Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Well I am one happy person

Car: Saab 93X TTID 180
    NCB 10+
    Cover: Comprehensive
    13 years NCB
    Quotation with AA:
    626euro
    Includes: Open driving & Comprehesnive insurance on any car in Ireland under 2.5litre. The other car does NOT need to be insured as confirmed on the phone and by the policy I received.

Unreal. I feel like I am back to the Quinn Direct days.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

flexcon wrote: »
    Well I am one happy person

Car: Saab 93X TTID 180
    NCB 10+
    Cover: Comprehensive
    13 years NCB
    Quotation with AA:
    626euro
    Includes: Open driving & Comprehesnive insurance on any car in Ireland under 2.5litre. The other car does NOT need to be insured as confirmed on the phone and by the policy I received.

Unreal. I feel like I am back to the Quinn Direct days.

So if you’re driving another car that’s not insured that’s okay then? Don’t think so. “Driving of other cars” means that the other car needs to be insured too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

So if you’re driving another car that’s not insured that’s okay then? Don’t think so. “Driving of other cars” means that the other car needs to be insured too.

Depends on the company, and some absolutely do not required the other car to be insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Driving other cars means driving other cars.

There are several policies that allow it and the op seems to be well informed of the conditions of his policy eg engine size, ownership status etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

If you don't know please don't comment. (You don't know)

The poster is allowed to drive other cars using the insurance belonging to their daily driver. The only thing they'll get caught on is they won't be covered for theft or fire.
    Also if parked in a public place they won't have a disc to put in the window for the loaner car so they can get a ticket for non display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I don't know what it is with insurance companies my wifes just came back for renewal and they have changed her sex to male. Means a whole new quote has to be sent out. Not many years ago the AA changed my address twice and I didn't get my documents.

Quote was €485 for a 1.4l 2007 petrol Fusion fully comp claims protection etc. me as named driver.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭CoBo55

tcawley29 wrote: »
    If you don't know please don't comment. (You don't know)

The poster is allowed to drive other cars using the insurance belonging to their daily driver. The only thing they'll get caught on is they won't be covered for theft or fire.
    Also if parked in a public place they won't have a disc to put in the window for the loaner car so they can get a ticket for non display.

He said he has comprehensive on other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

CoBo55 wrote: »
    He said he has comprehensive on other cars.

Does that not only apply if he is driving the car. I'm on about if it's left unattended in a car park.
    Hard to see how it would be covered then but open to correction.

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Does that not only apply if he is driving the car. I'm on about if it's left unattended in a car park.
    Hard to see how it would be covered then but open to correction.

It's a grey area alright. I would presume it would be the person who's name the car is in problem. Personally I never drive under the extension if the car hasn't got its own policy and at that it might be once or twice a year in a relatives car. There's a lot of skullduggery going on with that extension lark, I wouldn't like my car to be hit by someone driving on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

Licence: Full 9 years
    NCB: 2 years
    Car: BMW 420i M Sport

Quoted over €1,100...not sure if I am being ripped off or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Licence: Full 9 years
    NCB: 2 years
    Car: BMW 420i M Sport

Quoted over €1,100...not sure if I am being ripped off or not.

Seems like a good quote to me given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭on_the_roots

License: Full Irish, 18 months. Further 8 years in a non-EU country (but this has no importance on quotes here)
    Penalty points: 3 for exceeding speed. No convictions, disqualifications, etc
    NCB: 1 year
    Car: Toyota Avensis 2007 1.8 petrol

Quotes:

Renewal with Kennco, TPFT: 800,00 (down from 1600,00 on my 1st year with 0 NCB)
    Zurich: 995,00
    123: 1650,00
    AXA: 1746,00

Renewed with Kennco. Couldn't get anything else better, not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Licence: 10+years ago
    NCB: 4 Yrs ( insurance history reset while I was working abroad for 2 years....big mistake)
    Car: Lexus ct200h
    Liberty: €544.53

Renewed in January but now looking to change to an is300h and they are refusing to quote me on switching car as it's a 2.5L hybrid engine as I've less than 5yrs NCB so back hunting for new insurers... it's far from a 'performance' car..

Seem to be getting €827 as next lowest from Aviva..

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭clobber

Quick question

There any obvious reason why a specific insurer would hand out a quote with all the optional extras, but then one single change i make which is to go up a year in similar vehicle (2014 & above) they're like; erhm you need to call us.

Yeah granted the car they are covering is more valuable but the older cars they dont want to touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭on_the_roots

clobber wrote: »
    Quick question

There any obvious reason why a specific insurer would hand out a quote with all the optional extras, but then one single change i make which is to go up a year in similar vehicle (2014 & above) they're like; erhm you need to call us.

Yeah granted the car they are covering is more valuable but the older cars they dont want to touch.
    Things that I know:

1 - Insurers are not clear about their algorithms to calculate a quote. There are plenty of cases where people change a car to another one exactly the same but just changing to a different color and they charge additional premiums. This is a messy black hole and will never end unless strict regulations are put in place enforcing transparency on this.

2 - When a specific car was involved in a claim in the past it is put in a kind of black list database that insurers share between them (as well as customer profiles) and it may cause a refuse to give a quote straight away online.

