Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Just started my yearly quote journey. So far most have gone up.

With FBD last year was €496 this year €550. Was so annoyed, rang them straight away and got it to €485. Just the fact I had to make that call. If i can get it €5 cheaper I will drop FBD

Anyone Know why the average is up considering less cars on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Just started my yearly quote journey. So far most have gone up.

With FBD last year was €496 this year €550. Was so annoyed, rang them straight away and got it to €485. Just the fact I had to make that call. If i can get it €5 cheaper I will drop FBD

Anyone Know why the average is up considering less cards on the road?

Balancing the books across the portfolio of policy types. In FBD's case, they took a big hit on Covid related business interruption claims, so funds are needed from other classes of policy. Most insurers are reducing premiums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Renewal quote received yesterday.

2020: €680

2021: €793 reduced to €700

132 Ford S-Max

Full licence

12 years NCD

5000 kms annually.

I can’t better it. Insurer is AXA

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

DenMan wrote: »
    Hey guys

Can you help me out please? I'm in full time employment now and I've my car insurance renewal in July with Axa. Do I update my employment status on the My Axa portal online and will that affect my renewal price? Will it bring it down does anybody know? I'm very close to my place of work, 15 minute drive. Thanks!

If down as unemployed on current insurance you’ll only have social domestic and pleasure certificate from Axa.
    Commuting to work is addition cover needed now, only about €25 per year for that use. Depending on the employer you may qualify for employee discount that may write of the charge.

If unsure will job/employer qualify for better rates then send me PM as I’m ex-Axa staff after 15 odd years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Got my renewal today, €463 I'm with AIG through its4women. Tried AIG directly €378 for exactly the same policy, AA wanted €525, I went with AIG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Vw polo 1.4 diesel 09
    F 50's + named driver son 25
    Full licence 30 +6 years.
    Have few extras, fully protected no claim bonus, comprehensive driving of other cars, breakdown assist, key cover and open driven insurance.
    Axa current provider renewal €670, down to €600
    Aviva €540

Rang Axa to say got lower quote but they wouldn't budge, I have house and farm insurance with them too policy worth €750, will ring week before renewal April 23rd to see if they will go bit lower or match Aviva, just think if I move they will hike up my other policy come August (renewal).

florawest wrote: »
    Vw polo 1.4 diesel 09
    Have few extras, fully protected no claim bonus, comprehensive driving of other cars, breakdown assist, key cover and open driven insurance.
    Aviva €540

Rang Axa to say got lower quote but they wouldn't budge, I have house and farm insurance with them too policy worth €750, will ring week before renewal April 23rd to see if they will go bit lower or match Aviva, just think if I move they will hike up my other policy come August (renewal).

Don’t move to Aviva as you’ll loose - Comp driving other cars, next year when car is 13yrs old they’ll apply an age loading to car.& Axa allow 5 pp on each licence at no additional fees(speed, seatbelt & mobile phone offences it the terms)
    Aviva rate has discount of €140 as both drivers have no penalty points(that’s me assuming based on ideal states above) so even if a week after renewal ye get 1st of PP ever then you’ll be loaded on the spot. Fail to disclose would be immed cancellation on their discovery.
    Not talking bullsh1t.. I’m ex-Axa staff and have family who are current Aviva staff so best knowledge in this scenario.
    Current home/farm rate includes the motor-discount so it’s not that they’ll hike the rate it’s because you choose to remove that rate

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Don’t move to Aviva as you’ll loose - Comp driving other cars, next year when car is 13yrs old they’ll apply an age loading to car.& Axa allow 5 pp on each licence at no additional fees(speed, seatbelt & mobile phone offences it the terms)
    Aviva rate has discount of €140 as both drivers have no penalty points(that’s me assuming based on ideal states above) so even if a week after renewal ye get 1st of PP ever then you’ll be loaded on the spot. Fail to disclose would be immed cancellation on their discovery.
    Not talking bullsh1t.. I’m ex-Axa staff and have family who are current Aviva staff so best knowledge in this scenario.
    Current home/farm rate includes the motor-discount so it’s not that they’ll hike the rate it’s because you choose to remove that rate

Thank you, didn't necessarily mean hike as I am aware of multi policy discounts, thank you for your help, I will give them a ring but more than likely will continue with them as have used their breakdown once ( well my son has a leak in diesel pipe in engine) and found them very helpful.

