Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

another one a friend of mine got :eek:
    12631287_1045642318815346_1014775865033444900_n.jpg?oh=960935a032b2155f4765fd4a72c417f4&oe=5740FAC5&__gda__=1463194788_165a7d50562f7dd4122f77f474fb2933

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Girlfriends renewal came in this month.

On our old Peugeot 407 1.6D TPF&T it was €520.

Upgraded to a new Peugeot 2008 1.6D.

First Ireland Renewal Quote was €775, for Fully Comp.

Rang Hencheys in Limerick, got it for €665, with open drive, 2 year step back, AA etc.

32 years old, Licence held 10 years +, Insured 10 year +. No accidents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Just got my renewal letter form Aviva yesterday...

Car: 10 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Diesel

NCD: 5+ Years

Licence: 10 Years, No Points

Cover: Comp, 600 Excess with Protected NCD

Last Year: €633 Aviva
    Renewal: €640 Aviva

I have tried a few quotes online but no-one comes near so looks like i will be staying put. Cant complain with just a €7 rise TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

This is currently doing the rounds on facebook

12622007_991335194237371_5691882793649296400_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/theantonsavageshow/?fref=nf

These are currently doing the rounds on facebook

12622007_991335194237371_5691882793649296400_o.jpg

12565438_569870749838800_5995874216395808971_n.jpg?oh=a12b41890d577f1b5e146a5ad7787584&oe=572C9804

https://www.facebook.com/theantonsavageshow/?fref=nf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well the hunt is really on now. Got a knockback from Aviva my current insurers without even a quote and am stuck it seems around the E700 mark. Car is '00 and I am well over 70.. will start hunting again tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tom petty

The renewal for my Transit van came in today
    From €315 last year to € 516 this year . 61% increase .
    Zurich , been with them 10 years never had a single claim ,not one .
    Awaiting the brokers response :mad:

Had FF at my door canvassing and asked what they would do about it ......Ah shure we're all being forced to pay more , says she.
    Well she knows now what she has to do to get my vote .
    I hope you all make it known to those door knockers what you think they should be doing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

tom petty wrote: »

Had FF at my door canvassing and asked what they would do about it ......Ah shure we're all being forced to pay more , says she.
    I hope you all make it known to those door knockers what you think they should be doing !

private or commercial insurance?
    Age bracket?
    Points?
    Year of van?
    Value of van?
    Others quotes received? (If any)

maybe if you quoted all of these others may be able to directly relate to your own case.my own insurance is up in 8 weeks time. no doubt it'll be fun :rolleyes:

All politicians are corrupt 2 faced liars with only self interest nothing more. FF/FG/LAB.

All the same shower of pr1cks.

Either way this is only the beginning,we're getting screwed now and screwed harder down the line. soon people will bite the hand off you for a quote of 1000 euro. this and the whole 15 year old rule some insurers have imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

After 40 years of claim free driving had a claim this year.........hit a badly parked car. Just step-back no no claims protection. Am assuming quote will be massive when it comes in. Is there any point in ringing around when have damaged ncb?

KC161 wrote: »
    private or commercial insurance?
    Age bracket?
    Points?
    Year of van?
    Value of van?
    Others quotes received? (If any)

maybe if you quoted all of these others may be able to directly relate to your own case.my own insurance is up in 8 weeks time. no doubt it'll be fun :rolleyes:

All politicians are corrupt 2 faced liars with only self interest nothing more. FF/FG/LAB.

All the same shower of pr1cks

Either way this is only the beginning,we're getting screwed now and screwed harder down the line. soon people will bite the hand off you for a quote of 1000 euro. this and the whole 15 year old rule some insurers have imposed.

You want my PRSI number too .
    Take it from me , you will be upset and no , it won't be fun :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

€315 on a commercial motor was a ridiculous price. That's the level of pricing that caused Setanta to go bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

You want my PRSI number too .
    Take it from me , you will be upset and no , it won't be fun :rolleyes:

You offering? :pac: I will be very upset no doubt,have been for each of the last 3 renewals sadly. :mad:

€315 on a commercial motor was a ridiculous price. That's the level of pricing that caused Setanta to go bust.

