Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Car: 2002 VW Passat 1.9 TDI 130bhp
    NCD: 2 Years
    Licence: Full
    Cover: TPFT

Renewal Quote: Havent gotten it in the post yet insuracne due end of month.

Best Quote: €1900 from kennco through quote devil. They also said when i get my renewal in the post if it beats them they will more then likely be able to beat it, something to do with a student deal they have on.

That's an absolute joke of a quote with 2 years NCB and a full licence! :mad:

I paid €1501.xx in September being 20 with a 1 year NCB and a full licence on the Focus. It better be less next September :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

shietpilot wrote: »
    That's an absolute joke of a quote with 2 years NCB and a full licence! :mad:

I paid €1501.xx in September being 20 with a 1 year NCB and a full licence on the Focus. It better be less next September :(

Yeah its up 400 from last year, even with an extra years no claims. Asgard that i am insured with now though are known to be good on their renewals so im hoping for that 1900 to be dropped to around 1500 again when i get my renewal letter.. It is ridiculous though that even with an extra years no claims to my name my insurance has gotten more expensive.

OSI wrote: »
    To be fair, 19, TDI Passat. Akin to walking into a health insurers puffing on a cuban cigar and asking if your McDonald's loyalty card get's you a discount.

In the insurers eyes maybe :D Dont want to be driving a diesel passat but needs must.

Yeah its up 400 from last year, even with an extra years no claims. Asgard that i am insured with now though are known to be good on their renewals so im hoping for that 1900 to be dropped to around 1500 again when i get my renewal letter.. It is ridiculous though that even with an extra years no claims to my name my insurance has gotten more expensive.

I was with Asgard before I switched to NoNonsense. Trust me they upped my quote to €2200 on my 1999 Yaris with a full licence and 1 year NCB. I paid €1400 the year before :D

I was with Asgard before I switched to NoNonsense. Trust me they upped my quote to €2200 on my 1999 Yaris with a full licence and 1 year NCB. I paid €1400 the year before :D

Havent actually tried them ill give them a go.

• Advertisement

Havent actually tried them ill give them a go.

They were by far the cheapest and any broker I asked for a cheaper quote just told me to go with them :pac:

They were by far the cheapest and any broker I asked for a cheaper quote just told me to go with them :pac:

Got all the way through they took all my details till it got to the car. I honestly think they just pull these things out of their @rse. Wont quote on a car over 12 years old. First it was places with 15 years old then 10 now places coming in with 12:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭curiosity

Licence: full, 20 years

NCB: full (yet to have a claim, hope that continues!)

Car: Focus, 1.4, 2003, doing around 14,000 miles a year (and yes, I'm a bit apprehensive about what I'll be paying if I hold onto the car for another few years)

Insurance: full comp with NCB protection, just myself on the policy

Last year: €390 with Axa through AA (initial quote was €435, they dropped it to €390 when I rang to cancel). I'm AA member.

This year: €612, reduced to €460, again with Axa through AA. As soon as I received my renewal letter, I spent a few hours online, working my way down the list of insurers stickied on the top of the forum (a tedious task). These are the quotes I have in my inbox.

Zurich €460 (phone call)
    Allianz €463 (phone call)
    Britton €530
    Sheridan's €558 (Allianz, 4 other quotes going up to €868)
    Chill €600, (Kenn Co, 4 other quotes up to 870. They kept ringing
    me until I took their call)
    Aviva €605
    AIG €647, €575 with the XLNT app
    Supervalu/AIG €656, or €584 if I used the XLNT driver app
    Liberty €661

I didn't take a note of the other quotes, but €650-800 was the spread I recall. 25plus had a decent quote (€550ish) until I figured out where to enter my penalty points. They put it in with convictions!

