Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

My insurance was due for renewal at the end of February. Got the renewal email 2 or 3 weeks beforehand; €530, fully comp. 57 years old, 12 years protected NCB, driving aTucson, 161 reg. This was with AIG via 25 plus. Someone told me why not try AIG directly, see what they can do, cut out the middle man, you know? So I did. €396 for the same cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

blueser wrote: »
    Someone told me why not try AIG directly, see what they can do, cut out the middle man, you know? So I did. €396 for the same cover.
    That one can go either way in my own experience. I would always get quotes from a wide spread of companies and agents/brokers. If a company or agent/broker quoted me a price I would jot it down and the name of the underwriting company in the case of getting the quote from an agent/broker.

Last renewal Allianz direct provided me the best price on a like for like policy package. Previous renewal a broker provided me the best price on a like for like policy package and the Underwriter was Allianz. It has always varied from renewal to renewal in my experience.

If you want to make a change on your policy part way through quite often a broker will charge you what can be a hefty enough admin fee (think this is where the gravy is at for them a lot of the time). If you are directly with the company quite often they will allow you at least one change on your policy without an admin fee.

Percentage price difference was considerable in your case and again it illustrates why taking some time out to shop around well is time well spent:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭samo

1st insurance for son:
    18 year old male provisional with EDT completed
    1.6D Volvo V40 (141)
    Open drive for full drivers

€3145 with AIB (Axa drive safe) fully comp

Never thought I would think 3145 was good value for insurance but surprising it was cheaper with AIB for same policy by 350 euro!)
    Also got quotes of 5400 and 5800 !

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

AIG very good for myself and the other half this year, but not refunding anyone during the Covid crisis like many others are, dont think Aviva are either, nor are liberty - all offering so called cheaper policies in the future, believe that when we see it, bit low considering the extortionate profits they amke and most of their competitiors have decided to give something back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

septicsac wrote: »
    AIG very good for myself and the other half this year, but not refunding anyone during the Covid crisis like many others are, dont think Aviva are either, nor are liberty - all offering so called cheaper policies in the future, believe that when we see it, bit low considering the extortionate profits they amke and most of their competitiors have decided to give something back.

AIG, like many insurers, are facing significant claims for business interruption claims as a result of Covid-19. It all comes out of the one pot.

• Advertisement

AIG, like many insurers, are facing significant claims for business interruption claims as a result of Covid-19. It all comes out of the one pot.
    Jasus you must have little to do but stand up for the extortionate Irish insurance market. They have no problem taking the money, but extreme difficulty in doing what many of their competitors have committed to do? Even allowing for this and if your statement is the case then just say so, not allege you will look at reducing premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

septicsac wrote: »
    Jasus you must have little to do but stand up for the extortionate Irish insurance market. They have no problem taking the money, but extreme difficulty in doing what many of their competitors have committed to do? Even allowing for this and if your statement is the case then just say so, not allege you will look at reducing premiums.

I don't stand up for insurance companies, I offer information based on knowledge and experience. I always state that premiums in Ireland are too high, I just have a different opinion to most as to the cause.You are free to do with what I post as you wish.

Some insurers, like AIG, are facing significant Business Interruption claims which will negate any savings on the additional profit made on their motor account. Those insurers who have a large non-motor account are experiencing a huge drop in premium income because shops, factories, pubs, hotels etc are not trading and therefore not paying insurance.

Insurers who only do motor insurance are in a far better position to offer rebates. Other insurers are retaining the additional profit to offset losses in previous years, to help them offer competitive premiums next year, which is in everyone's interests. Some insurers are just being dicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

I'm 23, I've got quoted €2250 on a BMW 330D M Sport that's been remapped to 300BHP, that's first year in my own name, 3 years named driver experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

^Thats not a bad quote considering the car ,age and no NCB in your own name.^

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    ^Thats not a bad quote considering the car ,age and no NCB in your own name.^

That's what I was thinking, I got quoted €1400 on a MK6 GTI too, probably helps that I've my retired father (who's never had so much as a chipped windscreen) on my insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

Male 43
    Fncb
    08 ford focus 1.6petrol
    517 with blue Insurance fully comp.via Zurich.

MrMiata wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking, I got quoted €1400 on a MK6 GTI too, probably helps that I've my retired father (who's never had so much as a chipped windscreen) on my insurance.

What insurance company?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    What insurance company?

