Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mickwat155

Male
    Full license for 10 years
    9 years no claims bonus.
    Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI 2008

I paid €464.47 this year with the rsa through 123.ie I couldn't believe it.. I was with axa the previous year and they were looking about €710

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Miscreant

mankteln wrote: »
    cheapest I've found so far is its4women at €711. They don't offer any no claims bonus protection which I have at the moment(and having started off with no no claims bonus I know that's worth it's weight in gold!) so not keen to switch to them

I just switched to Its4women and they definitely offer a protected no claims bonus. I had to pay a little extra for it but it was definitely there on the website when I purchased and confirmed in my policy documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mankteln

Miscreant wrote: »
    I just switched to Its4women and they definitely offer a protected no claims bonus. I had to pay a little extra for it but it was definitely there on the website when I purchased and confirmed in my policy documentation.
    Yeah when I got to the final screen it had a box where it said it could be added for a premium but it said it was unavailable to me as they only offer it once you have 5 years NCB or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chrisam

Hi

Just renewed this morning. Quoted €604.69. This was the cheapest, Ivernia, offered through Chill.

Just wondering, what is the secret formula to cheaper car insurance? Would love insurance quotes less than €400 and am not sure what factor is contibuting to my higher insurance quotes?

46 yr old female driver
    10 yr old Renault Megane Hatchback (diesel), which I've had 9 yrs
    9+ years NCB
    8k milage pa
    Comp insurance
    Parked in driveway
    Not used for work

Any thoughts on what is contibuting to my €600+ quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Chrisam wrote: »
    Hi

Just renewed this morning. Quoted €604.69. This was the cheapest, Ivernia, offered through Chill.

Just wondering, what is the secret formula to cheaper car insurance? Would love insurance quotes less than €400 and am not sure what factor is contibuting to my higher insurance quotes?

46 yr old female driver
    9+ years NCB
    8k milage pa
    Comp insurance
    Parked in driveway
    Not used for work

There are lots of criteria that Insurance companies use to calculate the premium due. Your home address may play a factor also (do not put that here on Boards of course:) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Hi

46 yr old female driver
    9+ years NCB
    8k milage pa
    Comp insurance
    Parked in driveway
    Not used for work

Occupation and area you live in, the car is getting a bit old too (in the eyes of insurance companies).

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Hi

46 yr old female driver
    9+ years NCB
    8k milage pa
    Comp insurance
    Parked in driveway
    Not used for work

Added a named driver ( she MIGHT even drive the car once a year) and quote reduced by about €100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭passatman86

Just renewed, not happy but didn't expect much.
    Rang around and current insurers was cheapest

2010 avensis "own nearly 6 years"
    Full licence male 35 y/o
    10 + years no claims
    Fully comprehensive
    €710
    Parked driveway, 10-12k kilometres a year
    Was getting quotes of €800 plus elsewhere

Hear others getting €500 or so with similar details but not for me it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭on_the_roots

mankteln wrote: »
    Renewal coming up next month and AA are offering €950 so been shopping around, cheapest I've found so far is its4women at €711. They don't offer any no claims bonus protection which I have at the moment(and having started off with no no claims bonus I know that's worth it's weight in gold!) so not keen to switch to them. AXA (who I was with previously) are offering €840 and they have some protection (it's step back so you lose a year), anyone know what other companies offer NCB protection at this stage (lots tend not to offer it until you're full/5+ years)

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the point with NCB Protection? I never understood this.

If you have a claim it will be registered on your name and every quote that asks for claims on last 5 years will definitely put up prices for you anyway, no matter how many years you have left on your NCB certificate.

Can you help me understand what is the advantage of having this protection?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the point with NCB Protection? I never understood this.

If you have a claim it will be registered on your name and every quote that asks for claims on last 5 years will definitely put up prices for you anyway, no matter how many years you have left on your NCB certificate.

Can you help me understand what is the advantage of having this protection?

