Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭phester28

Age 35

Location_ CORK

NCB 10
    Full Licence 10+
    0 points

98 318i 1.8 BMW

Last year 380 Fully Comp

this year with AIG 910....nothing has changed.

Best quote for the same cover was 735 through munster group

other online sites were quoting 630 but with various differences, no glass protection, road side assist etc.

some sites will not even quote and I can only assume that it is now the age of the car. They want us to buy new cars as the old cars looking at stats are more unsafe. Funny how stats can be made to say what ever you want

Had to change to TPFT at 480.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Age 36

Location_ Dublin

NCB 5
    Full Licence 3+
    0 points

1997 2.5L turbo Toyota Chaser

€1200(up from around 800) Axa

I could have gotten it cheaper but couldnt be bothered this year. Hopefully Classic insurance soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

phester28 wrote: »
    Age 35

Location_ CORK

NCB 10
    Full Licence 10+
    0 points

98 318i 1.8 BMW

Last year 380 Fully Comp

this year with AIG 910....nothing has changed.

Best quote for the same cover was 735 through munster group

other online sites were quoting 630 but with various differences, no glass protection, road side assist etc.

some sites will not even quote and I can only assume that it is now the age of the car. They want us to buy new cars as the old cars looking at stats are more unsafe. Funny how stats can be made to say what ever you want

Had to change to TPFT at 480.
    some insurance companies,Aviva being 1 of them won't insure new policy holders if their car is over 15 years old,e.g 1999 and older,from next year 2000 and so on........... at this stage I think it's easier to buy myself a bike :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Car: 132 Mondeo 140

Licence: Full, 16 yrs - 0 Points

NCD: 6+ years

Cover: Fully Comp Protected NCB

Price: €499 Aviva

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

with fbd
    oap
    rural co. limerick
    opel mivara 1.4
    licence full 42 years
    max milage 5,000 pa
    cover full ncb protected
    with fbd quote 635
    broker quoted 425 ariva
    happy out

nb brokers claim eircode is causing massive problems for their customers, some who moved accomadition across the street to new eircode is being gladly used by companys to up the premium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 bshmf

Age - 57

Location - Dublin

Car - 2010 Renault Grand Scenic 1.5 Diesel (106 hp)

NCB - 100%

Full Licence - 26 years

No claims/penalty points

RSA €455 (up €5 on last year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

flutered wrote: »
    nb brokers claim eircode is causing massive problems for their customers, some who moved accomadition across the street to new eircode is being gladly used by companys to up the premium

That's the 'Sunny Side of The Street' loading. Plenty of stats to back it up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Car: 09 Focus Style

Licence: Full, 9 yrs - 0 Points

NCD: 6+ years

Cover: Fully Comp Protected NCB

Price: €763 AA (through AXA)

That's, wait for it, up €322, +75% from last year for exact same cover. Called them today and told them where to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Car: '99 Toyota Yaris

NCD: Zilch, nada, none

Licence: Full 3 years, no points

Cover: Third-party

Insurance price €805 fbd

Best quote: €2500ish acorn insurance

job seeker wrote: »

Car: '99 Toyota Yaris

NCD: Zilch, nada, none

Licence: Full 3 years, no points

Cover: Third-party

Insurance price €805 fbd

Best quote: €2500ish acorn insurance

Did you have a claim to have no bonus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Did you have a claim to have no bonus?

No, just first year on my own policy.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

Male 33
    Licence 14 years
    11 years NCB
    0 points
    2004 BMW 325ci

€550 fully comp with full bonus protection - Aviva (up around €100 on last year but renewal last year was a 2.0 diesel)

Can get a quote on a brand new Golf GTI worth €40,000 for less than my current policy price on my car which is worth €3,000 - they really screw you on anything above 2.0!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Wow!!! Some interesting variations.... :eek:

Car: 07 BMW 116i

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, 2 points

Cover: Fully comp, step back protection

Current quote: €424 (up from €377 last year with 1 claim & 2 points added - really surprised there wasn't more of an increase!)

I've stuck with RSA/123.ie the last few years but think I'll shop around a bit for next renewal in April.
    Think the lowest I've ever paid for car insurance was about €290 with AXA about 4/5 years ago....

ETA: I'm in Dublin by the way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Just discovered that my car insurance expired (thanks to the fcuking spam filters).
    Renewal came by email at €588 but the new quote reached near €800.
    Both with 123.ie !

Very very peculiar !

Late Edit:
    Called 123 and requested a "late" renewal but they will hav etreathed me like a complete new business. Same details, same information, quoted €300 dearer with "new market conditions" given as BS reason !
    Looked around, AA came with the most cost effective price, done online, completed over the phone, hassle free.
    Thanks.

PS
    where are they going to stop with the over charges and increases on the insurance ? Soon my insurance will be dearer than the car, same like in the Celtic's rip off times ! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There's a big gap in the market for a good online broker. chill.ie seems to be the only one that gives online quotes from multiple insurers. And even at that, it's a limited list.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Last year: 567

I got my renewal today and it's 929.14 on an 04 Honda Accord fully comp with full no claims.

