Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

CoBo55 wrote: »
    67 actually, moving to 123 would save you 80. I never ring my renewal insurer when I get it cheaper elsewhere, I just move.

wasn't gonna argue over 3euro, 70 sounded better.

Even though 123 were 13 cheaper it worked out better for Allianz, 10 payments of 55.30 a month, zero interest added on, with 123 they add interest and want 30% up front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Whocare

Axa renewal comprehensive 1200€ ☹
    Car 2013 vw cc
    Age 29
    4 years no claims bonus as stand alone policy was named driver for over 5years +
    Zurich 480euros comprehensive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭CoBo55

scudzilla wrote: »
    wasn't gonna argue over 3euro, 70 sounded better.

Even though 123 were 13 cheaper it worked out better for Allianz, 10 payments of 55.30 a month, zero interest added on, with 123 they add interest and want 30% up front
    Never do the drip myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cool Rider

Any good Agent's details please?
    Me
    Driving details:
    I am driving for 20 years, 8 years NCB in my name
    No claims ever.
    No points
    Car: Volvo S60 D4 181 bhp 2ltr
    Driving avg: @10k a year
    Insurance: I signed with AIG 6 years ago on 400€ fully comp and it has crept upto 850€ now, I want to shop around and best quote is 600€ from Anpost so far...
    2nd car
    Wife
    European license for 20 years
    Driving in Ireland for 12 years: First 4 in her policy, next 7 under my policy and on her own policy since last year
    No claims ever, 3 points
    car: Open Insignia 2.0 2014
    Insurance : Axa through Supervalu €1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 edora91

29 years old, female, working in sales
    3y full driving license, no penalty points
    1y NCB
    181 VW Polo DSG 1.0 petrol
    Fully comp, 25-30k km per year, incl. business use, €300 excess
    Last year Liberty €2404
    Renewal this year €1036

I got a few quotes in the €1200-1400 range, but I'm happy enough with the renewal quote. It's only my second year of insurance, so I'm looking forward to seeing it going further down next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

edora91 wrote: »
    It's only my second year of insurance, so I'm looking forward to seeing it going further down next year.

I thought that when I got my first policy 10 years ago.... I think it's progressively increased year on year!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Renewal (best offer) €1244 with Patrona Insurance by britton insurance broker

New Premium - €904 with 123.ie
    (fully comp with driving other cars and NCB protection)
    33 yo Male
    Financial Analyst
    161 Tesla Model S valued at 50k
    driving 45k km
    2 points
    Claim of 2500 settled in Dec 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭masterboy123

33, Male, 6 year NCB, 6 year full irish licence.
    Car: 2015 Mercedes C Class. 2.0 lit Diesel.

Getting cheapest quote with FBD and their Team20 code for €910. I paid AXA €920 last year.

Liberty, AXA, Aviva, 123, 25plus and AIB are all offering in excess of 1000 euros. Its4women quoted 2300 :(

Any advice to get a cheaper quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

Getting cheapest quote with FBD and their Team20 code for €910. I paid AXA €920 last year.

Liberty, AXA, Aviva, 123, 25plus and AIB are all offering in excess of 1000 euros. Its4women quoted 2300 :(

AIG. They were by far the cheapest I came across.

Thanks. AIG were unable to provide me online quote. I rang them with quote number but no answer. So I have requested a call back. Let's see.
    bop1977 wrote: »
    AIG. They were by far the cheapest I came across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Thanks. AIG were unable to provide me online quote. I rang them with quote number but no answer. So I have requested a call back. Let's see.

From my experience if the insurer doesn't quote me online they generally don't want me and even if they quote over the phone that's 2k+ ;)

Won't harm, but I doubt they offer you any value.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah, same. If there's no online quote I don't bother calling.
    Same if theres no quote generated online (like quote devil). Don't call me. If you want my business quote it online. This isnt the 90's, we don't need to speak to you.

I am getting a cheaper quote from Zurich. Are they good?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I am getting a cheaper quote from Zurich. Are they good?

Obviously check what you get and are you happy with the cover...

I'll go as cheap as can....

Insurance company is offering Full NCD Protection for 35 euros. Is it worth it? Or just another ad strategy?

Insurance company is offering Full NCD Protection for 35 euros. Is it worth it? Or just another ad strategy?

