Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

baldshin wrote: »
    Just got my renewal letter from 25plus. Paid €550 last year fully comp. 29 years old, 7 years license and no claims, no penalty points. Car is a 00 1.6 Audi A3. I had feared the premium would rise given the age of the car. This years quote.....€3200!!!

Thats absolutly disgusting. Id love to hear back if you ring them on how they can justify a increase of that amount. Thats nearly a 600% increase in premium.

How can anybody defend or explain that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

sporina wrote: »
    Hi so I tried a few other co's and 25plus offers me the best package.

But now they have asked if I want to protect my no claims bonus - bumps price from €381 - €409.

I never thought about this before - is it worth getting it? Is the protection transferable to other companies and other cars etc? I will change my car this year. Anything else I should know? I'm thinking there is probably some fine print I am not aware of.

Thanks

Pay it mate the no claims bonus protection is a must for any insurance policy I take out now.

If you crash they can't really hold the crash against you and won't penalise you come your next renewal date. In relation to other companies most will recognise you have a full NCB even after a crash.

If you have a crash without your protection and your in your early 20's you'll be building up your ncb for years to come...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just got my renewal letter from 25plus. Paid €550 last year fully comp. 29 years old, 7 years license and no claims, no penalty points. Car is a 00 1.6 Audi A3. I had feared the premium would rise given the age of the car. This years quote.....€3200!!!

I wouldn't take that lying down. I know in alot of cases that get posted in here I try and explain the reasoning behind the insurance but there is zero reason for that level of increase.

There are rules in place that prevent ridiculous pricing because pricing at that level is tantamount to refusing to quote.

Based on your profile I'd put the ideal premium around €650 but offering a renewal of €3200 is frankly outrageous.

First thing you should do is call them tomorrow and tell them that offering premiums that are essentially so expensive they are refusing to quote and that is in breach of the equal status act. Tell them you want something in writing to justify the price hike and tell them you want a copy of the premium breakdown - this is how much they are charging for the third party liability, the fire and theft liability and the accidental damage liability.

If you cannot get any traction with them then contact the Insurance Information Service and get advice from them about how to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭sporina

Question - I noticed when looking for new insurance, that there was not much of a difference b/t 3rd party f+T and fully comp with most co's.. is this because my car is '01? I always thought that there was a major difference in the past - but not sure as I use to only look into 3rd party f+t

Question - I noticed when looking for new insurance, that there was not much of a difference b/t 3rd party f+T and fully comp with most co's.. is this because my car is '01? I always thought that there was a major difference in the past - but not sure as I use to only look into 3rd party f+t

Many insurance companies now use good quality scrapyard parts to fix cars so fixing an 01 wouldnt be to expensive which could explain cheap quotes.

3rd party is ok if your on a small budget but it's not great if your own car is badly damaged :o:o

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    Many insurance companies now use good quality scrapyard parts to fix cars so fixing an 01 wouldnt be to expensive which could explain cheap quotes.

3rd party is ok if your on a small budget but it's not great if your own car is badly damaged :o:o

huh?

but isn't there usually a big diff b't 3rd party and comp?

and what ever about replacing the car parts - comp covers me... ?

huh?

but isn't there usually a big diff b't 3rd party and comp?

and what ever about replacing the car parts - comp covers me... ?

My understanding is that YOUR always insured no matter what policy you hold. If you were ever injured you would be protected financially with any policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Car: 08 Nissan Tiida 1.5 DCI

NCD: 1 Years in my own name. Plus additional 3 years as named driver on another policy.

Licence: 1 year full license. No claims ever and no points ever.

Cover: Comprehensive

Best Quote: 1108 - Chill.ie

Aviva woudn't quote me. Cornmarket and AXA were around 1170. Liberty with 10% discount as the missus is with them was 1200. FBD was 1210. 123.ie was 1700. AIG was 1260. Allianz was 1220. BlueInsurance was 1600. AA was 1300. 25Plus was 1550. Zurich was 1400.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Car: 08 Nissan Tiida 1.5 DCI

NCD: 1 Years in my own name. Plus additional 3 years as named driver on another policy.

Licence: 1 year full license. No claims ever and no points ever.

Cover: Comprehensive

Best Quote: 1108 - Chill.ie

Aviva woudn't quote me. Cornmarket and AXA were around 1170. Liberty with 10% discount as the missus is with them was 1200. FBD was 1210. 123.ie was 1700. AIG was 1260. Allianz was 1220. BlueInsurance was 1600. AA was 1300. 25Plus was 1550. Zurich was 1400.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Car: 152 Audi A3 1.6d (105bhp)

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, protected

Best quote: €346.51 - Aviva

• Advertisement

Car: 152 Audi A3 1.6d (105bhp)

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Best quote: €346.51 - Aviva

wow why so reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Masala

Car: 05 Beetle

Licence: Full 20+ years, 3 points

Extra: Wife added (20++yrs driving ) plus 23yr old daughter (2 yrs driving)

Last Year: €880 with Aviva
    Renewal quote: €1,346.51 - Aviva

Goona be sitting on internet for weekend bunging in personal details into websites to see what alternatives I can get....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

This was back over the summer:

Car: c220 CDI, 2003
    History: 4 years experience, no points
    Cover: Full comp
    Extra: Partner added (8years, no points)

Cost: Was 800 with FBD, renewal came in at 1400

Moved to NoNonsense.ie, got full comp cover for 660 or so.
    Got confirmation that I'd be getting 18% of the current cost and a further 18% off the renewal quote come next time, after having used one of their 'SmartDrvier' things.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

ezra_ wrote: »
    This was back over the summer:

Car: c220 CDI, 2003
    History: 4 years experience, no points
    Cover: Full comp
    Extra: Partner added (8years, no points)

Cost: Was 800 with FBD, renewal came in at 1400

Moved to NoNonsense.ie, got full comp cover for 660 or so.
    Got confirmation that I'd be getting 18% of the current cost and a further 18% off the renewal quote come next time, after having used one of their 'SmartDrvier' things.