Rang AXA and the guy on the phone told me that they mark up Hondas significantly as their claims history shows that they get more claims against the entire Honda fleet than most other brands!

So eventually it went down to 720 no changes to the policy.

Liberty and Aviva are both coming in about 625.00

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Arek

Age - 36

Location - limerick

Car - Polo 1.0

NCB - 10+

Full Licence - 10+

AXA last year €430, renewal €580
    AIG €400

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

What happend to the male insurance dropping and the female insurance rising equality rubbish we were fed last year?
    It seems that when you stick with the same company and don't have a claim, in their weird thinking it is probable that you will have one, having made a profit from you they then don't care if you use them again or not?
    Yet they seem to discount for new business.
    Or am I just being my paranoid self.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Timooo_23

Age - 26

Location - limerick

Car - Lexus IS 220d

NCB - 2 years

Full Licence - 6 years

1 claim for €2000 3 years ago for cosmetic repairs

Aviva last year €900 renewal this year €1790

Got that down to €1385 by putting girlfriend on policy.

Best/ worst quote was €2990 from chill

Was shocked at the amount of insurers who flat out reject you if you've had a claim in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Stheno wrote: »
    Last year: 567

I got my renewal today and it's 929.14 on an 04 Honda Accord fully comp with full no claims.

Rang AXA and the guy on the phone told me that they mark up Hondas significantly as their claims history shows that they get more claims against the entire Honda fleet than most other brands!

So eventually it went down to 720 no changes to the policy.

Liberty and Aviva are both coming in about 625.00

Ask both Liberty and Aviva before I buy - how much does the penalty point discount credit allowed add upto ?

Ie...Aviva €937 minus 33%(zero p-points) thus €625 quote BUT during the year u gain 3 points... You call up to inform them as required..."how would u like to pay back the penalty point discount you initially got but no longer qualify for !! " - my sis works in Aviva

Then the Axa €720 doesn't sound too bad..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

flutered wrote: »
    <snip>nb brokers claim eircode is causing massive problems for their customers, some who moved accomadition across the street to new eircode is being gladly used by companys to up the premium
    That's the 'Sunny Side of The Street' loading. Plenty of stats to back it up

I was already dreading next year's renewal as my car is 2003 and they seem to be hitting older cars hard. Don't tell me they will use eircode as a new excuse for another "hit?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I had been dreading my renewal quote from what I heard here..

I got himself to open it I was that scared.....

Female age 47, based in Kilkenny,

15 year old 1.6 golf

NCB 3 years, 75% discount

Driving 17 years, with Axa since then, always gave the better quote year on year

Quoted 375.45 for the next year. Quite shocked as its in line with last year...

Himself was even shocked as his quote last month was awful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I was already dreading next year's renewal as my car is 2003 and they seem to be hitting older cars hard. Don't tell me they will use eircode as a new excuse for another "hit?"

They will use any excuse they can legally get away with to bilk people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

They will use any excuse they can legally get away with to bilk people.

They can literally charge what they like.

They don't need an excuse.

Competition is what keeps prices reasonable.

If an insurer can fine tune their stats down to specific eircodes, perhaps you might get a discount. If your own eircode is in a high risk area, a loading would be justified

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    I had been dreading my renewal quote from what I heard here..

I got himself to open it I was that scared.....

Female age 47, based in Kilkenny,

15 year old 1.6 golf

NCB 3 years, 75% discount

Driving 17 years, with Axa since then, always gave the better quote year on year

Quoted 375.45 for the next year. Quite shocked as its in line with last year...

Himself was even shocked as his quote last month was awful

So it's nearly like females seem to be getting better quotes, going by the few who have added in here, maybe nothing really ever changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

48, 01 Audi TT Coupe, full NCB, full licence 25yrs.........just got quoted €987 by AA. Cheapest I could find this eve is €799.

Something seriously wrong with insurance in this country.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Car: 04 Vectra GTS

NCB: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, NCB protection, Windscreen, additional driver, contents, driving other cars.

Last years ploicy: €397, Axa

Renewal quote : €880, Axa (no accidents or claims btw)

Best quote: €388, Allianz (€408 over 12 monthly installments if i want)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

galwaytt wrote: »
    48, 01 Audi TT Coupe, full NCB, full licence 25yrs.........just got quoted €987 by AA. Cheapest I could find this eve is €799.

40, 01 Audi TT Coupe (225bhp), Full NCB, zero points, full licence 20 years.....paying €480 with Aviva. We have another car and house policy with them so discounts may be in play here too...but that's some difference.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

galwaytt wrote: »

(reply explaining how everything with insurance companies is absolutely fine and completely random and nonsensical quotes make total sense, but only if you know every single one of the 3.75 million criteria such as star sign, how many pieces of lint in your belly button, the exact angle of the Earth's axis on the day of your 14th birthday, the exact thickness of the primer inside your fuel filler cap cover in micrometers and, as a laugh, how many year's no claims bonus you have) :pac:

Advertisement