Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

Just to let you know how serious Insurers are about getting older cars off their books. I've just transferred my 1999 Audi A4, 1.9TDi to a 161WX Hyundai i30, €20,000. The result is that I'm getting back 20% of what I paid last May with only 4 months to go on the policy

That is a hefty drop (and a nice suprise:) ) . Along with the drop in vehicle age, could it be a combination of dropping from 1.9 to 1.6/1.4, coupled with change to a make that might attract less of a loading?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Car: 151 Skoda Octavia Estate, 2.0l diesel, 150BHP
    NCD: 7 Years
    Licence: Full, 10+ years, 0 points
    Cover: Fully Comp, No Claims Protection
    Previous Insurer: 25+ (AIG)
    Best quote: 25+ €470
    Worst quote: Asgard (via Chill) €1150, AXA €850

At €470, still a 30% increase on last year.
    First time I have been unable to get a decent reduction on my renewal quote.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Car: 08 Volvo S40 1.8F
    NCB: 2 Years
    Licence: Full, 2 years, no points
    Cover: Fully Comp
    Previous Insurer: AXA
    Best quote: AXA €950
    Worst quote: Chill, 1600 or something like that

First year was like 1100 with Liberty, last year was around €950 with AXA, and this year the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Car: 08 Volvo S40 1.8F
    NCB: 2 Years
    Licence: Full, 2 years, no points
    Previous Insurer: AXA
    Best quote: AXA €950
    Worst quote: Chill, 1600 or something like that

First year was like 1100 with Liberty, last year was around €950 with AXA, and this year the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sbEdge

Car: 07 Toyota Avensis 2.0l D4D
    NCB: 10 Years
    Licence: Full, 9 years, no points
    Previous Insurer: Liberty - €430
    Best quote: Liberty - €600
    Worst quote: Axa - €1050

I paid Axa €1000 in my second year of driving, so 8 claim free years later they want the same amount pretty much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Car: 12 Mazda 6 2.2L
    NCB: Maximum
    Licence: Full, 10+ years, no points
    Previous Insurer: Kenco, through Britton Insurance
    Best quote: Footprint through Britton Insurance €560 increased excess to €350 no claims fully protected
    Worst quote: Top Quote about €1000

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Car: 03 laguna
    License: Full, decades, 0 points and obtained in a country with proper driver education.
    Cover: TPFT
    Previous: €380 fully comp with Zurich (via Chill)
    Best now: €465 with Aviva (TPFT)
    Worst: Zurich quoted 1040, the rascals.

Waiting on a quote from BOI still
    Chill, 123.ie, 25plus, AIG, Axa, Liberty all thought i wanted to buy the place instad of only insuring a car.

Edit:

And the winner is....... BOI €334

Now, it i hadnt taken the 465 deal with Aviva already, life would have been so much easier.
    I can cancel that one and take BOI but i have to jump through hoops.
    Which i will.
    Will teach me a lesson about being impatient since i called this morning with BOI for a quote, hadnt heard anything back at 3pm and called them again. After 10 minutes in the queue i hung up and went for Aviva....
    10 minutes after that, BOI called with this quote.
    Why does this insurance thing have to be so annoyingly complicated here. 6th insurer in 7 years is ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

While the doc makes some valid points I can't help but think they are more relevant to the UK than Rep of Ireland. I've never heard of cold calling or texts from claims management companies here or even that they exist here but thats not to say they do not happen either. If they do then I certainly think its not to the same extent as mainland UK. My brother moved to UK about 4 years ago and he was no longer there and got a UK phone until he starts getting texts...have you had an accident at work blah blah blah etc. Media and newspapers full of such advertisments over there too.

John are the English being as screwed as much as we are?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So I posted earlier in the thread about a jump of nearly 75%, slight drop after negotiating and finally Allianz jumping in and bringing it down to the same as last year.

Unfortunately my OH done nothing with this and our policy turned up in the door from the AA. I was annoyed but what was done was done.

I rang AA, they had 2 major errors in our policy, calling my OH a diabetic whose condition meant she was an increased risk.

She is not a type 1 Diabetic.

