Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭pah

Your Age: 39.5
    Car type and engine: Lexus is250 - 2.5L Petrol
    years driving: 20+
    any claims: Never
    Price and provider: Super Valu - 359.92

Drops to 337.12 when I add herself same age and driving experience.

Question?????

Is it worth the extra for NCD protection 45.42

I paid for it last year and I'm jst thinking of Murphys law if I get rid :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I think NCB protection is worth it, it’s very easy to get 2k/3k worth of damage that you can just let the insurance take care off & not worry about the bill or a policy price increase at next renewal

The mrs hit a traffic cone on the M7 , sitting in the middle of the lane, doing 120, caused a little over 2k worth of damage, all sorted & paid for in a couple of days, new front bumper, lights etc

I think NCB protection is worth it, it’s very easy to get 2k/3k worth of damage that you can just let the insurance take care off & not worry about the bill or a policy price increase at next renewal

The mrs hit a traffic cone on the M7 , sitting in the middle of the lane, doing 120, caused a little over 2k worth of damage, all sorted & paid for in a couple of days, new front bumper, lights etc

Yeah it's only 45 quid extra but can I justify it on a car valued at 2k? Can only make one claim in a 3 year period

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

To me ncd protection is a scam. Yes your bonus is protected but not your premium isn't. Nothing to stop them upping it and giving you your 60% discount. I have lifetime protection with axa for free but had the smallest tip literally and quote went up 1000 for 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭djan

robie5 wrote: »
    To me ncd protection is a scam. Yes your bonus is protected but not your premium isn't. Nothing to stop them upping it and giving you your 60% discount. I have lifetime protection with axa for free but had the smallest tip literally and quote went up 1000 for 5 years

Exactly, there really is no point in paying for NCD protection for this very reason.

Similair happened to a friend where he had NCD protection and made a claim of around 1k, sure the NCD stayed but his premium went up by 400 euro and was a lot harder to switch over to another provider as you have a claim on your record.

Remember doing some napkin maths on this issue and unless you have an extremely expensive exotic car to repair, it makes sense to forego the NCD protection and just settle any damage claims without involving insurance and pay for dents and bumpers yourself.

Absolute shambles of a system and given the insurers having to in essence approve new entrants to the market, I don't see us experiencing normal EU insurance premium levels for the forseeable... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

So, after 10+ years of points free driving, I've picked up 6 in the past month for 2 x speeding offenses. 1 x Motorway & 1 x Urban. Fair cop, no complaints.

With Allianz, fully comp this year was €685 on a 2008 3.0 Petrol BMW 3 Series Coupé. Full no claims intact, full Irish, 35 years old. I rang them this morning to notify them, no immediate increase but the guy said I could expect a "not too crazy" loading come renewal time in Jan.

Can anyone here guestimate as to what kind of loading I'm looking at?

Thanks!

pah wrote: »
    Your Age: 39.5
    Car type and engine: Lexus is250 - 2.5L Petrol
    years driving: 20+
    any claims: Never
    Price and provider: Super Valu - 359.92

Drops to 337.12 when I add herself same age and driving experience.

Question?????

Is it worth the extra for NCD protection 45.42

I paid for it last year and I'm jst thinking of Murphys law if I get rid :o

Just off the phone with them, got rid of NCD protection, Breakdown, key cover & jacked the excess up to €500. Never in an accident so let's not start now (*touches wood) Car is woth nothing really and I'll be driving it another few years yet

€333 for a finish apparently that's there minimum policy figure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

My wife's premium went down after the claim, just renewed it a couple of days ago?

€387 fully comp, NCB protection with stepback

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I wouldn't dispute that it was a very small tip, but how much was paid out? I'm presuming injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

You look much better for any insuer with 60% NCB and a claim 18 months ago than 10% NCB and a claim 18 months ago.

Lack of protection effectively locks you with the current insurer for couple of years. Protected NCB gives you options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

So I'm 25 and lived in Kilkenny.

I'm driving a 2004 VW Golf 1.4 petrol with 143k miles on the clock.

I have been driving since I was 18 and had one year if cover gap.

I am paying 820 euro per year.

Since I have moved to Dublin my premium went up by 172 after I have declared it. So I am paying closer to one grand now.

I got a quote for 2016 VW Golf GTE and the premium went down by 200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Just wondering guys why when i put in the exact car details i get a lower qoute but then i put in the car reg its always higher even though its the exact model and year? first time insuring in my own name
    corolla 2005 3 door with car details 2,000
    with reg it can vary on the car model normally 2500-3000

cheers

Just wondering guys why when i put in the exact car details i get a lower qoute but then i put in the car reg its always higher even though its the exact model and year? first time insuring in my own name

cheers

Perhaps there was a claim against that car which was involved in an accident, theft or has itself been stolen or broken into.

When putting in car details separately it could be due to the fact that it is generic and doesn't account for its history although I could be very wrong and someone correct me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    Perhaps there was a claim against that car which was involved in an accident, theft or has itself been stolen or broken into.

When putting in car details separately it could be due to the fact that it is generic and doesn't account for its history although I could be very wrong and someone correct me please.

many thanks for the reply that makes sense,

just wondering I plan on paying monthly currently waiting for my driving test with covid its f888ed it up waiting time wise, I done a quote same car full license no NCB the difference was about 500-700e when i pass my test hopefully next year early will my insurance drop or does it vary? AXA are giving the best quote for me.
    cheers

many thanks for the reply that makes sense,

just wondering I plan on paying monthly currently waiting for my driving test with covid its f888ed it up waiting time wise, I done a quote same car full license no NCB the difference was about 500-700e when i pass my test hopefully next year early will my insurance drop or does it vary? AXA are giving the best quote for me.
    cheers

See with the premiums it's always hit or miss. It's quite a volatile market and can change from month to month. I have always been using Campion Insurance as they're a broker and always found them cheapest although my premium went up 180 quid just by moving to Dublin so it all depends on a lot of factors.

