Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

I read someones post on Boards who was unsure if his/her low quote from Bank of Ireland Insurance was a real deal. That's how I found out about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

Their underwriters are RSA, same as the few other insurance companies who straight out refused quote. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

fando wrote: »
    I read someones post on Boards who was unsure if his/her low quote from Bank of Ireland Insurance was a real deal. That's how I found out about them.

Wow, i just did a quote with them about 240 cheaper than lowest i can get but they don't seem to offer full ncb protection? It only says step back protection....

Edit: they do only fully comp and it's still 70 EUR cheaper still than lowest quote with tpft with ncb protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I think the ad on TV for women only insurance is very misleading as theres no mention of them having certain "criteria".They refused to quote me 2 weeks ago because I fell outside this criteria but when questioned she couldnt give any reason for this.
    Also last year I added a name to my policy and it cost me 120e to do it but when I asked for the name to be removed this year(to try and reduce my quote) I was told it would actually increase it.

Some transparency is needed within the insurance sector as there seems to be no clear guidelines for the drivers who are actually paying these large amounts of money,,,its all very "luck of the draw" when it comes to quoting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭CFlat

Firstly as I've discovered its definitely worth shopping around and going back to your current(if you have one) insurer and tell them what other quotes you got. They will negotiate with you before making a big deal out of it of course.Mine dropped the premium by nearly 90 euro.

I got a very good quote from Allianz and similar to Colser there, I wanted to add a sibling of mine because they have a commercial which is useful to me and if I take it they need to be able to drive my car, the premium they quoted me DROPPED by 40euro when I added them on.

There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to their methods of coming up with a figure. Anyway, got some good advice here so thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

fando wrote: »
    A funny one; was trying to get a quote from FBD for a 2004 Nissan Almera, they say the car don't meet their criteria. What? Asked why, they say they can't say.

I had a similar funny situation yesterday. Rang 123.ie for a quote on my 2001 Avensis and no joy. He said that even though they cover cars as old as 1999 my make and model/ year falls outside their acceptance criteria. He mentioned he could provide me a letter of refusal if I wished that I could refer onto the Insurance board as I recall but I said dont no need.

Went on donedeal quickly when I had him on the phone and gave him the number of a 2006 Avensis and he couldn't give me a quote as there was something specific to that car as in the car with that number plate that was preventing a quote being returned. Got the reg plate of a 2007 Avensis then and it was the same story as the 06eek.png

He said he couldn't tell me the specific reason. In fairness he didn't come across as the brightest spark either though. Asked him to send me on the letter of decline for my own car then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Car: 02 Volvo S40 1.8 (122 hp)

NCD: 0

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Third party only

Best quote: € 3192

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

The prices people are getting on this thread are ridiculous you then read this and it would really make you laugh :rolleyes:

http://www.axa.co.uk/newsroom/media-releases/2015/interim-results-2015-axa-uk-profits-rise-by-27-per-cent-amanda-blanc-appointed-ceo-of-axa-insurance/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Asmooh wrote: »

Car: 02 Volvo S40 1.8 (122 hp)

NCD: 0

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Third party only

Best quote: € 3192

must be the highest we have seen in this thread for that age group.

carzony wrote: »
    must be the highest we have seen in this thread for that age group.

Full license held for 10 years plus and zero ncd.... I'm guessing the poster may have being invlolved in a serious (expensive) accident in the not too distant past. I'm not out to insult you either if you weren't Asmooh, just a half educated guess on my behalf

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Yeah there's definitely more than meets the eye with Asmooh's quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Jesus. wrote: »
    Yeah there's definitely more than meets the eye with Asmooh's quote

I think he's dutch

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056886438/80/#post98558950

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The prices people are getting on this thread are ridiculous you then read this and it would really make you laugh :rolleyes:

http://www.axa.co.uk/newsroom/media-releases/2015/interim-results-2015-axa-uk-profits-rise-by-27-per-cent-amanda-blanc-appointed-ceo-of-axa-insurance/

Well, they do have a point:
    Nevertheless, the insurance industry, and its honest customers, continue to bear the unacceptable cost of those encouraged by claims management companies to ‘have a go’.

