Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

9935452 wrote: »
    Thats driving of other cars extension isnt it.
    Open drive is when others areinsured to drive your car.

You are right, I just couldn't remember the phrasing. It was clearly stated that I could drive any car that was already insured and under 2L, and confirmed verbally over the phone.

Considering how confused they all are, I might ring up and ask after they repost the policy to see can someone else add it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

CramCycle wrote: »
    It was clearly stated that I could drive any car that was already insured and under 2L, and confirmed verbally over the phone.

Who was this with please, always interested to see a policy document that specifies this. (AA I know but who was underwriting it)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Jesus. wrote: »
    John are the English being as screwed as much as we are?

I don't know what renewals will be like for this year but in general I would say no. I get screwed because I can't tick the "all my life" box beside the length of residence in the UK question. I paid £411, fully comp (cheaper that tpft!), 07 Mazda 3, 8 ncb, still on Irish licence, herself as named driver. That's only after a discount for having home insurance with them too - Aviva.

I've got native friends with very similar circumstances who easily get quotes of 2-300 every year.

Apparently the big insurance companies are frothing at the mouth at the chance of grabbing a great big chunk of the pie in Iran now that sanctions have been lifted. Seeing as companies here are allegedly pricing new business so they can extract themselves from the market, we can only assume that our motor insurance is a more dangerous, less profitable area than property/motor insurance in the middle east.

oooooooh 2L diesel sir? 01 D? Deadly dangerous, we'd have to charge you 3k at least to insure that.
    Middle East, a state with enemies such as Israel AND Saudi? Yum yum I can't see the risk here!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Who was this with please, always interested to see a policy document that specifies this. (AA I know but who was underwriting it)

It was AIG, its quite possible that it was an error on their part as I can't see it on their site anywhere.

They had basically given me (named driver) the same cover as my OH (policy holder), could have been a mistake but it was confirmed over the phone and in the details as well.

It's a bit annoying but I might put the money saved to seeing what adding me to my mother in laws insurance is.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    It was AIG, its quite possible that it was an error on their part as I can't see it on their site anywhere.
    Yeah the oul Dreams/Reality conflict is often encountered with the folks in the call centre.
    Fr.-TED-FR-DOugal-Maguire-Dreams-Vs-Reality-rabbits.jpg

I live in hope of finding the elusive papyrus scroll that originally decreed "ye olde thirde party extension shalt only be valide if and only the carriage is alreadty insured for circumstances of no relevance to thine use"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

Another massive payout for 'whiplash' today. I'm not going to accuse anyone of faking anything, but €16K is ridiculous.

One of the comments to that article also has an interesting story:
    Sarrah29
    Once I was reversing into a parking space, as I was straightening the car up I tipped the car parked in front. I got out and checked and saw that there was no damage to either car, not a scratch not a dent nothing. Then I realised there was a girl sitting in the parked car on her phone. I spoke to her and said sorry, asked her if she wanted to check the her car. I’m not sure if she even realised I had tipped her, she was friendly and bubbly and brushed it off, she said she would take my reg just in case. No problems, no complaints we said our goodbyes. A few weeks later I got a call from my insurance company this girl had gone to the hospital complaining of whiplash and had been off work ever since. A guy came out to check both cars but other than that what can they really do? She got paid €13,000 and my insurance went up by over €500. Easy money for her but I defiantly believe in karma and she’ll have no luck for it. I once had a young girl crash into the back of my car at traffic lights not for one second did I think to make an injury claim I just wanted my car fixed.

Remember to highlight the issue of rising motor insurance costs to any candidates who arrive on your doorstep.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I always knew solicitor fees were quite high but in the last 2 days I saw two claims that shocked me.

One was a €58,500 claim.

Of that, €18,500 was for legal fees.

The other one was for €2,850,000

€850,000 of that was legal fees.

:eek:

I think it's pretty clear who is feeding many of the claimants the information in terms of what to say, to exaggerate their injuries and to downright lie about their ailments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Doesnt look like anything will change either...

carzony wrote: »
    Doesnt look like anything will change either...

Why would it.

The upper echelons of the law society are buddies with the powers that be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Question.

My insurance is due for renewal on the 1st of March. I got comprehensive cover last year for quite a reasonable premium in my now 15 year old car with Cover in a Click.

I do understand that your current insurer must provide you with a quote for your car if its over the age of what they are covering as the the new rules regarding age that a lot of providers are bringing into being. However are they obliged to provide you with a quote on any car that may be over older than the new rule they have brought in or is it just the exact same car only that one insured with them the previous year?

* I acknowledge that just because I got cover with them for reasonable money last year that need not be the case this year.

Haven't got my renewal quote from them yet but the general theme is that most quotes I'm getting so far this year is double last year, sometimes a hell of a lot more than double....no claims, and lost 2 penalty points of my license in the meantime and the only other change in circumstances is that I have got an additional year ncdrolleyes.png

However are they obliged to provide you with a quote on any car that may be over older than the new rule they have brought in or is it just the exact same car only that one insured with them the previous year?