You don't go back to zero years. I made a claim in 2017 which put me back to having 3 years NCB on my cert, this is my last year being penalised (€22) for making that claim. If I hadn't had NCB protection I would have another 3 years to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭on_the_roots

CoBo55 wrote: »
    You don't go back to zero years. I made a claim in 2017 which put me back to having 3 years NCB on my cert, this is my last year being penalised (€22) for making that claim. If I hadn't had NCB protection I would have another 3 years to go.

In your case, this claim penalized you by only €22/year during 3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Don't you worry both me and you were punished though for his claim. :eek:

No, the loading for this year's renewal was only €22 according to the breakdown of the premium.

Don't you worry both me and you were punished though for his claim. :eek:

What do you mean by that smart arse?
    My 6 week old car was vandalised to the tune of more than €3000. I claimed on my own insurance. It was probably done by someone with the same mindset as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Male and female: Both 40
    Dublin
    Hyundai i30

AIG 397.43
    Liberty 440.09
    123.ie 475.76
    AXA 610.55 Supervalu same price
    FBD 519.38
    Zurich (OneBigSwitch) 400
    Zurich 387
    Its4women 359

Here's what I have so far. I know it's not an exact comparison as there are different levels of cover and excess etc.

Think I'll go with Its4women. That's with €0 voluntary excess and the 'Premier Plus' added which includes compulsory excess reduced from €450 to €300 and roadside assistance with homestart. I'm sure some people sign up not realising that they have a compulsory and voluntary excess. As standard without changing anything it would be €750. I'm currently with them and renewal is €405 :rolleyes:

Interesting that the Zurich through OneBigSwitch is actually dearer despite meant to be having a bigger discount.

The SuperValu comment is there because AXA are the actual insurers. You get SuperValu rewards through it but as you can see it's a lot more expensive than the others so you're paying for those 'rewards'. Also, the €30 of rewards they give is 2 x €10 off a €40 spend and 1000 points. We wouldn't spend €40 in one go in SuperValu really so not much use to me.

Any others I should try before going ahead? I'm going to buy today.

Just tried AIG again and it's €371. Due for renewal on 1st June. Does it get cheaper the closer you get? :D

I went with Aviva in the end €348

I'm never sure if I should purchase no claims protection or what level to choose. Went with step back this time. Was around €330 with no protection and over €360 with full protection.

Male (with wife added too) both 40
    2015 Hyundai i30
    Low mileage
    Dublin

Added a named driver ( she MIGHT even drive the car once a year) and quote reduced by about €100

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Had been insured with 123.ie for the past few years, and usually just went with their renewal price.
    Had an issue this year where the website wouldn't accept payment via card, and I tried three of them.
    I wasn't in a position to call them on the phone, and their email response was terrible, so I ended up switching with chill.ie, to Allianz, for €382 on a 2008 Golf. About €100 cheaper that 123.ie.
    Had about a week where the car wasn't insured, as I couldn't get in touch with 123. But it was off the street and not being driven during that period.

I can't edit my post but my price with Aviva was actually €338. I know it's only a tenner but I thought it was a good price, compared to others I was getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Got my Renewal notice from Aviva last weekend

Last years Premium - €432
    This years renewal quote - €476

Male; 42; Full ROI License for 18 years; Zero Claims and zero Penalty points
    2012 Audi A5 sportback 2.0 TDI

Other Quotes -
    Aviva (as new customer) - €450
    FBD - €339
    Axa - €545
    123.ie - €409
    Allianz - €397
    Zurich - €643
    The AA - €590

Will probably be going with FBD this year. I'm surprised my quote from Aviva went up this year after all my mileage as dropped to practically nothing

• Advertisement

Try its4women. You have to print your own docs and be careful of the voluntary excess as there's also a compulsory one of 300. I reduced the voluntary to 0 and still got a decent quote.

Wheety wrote: »
    Try its4women. You have to print your own docs and be careful of the voluntary excess as there's also a compulsory one of 300. I reduced the voluntary to 0 and still got a decent quote.