Expected , we know what trough you feed from .

But it really is a ridiculous price for commercial vehicle insurance.

You and anyone else in here bemoaning the price of insurance has not given a single solitary reason as to why you should be getting cheaper insurance other than "because I want it"

Setanta insurance went bust because they were charging less than €350 for commercial and private motor insurance.

That's left a €95,000,000 bad debt that our judicial system, in their infinite wisdom have decided that the MIBI must cover, its under appeal at the moment but im not expecting it to be overruled.

How is the MIBI funded?

By a levy on insurers and their customer.

Where do you think this €95,000,000 is going to come from?

You guessed it, the motorists.

But you expect to pay €315 every year for a policy, despite the fact there is a €95 million debt that has to be covered because a company went belly up by charging premiums of €315.

:confused:

Its the typical Irish mentality.

Its as bad as water charge protesters expecting something for nothing.

Insurance companies are businesses not charities. As businesses they have to look after their own interests firsts, then the interests of their customers. The interest of their customers is first and foremost ensuring that in the event of a claim their damages will be paid for in a timely manner and not have policy holders left high and dry like Setanta did.

The fact of the matter is that you and tens of thousands of other people have been under paying for insurance over the last number of years.

It is simply not sustainable.

I can see your response was written " on the run " so will allow you some lee way .

It looks very much like you have missed the point within the contributions from all the ordinary motorists on here.
    "We" , are not looking for "cheaper " unsustainable insurance cover , we are asking why our policy premiums have risen stratospherically for no reason offered ,given or proven other than high pay out costs , crooks buying 15 + year old cars , you've had it too cheap too long and we're losing money , Oh and yours , " because I want it " .
    The Irish aren't stupid ( I'm Scottish 'bye the way ) and know and feel when they are being Royaly Rodgered.
    If Setanta went out of business due to the reasons that you state then that is a reflection on their, and the industries , business platform and indicative of how you all operate as a whole .
    The policy I mentioned was not with the scurrilous, and even in your eyes , indecorous Setanta Insurance company it was and is with the seemingly competent giant called Zurich.
    Now I never beat Zurich with a big hockey stick into submission to attain the gently increasing premiums I have enjoyed for TEN years , they offered it to me after considering my application data . From your reasoning I can only conclude that you are prophesying Zurich's demise based on historical trending .........
    As for the € 95 million ? Yes , a levy has to be paid due to the excesses and odious business principles employed by one of your circle, but don't embarrass us by suggesting that that is the reason that all insurance companies have jumped on the straw hat and trumpet's bandwagon . Grasping greed ,absence of good business practices and a total aversion to actually addressing the core wrongs of the " money for nothing " payout scandel they cite, are more applicable methinks.
    Water charges ? I have a pre '08 car with a water charge still included within that annual road tax fee so best not go there my friend. I will willingly pay a fair price for something once .
    Re your peculiar paragraph on Insurance companies not being charities , I think you should read and rewrite it again because you make no sense .
    Your second last statement more or less sums up your industries response to the whole debate , a singularily short ,unqualified and undignified retort.
    As I said , I am under no illusion as to which side of the fence you stand and don't expect to change your Gordon Gekkoish mantra but until I see proof positive evidence that your industry is transparent ,honest and accurate in it's calculations in these mythical quotes I will remain your ever cynical customer .

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

Car: 152 Honda CR-V 1.6

NCD: Full

Licence: Full Irish 16 years, no points ever, no claims ever

Cover: Fully comprehensive, step back NCD, windscreen cover, €200 excess, motor rescue

Best quote: €465 Chill

Average quote: €650 (six other companies ranging from €840 - €479)

Worst Quote: €1,121 Axa

I can see your response was written " on the run " so will allow you some lee way .

