Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Spursyiddo wrote: »
    My axa renewal is €1,600 on a 02 polo 1.4 with a learner permit, I done a quick quote on 123.ie, a 08 note 1.4 and I'm getting €1,066. would I be better sticking with the polo or invest in a newer car. Any advise would be great
    I have been finding lately that newer cars (even for comprehensive!) are slightly cheaper to insure. E.g. a 142 to a 04 cost extra 100euros..Mad sh#t Ted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

chancer12 wrote: »
    Got a great quote from the AA yesterday for insurance but they don't do breakdown assist, you have to take separate membership for that. when the membership guy called me to negotiate a price on that he told me that I can't have my daughter on the membership as she doesn't live at my address. She uses the car occasionally and I want to keep her insured on it as much for a convenience for me as for her. I live in the suburbs (Dublin) and she's in the city. It is highly unlikely she would have the car overnight. I just want to ensure she's covered in case she's on a day trip somewhere and something happens. Do any of the experts on here know if that is the norm and more importantly is that going to cause a problem with having her insured on the policy?

For what it's worth the details of the insurance are:
    Driver 64, Female, Dublin based
    Car: Renault Clio, 182, 11 cc
    Full no claims bonus protection
    Comprehensive with one additional driver, 26, both full licence and no penalty points, convictions etc
    EURO 332.28 plus AA membership EURO 60 reduced down from 120

See what quote AXA will do. They provide a decent tow service with most of their policies. Its very useful. Used it twice to get a car to a mechanic.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

See what quote AXA will do. They provide a decent tow service with most of their policies. Its very useful. Used it twice to get a car to a mechanic.

Unfortunately AXA were off the richter - 590

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

142 Zafira tourer 2.0cdti 130bhp.

Renewal for myself and the wife is €380 with 123.ie
    Got that down to €345 just doing a new quote online.

I'm going to price around tomorrow and see the difference between them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

corsav6 wrote: »
    142 Zafira tourer 2.0cdti 130bhp.

Renewal for myself and the wife is €380 with 123.ie
    Got that down to €345 just doing a new quote online.

I'm going to price around tomorrow and see the difference between them all.

At that price I wouldn't be wasting too much time looking for a better quote :eek:

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Male 54
    141 Civic 1.4l
    Aviva
    Full ncb
    €360.37
    Fully comp, ncb protected ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

At that price I wouldn't be wasting too much time looking for a better quote :eek:

It's not fully protected so it'll go up slightly if I add that.
    Just got a quote from FBD for €424 which is excellent considering they were always above €1000. I'll try liberty next since they were always miles above the rest previous years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭CoBo55

corsav6 wrote: »
    It's not fully protected so it'll go up slightly if I add that.
    Just got a quote from FBD for €424 which is excellent considering they were always above €1000. I'll try liberty next since they were always miles above the rest previous years too.

Why bother? At 345 it's a bargain I'd be very surprised if you got a lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

dinneenp wrote: »
    wife, 44, no points, Nissan X Trail 161, looking for fully comp
    Currently with Marsh.

Renewal €408, on phone without me prompting they reduced to €368
    Liberty- €391
    An Post- €427
    123.ie- €422

So sticking with Marsh.

Had never heard of Marsh before so rang them 360.14 versus
    Allianz 567.00 (current)
    Aig, 503
    its4women 540
    An post 619!
    AA 332. but this doesn't include breakdown assist

so, thanks for the 'heads up'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

It's that time of the year again (renewal).

Car: BMW E90 318D - 184bhp (2009)
    Years driving: 8 Years
    Claims: None
    Type of Insurance: Fully Comp.
    Price and provider: Was/am with AA: 890 Euro

This year AA quoted me: 863 Euro
    123.ie Quoted me: 479 Euro

I will look around more insurers as I believe there is a chance it can go lower than tan 450.
    (Finally I have reached that age where insurance can cost less than 800 euro)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

arleitiss wrote: »
    It's that time of the year again (renewal).

