Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

2.0L 161 Skoda Superb Auto estate 150bhp

47 yr old male

Full Licence

10yrs + No claims

Fully comp, with limited business miles and indemnity.

Renewal with AIG 345, down from 353 last year. Golfers policy, so 2000E insurance for clubs in car also.

Hardly the promised reduction due to reduced claims, but still a good price, probably check out 2 or 3 other companies nut think it will be hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Wife's renewal came in from AiG.

35y,licence 10+,bonus 10+,3 points since last week(feckin van,she did 107/100)

Megane 13 1.5,fully comp,glass,driving other cars,full bonus,me as named driver

Last year 440.

Renewal came at 385€ but when I rang AiG to add points to renewal price went to 480€(!!)

Aviva came up cheapest:

366€,fully comp,glass,step back,brakedown,me as named driver,3 penalty points added to policy.

Difference with 3 points or 0 points was 17€ with Aviva.349€ would be with 0pts

Other quotes:

Axa 410

Liberty 550

123.ie 497

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

My son just got his first car, first car insurance :

18 years old

2008 Astra 1.4 Petrol

On 1st Learner Permit

0 years driving in a car, but 2yrs and 2yrs NCB on a motorbike - I'll get to that later....

Axa: €2,540

Liberty: €4,700

AA: €3,300

Chill: €3,400 - 3,900

123Go : €2,482 with tracker

Zurich: No Quote

Allianz: No Quote

Aviva:No Quote

I'm kinda annoyed at Liberty though: despite being with them 2 years on a motorbike, having a full bike licence, and advanced assessments as well, they made no effort at all. On top of which I'm with Liberty on my car, and my daughter is with Liberty on her car as well. So much for 'loyalty'.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭CoBo55

All my children started with AXA nobody else were interested as you can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Male 39, Leon FR diesel

Comp plus class 1, no voluntary excess.

Last year AIG €550

Renewal AIG €520

AIG Website 3 weeks ago €467

AIG Website today €404 - We have a winner

All the rest......

Zurich - Wouldn't quote

Geet set go €450

Chill €493

Kennco €470

Axa €623

FBD €715

Allianz €491

Supervalu €650

123 €493

Aviva €718

AA €555

Some of them obviously don't like the Class 1

AIG are odd. Renewals guy rang me. Told me he could do nothing over the phone and to go with the online ones from them.

My mileage has dropped from last year, WFH 2 or 3 days now and was fulltime out and about so he could have gone in and adjusted mileage.......not allowed??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wife just got quoted a grand. 40, 15+years, full clean licence. Car is an ever reliable 07 fiesta.

It was 710 but he had the post code wrong. This was already an increase of 150. We live in a safer area now (and the last wasn't unsafe) but it's put it up by 300 quid. They have the data to be able to do it by eircode but arbitrarily do it by large outdated postal code areas

It's legal thievery

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Your eircode makes a huge change for AXA, I put in the wrong eircode for a 19yr friend I was getting a quote for, 2300 with a full license but almost no experience on a 1.6 a3, the address was a much posher area but apartments, when I put in his actual address, 1360e!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭rn

Female, 41, 20 years driving experience. No claims

162 Skoda Octavia 1.6 90bhp

She used to be on a company car so no existing personal policy.

After securing letter from company insurer(a nightmare process in itself, took over 6 weeks) best quote is allianz at €420.

Not bad, but hassle.

Best quote without any no claims was Zurich at 998.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭rn

Male, 41, 20 years driving. No claims, no points

Vw tiguan 2.0 tdi 150 BHP.

Renewal was 498 with glennons via allianz

Allianz directly 448 as a new customer

It's for women (top comprehensive package they have, with all options added) 303

Chill insurance 380

After calling glennons, new quote was 378. Went with that as there's a lower excess than others and full comp insurance on driving other cars.

Definitely worth shopping round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

46 Male, claims free and full licence for over 20 yrs.

17 Superb estate 2.0D

Aviva last year were 422, with a renewal quote of 482.

123 were similar price but with €75 new business discount and a bit of haggling got FBD for €389.

Fully comp on driving other cars included along with breakdown and stepback cover.

Claims are down, expected pay outs should be down, premiums should be down to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I would have gone to either the insurer you had the van with or the insurer you previously had car insurance with and made a representation. I assume that in 2018 you had both a commercial policy and a car policy and full NCB built up on both?

I had similar, but in reverse. I had full car ncb and full commercial ncb, but then ditched the van as I didn't need it. Then early last year I needed one again and it was near 3 years since my previous van insurance lapsed. Axa asked me to email the details and they came back and gave me a quote with full ncb of €440 for a transit.