It looks very much like you have missed the point within the contributions from all the ordinary motorists on here.
    "We" , are not looking for "cheaper " unsustainable insurance cover , we are asking why our policy premiums have risen stratospherically for no reason offered ,given or proven other than high pay out costs , crooks buying 15 + year old cars , you've had it too cheap too long and we're losing money , Oh and yours , " because I want it " .
    The Irish aren't stupid ( I'm Scottish 'bye the way ) and know and feel when they are being Royaly Rodgered.
    If Setanta went out of business due to the reasons that you state then that is a reflection on their, and the industries , business platform and indicative of how you all operate as a whole .
    The policy I mentioned was not with the scurrilous, and even in your eyes , indecorous Setanta Insurance company it was and is with the seemingly competent giant called Zurich.
    Now I never beat Zurich with a big hockey stick into submission to attain the gently increasing premiums I have enjoyed for TEN years , they offered it to me after considering my application data . From your reasoning I can only conclude that you are prophesying Zurich's demise based on historical trending .........
    As for the € 95 million ? Yes , a levy has to be paid due to the excesses and odious business principles employed by one of your circle, but don't embarrass us by suggesting that that is the reason that all insurance companies have jumped on the straw hat and trumpet's bandwagon . Grasping greed ,absence of good business practices and a total aversion to actually addressing the core wrongs of the " money for nothing " payout scandel they cite, are more applicable methinks.
    Water charges ? I have a pre '08 car with a water charge still included within that annual road tax fee so best not go there my friend. I will willingly pay a fair price for something once .
    Re your peculiar paragraph on Insurance companies not being charities , I think you should read and rewrite it again because you make no sense .
    Your second last statement more or less sums up your industries response to the whole debate , a singularily short ,unqualified and undignified retort.
    As I said , I am under no illusion as to which side of the fence you stand and don't expect to change your Gordon Gekkoish mantra but until I see proof positive evidence that your industry is transparent ,honest and accurate in it's calculations in these mythical quotes I will remain your ever cynical customer .

The paragraph re not being charities does make sense, if you re-read it.

I said their obligation is to themselves first then their customers. The first and foremost obligation to their customers is to ensure they, they insurers, remain viable.

The onus is not on the insurance companies to tackle law and legislation, they are bound by the courts and unless fraud is clear and conclusive they will end up having to pay out.

I've said it a number of times here, it people aren't happy with their premiums then there are avenues to appeal, use them.

The likes or Zurich are taking measures to ensure they dont end up like Setanta.

No company is too big to fail, just look at the €1,300,000,000 hole left by Quinn Direct, we are still paying for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Female - 25 y old - 2 years driving experience in ireland - 1 year no claims - 3 penalty points - i drive a 2001 Ford Ka 1.3 Petrol

I've been insured with Axa through a broker for the past two years.
    The first year I paid 930 for the year and last year I paid 850 which is reasonable.

I got a letter from broker the other day with quote for this year being 1399 euro

ARE THEY WELL IN THE HEAD?

What's the deal with this price surge??

Anyone any experience with supervalu car insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

After 40 years of claim free driving had a claim this year.........hit a badly parked car. Just step-back no no claims protection. Am assuming quote will be massive when it comes in. Is there any point in ringing around when have damaged ncb?

It might not make much difference....
    I had a single vehicle accident in Feb 2 years ago and my renewal was in April. I also had gotten penalty points within the year so I advised the insurance company of this when renewing.
    My renewal was only just a bit over €20 more expensive, but I think by April the claim wasn't closed so wasn't fully taken into account. Then in 2015 my renewal was only approx €70 more than the previous year so that's with the claim and the points on my license...
    That's with step-back protection. It might not be as high as you think.

Out of interest, I did a search in my emails to see my renewals over the past few years.....

2012 - €361.30
    2013 - €328.75
    2014 - €353.95
    2015 - €424.87

For my 2014 renewal that involves a change of car from a 2007 1.4 Focus to a 2006 1.6 BMW

Out of interest, I did a search in my emails to see my renewals over the past few years.....