Car: BMW E90 318D - 184bhp (2009)
    Years driving: 8 Years
    Type of Insurance: Fully Comp.
    Price and provider: Was/am with AA: 890 Euro

This year AA quoted me: 863 Euro
    123.ie Quoted me: 479 Euro

I will look around more insurers as I believe there is a chance it can go lower than tan 450.
    (Finally I have reached that age where insurance can cost less than 800 euro)

That's a very good price

I've a less powerful car, years older, full ncb, and I'm still paying over 400 with allianz (and none of the others came close when I looked around last year). That's down about 10% on last year tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Your Age: 27
    Car type and engine: Ford Fiesta ST Line 1L
    years driving: 10+
    any claims: no
    Price and provider: 25plus at €420

My policy last year with Zurich was 540 still haven’t received renewal in post yet so should get this in a few days. Been messing round with quotes and at €420 it’s a bargain of a price for my age!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Where did you get those figures? The pp ones I mean.

On assumption the poster has not mentioned PP I’m figuring Aviva quote of 540 includes 26% discount.
    €540 = 74% of true price then €729 approx standard gross price.
    Upto ‘18 the stats were 62% of drivers each had 2-3 pp with about 20% of them drivers not declaring to insurers.
    The insurer asks ‘have u clean full licence? Yes/No answer...the question’have u pp is answered’within same

As in why I know the Axa stuff do well as I was staff for 15yrs & new business/renewals/comparisons of cover was my daily fun.
    If you give axa you driver licence number doing quote they’ll know instantly if any pp exist within current 3yrs but won’t know the offence(s) reason so they’ll get that info before inception to see if quoter declares or not

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

chancer12 wrote: »
    Unfortunately AXA were off the richter - 590

Buy the main cover from AA but ‘Axa partners’ sell a stand alone breakdown cover called ‘motor rescue’ that comes to the car, irrelevant of listed driver residence. once ireland based & insured address is the main home address then AXA know occasionally the towing destination may differ. Motor Rescue is door-2-door & roadside assistance. Towing any distance with island of ireland. No excess & ranges from €35-€75(uk use was pre-brexit) so double check same.

Be sure on the AA car insurance policy that your daughter/son is named as residing at different address with his-her own car. If daughter/son does not have own car then insurer(AA) may have notions that daughter is main user with parent covering u see loophole as cheaper at times.

Axa partners have a call centre in Athlone that runs both Axa Ireland & UK breakdown service/GAP insurance & pre-covid their travel insurance.

09064-86300 is direct number for Axa partners.
    I’m ex-Axa staff. The phone number above will get direct access to axa partners switchboard.
    Happy motoring either way

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Age: 35 License: 16 years NCB: 10+++ No accidents Car: 2017 Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8

Last Year: 1k Axa ( 1k every year since I got it

Renewal came from AXA for 1k, but broker got from FBD 782eu. This is the first in 5 years I am paying less then 1k eu. Very happy.

Its madness that that is the lowest someone in your situation is offered.
    Ya have never had an accident and have a full NCB.

Cowboys Ted!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Age: 35 License: 16 years NCB: 10+++ No accidents Car: 2017 Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8

Last Year: 1k Axa ( 1k every year since I got it

Renewal came from AXA for 1k, but broker got from FBD 782eu. This is the first in 5 years I am paying less then 1k eu. Very happy.

Its madness that that is the lowest someone in your situation is offered.
    Ya have never had an accident and have a full NCB.

Cowboys Ted!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I have a 08 Ford Fiesta. Liberty quoted me 615. Have been driving for more than 40 years, accident free.

27 yo male
    Ford Fiesta ST Line 1L
    6 years no claims
    10 years driving experience
    No points/claims
    €530 renewal with Zurich
    €420 with 25plus.ie (AIG)

The cheapest was 25plus with €420 so went with that in the end. Bargain of a price!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

27 yo male
    Ford Fiesta ST Line 1L
    6 years no claims
    10 years driving experience
    No points/claims
    €530 renewal with Zurich
    €420 with 25plus.ie (AIG)

The cheapest was 25plus with €420 so went with that in the end. Bargain of a price!

I might change to them next year. Especially since Liberty is requiring people to print their own documents. Something that is hard to do without a printer.
    I called the office and after a ten minute wait I got to speak with someone who told me they would post it to me. That was last week and as of today I haven't received it and my current disc will be obsolete in May 1st.

I might change to them next year. Especially since Liberty is requiring people to print their own documents. Something that is hard to do without a printer.
    I called the office and after a ten minute wait I got to speak with someone who told me they would post it to me. That was last week and as of today I haven't received it and my current disc will be obsolete in May 1st.