AA called me a week prior to renewal. I had decided to cancel. They matched the €460 after a few minutes consulting with a manager. I ended up paying 18% more than last year, but given the 3 points, I'm not grumbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

insurance company's really do take the piss, was speaking to the missus tonight as she was ringing around getting quotes for her renewal, she said the chap on the phone asked for her occupation,

she said "retail supervisor",

he said "hmmmm sorry it dosnt seem to be on the list",

he then says "retail manager??"

she says "no no no im not a manager"

so he then says lets go with retail assistant as it works out €100 cheaper than a retail manager" :eek:

i dont know how they can justify an extra €100 for somebody because they may earn more money. its like they are squeezing to see how much they can get out of you :mad::mad:

i really do feel that they pull these quotes for cover out of the rear ends :mad::mad::mad:

it would make your blood boil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Not sure the words logic and car insurance can be used in the same sentence but hey ho I just did. Only thing I can think of is it could be an assumption that the manager drives from outlet to outlet hence more driving as opposed to a static supervisor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

was talk to my cousin earlier on the phone, she recently got a perfect 2000 toyota as she has been off the road the last 6 months after her last car gave up the ghost, she said she rang every insurance company and broker thats available and not one single company offered her a policy due to the age of the car, ncted to august 2016. :mad:

so basically if you have a car over 15 years old its gonna be impossible to sell as nobody can get cover

surely this cant be true

your car is essentially worthless year 2000 or older :eek::eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Not sure the words logic and car insurance can be used in the same sentence but hey ho I just did. Only thing I can think of is it could be an assumption that the manager drives from outlet to outlet hence more driving as opposed to a static supervisor.

But would that not mean she's using it for Company purposes? If its for private use only it shouldn't make a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Mondeo 1.8 petrol

3 years ncb

1010 asgard through quote devil

Renewal 930 with asgard but through first Ireland

I must be the only person who's got there's cheaper then before around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Mondeo 1.8 petrol

3 years ncb

1010 asgard through quote devil

Renewal 930 with asgard but through first Ireland

I must be the only person who's got there's cheaper then before around.

In my experience asgard are great for cheap quotes though:D A few years ago I couldnt believe the difference in quotes they offered me. If it wasnt for them i'd of been paying out atleast an extra 500 odd euro a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

It's actually nothing to do with asgard as such, with chill they quoted me 2k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It's actually nothing to do with asgard as such, with chill they quoted me 2k.

Its down to broker performance.

If a broker is writing a lot of bad business ie policies that end up with claims the underwriter will charge them more.

Likewise if the broker is writing business that is performing well they will be given additional discounts and/or cheaper rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

My policy is due for renewal in April.changed car yesterday from 1.8 petrol to 1.6 diesel and the policy increased. Can i expect a further loading for my renewal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I started studying recently to gain a management diploma in insurance. The module for my first exam relates to motor (commercial and private) and the section I'm on now relates to claims. There is some interesting reading I thought i would share some of it to give an insight into the state of the insurance market at the moment.

The stats below relate to 2013. As the number of cars on the roads has increased since then one can reasonably assume that the written premium and claims have increased too.

43% of all non life insurance business written was for motor insurance.

53% of newly notified claims were motor claims.

That 53% equals 235,322 individual motor related claims were notified.

Total written premium was €1,113,000,000.

Net underwriting result was -€253,600,000.

Investment income was €62,000,000.

Overall net operating loss on motor insurance was €192,000,000.

Property insurance performed well with an overall net operating profit of €71,000,000.

Public liability had an overall net operating loss of €1,200,000.

The total figures were gross written premium of approx €2,600,000,000 with a net operating loss of approx €81,000,000. That's across all classes of non life insurance.

Commercial motor performed much better than private but it still had an overall loss of approx €1,000,000.

75% of motor policies written were for private motor so it stands to reason it would perform worse than the commercial motor side.

Finally, here are some over all results for the 5 years to 2013. GWP means gross written premium, NUR means net underwriting result, II means investment income, OR means operating result and PP% means profit premium percentage.