OH had a nightmare dealing with getting insurance set up with its4women and her situation was very straightforward (no claims & all documents in order). She says it wasn't worth the effort

Mr Hoppy wrote: »
    OH had a nightmare dealing with getting insurance set up with its4women and her situation was very straightforward (no claims & all documents in order). She says it wasn't worth the effort

How? The most you need to do is send them a copy of your licence both sides and the NCB cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 totover

Hey everyone.

So let me explain this.

After a 3rd attempt recently and failing at driving test for full license I'm resigned to the fact that it just won't happen anytime soon especially with covid. No serious incidents or mistakes but unlikely to pass either.

So lets leave the testing business aside as I know where I stand with that.

Re Insurance, in an ideal i would have the full license and have the pick of most situations. I'm not going to get any better value with full license as compared to the learner permit. Simple as that. We can all agree on that

Now im accepting i will be still on the permit for a while. I need either to iron out mistakes in another car or simply keep paying an instructor. Of those 2 choices a car is currently the better choice. An instructor won't spend all day going over the same issue whereas in car I can do that.

Again I know with the provisional a qualified driver needs be with you. We'll get that sorted if necessary

My main question based on what i have just told you is; I need to know what the best move for me in terms of insurance are to
    "pay into the pot"so to speak and build up my insurance profile

I know the choices I have in relation to fixing my driving habits. But I'm basically thinking alongside the practice I need to start paying in to pot sooner rather than later

It's all relative. I assume if I don't pay now I will pay later so whats the odds

• Registered Users Posts: 12 totover

Insurance or instructor

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

2013 smax 40 year old €320 (20 years no claims )

Interestingly I was rear ended last month I suffered a low back soft tissue damage was fairly stiff for a few days , bumper had slight crack also so rang insurance company to inform them .
    Insurance renewal came as €995 because I had reported the claim and had a claim open . I didn't claim as my back healed within a couple of days and car got a quick check over in garage and was fine .
    When I rang to close off claim the woman in claims department was telling me to claim , she said they'll most likely offer you money without challenging the claim , I was disgusted with this , I told her this is why insurance is so expensive . She wasn't seen my point at all and arguing insurance is expensive through fraud not genuine claims .
    Anyway as I explained to her the guy that hit me will be receiving a letter saying his insurance has gone from 320 to 900+ but she didn't get my point .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

From your own description, your car was damaged and you suffered soft tissue injury as a result of negligence by another motorist. Why are you so offended by the advice your insurer gave you to claim for a legitimate loss? That's what insurance is for and bears no relation to fraud

Anyway, I hope your injuries don't come back at you later, can't have been nice

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

From your own description, your car was damaged and you suffered soft tissue injury as a result of negligence by another motorist. Why are you so offended by the advice your insurer gave you to claim for a legitimate loss? That's what insurance is for and bears no relation to fraud

Anyway, I hope your injuries don't come back at you later, can't have been nice

There was a small crack in the bumper which would have been a massive over reaction to change . You had to get a magnifying glass to see it .
    I was fine after a couple of days so when renewal quote came a few weeks later I was healed 100% , so there's no need for any compensation I'm uninjured and car is in perfect working order , but the insurance claims department where encouraging me to claim on the basis that the other party had admitted liability it will likely be an uncontested offer . I just don't see why someone in that situation should be actively encouraged to claim . The whole claim culture is gone crazy , to a man everyone I spoke to that day recalling what happened said " claim , you'll get thousands " .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You suffered damage and a soft tissue injury. If you don't want to claim for that, that's your own decision. My point is that you seem to have taken offence to the correct options given to you by your insurers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭djan

Coming up to my renewal so shopping around. Only have one year's policy holder NCB now compared to 4yrs named driver when I got my own policy last year. Some quotes are actually coming in as more due to having less years NCB even if they were named driver.

Surely with an additional NCB it should go down? If anyone has any recommendations for brokers etc please let me know. Thank you!

Advertisement