If you do it at renewal they'll probably tell you it's a 'new' policy and refuse you. If you renew, and then get a 'new' car, they should transfer it, but will probably charge you for it.

That comes with a health warning though as different companies are coming up with all sorts of illogical rules these days.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    If you do it at renewal they'll probably tell you it's a 'new' policy and refuse you. If you renew, and then get a 'new' car, they should transfer it, but will probably charge you for it.

That comes with a health warning though as different companies are coming up with all sorts of illogical rules these days.

That makes sense...well your reply does, not the whole scenario if you know what I mean. Any rule book I thought may have existed with motor insurance would seem to have being thrown out the window.. now it certainly seems to be a case of make it up as they go along.

now it certainly seems to be a case of make it up as they go along.

That's for sure, I was unaware of any of this age related stuff until around this time last year when I let my policy lapse on a 97 because I didn't need it for a month, FBD had sent me out a resonable renewal, but when I went to to re-insure it after letting it lapse, they wouldn't insure it due to age. That's after being with them for 4 years and having a max NCB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Your current insurer is obliged to quote you on any road legal vehicle you own and have a valid licence to drive

Buffman wrote: »
    That's for sure, I was unaware of any of this age related stuff until around this time last year when I let my policy lapse on a 97 because I didn't need it for a month, FBD had sent me out a resonable renewal, but when I went to to re-insure it after letting it lapse, they wouldn't insure it due to age. That's after being with them for 4 years and having a max NCB.

No doubt the scenario is a bit different there Buffman as you would have effectively being a new customer again. The likes of FBD wont hold much sympathy for the fact that up to a month ago you were a customer of theirs for 4 years.

I just heard of this new rule that a lot of insurers were enforcing around the Summer of last year from the Motoring forum here. Didn't have any issue with getting quotes for my then 14 year old car this time last year and I did shop around a considerable few at the time.

Your current insurer is obliged to quote you on any road legal vehicle you own and have a valid licence to drive

Thanks for clarification To Elland Back. Awaiting my renewal quote at the momet and will have to change my car for renewal. Of course thats not to say they wont give you a please f off quote either. Awaiting patiently...

I should really add that insurers often refuse to quote an existing policyholder, when they buy a car not to their liking. However, when you press them and stand your ground, they will eventually comply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm not going to be able to afford to get insurance when my current year elapses, I was counting on the fact that the WELL over 2 grand I pay would come down substantially after some extra NCB, but that's obviously not the case. Was planning on getting a motorbike just for weekends etc but it'll probably be cheaper to go full time on that and keep the car off the road for a year until I can afford 2 grand insurance again.

Just to throw a spanner into the works for people trying to figure out what the magic combination is for cheap insurance look at my dad:

57 or something years old
    driving forever, full license probably at the very least 30 years
    over 10 year old car
    4.4 litre V8 2 door, just over 300 hp
    550 euro insurance fully comp

factors which could be lowering it, oddball occupation, lives very close to where he works, less than 10km away. House in a relatively quiet area, with gates and the cars aren't really viewable from the road.

Then there's my sister,
    24 or something
    full license less than a year
    02 or 03 car, 1 litre corsa
    0/1 years ncb
    450 euro insurance tpft

No idea how either of them did it. Me and my mother have similar ridiculous quotes to the rest of you on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Car: 152 Audi A3 1.6d (105bhp)

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, protected

Best quote: €346.51 - Aviva

Aviva rang me yesterday to offer me €17.36 discount if I renewed with them so I did, I paid €329.15, fully comp, protected etc.
    not too bad at all.
    The wife has a 04 Toyota Yaris and I'm not looking forward to that renewal when it's due in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davycha

Just got the below quote for my daughter , 20 years old full license for a year , 2 years NCB in her own name: no accidents or penalty points.
    03 Peugeot 307 1.4 diesel .
    this is the extreme end of the quotes , but from checking around the market is just gone crazy.

Car Insurance Quote from 123.ie
    Quote Ref: XXXX
    Thank You For Considering 123.ie
    You're now only a couple of clicks away from great value Car Insurance with 123.ie. To view important information and key facts relating to our Car Insurance click here.

Third Party Fire & Theft
    Annual Amount Payable
    €12,880.55
    or
    8 monthly instalments of only €1,259.00 plus deposit of €3,765.41.
    (Total: €13,837.39)
    RETRIEVE YOUR QUOTE

Benefits included in Policy
    Breakdown Assist

Driving Of Other Cars

Stepback No Claims Bonus Discount Protection

Excess €300

Fire & Theft Cover

Fire Brigade Charges up to €1500

Legal Liability

Discounts Included:
    No Claims Bonus
    €-3187.79

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

polan wrote: »
    Car: 1999 VW Golf 1.6 101PS
    NCD: 3 Years
    Licence: Full, 3 years, 3 points
    Cover: TPFT
    Previous Insurer: Liberty
    Best quote: QuoteMe.ie - 1850 with AXA
    Worst quote: No quote in general, but Liberty did quote - 2000.00.

