Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭ofcork

Got my renewal from chill 545 with ivernia which is 45 more than last year,went on their site and got 437 with same company!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pododonnell100

Got added to my mothers Insurance today as a learner driver, 17 years of age. 131 Skoda Superb worth €8,000 with my father as a named driver, residing in rural Sligo. €391 for mum and dad on their own, with mum being a shop assistant and dad as warehouseman ( both correct) and me as a student. Only €521.86 extra which is excelent. when many of my friends paying from €1,000 to €1,600 extra on newer cars. Insurance runs from now to mid August, and should have a car and full licence by then.

If you get a cheaper quote on their website than your renewal from the same company can you take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Your on cover for around 7 months if the policy runs to mid August so the real annual additional premium for yourself to be added to the policy is closer to €900. Still an excellent price for a 17 year old on a Learners Permit. I would have thought you would be hard pushed to get cover even as a named driver on the likes of a Skoda Superb. What Insurance company can I ask?

I had a bit of hassle February last year with Allianz. They weren't making it easy by not allowing me to input my cars registration number to complete the online sale, seen as I was already with them - or something silly along them lines as far as I recall. In the end I done a like for like quote inputting the exact model and spec as my own and same yr and value as opposed to registration number. Got the quote reference and got on the phone to them. They weren't making it easy really with a few calls back and forth etc but agreed to honour the lower online price when I treated to take my business elsewhere. A bit sketchy but that was the general gist of my experience as I recall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Received my renewal this week.

Male

No points

9 years NCB

Driving +10 years

2017 Ford Focus ST TDCi

Have the aul fella on the policy to make it cheaper even though he doesn't drive it.

Renewal €653 with Bank of Ireland/RSA 😕

Was expecting it to be sub 600 this year. Last year's was 680 on the 320d (which was an increase on the year before) but when I bought the Focus in September I received €30 back with two months of payments left so was expecting a decent renewal.

Shopping around I've gotten cheaper quotes from a few places, Liberty, Axa and Allianz to name a few that range from 580-630 but none of their policies are as good as my one so will stick with Bank of Ireland again.

Got halfway through an online quote with Acorn Insurance until it got to the part where it asked for the reg of other car(s) that I've access to........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Acorn are a broker.

Sometimes brokers ask too many questions just to be safe when checking all the companies they check.

That question just means another car in a wife and husband situation. Not if say you could technically drive your dad's car.

They were just asking too many questions for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Same details as last year, well plus 1 year on.

Renewal from the AA is €450, so up €70. Will be shopping around but it seems all prices are inflated.

As it was Acorn they were likely going to try and cross sell you Life Cover/ Income Protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Been driving for 10 years and I am in my 40ts... Renewal this year with AXA €601 Opel Corsa 08 reg. Cant switch as I never signed up for online banking or mobile banking and my card cant be used online the way it was. I was going to switch to Allianz who quoted 325 euro but by the sounds of it, they are a bit so and so at times. Due to hearing aids, I do not have the option of calling other insurance companies. Looks like I am stuck with AXA.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,218 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

Maybe so. Still wondering why do they need to know the regs of other cars I've access to ? I've easy access to 5 cars including my own but does it matter ?

Part of me feels like ringing and asking 😅

Zurich who I received a quote with after my original post came in at €613 and the sales person reckons he can get more off it when I provide driving licence numbers. Only thing is I'd loose my fully comp driving of other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

To answer Esel. They seem to have a good number of not so great reviews else where on internet land.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Currently I am with AIG. I'm looking at getting a new car but I cannot get a quote for a Zafira. (Doing change of Vehicle on the policy I have)

Every other car I try, I get a quote, high years, low years, 2litres even 3litres I get a quote, as soon as I try ANY zafira, it says to call them as they cannot offer me a Quote. Anyone else have this?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,218 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I *think* the Zafira has a tendency to go on fire.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Insurance companys don't normally do anyone but themselves a favour,but in this case AIG certainly are doing one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Thank you for that, I will not be getting it so 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Car: 2008 BMW 325i M-Sport Coupe, 3.0 Petrol

Years Driving: 20, full license

No of claims. 0

Penalty points: 6

Mileage per Year: Less Than 5000km

Premium: €635 fully comp with Allianz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭CoBo55

And it burns burns burns, the ring of fire, the ring of fire, don't park it in Douglas boy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭on_the_roots

Car: Lexus NX300h

NCB: 3

Claims: 0

Penalty points: 3

Mileage per year: less than 8k km

-------------------------

Allianz: 1886,33 (from broker 'Glennon')

AXA: 1358,00 (from broker 'Glennon')

FBD: 911,00

An Post Insurance: 971,00 (policy with AIG)

GetSetGo: 691,00 (policy with AIG)) (no windscreen, no road assistance, 600,00 excess)

Its4Women: 627,00 (policy with AIG) (no windscreen, no road assistance, 600,00 excess)

-------------------------

Looks like AIG wants me and I'm tempted to go for the Its4Women quote as it's about 30% less than AnPostInsurance, but I'm a bit concerned with the quality of their services, lots of bad reviews for both Its4Women and GetSetGo.

I rang chill he said the website quote is not accurate but got mine down to 500 so not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭robbie000

Renewal with Its4woman up from 490 to 530 this year.

I got a quote on there site for 450 all the same details as they are doing €80 off online offer. Can you just get a quote online and go with that or do you need to ring and try and haggle them down on the renewal quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

How far in advance are insurance companies typically sending out renewal quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I think they're obliged to send out the renewal a month before expiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Was in this situation before, called them up and they said it was for new customers, but I could avail of it, but only through new owner method. They insisted I sent in my licence again, even though they had it on old policy. Better again they had me forward my no claims they had sent me on to them. I think they hoped I wouldnt bother, but it was only a matter of sending 1 email to save 80 Euro.

Try AIG , they underwrite for itsforwomen and have been way cheaper for me for past 3 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭robbie000

Went with Allianz full cover with all the extras windscreen, breakdown, no claims step back included for €390.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Shopped around, competition wasn't great.

Zurich €627, Liberty €715, Axa €780, Asgard €902, Aviva would not quote, An Post wouldnt quote, 123 €466. Last year I was with Allianz through the AA. This year I went straight to Allianz.

Allianz, Fully Comp, Full NC and windscreen cover for €321.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭[Steve]

Your Age: 31

Car type and engine: 152 Focus 4dr, 1.6d

years driving: 9 months, 3 months named and 6 months own policy.

any claims: 0

Price and provider: €1710 Liberty. Full comp in own name, have the aul fella as named driver to lower it a bit.

Advertisement