Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Your Age: 31
    Car type and engine: Nissan Leaf - Electric
    years driving: - 10+
    any claims: 1 claim in 2015
    Price and provider: Renewal with 25plus.ie came in at €950. Ended up going with 123.ie for €645.

Although now wondering if changing to an Irish licence instead of my UK is what made the quote with 123.ie so low.

Car: 2011 Renault Fluence
    Driver: Male 48 + Spouse 50. Licence 20+ years.
    History: No claims or penalty points, Max NCB
    Insurance: Fully Comp with full NCB protection and Breakdown Assist.

Last year with Footprint: 427
    Renewal: 485

Rang Aviva and got it for 374 with all the extras. Could have reduced it to 326 with no extras like NCB protection. 10% discount as wife has insurance with Aviva. Last year Aviva quote was over 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Peugeot 306 1.4 petrol 75bhp
    5 years NCB
    Full Irish Licence
    22 years driving
    0 penalty points

FBD
    TPFT
    €1,186

Like what the fuk

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

99nsr125 wrote: »
    5 years NCB
    Full Irish Licence
    22 years driving
    0 penalty points

FBD
    TPFT
    €1,186

Like what the fuk

Are you kidding? That's outrageous. My renewal is due shortly, it'll make you cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

99nsr125 wrote: »
    5 years NCB
    Full Irish Licence
    22 years driving
    0 penalty points

FBD
    TPFT
    €1,186

Like what the fuk

What year?.

Definitely shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    Are you kidding? That's outrageous. My renewal is due shortly, it'll make you cry.

Not kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

27 years old.
    Hyundai i20.
    Fully comprehensive.
    No points.
    Liberty.

€670.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Car: 06 BMW 320d saloon
    NCD: Full
    Licence: Full, clean, 12 years
    Cover: TPFT
    Renewal Quote: €483 from Bank of Ireland Insurance Services

Have tried quotes from Aviva, Axa, Allianz, AIG, Liberty, FBD and all of them coming in somewhere between €650 and €900. 123.ie returned a quote of €445 by adding a family member to the policy. Will call BoI and see if I can get them to match that, don't ask don't get. But can't complain with sub €500 nowadays on an "old" car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Just got my "renewal invitation"

38 years old
    2006 Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTS (Petrol, 160hp)
    20-- years license (will elaborate)
    Full NCB (6+ years)
    TPFT - 982 Euro with AA

My license is about to expire anyway, I'll be renewing and therefore getting an Irish license - that alone will bring the premium down to ~500 Euro (ironically, the AA called me while I was typing this and we discussed it). Regardless of the silly ruling that there was about it a couple of years ago, insurance companies taking the absolute p1ss and skinning EU drivers alive is a disgrace.

Ended up renewing with the AA (Allianz underwriter) for 820, same exact cover as last year. Couldn't replace my license in time as dates are illegible (paper license from the late '90s with ballpoint-pen written dates, brilliant piece of engineering!) and require a certificate, so renewed with the EU license still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Renewal from 123 was E640 online(up from E598 last year) or E740 if I phoned them to renew.
    Age 50
    2015 Mazda 3 2.2L
    full licence
    max no claims.

Liberty E950
    Axa 865 (with no add on, not even windscreen cover, all extra)
    Post insurance....E560, with everything, including bonus protection as an extra. took the hand off her, thank you madam.
    Quote devil.....still waiting for the call back, too late now lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Vladi_

Car: 06 Mini Cooper, 1.6, hatch, 17" wheels
    Driver: 33, female, full Irish licence and another person on the policy
    History: first policy for both, no no claim bonus, first car ever ♡
    Quote: Allianz, €2037.00.
    Pretty happy with that considering the car and no history. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tigerbanana

Car: 171 Highline Golf Automatic
    Driver: 30yo Male, full Irish license 8 years,
    Named driver: 29yo female, learner permit for 2 years
    No points or claims on either driver.

An Post renewal: €761 with step back and €300 excess
    25 plus: €901
    Liberty: €1171
    AXA: €700 with step back
    FBD: €1291
    123.ie: €805
    Allianz: €732 with step back
    AA: €664 with step back and €650 excess
    AIG: €763
    Aviva: €1424!

Final Quote Selected: An Post (underwritten by AIG), €665 with full NCB protection and €600 excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

1998 1.6 Toyota Levin BZ-R
    Male
    Full licence over 10 years
    6 year NCB
    2 year ban 10 years ago
    2 points for speeding( Only picked them up recently, some slow driver was doing my head in so overtook to the redline and took off never slowed down after passing, seen the van but it was too late)

123.ie: €650

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Male
    6 year NCB
    2 year ban 10 years ago
    2 points for speeding( Only picked them up recently, some slow driver was doing my head in so overtook to the redline and took off never slowed down after passing, seen the van but it was too late)

Speeding would be 3 points if it was recent. Be careful declaring this when getting quotes. Shouldn't make much difference, but better get it right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Male
    6 year NCB
    2 year ban 10 years ago

Do you need to declare a ban from 10years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Do you need to declare a ban from 10years ago?