Well to update this, renewal came at 1896 with Liberty.

Best quote by cover in a click: 1160
    Worst quote by AXA: 2370 :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

AXA were 450 last year for myself and herself both mid thirties on a new A4 with no points etc etc but renewal came in at 890!!!:eek: They told me the newer car was more powerful (3HP more) and wouldn't budge on the price.

I remembered getting our house insurance from the AA and phoned the guy directly in the call centre and 5 minutes later a better package for 404 euro. .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Car: 2006 Honda Civic 1.4
    NCD: 2 Years
    Licence: Full, 2 years, 2 points
    Previous Insurer: Liberty via Chill (900)
    Best quote: Liberty via Chill renewal, 1050
    Worst quote: 123.ie, 2300

Just started looking around but for now my renewal is better than anything else I've found, strangely enough. Still awful mind, should be going down at my age (1900 -> 900 -> 1050??). The rest are all 1300+

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Car: 2006 Honda Civic 1.4
    NCD: 2 Years
    Licence: Full, 2 years, 2 points
    Previous Insurer: Liberty via Chill (900)
    Best quote: Liberty via Chill renewal, 1050
    Worst quote: 123.ie, 2300

Just started looking around but for now my renewal is better than anything else I've found, strangely enough. Still awful mind, should be going down at my age (1900 -> 900 -> 1050??). The rest are all 1300+

I don't even know if age or NCB has any mater anymore. They just have their own price list and zero **** given.

I tried qoute myself for pretty much same car:

NCB: 8
    License: 10 years plus
    Car: Honda civic 1.8 hatch 2007

~950eu best and all big insurance companies 1100eu. I payed on subaru wrx last year 900eu and that's after they increased it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Turned 25 last week

Car: 06 BMW 523i 2.5

NCD: 4 years (be 5 in July)

Licence: Full 5 1/2 years, no points

Cover: tpft, no claims protection

Currently with Liberty,have been with them since I started driving. My policy has been: July 15-Sept 15 I was paying €31.xx cent/month on a 1.3 08 Grande Punto and since Oct 15 when I got the BMW it's exactly €70.50c/month til my renewal.

I'm very happy with that.

davycha wrote: »
    Just got the below quote for my daughter , 20 years old full license for a year , 2 years NCB in her own name: no accidents or penalty points.
    03 Peugeot 307 1.4 diesel .
    this is the extreme end of the quotes , but from checking around the market is just gone crazy.

Car Insurance Quote from 123.ie
    Quote Ref: XXXX
    Thank You For Considering 123.ie
    You're now only a couple of clicks away from great value Car Insurance with 123.ie. To view important information and key facts relating to our Car Insurance click here.

Third Party Fire & Theft
    Annual Amount Payable
    €12,880.55
    or
    8 monthly instalments of only €1,259.00 plus deposit of €3,765.41.
    (Total: €13,837.39)
    RETRIEVE YOUR QUOTE

Benefits included in Policy
    Breakdown Assist

Driving Of Other Cars

Stepback No Claims Bonus Discount Protection

Excess €300

Fire & Theft Cover

Fire Brigade Charges up to €1500

Legal Liability

Discounts Included:
    No Claims Bonus
    €-3187.79

If I were you I'd be reporting that quote to Insurance Ireland. There are rules in place that state an insurer cannot offer prices that are so ridiculous that they are the same as declining to quote.

Consumers need to act if they are or feel they are getting a raw deal, prices like the above are obscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

If I were you I'd be reporting that quote to Insurance Ireland. There are rules in place that state an insurer cannot offer prices that are so ridiculous that they are the same as declining to quote.

Consumers need to act if they are or feel they are getting a raw deal, prices like the above are obscene.

I reckon he misspelt Peugeot 307 with Bugatti Veyron. .:D

I read that quote as one the poster obtained as an alternative to his daughter's existing insurer. If that's the case you would be at nothing challenging it with Insurance Ireland

I read that quote as one the poster obtained as an alternative to his daughter's existing insurer. If that's the case you would be at nothing challenging it with Insurance Ireland

That's correct however the rule does not state if you have a quote elsewhere then tough titties, its the consumers right to move insurance companies once they fall within the particular acceptance criteria, the fact they quoted her means she does, the fact they quoted €12k is tantamount to a decline and is not allowed.

• Advertisement

That's correct however the rule does not state if you have a quote elsewhere then tough titties, its the consumers right to move insurance companies once they fall within the particular acceptance criteria, the fact they quoted her means she does, the fact they quoted €12k is tantamount to a decline and is not allowed.

Just like every insurer with a motor licence in Ireland is obliged to quote you providing you have a licence. Reality is they don't and nobody is going to force them, once you have a current insurer in place

Advertisement