Definitely worth it for 35 bucks, AIG wanted close to 100 from me which was just too much. What excess are they charging?

Excess is 250 euros.
    But I searched how NCB protection works and it's with a particular insurer only and limited to 2 claims in any 3 year period.
    Definitely worth it for 35 bucks, AIG wanted close to 100 from me which was just too much. What excess are they charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

NCB protection is another scam invented by insurance companies. Be aware if you do take it out it is only relevant to the company you are insured with. If you have a claim, other companies will take in to account this when pricing you the following year and increase the premium to reflect this. Your current company will "protect" your no claims, but they know you really can go nowhere else, so they can still quote you what they want, it is a scandal they were are still allowed to sell it

Thank you for explaining this.
    septicsac wrote: »
    NCB protection is another scam invented by insurance companies. Be aware if you do take it out it is only relevant to the company you are insured with. If you have a claim, other companies will take in to account this when pricing you the following year and increase the premium to reflect this. Your current company will "protect" your no claims, but they know you really can go nowhere else, so they can still quote you what they want, it is a scandal they were are still allowed to sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

That's not entirely true. You are correct that other companies would increase the price because of lack of NCB,but mrs o's insurance dropped slightly this year even after a claim,thank god for ncb protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It's not compulsory and is relatively cheap. By your logic, the holding insurer could "scam" more money off you at renewal following an accident, by not allowing you purchase protection. They could increase the rate and wipe out your bonus.

That's not true. I lost 3 years no claims in 2017 because of criminal damage, the following year I renewed with another insurer because they were cheaper even though I was still missing 2 years no claims. When I have full no claims built back up next year I'm getting full protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

That's not true. I lost 3 years no claims in 2017 because of criminal damage, the following year I renewed with another insurer because they were cheaper even though I was still missing 2 years no claims. When I have full no claims built back up next year I'm getting full protection.

I'm not following you. afaik your protected no claims is only with your current provider move insurer and you have a claim and no protection. If you got away with it great but I don't think thats the way its supposed to work?

GinSoaked wrote: »
    I'm not following you. afaik your protected no claims is only with your current provider move insurer and you have a claim and no protection. If you got away with it great but I don't think thats the way its supposed to work?

I went from 6 years no claims ( the maximum) to 3 years in 2017 as I had step back protection. I renewed in 2018 (almost €800) on the basis of only having 3 years no claims with the same insurer as I thought I couldn't move. Come renewal in 2019 they were just taking the urine so I shopped around and got a much better price. I told them about the claim I made in 2017 and that it was settled no third party involved etc I now had 4 years no claims as was stated in the certificate of no claims from my outgoing insurer. This year I moved again with the settled claim etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

29yr old male
    1.6 tdi Golf
    8yrs NCB
    Fully comp

Liberty's renewal was lowered and good in fairness - €470.

Went with Zurich though - €426.

Zurich doesn't cover driving other cars which is annoying, that's 14euro extra but not something I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Was offered auto renewal of 480 with 123.ie, about 50 quid up on last years policy.

Entered my details as a new customer and quoted 410.

Did the exact same thing last year.

3rd pty.
    Full clean licence, no claims, no points.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Sons renewal came today.
    22 years old
    Full licence
    07 1.4 Octavia
    No points
    Full comp vita driving of other cars,window and breakdown cover
    Protected bonus
    3 years bonus+ 2 for doing their driving program
    Aviva price €600.
    Really don't think I'll do better than that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Wife's renewal came today
    She's 33
    1.5 Qashqai
    10+ years NCB
    No points
    €650

I was hoping for better but a couple of quick online quotes and it hasn't been beaten yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Skuxx wrote: »
    Wife's renewal came today
    She's 33
    1.5 Qashqai
    10+ years NCB
    No points
    €650

I was hoping for better but a couple of quick online quotes and it hasn't been beaten yet!

No idea how her quotes are more than mine (male, 29, 8yrs NCB). Have you tried adding an experienced named driver on the policy? Always reduces it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

34 male, South Dublin
    Driving a 142 Fiesta 1.2Ltr
    Full Licence 2years, 4years NCB

Renewal Quote with chill €608

Got Fully Comp with it's4Women.ie for €387*

*(Put the exact same details into 25plus (came company as its4women) and got 425...

Advertisement