Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

€366 TPFT. And a 50 euro voucher for Lifestyle Sports as part of an offer with Liberty Insurance. Excellent price, 123.ie wanted to renew mine for another year for 500. Which is the same as what they got last year off me. Cheeky enough, no such thing as loyalty, definitely pays to shop around!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lost my no claims bonus whilst living abroad and so starting from scratch :/
    Getting fully comp quotes currently for 1600-1800 EUR. Guess i'll just have to suck it up but was wondering, what sort of drop would I see in the premium in the second year assuming of course no penalty points,accidents etc..

Thanks

You at least 2 or 3 years NCB to see any significant drop. I reckon next year your quotes will be 1000-1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Car: 2010 Skoda Octavia vrs
    7 years NCB (Windscreen claim in 2016)
    Full Licence
    0 points
    1 named driver

Renewal from AXA for €760 which I got down to €690 after a phonecall. Last year I paid €720

All other quotes ranged from €730 to c.€2300

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Car: 2004 1.4 diesel corolla
    14 year ncb
    Full Licence
    0 points
    Renewal from insure my van for €419 which I got for €317 last year

How is insurance going up

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

pudzey101 wrote: »
    14 year ncb
    Full Licence
    0 points

Is the Corolla a van or car ??
    Based on €317 last year I’d say Axa van 1st policy so to get best rate
    - check the private car reg on their system is correct as if that car is also with Axa then it’s 30% of standard rate. If your car is not with Axa then the 20% car plus discount should be active.
    Check the value current on schedule. Every €1000 over €2000 value will increase your premium.
    Ask them straight out is there an age-loading applied to the van and if so ask them to refer to underwriter to review based on your current business history(that loafing can be removed on appeal).

Ya can PM me if needed- I’m not staff anymore so not flogging you cover just free help 😀

• Advertisement

pudzey101 wrote: »
    14 year ncb
    Full Licence
    0 points

You were only 30 and you managed to get a policy for just over €300. I didn't even think that was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

Your Age: 50
    Car type and engine: C4 1.6 Diesel 142
    Years driving: 32
    Any claims: No claims ever, 3 points (just got them, fuming)
    Price and provider: €632 renewal. (quote today 27/01/2021) AA
    Cover: Fully Comp.

Have to shop around, made a mistake sticking with the AA last year and they charged me over €800.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭davehey79

Your Age: 41
    Car type and engine: 162 Toyota Auris 1.4 Diesel
    Years driving: 11
    Any Claims/Points: 0 / 0
    Price and provider: €381 Aviva Fully Comp

Was previously with FBD for perhaps 6 years last year was €700 and auto renewal came out for upcoming year for a cool €777 !!
    Similar to others i should of actively shopped around last few years but got lax and went with FBD once they matched the previous years amount give ir take a few €.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Lost my no claims bonus whilst living abroad and so starting from scratch :/
    Getting fully comp quotes currently for 1600-1800 EUR. Guess i'll just have to suck it up but was wondering, what sort of drop would I see in the premium in the second year assuming of course no penalty points,accidents etc..

Thanks

Had to start from scratch in Nov 2019,used Kennco and quote was E3285,renewal for Nov 2020 was E1214. So mine dropped 2 grand which I'm delighted with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

You were only 30 and you managed to get a policy for just over €300. I didn't even think that was possible.
    13 years ncb and presumably clean license at that stage though. Shouldn't be paying anymore than say a 55 year old housewife in my eyes (not that insurers always view it that way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭CoBo55

13 years ncb and presumably clean license at that stage though. Shouldn't be paying anymore than say a 55 year old housewife in my eyes (not that insurers always view it that way).

Always in commercial vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Always in commercial vehicles?
    There won't be a massive proportion of them 55 year old housewives driving commercial vehicles alright. There wasn't actually a massive relative difference in the rates between a flat diesel Megavan I took out cover with Quinn Direct on for me back in the day and a flat diesel 5 seater flat diesel Megane. That was many moons ago though, things could be very different now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Car type and engine: 2006 Opel Astra, 1.4l petrol
    Years driving: 23
    Any Claims/Points: 0 / 0
    Price and provider: €286 with Aviva

Happy out with that price for fully comp, protected NCD, not even going to bother haggling or ringing around (first time in years I've not done this)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

Sup08 wrote: »
    Your Age: 50
    Car type and engine: C4 1.6 Diesel 142
    Years driving: 32
    Any claims: No claims ever, 3 points (just got them, fuming)
    Price and provider: €632 renewal. (quote today 27/01/2021) AA
    Cover: Fully Comp.

Have to shop around, made a mistake sticking with the AA last year and they charged me over €800.

Just paid 535 with Aviva. NCD protection and Breakdown included.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

I only need insurance for 2 months max. Annual insurance just finished today and I left as renewal was quoted higher.

I’m moving to the north in 8 weeks and maybe sooner so will have to get Uk insurer then and change plates or sell Irish reg car down here first.

Do I just take out insurance monthly tonight and then cancel it when I move? Will have to read the small print I’d imagine the cancellation fee is different with each provider

I only need insurance for 2 months max. Annual insurance just finished today and I left as renewal was quoted higher.

I’m moving to the north in 8 weeks and maybe sooner so will have to get Uk insurer then and change plates or sell Irish reg car down here first.

