Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

DarraghR wrote: »
    25 Plus - €398.39 Comprehensive Extra

35 Year Old Male
    Dublin Based
    8 Years No Claims
    Full Licence for 4 Years
    Hyundai i30 1.4

This is a good €150 the cheapest I have ever gotten but could I do better ???

Already got quotes from AnPost, Blue Insurance, Chill, Zurich and Campion

I wouldn't even bother trying to do better then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Try AIG anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tobdom

Wife's renewal. Switched from Aviva to its4women (AIG underwriting) last year and paid €477 (instead of 555 renewal with Aviva)

Car Type and year: 2015 SEAT Alhambra 2.0D (value ~€17.5k)
    Driving: 17 years, 9+ years NCB
    Fully Comprehensive
    Paid last year : €477 its4women
    Renewal quote: €470 its4women
    Paid this year: €395 with AIG directly

Quite surprised with that, fully comp for <400. AIG seem to be hoovering up a lot of business over the past year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

tobdom wrote: »
    Wife's renewal. Switched from Aviva to its4women (AIG underwriting) last year and paid €477 (instead of 555 renewal with Aviva)

Car Type and year: 2015 SEAT Alhambra 2.0D (value ~€17.5k)
    Driving: 17 years, 9+ years NCB
    Fully Comprehensive
    Paid last year : €477 its4women
    Renewal quote: €470 its4women
    Paid this year: €395 with AIG directly

Quite surprised with that, fully comp for <400. AIG seem to be hoovering up a lot of business over the past year or so.

Can you check your NCB cert from Aviva?My wife's cert shows only 5y NCB but she has 9+++.Her last year cert from Allianz indicates 9years.
    I did quotes for her Megane and AiG came cheapest at 399 with 9y NCB but 425 with 5y NCB not much of a difference but im not willing to pay more than I should because Aviva cant issue cert with more than 5years in it.That what they told me.Im going to call Aig tomorrow and find out will they take.I can always send last year cert as well.

132 Megane,34y old drive ,1named fully comp ,bonus protection,glass etc

Renewal 585 with anPost-Aviva
    Last year 444

Aig came cheapest
    399 with Aviva 5y certs with bonus and voluntarly excess of 300
    425 with correct amount of NCB +same as above

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tobdom

Same for us with Aviva, their scale only goes up to 5+ years - it's complete boll**** that they're not all made to follow the same scale & process for NCB.
    When we moved from Aviva we used previous years NCB certs to prove the longer NCB - very important to hold onto the older certs, but you really shouldn't have to (if they all used the same scale & policy for this)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

38 year old in a Leon FR 150 diesel
    Comp, NCB protection, breakdown assist
    30,000km annual with Class 1 business cover

Best quote AIG - 520
    25plus (renewal) - 550
    FBD - 776
    Axa - 640
    Liberty - 739
    Supervalu - 698
    123.ie - 661
    Aviva - 655
    Chill - 737
    Allianz - 648
    Blue - 875
    An Post - 576
    Whoops - 703
    Zurich - Wouldn't quote

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Insurer upped my insurance by €55 despite giving me a €40 voucher a few months ago because of the lockdown and people driving less. I guess I am to pay for that voucher myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Can you check your NCB cert from Aviva?My wife's cert shows only 5y NCB but she has 9+++.Her last year cert from Allianz indicates 9years.
    I did quotes for her Megane and AiG came cheapest at 399 with 9y NCB but 425 with 5y NCB not much of a difference but im not willing to pay more than I should because Aviva cant issue cert with more than 5years in it.That what they told me.Im going to call Aig tomorrow and find out will they take.I can always send last year cert as well.

Last year 444

Aig came cheapest

Return the 5yrs ncb to Aviva in exchange for an amended cert of ncb that shows the prior earned ncb with the years you have been with them.
    You’ll get your fulll experience

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Male, 2.0 Superb auto, 10 Yrs + no claims, no points or convictions, clean licence, Fully comp quotes, with other half on quote, with limited business use.
    AIG renewal 405E down 4E on last year.
    AIG quote through website 353E
    No doubt they will give me crap about new customer discount, this from the same crowd who gave nothing back during the pandemic, promising reductions on current premiums.
    I know I will not get cheaper elsewhere, though will still take a quick look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

septicsac wrote: »
    Male, 2.0 Superb auto, 10 Yrs + no claims, no points or convictions, clean licence, Fully comp quotes, with other half on quote, with limited business use.
    AIG renewal 405E down 4E on last year.
    AIG quote through website 353E
    No doubt they will give me crap about new customer discount, this from the same crowd who gave nothing back during the pandemic, promising reductions on current premiums.
    I know I will not get cheaper elsewhere, though will still take a quick look.

Look at mine 3 posts up.
    Prob not worth looking at other quotes.
    AIG by far cheapest (25plus are AIG too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

My insurance has come down €112 this year to €417, checked AIG as a few have said they're cheaper and they were €750. So happy to renew at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

calnand wrote: »
    My insurance has come down €112 this year to €417, checked AIG as a few have said they're cheaper and they were €750. So happy to renew at that price.

Who with?

Liberty insurance.

