Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

CoDy1 wrote: »
    The claims culture among the certain well known minority is ruining it for the honest decent motorist in this country. PIAB only makes it worse. Until something is done to cap 'injury' claims, premiums are only going to get worse.

Its not the certain well known minority that are to blame, yes, they are part of the problem but only a small part.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

ok so i live in ireland for 3 years now. for 2 years i'm driving my car. i have my german drivers license for over 10 years now.

the first year i was quoted 900 something. last year i was quotes 800 something. yesterday i got the renewal letter for this year - a bit over 1000 euro. reason being that apparently there have been a lot of claims last year so they have to reflect this in insurance prices. how is this my problem? the people claiming are already getting higher premiums, so why do i have to pay more now.

i'm not pleased. what should i do? get a new insurer? quick searches on the web showed its not going to be much cheaper elsewhere. can i call them and talk to them about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭bren2001

Car: 00 Toyota Yaris

NCD: 4 years (other year I was a named driver)

Licence: 5 years, no points

Cover: Third party

Last years quote from the AA (whom I also have my house insurance) was 550 while this year it has jumped to 905. Finding it hard to beat that. I know the car is old but come on....

murfilein wrote: »
    ok so i live in ireland for 3 years now. for 2 years i'm driving my car. i have my german drivers license for over 10 years now.

the first year i was quoted 900 something. last year i was quotes 800 something. yesterday i got the renewal letter for this year - a bit over 1000 euro. reason being that apparently there have been a lot of claims last year so they have to reflect this in insurance prices. how is this my problem? the people claiming are already getting higher premiums, so why do i have to pay more now.

i'm not pleased. what should i do? get a new insurer? quick searches on the web showed its not going to be much cheaper elsewhere. can i call them and talk to them about it?

Insurance is pooled risk, ie, everyone pays into the same pot of money and claims are paid out of that same pot of money, if the money going out exceeds what's been paid in then everyone has to pay more.

Those that have made claims will usually have to pay a higher amount than those that havnt but in the main, everyone will need to pay more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Insurance is pooled risk, ie, everyone pays into the same pot of money and claims are paid out of that same pot of money, if the money going out exceeds what's been paid in then everyone has to pay more.

Those that have made claims will usually have to pay a higher amount than those that havnt but in the main, everyone will need to pay more.

The problem with that approach, it doesn't address the issue. Its like having a leaky boat and instead of fixing it, buying a more powerful bilge pump. And when asked why, say it's too much bother fixing the hole. And since this particular hole seems to be getting bigger, this crack can only carry on so far. When will anyone get off their hole and do something? When the cheapest premium has gone past a grand?

• Advertisement

The problem with that approach, it doesn't address the issue. Its like having a leaky boat and instead of fixing it, buying a more powerful bilge pump. And when asked why, say it's too much bother fixing the hole. And since this particular hole seems to be getting bigger, this crack can only carry on so far. When will anyone get off their hole and do something? When the cheapest premium has gone past a grand?

There is a huge amount of industry uncertainty at the moment from the insurers perspective.

The pending appeal on the ridiculous Setanta ruling being one and the Vnuk case from 2014 being another.

Both of those could have massive implications for insurers.

All they know for certain is that they HAVE to comply with Solvency II and the only way that can be done is by increasing premiums.

If the two cases go against the industry then expect more substantial increases than we have already seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bluezulu49

M 66 & F 62 with own car and insurance.

No points for either of us with full licences from 1986 and 1977 respectively and 7 and 9 years claim free so full no claims bonus for both.

Peugeot 406 HDI 2.0 2004

Comprehensive with full ncb cover

I got 10 quotes as follows:-

• Aviva 495.47
    • FBD 538.69
    • 123.ie 554.91
    • Allianz 567.20
    • AA Insurance 573.36
    • One Direct 630.45
    • Liberty 662.23
    • AXA 820.55
    • AIG 871.17
    • Supervalu 880.62

Cover last year was with Allianz and cost €380. They reduced their quote to €520 when I rang them but in the end I went with Aviva who would not budge on the car insurance cost but reduced my house insurance by C €30 as a result of taking their motor insurance. Three cars in the family now insured with Aviva.

It seems to me that the determining factor in the premium increase is the age of the vehicle as we are both retired so no commuting at rush hour and small mileage being driven ( 6000 miles per year now).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Its not the certain well known minority that are to blame, yes, they are part of the problem but only a small part.

In my personal experience in the industry, its a very high percentage. One current example i,s a driver of a 7 seater Ford Galaxy had to swerve to avoid a' fox' that ran across the road and funnily enough the driver escaped with no injuries but the 6 passengers all have submitted injury claims, 4 of those claims are of minors aged 2 to 8 and the symptoms include sleepless nights and bed wetting. This will end up being a 80,000 payout for a well known insurer and there was hardly any physical damage if any done to the vehicle.

Doctors, solicitors etc should be struck off and fined for taking part in fraudulent claims and the perpetrators in the first place should also be heavily fined and or charged for fraud. Until something like this is done, there is no deterrent to fraudulent claims and therefore we will all continue to be screwed with higher premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

bluezulu49 wrote: »

No points for either of us with full licences from 1986 and 1977 respectively and 7 and 9 years claim free so full no claims bonus for both.