When I started driving my first year was 1750, then I got my license and got 350 back, then my insurance went to 1200 then back to 1500 the year after and I didn't have any accidents or claims. It's a real mess with insurance in this country. It hurts me to say it but it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

djan wrote: »

Absolute shambles of a system and given the insurers having to in essence approve new entrants to the market, I don't see us experiencing normal EU insurance premium levels for the forseeable... :mad:

Agreed, there are so many cartel like activities from insurance companies in this country its such a joke and no-one does anything about it. Yes, Pearce Doherty did the whole grandstanding thing a couple of years ago to embarrass them, but nothing happened since.
    Case in point, I had a tree fall on my car during Opelia, total write-off, claim was listed as a "no fault accident" and settled almost 3 years ago. It doesnt affect NCB so I still have over 10 years NCB. However my premium is up around 500 a year higher than it should be, the policy is ****, and I literally cannot change providers. I'm locked in because they will always ask you "any claims in the last 3 years, or last 5 years". I have had to say yes up to now and then they wont quote, its approaching 3 years since Ophelia so I can now say No, to that question to those insurance companies who only ask for 3 years. I just tried this and the accident is going to stay on the NCB letter forever, 2 companies quoted me quiet reasonable quotes, once they received the NCB proof letter they said they wouldn't quote.

eastie17 wrote: »
    Case in point, I had a tree fall on my car during Opelia, total write-off, claim was listed as a "no fault accident" and settled almost 3 years ago.

Was this at your home, parked up somewhere or while out driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Folks, just a heads up for anyone renewing car insurance.

Just renewed with SuperValu. Their renewal was a long shot cheaper than all other providers. When I phoned to run through the policy, the girl knocked a further €50 off without me having to ask. Plus you get some SV vouchers. €480 fully comp on a 16 GTD feels like free money. For years I'd been paying over €800 and I'm still under 30 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Just off the phone with them, got rid of NCD protection, Breakdown, key cover & jacked the excess up to €500. Never in an accident so let's not start now (*touches wood) Car is woth nothing really and I'll be driving it another few years yet

€333 for a finish apparently that's there minimum policy figure

For a €4 saving was it really worth getting rid of all that stuff? Great premium price all the same!

commited wrote: »
    For a €4 saving was it really worth getting rid of all that stuff? Great premium price all the same!

The NCD protection was 45, breakdown was was 20 something and changing the excess was what brought it down to the minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 magic123

Age- 41
    Driving-20+ years
    No claims - 6+
    Car- Mercedes c class 161reg
    Girlfriend as a second driver
    Renewal from 123 - 820
    Few quotes:
    AA -1100
    Axa- 1000
    Boi -850
    Aviva -950
    Allianz -750
    Winner Aig - 550 . Fully comp cover,similar to one i had with 123

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

cheers

The reg number will generate
    Car spec
    Current nct info
    Current tax info
    Number of previous owners
    Prior claims info, ie your insurer is Axa/Sipervalu/Axa Broker then any claims by-or against their customers will be flagged
    Worse case scenario - was the cAr flagged by the S.I.U for prior ‘issues/incidents’

Cars are all grouped so Irish Corolla ‘05 1.4 petrol used to be group 8 but Uk/N-Irl import was minimum group 11 as higher spec thus more expensive to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

Was this at your home, parked up somewhere or while out driving?
    Driving home from work

eastie17 wrote: »
    Driving home from work

Could be they regard you as a risk taker driving your car in a tropical storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Could be they regard you as a risk taker driving your car in a tropical storm?

I'm pretty sure we get storms and not tropical storms.

I'm pretty sure we get storms and not tropical storms.

You could be right, still regarded as the worst storm in 50 years with people advised to stay at home during the storm. I'm just theorising anyone making a claim due to the storm may be regarded by the insurance as having higher risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

DaveyDave wrote: »
    28, 3 years NCB, 4 years driving. 2 named drivers, 1 full NCB, 1 provisional. 1.0 110hp Golf Mk7.5. €768 down from €1,067 with Liberty with multi policy discount.

Now that I have 3 years NCB I will have more options so it will be worth shopping around, but I'm quite happy with that price.

Couldn't renew online for some reason but they rang me. Took my mam off as she had a recent claim, brought it up to €880. I bought a house with the girlfriend a few months ago so now she's my partner, brought it down to €762 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

cheers

I know it's late, but if the car reg you're using is a late 05 reg (i.e. registered later than the current date) then the car is 14 years old rather than 15. Once you hit 15 you get hit with a whack load of premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Car: 1998 Toyota Levin BZ-R
    Years Driving: 18
    NCB: 8 years
    Provider: Liberty
    Price: €639.38

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

25 Plus - €398.39 Comprehensive Extra

35 Year Old Male
    Dublin Based
    8 Years No Claims
    Full Licence for 4 Years
    Hyundai i30 1.4

This is a good €150 the cheapest I have ever gotten but could I do better ???

Already got quotes from AnPost, Blue Insurance, Chill, Zurich and Campion

Advertisement