Fully agree.
    whiplash claims are once again on the rise, while texts and cold-calling from claims management companies remain an annoying feature of our daily lives, and it is clear that more must be done to eradicate fraudulent injury claims.

Same here
    The ABI’s recent report on the compensation culture highlighted that for every £1 in compensation paid to a claimant, the claimant’s lawyer receives £3 in legal fees. With over 70 per cent of such claims rejected, it is clear that the financial incentives on claimant lawyers to file high volumes of speculative claims must be constrained.

Ah now here we get to the nub of the issue. Bloodsucking leechesSolicitors have a win-win racket on their hands, they know they won't be challenged by their brothers and cousins in government (who probably get a cut) and they know that it doesn't matter that a claim is genuine, just fire 'em out there and watch the dosh roll in. So, insurance companies aren't the ones rolling in it and creaming it, it's injury lawyers.
    I wish the government would introduce legislation to eradicate that vermin, but I don't think so, somehow. They may do little bits and pieces here and there to nibble round the edges of the problem, but seriously, too many of the right people (in the government's ear) are creaming it and the situation will never improve.
    Challenge any politician who comes to your doorstep. They will all mumble excuses and bullsh*t, because they are all afraid to take on the legal sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Car: 2010 Skoda Superb Estate, 2.0, 170bhb

NCD: 8 Years (own name) no claims

Licence: Full, 10 years in March, no points

Cover: Fully comp, protected NCB, windscreen, breakdown, personal accident

Previous Insurer: One Direct (for the last 3+ years)

Renewal: €942

Best quote: Allianz €613 online. Got it down to €563 due to having a pet policy.

Worst quote: Aviva €1500 (never mind that they underwrite One Direct).

AA and BOI also gave decent (by comparison) quotes, the rest of them were all €800+ so I went with Allianz. They've given my partner the best quote too so far on potential second car.

Full license held for 10 years plus and zero ncd.... I'm guessing the poster may have being invlolved in a serious (expensive) accident in the not too distant past. I'm not out to insult you either if you weren't Asmooh, just a half educated guess on my behalf

Just (1 year ago) moved to Ireland and my Dutch ncb didn't count.. So I needed to start over

Just (1 year ago) moved to Ireland and my Dutch ncb didn't count.. So I needed to start over

Ah ok, presumably you have exchanged your Dutch license for an Irish one?

Still, either way that seems a very high quote all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

[/quote]

Just (1 year ago) moved to Ireland and my Dutch ncb didn't count.. So I needed to start over[/quote]

I was in the same situation last year - unfortunately the first year is BOHICA. My quotes were 2600 to 6000 until I found one that was willing to take a chance on me for less than 2000. This year with one year NCB I'm getting quotes around the 850 mark. Will pm you who I went with last year for you to give them a shout but the pm function seems to be down on the phone atm

Ah ok, presumably you have exchanged your Dutch license for an Irish one?

Still, either way that seems a very high quote all the same.

Yes I did, 6 Months ago

Yes I did, 6 Months ago

Ok. If you possibly have a partner who has Irish driving experience an alternative may be to get named on their policy for a few years to get you going....this may not always work out cheaper, depends on the provider and you should be the second driver of the car.

Other than this I would say the car is pretty "big" to start on. You may need to bite the bullet and change to something small such as Polo/ Yaris for a few years if you want to get a better quote.

Ok. If you possibly have a partner who has Irish driving experience an alternative may be to get named on their policy for a few years to get you going....this may not always work out cheaper, depends on the provider and you should be the second driver of the car.

Other than this I would say the car is pretty "big" to start on. You may need to bite the bullet and change to something small such as Polo/ Yaris for a few years if you want to get a better quote.

Consider I drive little and big turbo and non turbo cars before above de 250hp range this is a big step down for me and I could never drive something like a Polo or yaris.

The slowest I could consider was a Honda civic with 1.4 engine with 90pk... The only reason for that car is because I can swap the head of the engine and get a upgrade to 125.

The only reason I got this one is because I couldn't find a s40 t4 or something in that range so I got the 1.8 instead. It's not slow (122hp/170nm) but it's far from being fast (which I'm used to) my Volvo 440 had more power and I insured that one when I just got my drivers license 10 years ago for a bit more than 50 euro / month.