I was a Aviva customer for probably 20 years before moving to Axa.

This is a great site and thanks again for your valued input.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Interesting, thanks for posting above.

Aviva won't even quote me for the past few years ever since my car reached the self destructing age of 10 years old which in turn makes a mockery of the yearly NCT requirement. Male, 41, Full license with 10+ years NCB but 3 PP for doing 89 in a 80 section that used to be 100.

Zurich won't quote me either for that matter.

Axa may as well have done the same as insurance quote from them this year was €1,452.43 for TPFT with NCB Protection (€1,423.28 for Comprehensive with NCB Protection) for a 07 Volvo 2.0 litre. What kind of a farce is that with no claims and no convictions, it's over 2 1/2 times as expensive as my renewal quote from 123 which in itself is day light robbery.

Insurance industry needs state intervention at this stage. Perhaps a €300 set fee to cover the legal requirement of basic third party and motorist can thereafter purchase optional extras from existing providers. It might reduce the number of uninsured drivers on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Insurance industry needs state intervention at this stage. Perhaps a €300 set fee to cover the legal requirement of basic third party and motorist can thereafter purchase optional extras from existing providers. It might reduce the number of uninsured drivers on the road.

Why do yo think that no Irish government has ever tried to introduce a State backed 3rd party scheme? Because they know they could never cover the cost of running the scheme and pay compensation claims at the current level. It only works in countries where citizens have genetically stronger necks and, in many cases, morals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Given the average payout differences brtween Ireland and the rest of the Europe state funded scheme is out of question. I actually don't know a country in Europe that has something like that.

Looking at the thread lately most people got reasonable quotes tbh anyway (excl young drivers of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DAK69

Licence: 10+years ago
    NCB: 9 yrs
    Car: 141 Toyota verso 1.6d
    Renewal with Allianz: €770 (up €130 on last yr) even though Iv gone from 6 to 3 points

Got AIG for € 467 . Far more extras included to

DAK69 wrote: »
    Licence: 10+years ago
    NCB: 9 yrs
    Car: 141 Toyota verso 1.6d
    Renewal with Allianz: €770 (up €130 on last yr) even though Iv gone from 6 to 3 points

Got AIG for € 467 . Far more extras included to

AIG seem to be getting a lot of business hopefully it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

CoBo55 wrote: »
    AIG seem to be getting a lot of business hopefully it stays that way.

Not based on the quote I got of them this year of €859 for just TPFT (over 55% more than what I paid) I was insured with them about 5 years ago so they were competitive for me once.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »
    Renewed now - Liberty quote me €550 for another year.
    So it actually went down!
    Renewal time again
    Went with Liberty again, €562
    On par or cheaper than others I looked at, around 6 companies or so from the sticky list
    Liberty again, €496 euros with a promo code (before that was €523)

And again Liberty, this year €469 and with promo ended at €445.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Your Age: 27
    Car type and engine: Auris 1.2t
    years driving: 6
    any claims: none
    Price and provider AXA was 830e last year. Renewal 984e???
    Checked several other places
    Went with AA for 597 (excess is abit high though 750e) still much better value.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Renewal time. Last year, got it reduced from 660 to 600. This year, they specified on the letter that it would stay the same as last year, 660. I rang. Down to 575. Took it.

Vw polo 1.4 diesel 09
    Aviva €540

Rang Axa again during week 14-04 and they dropped it to €570 didn't match Aviva but feel getting bit more comprehensively driving other cars, plus had them for breakdown on motorway once ( leak in diesel pipe crack in pipe) and was impressed with their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AnSliabhCorcra

32 year old
    Male
    Cork
    Seat Leon 211 (1.0)
    Liberty - 380 for 1 year, fully comprehensive.
    4 years no claims bonus.
    No penalty points.
    1 named driver on policy (with no penalty points, driving 20+ years)

Was very pleased with the quote. Renewal coincided with purchase of new car (the one above), previous car was a 182 SEAT (1.0) and was coming in at 440.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

License: 16 years
    NCB: 10+++
    No accidents
    Car: 2017 Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8

Last Year: 1k Axa ( 1k every year since I got it)