I'm just throwing stuff into Chill but that was with Allianz, fully comprehensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

whats the best site to compare insurances without putting entire life details to get quote price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

scamalert wrote: »
    whats the best site to compare insurances without putting entire life details to get quote price ?

From recent experience, I would look into Liberty Insurace, AIG, quote devil and 123.ie

Set aside half an hour so, will be worth it to see prices coming down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Your Age: 26
    Car type and engine: VW Golf 1.6 Bluemotion (eco) diesel
    years driving: 9 - but 8 of which were in UK
    any claims: Zero
    Price and provider: FBD - €976 Euro - cheapest I could find

What rags me here is I am from the North originally. Never had an accident, always paid £5-600 sterling per year, never any changes.

Move down to dublin in 2019 and some crazy quotes of €1500 - away with that :eek::confused:

Hoping it comes down next year but doubt it going by what other people pay. A joke down here, I've even contemplated just driving away on UK car insurance as I still have my parents address up in the north. Obv wouldn't work with me owning a dublin apartment, wishful thinking!!

scamalert wrote: »

I've been using Chill, once you stick in your details you can just change the car reg.
    Be warned you'll get done in with emails

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

Received my renewal from BOI for July .
    €280 last year gone up to €310 .
    Won’t bother looking for cheaper quote .
    Age 56 , 2015 skoda superb estate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Gary Owen wrote: »

I have never seen a quote that low!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Renewal through from Allianz

Myself and wife, fully comp, full ncb.

I've max no claims, wifey been driving 2yrs.

2010 Renault megane 1.5 dci

Renewal came in at 620 but got quotes from 123 for 540 and chill for 550

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Dad renewing his insurance - some offers state: "Third Party Cover to pull a trailer"

A) Do all insurance quotes not cover this by default anyway?
    B) Does this mean that when towing a trailer his insurance for the car is reduced to third party?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Gary Owen wrote: »
    Don't know how you got that premium. I did a trial application with them earlier on. 57 years old, driving a 161 Tucson, 10+years NCB, sole driver on the policy,15k km per years. Came back as nearly €500.

Don't know how you got that premium. I did a trial application with them earlier on. 57 years old, driving a 161 Tucson, 10+years NCB, sole driver on the policy,15k km per years. Came back as nearly €500.

im with BOI was paying last year €280 on a 2008 Zafira added my son this year, 18 just passed his test, now €490, was i thought was also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

171 fiesta two drivers, 64 and 70. €362. Zurich through Chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

I don’t either , and I’m not going to question it 😀

I don't stand up for insurance companies, I offer information based on knowledge and experience. I always state that premiums in Ireland are too high, I just have a different opinion to most as to the cause.You are free to do with what I post as you wish.

Some insurers, like AIG, are facing significant Business Interruption claims which will negate any savings on the additional profit made on their motor account. Those insurers who have a large non-motor account are experiencing a huge drop in premium income because shops, factories, pubs, hotels etc are not trading and therefore not paying insurance.

Insurers who only do motor insurance are in a far better position to offer rebates. Other insurers are retaining the additional profit to offset losses in previous years, to help them offer competitive premiums next year, which is in everyone's interests. Some insurers are just being dicks.

I think your last line applies to the majority of them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

scudzilla wrote: »
    Renewal through from Allianz

Myself and wife, fully comp, full ncb.

I've max no claims, wifey been driving 2yrs.

2010 Renault megane 1.5 dci

Renewal came in at 620 but got quotes from 123 for 540 and chill for 550

Rang Allianz, told them of other quotes and asked them if they could get near them, came back with 553, so a 3 minute call saved me another 70 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭CoBo55

scudzilla wrote: »
    Rang Allianz, told them of other quotes and asked them if they could get near them, came back with 553, so a 3 minute call saved me another 70 quid

67 actually, moving to 123 would save you 80. I never ring my renewal insurer when I get it cheaper elsewhere, I just move.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

58 years old
    Full bonus
    10 skoda superb 2.0
    Fully comp
    Last year with Aviva on a 10 1.8 petrol superb €280.
    Renewal this year €319.
    With full bonus protection
    Not going to bother and wasting half a day looking for any cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Mrs O
    E300H
    Last years €670
    She had a claim for a headlight ;)
    €1500
    Thank God for bonus protection
    This years premium with an post
    €575
    15k business miles

Advertisement