Peugeot 406 HDI 2.0 2004

• Aviva 495.47
    • FBD 538.69
    • 123.ie 554.91
    • Allianz 567.20
    • AA Insurance 573.36
    • One Direct 630.45
    • Liberty 662.23
    • AXA 820.55
    • AIG 871.17
    • Supervalu 880.62

Cover last year was with Allianz and cost €380. They reduced their quote to €520 when I rang them but in the end I went with Aviva who would not budge on the car insurance cost but reduced my house insurance by C €30 as a result of taking their motor insurance. Three cars in the family now insured with Aviva.

It seems to me that the determining factor in the premium increase is the age of the vehicle as we are both retired so no commuting at rush hour and small mileage being driven ( 6000 miles per year now).

Be sure to clarify the penalty point discount allowed at inception (should be on calculation page)

If either driver obtains 3 penalty points for example, and you update Aviva under good honest faith - have you wallet near by as you'll be paying that 'discount' back.

ie.. €750 minis 33%(€250) = €500

Thus €250 Charge if points are obtained and declared to Aviva.!!!

Not declaring points could result in €2500 excess in event of claim !!

Just because it's cheap to buy doesn't mean it's the best.
    Simple things like Glass breakage,fire , theft , car breakdown & 3 penalty points shouldn't result in Insirance companies putting their hands in your wallet for more .

CoDy1 wrote: »
    In my personal experience in the industry, its a very high percentage. One current example i,s a driver of a 7 seater Ford Galaxy had to swerve to avoid a' fox' that ran across the road and funnily enough the driver escaped with no injuries but the 6 passengers all have submitted injury claims, 4 of those claims are of minors aged 2 to 8 and the symptoms include sleepless nights and bed wetting. This will end up being a 80,000 payout for a well known insurer and there was hardly any physical damage if any done to the vehicle.

Doctors, solicitors etc should be struck off and fined for taking part in fraudulent claims and the perpetrators in the first place should also be heavily fined and or charged for fraud. Until something like this is done, there is no deterrent to fraudulent claims and therefore we will all continue to be screwed with higher premiums.

With the number of claims out there the ones from well publicised minorities are relatively small.

Alot of people are comfortable with pointing the finger at these groups rather than turning the spotlight on their friends and neighbours.

The fact is that it is exaggerated claims are what's crippling the industry and it's Not just the societal minorities that are making exaggerated claims, if it were that simple then it would be easy to counteract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Every class, creed and colour is involved in insurance fraud and exaggerated claims. The usual minorities are as well represented as Mr & Mrs Double-Barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

The quotes I've been getting are a joke.
    Got my renewal from AA 990 euro paid 570 last year.

Myself and wife on the policy , only 1 car in the family.
    M 32, Full Irish 10+ years,full NCD 9+ years, windscreen claim last year covered by policy 249 euro, doesn't affect NCD but I think it plays a part when you are try to get the best price you can.

Wife insured as named driver for the last 5 years , Full Irish 10+ years.

Car 2008, Vauxhall Vectra, 1910, diesel - Value around 4000 - 4500 euro.
    Mileage - 5,000 since change of jobs.

Quotes from other companies

Chill.ie
    KennCo Unique € 870.00
    AXA DriveFirst Basic € 904.77
    AXA MotorFirst Standard € 919.52
    AXA MotorFirst Plus € 959.42
    KennCo Choice € 959.75

Axa - €989.28
    The SuperValu Insurance Team
    Deluxe €894.31

XLNTdriver(Download of App on to Android or iOS device required)
    €795.98

Liberty - €1119.63

FBD - € 733.81 ( need to add a few extras to get step back, and open drive etc, so it would bring this up to 800 as a min)

Aviva - €1095.68

All of the above are for fully comp , except for chill as the way its display it seemed to have included both 3rd party F&T and Fully comp.
    Some policys don't include step back as standard, some don't include windscreen cover as standard, breakdown assist as standard etc.

Tried AA online myself today €673 - fully comp, this doesn't include breakdown as you need the AA membership for that cover but does cover you to drive other cars fully comp. AA membership is around 7 euro pm I think.

Some sites would come back and tell me they are unable to quote right now please call xxxxxxx , very frustrating as having entered the information to be met with this message just wastes my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

bluezulu49 wrote: »

Peugeot 406 HDI 2.0 2004

• Aviva 495.47
    • FBD 538.69
    • 123.ie 554.91
    • Allianz 567.20
    • AA Insurance 573.36
    • One Direct 630.45
    • Liberty 662.23
    • AXA 820.55
    • AIG 871.17
    • Supervalu 880.62

I would'nt be insuring a 12 yr old car comprehensive. Dose'nt make any kind of financial sense imo. What's it worth? €2- €3.5k?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Usually get the AA to match or come close to any quotes we have. This year they jumped the insurance up by 75%, with nothing changed since last year. When we rang up, and looked around, it came down slightly so it had only jumped 60%.