3 - Insurers and brokers love phone calls. You will never get the best quote on a online calculator. Not in Ireland. There are always room to reductions if you pick up a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Spursyiddo

My axa renewal is €1,600 on a 02 polo 1.4 with a learner permit, I done a quick quote on 123.ie, a 08 note 1.4 and I'm getting €1,066. would I be better sticking with the polo or invest in a newer car. Any advise would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Your Age: 43
    Car type and engine:2014 Opel Insignia 2 litre diesel.
    years driving: 20+
    any claims: 7 years NCB
    Price and provider: €426 renewal from AIG, got it down to €405 when i called them to renew.

Best price i could get around, AIG have my house and home insurance, cheapest i could get for like for like car insurance price comparison.
    I have no hesitation changing insurance company every year, but 2 years running AIG have been the most competitive, they keep my business, paid in full today.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Spursyiddo wrote: »
    My axa renewal is €1,600 on a 02 polo 1.4 with a learner permit, I done a quick quote on 123.ie, a 08 note 1.4 and I'm getting €1,066. would I be better sticking with the polo or invest in a newer car. Any advise would be great

Hi ya,
    Just think what you will spend on the newer car will be more than the insurance for the polo with Axa.

Plus if the polo is running well and not costing you, if it was me I would stick with the polo, could you add a parent/sibling on the insurance might bring it down a bit for you also.

Good luck, presently on the phone waiting to see about cheaper car renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

clobber wrote: »
    Completely new to driving. Lets just say old enough :D
    Waiting to get driving test but obviously that's already factored in

And looking at smaller cars

Did you try Supervalu?
    21-year-old first insurance with them last year on a provisional license and they were lowest be a few hundred. For my own, they were not competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Shlippery wrote: »
    NCB: 4 Yrs ( insurance history reset while I was working abroad for 2 years....big mistake)

Renewed in January but now looking to change to an is300h and they are refusing to quote me on switching car as it's a 2.5L hybrid engine as I've less than 5yrs NCB so back hunting for new insurers... it's far from a 'performance' car..

Sorted..but at a cost.

NCB: 4 Yrs
    Car: is300h
    Zurich: €768

Bit of an increase but not many options since Liberty wouldn't change policy to adapt.- others were coming in at 800-950 as the car is 2.5L engine. Frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

did you try an post

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Spursyiddo

florawest wrote: »
    Hi ya,
    Just think what you will spend on the newer car will be more than the insurance for the polo with Axa.

Plus if the polo is running well and not costing you, if it was me I would stick with the polo, could you add a parent/sibling on the insurance might bring it down a bit for you also.

Good luck, presently on the phone waiting to see about cheaper car renewal.

Hi, Thanks for your reply, I should have added that my wife is on my policy with full EU licence. My insurance is up tonight but I phoned Axa and explained that I considering changing my car and they give 28 days to renew

After I phoned today I did a quote with AIB for the polo and it came in at €1327 fully comp which is nearly €400 less and Axa was only for fire and thief

I'm sure AIB partnered with Axa so is a big difference between the two quotes as well as 0%APR on monthly payments with AIB

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Renewed today. €380 for comp. New Ford. Model risk. Through a broker and underwritten by Footprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

Got a mail from 123 with a discount code if its any use to someone here:

"So simply start a quote online and don’t forget to enter 404040 in the promo code box for your €40 off."

Valid until 24th May

richieffff wrote: »

"So simply start a quote online and don’t forget to enter 404040 in the promo code box for your €40 off."

Valid until 24th May

Nice one, mine is out on the 2nd of May. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Sorted..but at a cost.

NCB: 4 Yrs
    Car: is300h
    Zurich: €768

Bit of an increase but not many options since Liberty wouldn't change policy to adapt.- others were coming in at 800-950 as the car is 2.5L engine. Frustrating.

Frustrating is putting it lightly. I've a 2007 Volvo 2.0 petrol which I'm paying €500 TPFT insurance for. I was thinking of changing as since approaching 15 years old not all insurers will quote and very few for anything remotely reasonable.

The Lexus IS300h was/is of interest as being one of the few petrol and/or hydrids available second hand and they're a nice looking motor but far from a performance car as you mentioned. I tried FBD and Liberty for a quote out of interest:
    41 M with license and NCB of 10+ years but FBD wanted €892 and Liberty €960 for comprehensive. Tried on a 141 Lexus GS300h and Liberty wanted €941 for that. Ridiculous and will be sticking with the Volvo for another year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 csonb20

richieffff wrote: »

Valid until 24th May

Thanks a million for putting this here. Was able to make use of this code earlier. Much appreciated. A very kind thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hey guys

Can you help me out please? I'm in full time employment now and I've my car insurance renewal in July with Axa. Do I update my employment status on the My Axa portal online and will that affect my renewal price? Will it bring it down does anybody know? I'm very close to my place of work, 15 minute drive. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Perinho

DenMan wrote: »
    Hey guys

Can you help me out please?

Hi DenMan,
    Best thing with insurance companies is honesty. I can't imagine it would affect your policy until July.
    Having a job might show them that you are less likely to be driving around in the middle of the day.
    Look for an online quote from someone else, first without job and then with a job - might be an indicator for ya!
    But I think be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Advise your insurer. Some occupations are considered high risk and not informing them could be considered non-disclosure. Many occupations are considered to be much lower risk than being unemployed, so you might be pleasantly surprised

Advertisement