I got them to correct it, price droppped to 335, 70 euro less than last year, less than half of their original quote.

Fully Comp
    Female, mid 30s
    Named driver, Male, mid 30s
    No claims over 18years of driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

CramCycle wrote: »
    So I posted earlier in the thread about a jump of nearly 75%, slight drop after negotiating and finally Allianz jumping in and bringing it down to the same as last year.

Unfortunately my OH done nothing with this and our policy turned up in the door from the AA. I was annoyed but what was done was done.

I rang AA, they had 2 major errors in our policy, calling my OH a diabetic whose condition meant she was an increased risk.

I got them to correct it, price droppped to 335, 70 euro less than last year, less than half of their original quote.

Fully Comp
    Female, mid 30s

If she was incorrectly entered as a diabetic this year then she must have been the same last year, meaning you would probably have paid more last year than you should have.

I'd be ringing them to query this, if you were charged more due to a processing mistake on their end then you are entitled to the overpayment to be refunded.

• Advertisement

Fully Comp
    Female, mid 30s

If she was incorrectly entered as a diabetic this year then she must have been the same last year, meaning you would probably have paid more last year than you should have.

I'd be ringing them to query this, if you were charged more due to a processing mistake on their end then you are entitled to the overpayment to be refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Car: 14 Skoda Superb 1.6L
    NCB Maximum
    Licence: Full, 20+ years, no points
    Previous Insurer: Liberty
    Best quote: Blue Insurance two years cover for € 610 - € 305 per annum - nearest quote was € 400

Engine size seems to be the predominant rating factor at the moment.

My dads renewal is due shortly and I've been working on it for him.

He paid €385 last year for fully comp, full NCB protection and my mother as a named driver. That was with Aviva direct.

Best price thus far is with Aviva, the renewal is €504.

I've tried all the big players and none of them are less than €600, some a lot more.

He is driving a 2013 2l Avensis. No points or claims etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

He paid €385 last year for fully comp, full NCB protection and my mother as a named driver. That was with Aviva direct.

I've tried all the big players and none of them are less than €600, some a lot more.

My own renewal is due in 8 weeks. You refer to engine size. My facts will be as follows at the renewal.

Male

30 years old

Car is Ford Focus 1.6 diesel value €8000(last renewal 1.4 petrol,changed soon after to 1.8 petrol.)

Renewal then was €600 comp. Full NCB protection. Breakdown cover and windscreen also.

Had 4 breakdown callouts between the 2 petrol cars. hence i went to a modern diesel.

Licence for all categories except bike. (Car since 2007)

No claims of 7 years this year.

What would i be facing Business Cat???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭baldshin

baldshin wrote: »
    Just got my renewal letter from 25plus. Paid €550 last year fully comp. 29 years old, 7 years license and no claims, no penalty points. Car is a 00 1.6 Audi A3. I had feared the premium would rise given the age of the car. This years quote.....€3200!!!

Couldn't get any communication out of 25plus, ended up going through Britton for €573, so not too bad, though that's 3rd party only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

I have a 12 2l avensis aged 44 full licence no points/claims and all the quotes have been over 500 up to 900 odd after paying 338 last year fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Car: 15 Ford Focus 1.6 Diesel
    NCB: maximum
    Licence: Full, 16 years, no points
    Previous Insurer: AIG - €566
    Best quote: Blue Insurance 505 for one year/910 for two years
    Worst quote: LIberty - €1150 :eek:

KC161 wrote: »
    My own renewal is due in 8 weeks. You refer to engine size. My facts will be as follows at the renewal.

Male

30 years old

Car is Ford Focus 1.6 diesel value €8000(last renewal 1.4 petrol,changed soon after to 1.8 petrol.)

Renewal then was €600 comp. Full NCB protection. Breakdown cover and windscreen also.

Had 4 breakdown callouts between the 2 petrol cars. hence i went to a modern diesel.

Licence for all categories except bike. (Car since 2007)

No claims of 7 years this year.

What would i be facing Business Cat???