Just received an email from liberty, with an extra 5% off which will bring it to 396.15. crazy how 3 years ago they were looking for ~1500 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Just received an email from liberty, with an extra 5% off which will bring it to 396.15. crazy how 3 years ago they were looking for ~1500 from me.

If it's a code make sure you keep hold of it. I got a 100 euro off code from liberty a couple of years ago and the same code worked on my renewal earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

I got a cheaper quote from 25plus than AIG, so it's worth trying both.

I received a decent renewal quote from my insurance provider, but when I fill out the online form for a new quote, it's 150e cheaper. Can I take out the "new" policy, or do I need to ring them and see if they'll match my renewal price with the cheaper one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Age 29
    Male (not that it matters under EU rules).
    Hyundai i20, 1.2 L, Petrol, Manual, 5 door.
    162D
    Licence since 2011.
    11 years no claims.
    North County Dublin.
    Fully comp, breakdown, ncb protection, windscreen, the works.

Liberty, €550.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

roper1664 wrote: »
    I got a cheaper quote from 25plus than AIG, so it's worth trying both.

I received a decent renewal quote from my insurance provider, but when I fill out the online form for a new quote, it's 150e cheaper. Can I take out the "new" policy, or do I need to ring them and see if they'll match my renewal price with the cheaper one?

In a similar position with AIG, their renewal is 50E dearer than an online quote I did myself. This happened me before twice with different companies, one refused to go with lower price stating I was not a new customer, other had no issue giving the lower price, so pot luck I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

septicsac wrote: »
    In a similar position with AIG, their renewal is 50E dearer than an online quote I did myself. This happened me before twice with different companies, one refused to go with lower price stating I was not a new customer, other had no issue giving the lower price, so pot luck I would say

I changed to AXA in the end. They quoted 450. Previous insurer was 550 for a "new" quote or 686 for a renewal. All other insurers I tried ranged from 780 to 1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Years driving: 15
    Car: '07 Honda Civic 1.8 SES
    NCB: 10+ years
    Claims: 0
    Cover: Fully comp
    Mileage: 5-10k

That's the missus, and I'm 39 yr old male, named driver on full license for 4 years

Last year I paid €459 to its4women.
    This year I was quoted €518 for renewal with its4women.

Got quoted €414 with 10% loyalty discount on 123.ie, so went for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭rn

Car: 2016 volkswagen passat 1.6 diesel
    Years Driving: 22
    NCB: 6 years (max)
    Milage: 2000kms max since covid19
    Provider: Glennons, underwriters allianz
    2019 cost €525 (less 35 covid rebate)
    Renewal quote: €625
    Best quote. It's for women €395
    Other quotes: chill €700+
    Final best offer: €478 on glennons with allianz

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Last year 444

Aig came cheapest

Paid today 399€ and uploaded all document to AIG via their portal.Do you have to wait long for them to confirm documents and "unlock" cert so I can print myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Paid today 399€ and uploaded all document to AIG via their portal.Do you have to wait long for them to confirm documents and "unlock" cert so I can print myself?

Less then a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Car: 2019 Seat Leon Cupra
    Years Driving: 14yrs
    NCB: 7
    Mileage: ~7,000km a year
    Provider: AIG (through An Post)
    Renewal quote: €675

Did a quote on the An Post site and get a quote of €460. Tried AIG, Liberty & 123.ie and no quote being offered from any of them, but don't think I'll get close to €460 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭CoBo55

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Car: 2019 Seat Leon Cupra
    Years Driving: 14yrs
    NCB: 7
    Provider: AIG (through An Post)
    Renewal quote: €675

Did a quote on the An Post site and get a quote of €460. Tried AIG, Liberty & 123.ie and no quote being offered from any of them, but don't think I'll get close to €460 anyway

How can you have 1 point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Car: 2008 BMW 320i Cabriolet
    Years Driving: 29yrs
    NCB: 2 (One at-fault claim 2.5 years ago which took all NCB)
    Provider: AIG (through 25pus)
    Quote: €679

Other quotes were nearly double if they would even quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

CoBo55 wrote: »
    How can you have 1 point?
    • Proceeding beyond maximum vehicle length sign where length exceeds maximum displayed
    • Proceeding beyond maximum vehicle width sign where width exceeds maximum displayed
    • Proceeding beyond maximum design gross vehicle weight (safety) sign where design gross vehicle weight exceeds maximum displayed
    • Proceeding beyond maximum vehicle axle loading weight sign where vehicle axle loading weight exceeds maximum specified
    • Failure to act in accordance with a Garda signal
    • Entry by driver into hatched marked area of roadway, e.g. carriageway reduction lane

I'm guessing the last one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

grogi wrote: »
    • Failure to act in accordance with a Garda signal

I'm guessing the last one :)

I bet he just ignore them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RenewalDiary

biko wrote: »
    Shop around, it's almost always worth it.

Did you try any of these? Which did you go with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭oholly121

Be careful with 123 I was insured with them 5 years ago

Was in an accident (not my fault) them a month later car was stolen according to them that’s 2 claims in a year wiped out my 8 year bonus on the back of a theft of my car!

Took 3 years to resolve the claim in that time car insurance was high enough!!

Read the small print!!!

Advertisement