No I didn't anyway just thought I'd put it up. You also get a 3 years endorsement after the ban is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Wife's insurance

10+ years full licence
    2016 Yaris 1.33 petrol
    Fully comp, no claims protection, journeywise.
    Aviva €410

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fabi9977

Seat Arosa 2001 1.0 50bhp
    0 NCB
    1 year driving

Third Party and theft
    €3.330 AXA

Liberty wanna 4.700euro for Third Party and theft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

just an update i went with AA as they could offer me comprehensive driving other peoples cars as well as on my car the suzuki wagon r for 610.
    seems alot but was way better than the brokers offer of 670 for third party only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Just in, 5th year of ownership.

2005 BMW 740Li

34yo, full NCB, full Irish etc

We're in sad times when €1399.26 is good value. Bank of Ireland, u/w by RSA.

That figure was €800 5 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

2005 BMW 740Li

I'm a bit older than you and pay almost half that on a 3.0l with AA via Aviva.. **** 5 years ago.. mine is 450 dude!:eek:

Massive difference with a 4.0l though, its a huge jump in insurance terms. Everyone else is €1900+.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Wife's renewal came in few days ago:

Megane 2013 1.5 diesel, 32y old ,full NCB, 0 points,licence 5y +++,me as as named driver 3 points.

Last year 770 with Post Insurance(AIG).
    This year 880+ 50 euro(!!!)renewal fee(AIG).Pay monthly 10x94e +50e renewal fee.
    Fully comp,windscreen,brakedown,driving other cars,bonus protection.

Went with ALLIANZ as I have policy with them.Got multi policy bonus with same extras for 577e .Paid in full as it was cheaper by 47e than pay monthly

Other quotes with same extras and 2 drivers
    AXA 910
    FBD 1125
    DEVIL 999
    123.ie 874
    Zurich 741
    Liberty 1541(WTF????)
    25+ was cheapest 541 but to much hassle with them to save 30e.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see in the Indo today it's reported that we will all be paying another 2% levy from January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

NIMAN wrote: »
    I see in the Indo today it's reported that we will all be paying another 2% levy from January.

Yep, to cover possible insolvency of insurers. For those who think an Irish government should provide no fault state insurance, this is the reason why they haven't touched it. They know there is no money to be made and have passed on the risk to the people by further taxation. The system needs gutting from top to bottom (insurers, legal profession, medical profession and awards)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

My wife is a new driver, just passed with no previous experience.

Was trying to get a quote for. 1L Yaris. 2012

All companies and brokers were quoting around 2k.

Gave kennco a phone and they quoted us 1400, 600 cheaper than anyone else, guy said the fact she took the compulsory 12 lessons helped a lot. Not sure how given everyone has to complete them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My wife is a new driver, just passed with no previous experience.

Was trying to get a quote for. 1L Yaris. 2012

All companies and brokers were quoting around 2k.

Gave kennco a phone and they quoted us 1400, 600 cheaper than anyone else, guy said the fact she took the compulsory 12 lessons helped a lot. Not sure how given everyone has to complete them.

Because those that have yet to do so or are in the middle of them can still drive accompanied so that's what he meant.

2005 BMW 740Li

I'm with BoI as well. My renewal came in at €480 on an 06 320d. Rang them and they wouldn't budge an inch, unless I wanted to lose NCB protection.
    Asked them if adding a family member would cut it down any? He tried it, but made no difference to the price.

So I went back on their site and did up a quote as a new customer and added someone on the policy. Exact same details as my renewal otherwise.
    €360! So now I'm letting my current policy lapse and taking up a new one with this price.

Might be worth trying that. Very different situation with a 7'er but if it knocked anything of that price for you, it would worth it.

Agricola wrote: »
    I'm with BoI as well. My renewal came in at €480 on an 06 320d. Rang them and they wouldn't budge an inch, unless I wanted to lose NCB protection.
    Asked them if adding a family member would cut it down any? He tried it, but made no difference to the price.

So I went back on their site and did up a quote as a new customer and added someone on the policy. Exact same details as my renewal otherwise.
    €360! So now I'm letting my current policy lapse and taking up a new one with this price.

Might be worth trying that. Very different situation with a 7'er but if it knocked anything of that price for you, it would worth it.

I just did a new quote online with BOI, they won't quote through their online system.

• Advertisement

I just did a new quote online with BOI, they won't quote through their online system.

You could try calling their sales dept and going through the process as a new customer. Unlikely to work, but you never know. If they miraculously came back with €1000 quote you'd probably jump for joy!
    If you don't have someone else on the policy, try to do that. It was the major difference for me.

Advertisement