Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Car: Ford Fiesta (1.25)
    NCD: 3 Years
    License: Full (3 years)
    Cover: TPFT
    Renewal Quote from AXA: 1026.29
    Last Years Price: 748

The car is 16 years old so that's why the price jumped up. The renewal quote is the same price as when I took out my first policy with a provisional license and no ncb.

I've just bought insurance with AXA through AA. The quote started out at just above my renewal quote. I got it down to 849 yesterday by adding a named driver. Today I got it down to 625 (I'm level 5 on the NCD scale they thought I was three). Final Price: 595.11 (Discount if I bought it over the phone right then.)

The only thing with the above quote is I had to buy aa membership to get a discount. So I've paid for the first month (7e) and there's a cancellation fee of 20 quid. Almost half price so I'm happy. I think the cover is much better too. I removed almost everything from my AXA policy to make it cheaper apart from glass breakage.

I didn't even bother ringing AXA to see if they'd match it. I know I had a hard enough time last year matching it and the difference was much less than this years quote.

AA was the only company with a quote nearest to my renewal. A few were 1,300. Most quotes were 1,700 and 2,500 (liberty). :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TheAdammaka

Hi, I'm 21 and I recently passed my test and am looking to get a new insurance policy in a swb van something around a 2.0l(Transit, Trafic something similar). I'm working in a small family business so my dad will be driving the van as well. The quotes I have been getting have been ridiculous 3k and upwards. Is it even possible to get insurance cheaper than this? Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ring around an/or consult a good broker.

It's the only way to find out for sure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ring around an/or consult a good broker.

It's the only way to find out for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Car: 07 Vectra 1.9DTTI

NCD: 9

Licence, full 10 years, 2 points

Cover: TPFT

Renewal: 571.21 - 123.ie

Last year: different car, 1.8 petrol, but 304.11 - AXA Broker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Car: 161 Micra 1.2 litre

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp

Best quote: Currently with Allianz - €400 p/a

Last year: €350 with Allianz on an 03 Micra 1.0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Truckermal wrote: »
    I reckon he misspelt Peugeot 307 with Bugatti Veyron. .:D

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Gender M

Age 32

Car 02 Corolla T2 2.0D4D

NCD Full 9yrs

Licence Full Irish 10yrs No Points

Cover Fully Comp/ Full NCB Protected

Best Quote €504 with Glennon
    With wife named. 32,full licence 7yrs,ncb 8yrs, no points.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Car: 161 Kia Sportage EX 1.7 diesel

NCD: 9 Years + (30)

Licence: 32 years

Cover: Comprehensive, Glass, NCB protection

Renewal: Liberty €479 (Last year was €299 for an 11 Sportage) 60% increase

Best Quote: € 759.29 with bonus protection, 2 years with Blue Insurance

€379.64 for each year. Tempted to move.

Not familiar with Blue Insurance, how would you rate them ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

This is slightly off topic, but still slightly relevant...

Have been driving an 02 BMW 530d M-Sport for last 6 months. Paid 750 euro fully comp with stepback protection and all the boxes ticked..all in one go.

Bought an 01 Opel Speedster two weeks ago. 2.2 petrol RWD convertible sportscar with virtually no driving aids. Swapped my insurance over...I got 150 euro refund! So can presume the full year quote would have been around the 500 euro mark, due to six months left on the policy.

So I'm 27, male, full clean licence with no claims bonus of 9 years. That car, for that money, fully comp. I'm not complaining, but insurance is fecking weird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Have been driving an 02 BMW 530d M-Sport for last 6 months. Paid 750 euro fully comp with stepback protection and all the boxes ticked..all in one go.

Bought an 01 Opel Speedster two weeks ago. 2.2 petrol RWD convertible sportscar with virtually no driving aids. Swapped my insurance over...I got 150 euro refund! So can presume the full year quote would have been around the 500 euro mark, due to six months left on the policy.

So I'm 27, male, full clean licence with no claims bonus of 9 years. That car, for that money, fully comp. I'm not complaining, but insurance is fecking weird.