• Advertisement

Other than this I would say the car is pretty "big" to start on.

It is quite ludicrous though, that for whatever reason, a little S40 with a 1.8L engine is too big to get quoted on. Something seriously needs to change regarding motor insurance in Ireland and the root of it is, as Doc says, the corrupt legal system.

It is quite ludicrous though, that for whatever reason, a little S40 with a 1.8L engine is too big to get quoted on. Something seriously needs to change regarding motor insurance in Ireland and the root of it is, as Doc says, the corrupt legal system.

I certainly wouldn't consider a 1.8 litre Volvo S40 to be a large engined car. What I do know is that when I started driving for the first time there was a major difference in insurance premiums between the likes of the Polo/ yaris and a Volvo S40. Maybe fair to say thats a bit ironic when the Volvo would be the safer and most solid car on the road, but don't see the merits of getting too much into that debate here....debate for another thread no doubt.

While the doc makes some valid points I can't help but think they are more relevant to the UK than Rep of Ireland. I've never heard of cold calling or texts from claims management companies here or even that they exist here but thats not to say they do not happen either. If they do then I certainly think its not to the same extent as mainland UK. My brother moved to UK about 4 years ago and he was no longer there and got a UK phone until he starts getting texts...have you had an accident at work blah blah blah etc. Media and newspapers full of such advertisments over there too.

Of course thats not to say there aren't any problems with our leagl system and claims culture here that need to be addressed as there certainly are and we certainly aren't immune from greedy solicitors/ legal professionals riding the system to line their pockets.

Good points John. I suppose I was thinking about the fact that Ashmooh is an experienced driver with many years of no claims as opposed to a beginner. I guess that matters little though when you arrive in Ireland from another Country, even if they're in the EU :(

Speaking of being robbed for having a 'big engined' car.

Last year I bought a 1.9 Audi TDI and the price of my insurance went up to 1700.. I immediately got rid of the audi and bought a 1.4 petrol and the insurance flew down to as low as 800. The insurance companies hate anything over 1.6 from my experience..

Last year I bought a 1.9 Audi TDI and the price of my insurance went up to 1700.. I immediately got rid of the audi and bought a 1.4 petrol and the insurance flew down to as low as 800. The insurance companies hate anything over 1.6 from my experience..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

Car: 1999 VW Golf 1.6 101PS
    NCD: 3 Years
    Licence: Full, 3 years, 3 points
    Cover: TPFT
    Previous Insurer: Liberty
    Best quote: QuoteMe.ie - 1850 with AXA
    Worst quote: No quote in general, but Liberty did quote - 2000.00.

Good points John. I suppose I was thinking about the fact that Ashmooh is an experienced driver with many years of no claims as opposed to a beginner. I guess that matters little though when you arrive in Ireland from another Country, even if they're in the EU :(

They told me that for the first year I cannot insure anything over 125hp at all. This one has 122 so it's almost the maximum.

Something that is even more stupid is that the s40 1.8i costs 235/month with 125hp while the normal 1.8 costs 266/month (both about the same years)

My friend back in the Netherlands is laughing at me for me quote.. That's 3 times the price he pays for his Corvette C6 Z06...

Speaking of being robbed for having a 'big engined' car. Last year I bought a 1.9 Audi TDI and the price of my insurance went up to 1700.. I immediately got rid of the audi and bought a 1.4 petrol and the insurance flew down to as low as 800. The insurance companies hate anything over 1.6 from my experience..

That's incredible! 1.9l a big engine lol! Ashmooh's mate has a 6 liter who's paying a 3rd of what he is!

Welcome to the Rip off Republic

That's incredible! 1.9l a big engine lol! Ashmooh's mate has a 5 liter who's paying a 3rd of what he is!

Welcome to the Rip off Republic

6.2 even ;)
    but my old 3.2 boxster I paid around 58 euros/month for it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Just to let you know how serious Insurers are about getting older cars off their books. I've just transferred my 1999 Audi A4, 1.9TDi to a 161WX Hyundai i30, €20,000. The result is that I'm getting back 20% of what I paid last May with only 4 months to go on the policy

Advertisement