Chill are a broker and tend not to have as much interest as a direct employee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

a broker would have been able to get your NCB mirrored over and give you the benefit of it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

No one could touch renewal price of 345 Fully comp inc driving for employer and NCB protection. AIG Golfers insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

do u mean mirrored over from the van? they only allow you to use a ncb on 1 vehicle only which is a rip off imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

I have the van currently insured with AA insurance, they quoted me over 7 grand for the car insurance. I said give me the quote I'm sitting down, he replied are you lying down? and gave me the quote. Ended up going with zurich who are €1540 tpft. I cant find paperwork or remember who the car was insured with in 2018. I paid the equivelent of about €6000 back in 1990. They robbed me then and 32 years later they are robbing me again, never in all them years have i made a claim. Its no wonder that so many fraudulent claims are being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭eskerman

I contacted a company called Oneclick insurance to get a quote for my 19 year old son - his first car

I have a quote from them and the underwriters are a company called CFMG ... never heard if them and the quote we have is favourable under the circumstances 2009 Suzuki 1.2 ltr - he is 19 on learner permit licence and the quote TPFT is just over €2000 which I dont think is too bad

But who are CFMG..? not mainstream underwriters like AXA/Allianz/Zurich etc

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Was arsing around with change car estimator function on MyAXA ....have 6 mnts fully comp. insurance left and put in 3 different cars.....2010 volvo s40(4000) 1.6D...cost to change over 160euros....2004 s40(€500) 1.6 P ...50euros....2020 Porsche (€70000)...60euros.

In what world does this make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

CFMG = City Financial Marketing Group, have been trading under Cover in a Click for years. I have been with them before, they are reputable anyway and good for young drivers. Although I would check it is definitely underwritten by them, when I was with them my policy was underwritten by Asgard.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

Just got my renewal today from FBD:

For Context:

Male, 25, Full licence 6 years, Full No claims Bonus. No Penalty Points

Car - 2014 Seat Leon FR 2.0 TDI 150 BHP

Area of Use: Co.Dublin

Renewal: 615.36 - Comprehensive, Full No Claims Bonus Protection

Zurich: €692.87

Get Set Go: €791

Allianz: 701

AIG: 586.02

Kennco: 581

An Post: €666.91

AA: €1073

AXA: 754.37

123.ie: €864.56

Renewed with FBD after some negotiating, removed breakdown assist as I have AA membership and got it for €540!

3rd year in a row renewing with FBD despite shopping around, no complaints here!

also worth noting the premium is down from €676 last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Out of curiosity...anybody here or know of someone totaling a 50,000ish car ...insurance paying out...and premium going up by how much and for how many years? Assuming no bonus protection.

Cause I know people who have tiny tips say 2000 worth of damage...and their premium goes up for at least 5 years and they end up paying alot more than the 2k.

I'd say full bonus protection is the only way to go now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I made a 3k claim which halved my NCB, over the next 3 renewals I paid an extra 400 in premiums.

Missus totalled a 30k car and did 10k of damage to truck she hit.

Got 3 points for collision too.

Had step back.

Approx 400 premium rose to 1000

Back down to 600 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Renewal quotes for €565 existing cost

5 years NCB

AA(existing)-759

Allianz - no quote

Anpost €338 went with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

Car: Toyota Auris Hybrid 2012

Years Driving: 11, 6 with a full licence

No of claims. 0

Penalty points: 2

Mileage per Year: Less Than 5000km

Premium: 500e for Full comp wit he RSA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Penalty Points - 0

Years Driving - 22+

Years NCB - 10+

Car: 2012 Passat 2.0 Tdi

Current Policy: Allianz @ €414(been with Allianz for 3 years)

Renewal with Allianz: €495

This is nuts! Huge jump in premium so I checked around a lot of places to get competitive quote but minimum I could find was 550

I've no idea why I can only get a decent quote from Allianz so if there are suggestions out there, would be appreciated.

Also, I applied online with Allianz to get a quote, just to see. Got €432 online!

Talked to the Allianz office about it and was told that as I have a few years with them that I would lose my 'loyalty' bonus.

I told her that my loyalty bonus gave me a quote thats 60 quid more expensive than a fresh online quote, with Allianz! 😂

That flumoxed her so she has to call me back after she chats with a supervisor🤔

Any suggestions out there for me to try lower the quote? I thought premiums were supposed to fall?!

Mine came down a bit with AIG. €400ish with class 1.

Had the same issue as you though. My renewal was about €460 with AIG. Got online and rang them. They said "Go with the online one if it's better, we're not allowed tough the quote anymore"

But some of the other quotes were mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

AIG quote is 960 which includes a 10% online discount - this includes my partner as a named driver which usually drops the price but when i remove her the AIG quote comes down to 625 for some reason - its a pure lotto level scam!

Just to add, the online quote from Allianz was actually lower today than yesterday, by 40 quid....same details used. 🤷‍♀️

• Advertisement

Yep funny enough I got a cheaper by 20 or 25 quid by trying a couple different days..... madness

Advertisement