the ground operations (which is the opposite of how the EU is sold to EU citizens) there is going to be minimal interest in a market about the size of an average European city.

But it should be possible. Right now it is not - and not because insurers don't want to offer the cover, but it will not be considered binding here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Male
    162 Focus ST3
    8+ yrs no claims
    Full Licence. 3 points (expire Feb 2018)

Last Yr: €917
    Renewal : €1270

Blue : €827
    AIG : €879
    Chill : €958

Interestingly
    A-Another with Car Modified : €1070

But it should be possible. Right now it is not - and not because insurers don't want to offer the cover, but it will not be considered binding here.

It is possible, but there is a regulation process to go through. I can assure you there are very very few insurers chomping at the bit to do business here.

But yeah grand - it's fairly obvious that when the market is reduced to national boundaries with a requirement for on the ground operations (which is the opposite of how the EU is sold to EU citizens) there is going to be minimal interest in a market about the size of an average European city.

There are logistical reasons why insurers prefer to have a base in the country they trade in. Inspecting vehicles, interviewing witnesses, local repair arrangements, liaising with legal representatives and by no means least, local knowledge. That is why foreign insurers are either here already or appoint underwriting agencies in this jurisdiction.

It is possible, but there is a regulation process to go through. I can assure you there are very very few insurers chomping at the bit to do business here.

And that's exactly where the "EU thing" is failing. Regulatory etc.

And that's exactly where the "EU thing" is failing. Regulatory etc.

Yeah, soft regulation in the financial sector would be a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Hope something is done about charging people extra because of profession etc. I get penalized because I don't work yet I do general checks and will replace bulbs tyres etc myself. Car get serviced every year etc and is made sure to be roadworthy

Yeah, soft regulation in the financial sector would be a good thing

Are you saying that Irish regulation is the best one?!

Are you saying that Irish regulation is the best one?!

I'm saying it is better than we had before. Anyway, it's off topic. Bottom line is that foreign insurers do not find doing business with Irish motorists an attractive proposition, even at the level of premiums available. We need to address the root causes of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Age 26
    Car 1997 Lancia y 1.2 16v
    Insurance fully comp
    Cost 20 quid to put on my classic policy :)

• Advertisement

I'm saying it is better than we had before. Anyway, it's off topic. Bottom line is that foreign insurers do not find doing business with Irish motorists an attractive proposition, even at the level of premiums available. We need to address the root causes of that.

That's not true. I know insurers that would do business with me, but I don't because of the legalities in here.

Advertisement