Do I just take out insurance monthly tonight and then cancel it when I move? Will have to read the small print I’d imagine the cancellation fee is different with each provider

You can cancel and they will refund you what ever is left but all insurers are different and as you say some may have a cancellation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Your Age: 27
    Car type and engine: VW Golf 1.6 TDI 105 Bluemotion Tech Match 5dr Diesel 2011
    Years driving: 10
    Any claims: 4years NCB
    Price and provider: €650 renewal. (quote today 03/02/2021) KennCo
    Cover: Fully Comp with spouse as additional driver (also in 20s)

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tobdom

Your age: 38
    Car Type and year: 2011 Ford Focus Saloon 1.6D (value ~€5k max)
    Driving: 19 years, 10+ years NCB
    Fully Comprehensive (+ NCB protection, roadside assist etc.)
    Paid last year : €492 AIG
    Renewal quote: €496 AIG

Was surprised to see AIG's renewal quote being higher than what I paid last year (especially given the year that's been in it, reduced driving etc.). Did a new quote on AIG, exact same details, exact same policy (same increased voluntary excess etc.) and it came in at €417.
    Called them and they said the best they could do was €470 on the renewal, but there's nothing stopping me from taking the new quote, as a new policy - they said the price difference 'must be' down to the online discount - crazy sh**!!

Got other competitive quotes, which I was surprised by: AA: 430, 25Plus: 415, 123.ie: 425.....

Will go with AIG again, but gees it's never easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Surely with most of us doing little driving due to the lockdowns there should be rebates in car insurance? Less driving crashs/less claims etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Your Age: 54
    Car type and engine: Passat 1.6L Diesel
    years driving: Close to 40 years
    any claims: Not in over 15 years
    Price and provider: Aviva talked them down to €520 FC
    Edit: I currently drive 2-3 times a week, max of 10k each time (5k to shops, 5k back).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

saabsaab wrote: »
    Surely with most of us doing little driving due to the lockdowns there should be rebates in car insurance? Less driving crashs/less claims etc. etc.

My wifes insurance went up by €30, the same amount that was given back to her earlier in the year for not using the car:confused:, she rang them to enquire why her insurance gone up, no real reason,so they reduced quote by €20,big deal!
    BOI by the way.

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Your Age: 54
    Car type and engine: Passat 1.6L Diesel
    years driving: 30+
    any claims: Not in over 15 years
    Price and provider: Aviva talked them down to €520 FC
    Edit: I currently drive 2-3 times a week, max of 10k each time (5k to shops, 5k back).
    You talked them down to €520! even that's not cheap with your age and good driving record
    my car is with Aviva similar record to yours and age, wife and son on policy, son on N plate, think it was €390 FC or there abouts, could be address matters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Your age: 38
    Car Type and year: Audi A3 2008
    Driving: 15years 11 years NCB in own name
    Fully Comprehensive full NCB protection and drive other cars
    Paid last year : €540
    Renewal quote: €521 (paid 480 after phone call)

123.ie came in at €416 full NCBP but Zurich have been very good quote wise over the years and it's the first time in 4 years I got a genuine better offer with same protections as them, went with anyway as wasn't worth the hassle switching and home insurance is with them also

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bronkobilly

just insured my car tax due next month and hasen't left the garden in a couple of weeks who's making money as the moment the insurance campany's less accidents. as last year the gave mostly everbody roughly 30 euro back since the lock down in which how many lockdowns have bin in but no refunds money for old rope :(

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭walshtipp

Age - 21
    Car - 2008 Toyota Auris 1.4 D-4D
    Driving 3 years with 2 years NCD in own name
    Cover - Third Party, Fire & Theft
    Location - Tipperary
    Price - €1260.79

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TA123123123123

Age - 28
    Car - 2011 Focus
    4 years NCD; 4 year Full licence; one named driver
    Cover - TPFT
    Location - Dublin
    No claims/convictions ect

Chill 544
    Zurich 589
    ItsForWomen 590
    Blue 603
    GMIB 620
    AIG 621
    AVIVA 636
    BOI 637
    Kennco 655
    Britton 660
    BestQuote.ie 668
    Hastings 670
    Glennons 680
    Whoops 690
    Top Insurance 699
    First Ireland 737
    Campion 738
    Dolmen 748
    Acorn 750
    Quote Devil 775
    QuoteMe.ie 778
    Sheridan 780
    AA 795
    An Post 834
    FBD 835
    25 Plus 867
    Liberty 903
    AXA 921
    SuperValu 937
    123.ie 967
    AIB 1021
    Allianz 1089
    Cornmarket 1259
    XS Direct 1293

Best quote beating the renewal by over €100. Never had a year where the renewal was in any way competitive - I'm at the point where I expect to move on year-on-year at this stage.

Fair play to you for putting some time into that,so chill have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭JD3112

Apologies if this was asked before.

Got my renewal from Aviva for €440 (down from €480) which was quite good.

Went to the website and used a different email address with exact same details and it came back at €370.

Can I proceed with the €370 quote or is it 'a new customer only' kind of scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

You can no problem. You can even use your original email address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

As long as you enter Aviva as your current insurer, you have made a valid declaration. I have done this

Advertisement