Policy is about to start tomorrow and I checked Allianz this morning (who I had missed first time around) who are quoting me the same as the AA last year, low and behold my insurance is through Allianz via the AA.

Still have my 14 day cooling off period, just shocked at the difference.

Car: Rav 4 (Jap import)
    Cover: Fully comp + all the extras
    Cost: AA - 640, Allianz - 401, all other companies were between 600 an 1000

Allianz it is

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

glic83 wrote: »
    Some sites would come back and tell me they are unable to quote right now please call xxxxxxx , very frustrating as having entered the information to be met with this message just wastes my time.

Found this with two insurers, and yes, it's a bit annoying. Gave both a ring. One had my car down as stolen on their database (news to me, I've owned it for nine years). They did recheck it, and all was well. Got a decent quote from them as well.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

damn, i think i'll stay with axa. i will pay 1035 for comprehensive, while others are quoting me 1099+ for 3rd party...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I would'nt be insuring a 12 yr old car comprehensive. Dose'nt make any kind of financial sense imo. What's it worth? €2- €3.5k?

It really depends on what is included / excluded from both policy rather than just looking at what you could claim for if the worst happened. Price wise mine would have been 807.61 third party, fire theft vs 860.08 fully comp. (2003 1.8 petrol mondeo)

The third party did not include, glass, NCB protection, driving of other cars or open drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

MuddyDog wrote: »

Car: 08 Nissan Tiida 1.5 DCI

NCD: 1 Years in my own name. Plus additional 3 years as named driver on another policy.

Licence: 1 year full license. No claims ever and no points ever.

Cover: Comprehensive

Best Quote: 1108 - Chill.ie

Aviva woudn't quote me. Cornmarket and AXA were around 1170. Liberty with 10% discount as the missus is with them was 1200. FBD was 1210. 123.ie was 1700. AIG was 1260. Allianz was 1220. BlueInsurance was 1600. AA was 1300. 25Plus was 1550. Zurich was 1400.

Update: Got a quote of 684 now from KennCo. Obviously taking that as I paid 850 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Masala

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Update: Got a quote of 684 now from KennCo. Obviously taking that.

Is that a Broker??? Can you give a link...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Masala wrote: »
    Is that a Broker??? Can you give a link...

Kennco.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I insured nearly every car I have had Comprehensive.
    Most include windscreen cover as well as some covering all glass.
    Break a windscreen with TPFT and you could be forking out very big money to fix some screens.
    Most would be at least 250+ thats a big lump to pay when the difference is small between TPFT and FC, as well as that they often cover chip repair.
    The difference is usually very small between the two covers for me at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Car: 152 Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo 1.2 TSI 110bhp

NCD: 5 years

Licence: 4 years

Best Quote: 720 renewal from AXA after ringing to get a better price (Includes fully comp driving of other cars + one named driver 5 years NCD and license)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

jus seen this earlier on,

all i can say is wow :eek::eek::eek:

MV77lzE.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

evosteo wrote: »

Seen that earlier too but I'd take it with a slight pinch of salt on how that figure came around.

In June I was a 19 year old student who had 1 year named driving experience and full licence a number of months. I got insured on a '03 Toyota Corolla 1.4 petrol for just over €2,000.

I then moved to a '06 Volkswagen Jetta 1.9tdi and I only had to pay €100 more, still 6 months left on my policy.

Yes, €2,000 is a crazy amount to pay for insurance and yes I am fearing June come renewal time but how that person got a quote of nearly €20,000 is beyond me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

evosteo wrote: »

MV77lzE.jpg?1

Ah, but they let you pay most of that monthly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

seems like de ja vu with the insurance industry.
    my first car was a 1999 Fiat Brava 1.2 petrol then valued at 2500.
    as was then case then as it is again now the car cost less than the insurance
    in 2005 I was aged 19 getting my first insurance policy on a car.
    cost then was 2100 TPFT and I only had a provisional.
    insurance industry is gonna screw us all long and hard in the next decade and beyond

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

123's online quotes are mostly fcuked in the head. Quoted me €1500, insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Car: 02 BMW 318Ci MSPort 143BHP

NCD: 6 years

Licence: 10 years

Best Quote: €571 renewal quote from 123.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I passed my driving test last week and called my insurance company (AA) letting them know I passed. Didn't expect a refund at all considering how expensive insurance seems to be. However, I got a €317 refund. So not bad! Was originally €1600. Ford Fiesta 1.25 ltr. 27 year old female.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Got my renewal last week.

27, NCB: 4 years. Rx8, Fully comp. 955 -25 plus.

Last year I paid 725 last year so to say I'm pissed is an understatment. Last time I paid this much was 3 years ago on a Toyota Starlet. Finding it a bit strange that my current insurer has been the cheapest quote so far, but I'm going to move as I found their customer support almost non existent paired with their vague "Driving other vehicles" section which I need to have included.
    Got a quote close enough to it from another site (cant think of it off hand) but was only about 80 more expensive and when it's that high it wouldnt make much of a difference. All the others were closer to 2000, a few over. I found more this year than last telling me they couldnt quote me.

Advertisement