****pure speculation****

I'd anticipate you will likely get a renewal quote somewhere in the region of €750 to €800 from your current insurer however with some shopping around you should hopefully get in and around what you paid last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wasn't on the policy last year.
    Interestingly they have removed my cover for open driving which they claim was never on the policy.
    My OH went mental and said they confirmed it over the phone and to pull up their records of the phone calls. I had on occasion been moving my mother in laws car.
    It is on the policy but they now claim that no one offers this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭9935452

Wasn't on the policy last year.
    Interestingly they have removed my cover for open driving which they claim was never on the policy.
    My OH went mental and said they confirmed it over the phone and to pull up their records of the phone calls. I had on occasion been moving my mother in laws car.
    It is on the policy but they now claim that no one offers this

Thats driving of other cars extension isnt it.
    Open drive is when others areinsured to drive your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Ok so went and got a few more quotes

Female, 30's, 2015 Volvo V40 2l diesel, full licence 10+, 6+ncbs, no penalty points. Fully comp

AA through Axa: €650
    Allianz: €950
    Liberty:€920
    Aib: €980
    123.ie: €910
    Blue: €750 for 1 year or €1230 for 2
    Itsforwomen.ie: €760
    Post insurance: €680

Looks like I'll be going with my renewal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jayc12

Car: VW golf 1.6 tdi
    NCD: maximum
    Licence: 10 years no points
    Cover: Fully comp with no claims protection and open driving
    Previous insurer: Aviva paid €511 last year
    Best quote: €504 Aviva
    Quote range from €760 to €940

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Jesus. wrote: »
    John are the English being as screwed as much as we are?

I'm not full sure as am no absolute expert on it Jesus. What I do know is that the English are not immune from the fraudulent claims culture either that exists here. The 'flash for cash' phenomenon for example was rife over there up until recently if not still. Talk about a corrupt legal system and vulture solicitors and law firms here, but they are very much abundant in the UK and a robust industry would seem to be built around it there -win your case but take a large percentage of the claim in fees etc. (much of it genuine and honest too of course).

The size of the payments compared to here I am not sure but I do know that motor insurance is by no means cheap in the UK....perhaps even more expensive there than Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

How this 2 year insurance with blue insurance works? They only work if you pay all in? Or they still do monthly payments?
    Do they penalise you if you change car in that two years frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭tanko

How this 2 year insurance with blue insurance works? They only work if you pay all in? Or they still do monthly payments?
    Do they penalise you if you change car in that two years frame?

The only thing I know about them is that they won't quote for a car 10 years old or older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

Graces7 wrote: »
    More and more refusals to give even a quote,, takes forever to fill in the dratted forms, then the suspense..Kenns this time who are advised by 123... Looking now at somehow getting a cheap younger car.. mission impossible on my pension... what are we supposed to do? I need my car, and no claims, or convictions etc for 50 years...

I thought you said on the other thread that you received 3 quotes. Shame. Insurance is mad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I dont think Diabetics get any loading for their condition, read below.

"Motor insurance
    This is the area where the greatest progress has been made. A person with diabetes seeking to insure their car can now do so knowing that all members of the Insurance Federation have agreed that they will not load their premiums for diabetes.
    For decades, many people with diabetes withheld details of their condition from their insurer knowing that they would either be refused cover or loaded. We are now in a more enlightened time and everyone should disclose details to their insurer. This also holds true for the Licensing Authority. Confirmation from their GP that they are fit to drive will keep everyone happy."

from Diabetes Ireland: https://www.diabetes.ie/living-with-diabetes/living-type-1/frequently-asked-questions-living-diabetes/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

My understanding is that if you disclose your condition to the licencing authority and they accept any medical assurances they may request, then insurers must not apply any loading to their premium, if said licence is issued. You must tell them about it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Changed company on monday to quote devil. €1850 TPFT on a 2002 passat 130bhp. 2 Y NCB 19yo 2 years full licence. Renewal off my own company was 2700 TP only. Still up front last year even with an adition years NCB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Changed company on monday to quote devil. €1850 TPFT on a 2002 passat 130bhp. 2 Y NCB 19yo 2 years full licence. Renewal off my own company was 2700 TP only. Still up front last year even with an aditional years NCB

Advertisement