With 25plus (AIG) you have to print it out yourself or you can pay €20 for documents to be sent out.

• Advertisement

I can't remember the last time I received a cert from an insurance company... You'd pick up a phone compatible printer for small bobs. I certainly wouldn't let print or post be the deciding factor for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭PatM65

Insurance due for renewal on May 23rd.

Car: Skoda Superb 2 litre diesel - 190 bhp (2016)
    Years driving: 35 plus
    Type of Insurance: Fully Comp
    Price and provider: Renewal quote from Aviva was €624 - down from €685 last year.

When pushed they dropped to €551.

However I went with Munster Insurance who got me equivalent cover with AXA for €450!

No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Car: 2011 Ford Focus Style 1.6 TDCi 110
    NCD: Since 41AD
    Licence: Dog, with "Dog" crossed out and "Driver" written in crayon.
    Area: Cork City Southside
    Cover: Full comp(inc. on other cars)/breakdown/glass/step-back
    Renewal: €486 BoI/RSA
    Last year: €439 BoI/RSA

Rang them up and got €20 off, so €466. Could be worse.

PatM65 wrote: »
    Insurance due for renewal on May 23rd.

Car: Skoda Superb 2 litre diesel - 190 bhp (2016)
    Years driving: 35 plus
    Type of Insurance: Fully Comp
    Price and provider: Renewal quote from Aviva was €624 - down from €685 last year.

When pushed they dropped to €551.

However I went with Munster Insurance who got me equivalent cover with AXA for €450!

No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Your profile is exactly the same as mine except my superb is 191 I got fully comp for 378 from AIG directly, give them a try.
    Sorry I was mistaken I'm being charged €22 extra for the remains of a small claim I made in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭PatM65

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Your profile is exactly the same as mine except my superb is 191 I got fully comp for 378 from AIG directly, give them a try.
    Sorry I was mistaken I'm being charged €22 extra for the remains of a small claim I made in 2017.

That's odd as AIG were nowhere near as competitive as either Aviva or AXA. When I queried the only reason they could come up with was because the car was 190bhp!

PatM65 wrote: »
    That's odd as AIG were nowhere near as competitive as either Aviva or AXA. When I queried the only reason they could come up with was because the car was 190bhp!

One of those days, mine is only 150 bhp, sorry about that...
    I’ll go and get de tay it might help me read better...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hontou

18 yo Female (My daughter)
    Skoda Octavia 2011 1.6 diesel
    No years driving experience, first car on N plates
    No points/claims
    €2600 with Axa
    No one else would quote but Axa because the car will be in Longford and more claims in Longford than elsewhere. Hence more expensive.

Was looking at Opel Corsa (2013) and Ford Fiesta (2011) too.
    Quote for Corsa was €1900 but car was a lot more expensive
    Quote for Ford Fiesta was higher than Skoda so she went for the (better?) car.

I assumed smaller cars were always cheaper for insurance but that clearly is not the case. My daughter (who paid for all herself and needs for work) decided to go for the combined price of car and insurance when buying a car and made her decision based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

With 25plus (AIG) you have to print it out yourself or you can pay €20 for documents to be sent out.

I saw this mentioned on a different thread but might be useful for this thread too.

https://www.printcopyandgo.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Renewal time has come around again with 123.ie....

Car: 2019 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV
    Years driving: 17
    Type of Insurance: Fully Comp with full no claims protection
    Price: This year, the random number generator wants €629. Last year I paid €634, so my premium has dropped by a fiver.
    The 123.ie online system quotes €560 with the same details as a NEW customer

Its4Women.ie wants €393!!!!!

I wonder who I will be going with if 123 can't price-match :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Miscreant wrote: »
    Renewal time has come around again with 123.ie....

Car: 2019 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV
    Years driving: 17
    Type of Insurance: Fully Comp with full no claims protection
    Price: This year, the random number generator wants €629. Last year I paid €634, so my premium has dropped by a fiver.
    The 123.ie online system quotes €560 with the same details as a NEW customer

Its4Women.ie wants €393!!!!!

I wonder who I will be going with if 123 can't price-match :rolleyes:

It’s for women are a front for AIG, try their site directly you could shave a bit more off.

Advertisement