Smart driver is aload of sh1te, i used it for a year and my policy went up, no i wasnt driving bad, if you drive in the dark they screw you because thats high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

wow why so reasonable?

No idea but I'm not complaining, I'll take it,
    that's the renwal price and I doubt I'll beat it.
    Had a 132 reg same car last time and its been a very similar amount, within €10 or so.

Messing around on some of the insurance websites out of curiosty and the prices I have been quoted scare me

currently paying: 1,000 TPFT with Axa

I done 4 online quotes with different companies they all come to 2,000 or over..

Car: 05 c4

NCD: 5 years Full

Licence: full 6 years no points

Cover: TPFT

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

carzony wrote: »
    Messing around on some of the insurance websites out of curiosty and the prices I have been quoted scare me

currently paying: 1,000 TPFT with Axa

I done 4 online quotes with different companies they all come to 2,000 or over..

Car: 05 c4

NCD: 5 years Full

Licence: full 6 years no points

Cover: TPFT

Ring around, Chill told me nobody would do better than 1330 full comp for me on my car because it has such "high power". Rang AA and for 750 full comp, full bonus protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Went with bank of ireland in the end,nononsense wanted the 507 renewal up front couldnt get cheaper anywhere so boi is 552 but no charge for paying over 10 months with 2 months deposit fully comp.

Any ''Parents' here putting their Under 25 child on their policy??? Who best to talk to about such a policy???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

That's truly staggering, I'd phone them, ask to speak to a manager, ask for their name and threaten to contact Joe Duffy/Liveline about the matter. Scare tactics on one level but it'll put them on the spot at least. I'd be furious if I got that as a renewal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Zonda999 wrote: »
    That's truly staggering, I'd phone them, ask to speak to a manager, ask for their name and threaten to contact Joe Duffy/Liveline about the matter. Scare tactics on one level but it'll put them on the spot at least. I'd be furious if I got that as a renewal

The Joe Duffy line gets trotted out all the time, I lost track of the amount of times I was told that when I worked in the call center environment.

The reason it wouldn't work is because any Yahoo with a grudge can ring him and insurers are aware of that.

Yes, baldshin has a legitimate complaint however when Joe gets bandied about he is automatically placed in the aforementioned yahoo category by association.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Car: 10 VW Polo 1.2 (60bhp)

NCD: 1 year in my own name; 6 years named driver

Licence: Full 5 years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, NCD protection

Best quote: Last year with Aviva €571.56. Renewal quote this year (with change of address that pushed it up a little and health insurance policy discount of €36) €422.52. Quotes online all around €700 but might ring around anyway. Unlikely to beat that price to be honest - I was very pleasantly surprised!

Ok here is what I have so far... gosh tiring work this.. grr..

Anyway:

Female (30's): Toyota Yaris 01 1.0 Ltr, NCD 10 yrs, etc..

No Nonsense - 3rd party with breakdown assist - lat yr - €216 - this year €471

AA - 3rd party - €447

AXA - 3rd party - €655

Chill - 3rd party - €514

KennCo - 3rd party - €440

25plus - compre - €351; comp xtra - €381... no NCB protection

Liberty fully comp €663

No quote online = Aviva, AIG,

So I am thinking of going with 25plus comp xtra - any thoughts..

I know I could contact more... any thoughts? Anyone else I should look to for a quote?

Well, while haggling with 25plus, having chosen to protect my NCB - final price was €401 fully comp..
    Then I got a discount voucher code - so end price is €366... not bad.. So happy with that..

One really has to check on line and call around.. the quote on line is just a starting point.. the real price you will get on the phone..

Really disappointed at how a 3 x Points from Gatso van hits your premium!!

There was a time when Insurers would ignore first 2 points .... nearly every dog in the street had 2 points. But now these points hitting the pocket hard when it comes to Insurance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Got my insurance quote today and it has risen from €480 last year to €750 this year. I'll have to stop getting older as that's the only thing that has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

@Autosport. Have you posted your details already? Judging by a lot of posts the age of the car seems to be the common denominator. I'm 51 and my trusty Avensis is 13 in March and I'm expecting a jump like yours only mine was €546 last year and I'd be surprised if it was lower than €750 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

@Autosport. Have you posted your details already? Judging by a lot of posts the age of the car seems to be the common denominator. I'm 51 and my trusty Avensis is 13 in March and I'm expecting a jump like yours only mine was €546 last year and I'd be surprised if it was lower than €750 this year.

Right so I done a few online quotes and Blue insurance seems to be the lowest and that was €616 but no claims is not protected, Allianz are a joke as they didn't even give windscreen cover as standard €20 extra, I just can't get my head around the fact that I'm probably going to be paying the same amount as I did when I started driving :(

Anyone got a horse for sale

Blue insurance won't even quote me on my 05 c4 1.4.. Assuming they think it's to old ffs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

The claims culture among the certain well known minority is ruining it for the honest decent motorist in this country. PIAB only makes it worse. Until something is done to cap 'injury' claims, premiums are only going to get worse.

Advertisement