Renewal came from AXA for 1k, but broker got from FBD 782eu. This is the first in 5 years I am paying less then 1k eu. Very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 tippej9

Male
    Provisional license.
    no lessons declared.
    no previous driving experience.
    1800 with AXA on 1.4i sport Ej9 civic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

33 year old Male
    Monaghan - Public Road
    2012 Honda Civic EX GT 1.8 Petrol
    Liberty - Renewal €464.23 TPFT
    4 Year NCB - No penalty points/previous claims.
    1 named driver on policy (with no penalty points, driving 20+ years)

Put through the same details on their site as a new quote - €425.73 comprehensive + driving other cars. :pac:

They've always been the cheapest by a long shot so won't shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

2019 Golf diesel €488 comp with 123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

2019 Golf diesel €488 comp with 123

In case you missed it, here's a code "So simply start a quote online and don’t forget to enter 404040 in the promo code box for your €40 off."

Should still be working

Rang Axa again during week 14-04 and they dropped it to €570 didn't match Aviva but feel getting bit more comprehensively driving other cars, plus had them for breakdown on motorway once ( leak in diesel pipe crack in pipe) and was impressed with their service.

ALSO - based on Zero penalty points (pp)
    Axa allow 3 pp on each driver licence at no additional cost.
    The Aviva rate would have included 26% pp discount to get down to €540 thus 729 originally.
    So 3 pp by any driver , even a week after renewal is €190 on the spot....fail to disclose them has excess clause of €2000+ on top of the standard €300.
    Axa best by far in your scenario

ALSO - based on Zero penalty points (pp)
    Axa allow 3 pp on each driver licence at no additional cost.
    The Aviva rate would have included 26% pp discount to get down to €540 thus 729 originally.
    So 3 pp by any driver , even a week after renewal is €190 on the spot....fail to disclose them has excess clause of €2000+ on top of the standard €300.
    Axa best by far in your scenario

Where did you get those figures? The pp ones I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Warbeastrior

32 year old Male Cork Seat Leon 211 (1.0) Liberty - 380 for 1 year, fully comprehensive. 4 years no claims bonus. No penalty points. 1 named driver on policy (with no penalty points, driving 20+ years)

Im 27 year old
    Male
    Donegal
    Nissan Pixo 10 (1.0)
    6 years no claims bonus.
    No penalty points
    I named driver on policy (with no penalty points, driving 30 years)

Liberty quoted me €570

How on earth have I been charged €190 extra than yourself I wonder!

I know my car is 11 years older but surely that shouldn't be that big a gap. A
    Also, I have two extra years no claims bonus.

I've heard people saying us in Donegal get hit worse due to rally narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Im 27 year old
    Male
    Donegal
    Nissan Pixo 10 (1.0)
    6 years no claims bonus.
    No penalty points
    I named driver on policy (with no penalty points, driving 30 years)

Liberty quoted me €570

How on earth have I been charged €190 extra than yourself I wonder!

I know my car is 11 years older but surely that shouldn't be that big a gap. A
    Also, I have two extra years no claims bonus.

I've heard people saying us in Donegal get hit worse due to rally narrative.

I think you've answered your own question.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Got a great quote from the AA yesterday for insurance but they don't do breakdown assist, you have to take separate membership for that. when the membership guy called me to negotiate a price on that he told me that I can't have my daughter on the membership as she doesn't live at my address. She uses the car occasionally and I want to keep her insured on it as much for a convenience for me as for her. I live in the suburbs (Dublin) and she's in the city. It is highly unlikely she would have the car overnight. I just want to ensure she's covered in case she's on a day trip somewhere and something happens. Do any of the experts on here know if that is the norm and more importantly is that going to cause a problem with having her insured on the policy?

For what it's worth the details of the insurance are:
    Driver 64, Female, Dublin based
    Car: Renault Clio, 182, 11 cc
    Full no claims bonus protection
    Comprehensive with one additional driver, 26, both full licence and no penalty points, convictions etc
    EURO 332.28 plus AA membership EURO 60 reduced down from 120

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

wife, 44, no points, Nissan X Trail 161, looking for fully comp
    Currently with Marsh.

Renewal €408, on phone without me prompting they reduced to €368
    Liberty- €391
    An Post- €427
    123.ie- €422

So sticking with Marsh.

Advertisement