2009 : GWP €3,752m, NUR -€124m, II €317m, OR €193m, PP% 5.14%

2010 : GWP €3,702m, NUR -€103m, II €169m, OR €66m, PP% 1.78%

2011 : GWP €3,554m, NUR €213m, II €404m, OR €191m, PP% 11.37%

2012 : GWP €3,331m, NUR -€87m, II €278m, OR €191m, PP% 5.73%

2013 : GWP €2,574M, NUR -€211m, II €130m, OR -€81m, PP% -3.15%

So you can see from the above, with the exception of 2011, insurers have been making an underwriting loss, that is they are paying out more in claims than they are taking in from premiums. The largest percentage of this loss is coming from motor insurance.

In years past they were buoyed by investment incomes however that's begun to peeter out.

I'd be interested to see the most up to date statistics on it to see where its at.

Anyway, some food for thought and I hope it gives people some insight into just how distressed the motor insurance sector is at the moment.

The source was from Insurance Ireland and the Insurance Institute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Good points Business Cats, but prepare for the conspiracy theorists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

OSI wrote: »
    28 Male

2008 Golf GTI 2.0T (200)

€600 with 6 years NCB

Fully Comprehensive with Aviva

This gives me hope. I'm similar but have 140 2012 golf. Renewal in April. Dreading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭td2008

Looking at 1380 for renewal with axa, from 900 last year.

2003 e46 m3
    31, 7 years NCB, 7 years full licence, no points etc

Most online won't quote the M.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

So I went to change my car with my current insurer 25plus.ie. Policy expires the end of February.

Entered in the focus as a petrol by mistake... €0.00 cost to transfer

Entered it in as a diesel and.... € 55.48 For less than 2 months cover.

How can they get away with charging that based on what fuels the car? Every other detail was the same other than "fuel". They really do make it up as they go along to suit themselves :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

NickDunne wrote: »
    So I went to change my car with my current insurer 25plus.ie. Policy expires the end of February.

How can they get away with charging that based on what fuels the car? Every other detail was the same other than "fuel". They really do make it up as they go along to suit themselves :rolleyes:
    I think it's just an administration fee to change things, may have been the same if you had 6 months left on the policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

JamboMac wrote: »
    I think it's just an administration fee to change things, may have been the same if you had 6 months left on the policy.

Read the post again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

NickDunne wrote: »

I changed from petrol to diesel this week and was charged 56 euro for the privilege.renewal time will be interesting.saving a bundle on diesel though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

evosteo wrote: »
    was talk to my cousin earlier on the phone, she recently got a perfect 2000 toyota as she has been off the road the last 6 months after her last car gave up the ghost, she said she rang every insurance company and broker thats available and not one single company offered her a policy due to the age of the car, ncted to august 2016. :mad:

so basically if you have a car over 15 years old its gonna be impossible to sell as nobody can get cover

surely this cant be true

your car is essentially worthless year 2000 or older :eek::eek:

It's most definitely not true, my brother has a 00 Polo he just got insured this week for 800 odd eur with AXA.
    I think 3 insurers currently don't cover cars over 15 years.

It may have more to do with the fact she has been off the road for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

28yo, license 8 years, 7 years NCB driving 2003 1.8 Mondeo

Last year €645 this year €860 with Allianz (fully comp)
    Renewal came in at 1062 but got it down a nice bit :)

I could not get quotes from FBD, no nonsense, post insurance or Zurich

Some other quotes
    Axa 1239.35
    AA 912.72
    123.ie 1370
    Liberty 2162.01
    First Ireland 1279.66
    Aviva 954.10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Ford focus 1.8d 2008
    9+ years NCB
    11+ yrs full license
    34 yrs of age
    car sits in the drive mon-fri ( I cycle to work)
    0 penalty points

2015 - 490 euro Chill insurance
    2016 - 650 euro Chill insurance

other prices for 2016
    Liberty - 560
    Allianz - 570
    123.ie - 730
    AIG - 766

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jesus those quotes are mental lads.

Was it just a record low for insurance the last few years and we're now seeing that correction or what's going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

cson wrote: »
    Jesus those quotes are mental lads.

Was it just a record low for insurance the last few years and we're now seeing that correction or what's going on?

Take your pick of excuses, they seem to be all in play... :mad:

Advertisement