Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Just paid online there for Allianz. Anyone know how long before they send confirmation of cover email? Forgot tomorrow is Good Friday and things closing up and needed cover for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Might not be relevant to forum but any companies lenient towards insuring a third car?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Got my renewal today, €527 with Zurich for the comprehensive plus plan. I went to Zurich as a new customer through OBS getting the exact same plan for €433, actually there's one slight difference the excess is €250 this time compared to €750 last year. I did try It's for women as they had texted me a 100 euro off code, a bloody joke😡, like for like they would have been over 700 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

No, you can only use your no claims bonus once.

get a car 20 years old and insure as a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Many thanks for reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Whocare

Same here Zurich last around 450 this 550 . But who is obs ?

Sorry, one big switch, they give a 20% discount. You get exactly the same policy for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Whocare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Zurich €470 last year, up to €545 this year. Increase of €75. So tried local broker he came in at €775, Back to Zurich by phone, and asked what was the best they can do….they came back with €484. Done! Some crazy quotes out there,,,,,,

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Had similar but did a new online quote with Zurich which came in circa the same as last time. Filled out a survey saying I was disappointed in them. Got a call a few hrs later and eventually got it about €20 cheaper than last year.

No, I didn't. I got the Zurich quote, and tried two local brokers, neither came within an assess roar of Zurich, went back and contacted Zurich by phone and got a lower quote. I have insurance on another car falling due in June, so will try one big switch then. I didn't know that it applied to motor insurance until I read it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Zurich last year (new business) was €595 (inclusive of Online Disc €142, Promotional Disc €115, Premium Disc €63)

This year's renewal was invited at €713

Phoned Zurich and was offered 5% discount so €677

Other quotes (like for like basis in so far as is possible, include Comp DOC, Full NCD Protection, Breakdown Assist, Home-start, Personal Accident and Personal Effects, similar excess etc)

Zurich through OBS €670

Zurich Direct New Business €738 !!

Allianz Direct - €669

RSA (through 123.ie) €708

AXA Direct €1,139

AIG Direct €2,392

Chill had nothing to offer; not competitive apart from the likes of Kenco and Ivernia which I'd prefer to avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Im with liberty and was offered 537 for renewal, reduction of about 20 which surprised me as last year was reduction of over 200 after first year policy. An post is 900, 2 or 3 others have turned me down completely including one big switch which looked good from talk here. Am wondering is it the year of the car being 2011? Not a lot of miles on it but noticed none of the companies I tried had a question about current mileage that I've noticed before on the liberty website.

This loading on older cars is one big scam as far as I can see…you can have the same car for 20 or even 30 years, and a friend of mine did just that and stay with the same insurer, no problem with renewals, but if I buy that car off him I will have great difficulty in insuring it. In other countries that I have been in, once it passes the equivalent of the NCT/MOT, the age doesn't even enter into it. Like I said, its all one big scam .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Yeah same, I have a 1998 Astra for 17yrs with BOI insurance for 10 years pay about €450 for me and my wife, but try to get a decent quote anywhere else not a hope even if they quote, I know this isn't a big problem for age of car in the UK .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That time of the year to get royally and strongly screwed up the jacksie for absolutely no reason. The only difference this year is, due to redundancy (for the 2nd time in a row) I'm unemployed, and that possibly means I should be paying more than double last year………….

2010 E-Class Coupe 2.1

Full Irish since 2007

NCB since 2007

No claims/convictions/etc ever

No points

Living in an area "other than listed"

Last year price: ~€720

Initial renewal quotes, cheapest is €1320…

I can't afford that. I just can't. I've never paid that much for car insurance in my life, and now that I'm barely driving anymore it's a scandalous amount! I know it's only the initial search, but usually this gives me a good indication of a ballpark figure.

I put in that I was working as a call centre agent and it dropped by €400… so if you're unemployed it automatically massively increases the renewal because… reasons. I then went off and used a 241 Corsa worth €17k and got quotes of €400. I used a 231 E-Class worth €67k, and insurance was only €800… So yeah, the poorer you are, the higher your premium. Totally fair. I have until the last week in June to renew, and hopefully get a job before then so I don't get the unemployed charge. Great country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

RInging around, Acorn can do €800 fully comp, AA (new quote, not the renewal) can do €810. I've a few weeks left so will continue to shop around, but even the agents on the auto callback system are reluctant to even tell me the crazy quote that comes back.

And again, confirmed, being unemployed means one pays a higher premium. Makes all the sense... is there anywhere that has a list of what insurance companies use? Or is it all made up by them as they go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

€610 3rd party F&T, AXA, 08 reg corsa [up 85 from last year]. tried to switch to AGI online but my debit card is not registered for online banking so I am stuck. Did try again 1 month later, but no joy. it looks like my renewal date is now too far off. Unless the renewal date is close to 1 month online system will not quote. It's all buggered up, and right now grinding my internal gears!!! hopefully, the car will not be too old for quotes next time! Might try a high street broker next month to see what they say.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

am thinking this is the last year I’ll be able to run a car due to all the added costs, which is I think , the ultimate aim of this government and eu . If there were a car club near by , go car is way too expensive for more than an hour or two now,I’d go for that .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Just wondering has anyone used the OBS Zurich offer while being a current Zurich customer. My quote from them for this year is €415 up €100 on last year. Going through OBS I'm getting € 317. Best shop around quote is €340

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

With Zurich myself, how does this work if you don't mind sharing?

I know you didn't quote me but it's easy to do. Sign up to one big switch and you'll get an email which has buttons for discounts for different products, BB, insurance, electricity etc, just select the one for car insurance and work from there.

As mentioned above it's easy to do. It does say in the t and cs that current Zurich customers are not eligible, but according to cobo55 it can be done . I'll be ringing them when I have time to check it out policy isn't up for a month yet

• Advertisement

Just got a call from Zurich and all good to go with the OBS quote

Advertisement