2012 - €361.30
    2013 - €328.75
    2014 - €353.95
    2015 - €424.87

For my 2014 renewal that involves a change of car from a 2007 1.4 Focus to a 2006 1.6 BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭CFlat

Got my insurance quote the other day. I drive a very average, 2007 1.4 ltr family type car. I have a 55% NCB. Last years quote was 355 euro, this year 587 euro. That's an increase of 60%. I use FirstIreland Brokers and the underwriters last year were AIG. I asked them to drop from FC to TFT and they reduced it by 60 euro. I'm a 50 year old man.

What the hell is going on? Are there any better quotes out there or do we have to suck it up?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Last year I paid 338 to insure with AIG through a broker. This year AIG wanted 685, slightly more than double last year's premium. My broker offered me 564 with another company, and after ringing around a fair bit I got 429 with Chill (and also 393 direct with Allianz, although that had a higher excess and less NCD protection after a claim). The best my broker could do for me was 450, which is still a lot better than their original quote.

I understand where the problem has come from and why premiums are rising, but there isn't any other industry where you'd get away with doubling your prices from one year to the next. However the insurance companies have people over a barrel because it's a legal requirement. I think that if they want to increase their premiums they should be restricted to a maximum of say 25% in any year. Admittedly we have all benefited from low premiums over the past few years, but we'll all be paying for that for a lot more years to come, and I think it's unfair to expect people to swallow 100%, or even 50% hikes in a single year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Zaph wrote: »
    I understand where the problem has come from and why premiums are rising, but there isn't any other industry where you'd get away with doubling your prices from one year to the next. However the insurance companies have people over a barrel because it's a legal requirement. I think that if they want to increase their premiums they should be restricted to a maximum of say 25% in any year. Admittedly we have all benefited from low premiums over the past few years, but we'll all be paying for that for a lot more years to come, and I think it's unfair to expect people to swallow 100%, or even 50% hikes in a single year.
    Preaching to the choir here Zed. I had similar with the same company, the price went from 800 odd to 1600 odd and it went from comp to third party F&T. Unfortunately since I drive the insurance industry's equivalent of Satan's fire breathing demon car(late 90's Jap import, with an R in the name) nobody else would touch me, or would for utterly ridiculous quotes. Like in the many thousands.

Now bear in mind I'm 50 this year, no claims, full licence since the 80's, no points, ever and in the last few years I'm doing less than 2000 Kms per year. None of that mattered. I played around with different milages, NCB, age etc. No effect. That says all that needs to be said about their so called "risk assessments", AKA industry BS. And no way can anyone claim I've been paying low insurance so now have to suck up the increases(I've never paid less than 600 plus quid per year). It seems the future chance of classic insurance is highly unlikely too.

In the end I went back to my broker as they did really try hard and got me the best deal they could, but the insurance industry here? My true opinion is unprintable TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

More and more refusals to give even a quote,, takes forever to fill in the dratted forms, then the suspense..Kenns this time who are advised by 123... Looking now at somehow getting a cheap younger car.. mission impossible on my pension... what are we supposed to do? I need my car, and no claims, or convictions etc for 50 years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

99 Corolla, 1 year no claims bonus, full Irish licence. Spend 3 hours on the phone the other day. Current insurer quote went up a couple of hundreds to 2200. The others: refusal, 3000, refusal, refusal, 4000, refusal, refusal, refusal etc, then 700. What a relief.

A funny one; was trying to get a quote from FBD for a 2004 Nissan Almera, they say the car don't meet their criteria. What? Asked why, they say they can't say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

double post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭tanko

fando wrote: »
    99 Corolla, 1 year no claims bonus, full Irish licence. Spend 3 hours on the phone the other day. Current insurer quote went up a couple of hundreds to 2200. The others: refusal, 3000, refusal, refusal, 4000, refusal, refusal, refusal etc, then 700. What a relief.

A funny one; was trying to get a quote from FBD for a 2004 Nissan Almera, they say the car don't meet their criteria. What? Asked why, they say they can't say.

Can you say who offered to do it for €700?

Advertisement