Based on last years rates then yes, however the new car is now 15 years old and over 2l so I'd prepare for a hefty increase at next renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

icom wrote: »

Car: 161 Kia Sportage EX 1.7 diesel

NCD: 9 Years +

Licence: 32 years

Cover: Comprehensive, Glass, NCB protection

Renewal: Liberty €479 (Last year was €299 for an 11 Sportage) 60% increase

Best Quote: € 759.29 with bonus protection, 2 years with Blue Insurance

€379.64 for each year. Tempted to move.

Not familiar with Blue Insurance, how would you rate them ?

Thanks

Got a callback from Blue, went through details again, ended up at 667 for 2 years (333 per year). Went with that. Happy now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I did some messing around on 25plus. Posted that in other thread. All same cars but diesel or petrol versions. All diesel versions for some reason were more expensive to insure. That's always the case where petrol were more powerful too. So I don't even know how the count premiums anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

got quoted 1035 from axa this year. was 870 last year.

the lowest quote i could get this time was 950.

with 1 day left for the renewal, i called axa today. told them "nearly 20% raise, thats a bit much isnt it. got a quoted 950 elsewhere." he said "let me see what i can do". 960. i guess thats ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

got quoted 1035 from axa this year. was 870 last year.

the lowest quote i could get this time was 950.

with 1 day left for the renewal, i called axa today. told them "nearly 20% raise, thats a bit much isnt it. got a quoted 950 elsewhere." he said "let me see what i can do". 960. i guess thats ok.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I did some messing around on 25plus. Posted that in other thread. All same cars but diesel or petrol versions. All diesel versions for some reason were more expensive to insure. That's always the case where petrol were more powerful too. So I don't even know how they count premiums anymore.

Bit like Dr. Cox determines the right dose of tylonol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭griffin100

Currently insured via An Post. Got quoted a total of €910 for 2007 Corolla 1.6 petrol and 2006 S60 D5, fully comp, for Mrs and me. Both early 40's, no points, 5 years nct each. Much the same as last year.

Went online and was getting silly quotes from new insurers, especially for the Volvo, over €1k from most for Volvo alone. Rang current insurer to renew today and told them I wanted their best price before I'd consider renewing, they knocked €50 of each policy so all in cost €810 so happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭9935452

griffin100 wrote: »
    Currently insured via An Post. Got quoted a total of €910 for 2007 Corolla 1.6 petrol and 2006 S60 D5, fully comp, for Mrs and me. Both early 40's, no points, 5 years nct each. Much the same as last year.

Went online and was getting silly quotes from new insurers, especially for the Volvo, over €1k from most for Volvo alone. Rang current insurer to renew today and told them I wanted their best price before I'd consider renewing, they knocked €50 of each policy so all in cost €810 so happy with that.

I assume 5 years NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭griffin100

9935452 wrote: »
    I assume 5 years NCB

Oops yes, ncb.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Just got my quote from the AA, €775, last year €360... to say I'm shocked is an understatement..

Rang them for an explanation, got the usual 'cost of insurance is going up blah blah blah... When I pushed them on the 100%+ increase they had no explanation at all.. Said I could change cover to third party to get it down & drop the NCB protection!! Yeah right.

Some quotes from others are crazy
    €1424 from 123.ie (when I started driving over 20 yrs ago on a provisional licence my quite was lower than this)
    €1051 from Liberty
    €993 from allianz
    €792 From FBD

Anyway, 141D skoda octavia 1.6tdi doing 8-10k km PA
    NCB protection

I'm 44 at the time of renewal, have 9+ years NCB (actually its 20+ but only accept 9+ as the max), full licence 20+ years, no penalty points, based in Dublin...

No idea whats driving this up so high... even when I had a 1.8vtec Honda civic (boy racer car they told me at the time) it was only €390 or so.

am disgusted.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Just got my quote from the AA, €775, last year €360... to say I'm shocked is an understatement..

Rang them for an explanation, got the usual 'cost of insurance is going up blah blah blah... When I pushed them on the 100%+ increase they had no explanation at all.. Said I could change cover to third party to get it down & drop the NCB protection!! Yeah right.

Some quotes from others are crazy
    €1424 from 123.ie (when I started driving over 20 yrs ago on a provisional licence my quite was lower than this)
    €1051 from Liberty
    €993 from allianz
    €792 From FBD

Anyway, 141D skoda octavia 1.6tdi doing 8-10k km PA
    NCB protection

I'm 44 at the time of renewal, have 9+ years NCB (actually its 20+ but only accept 9+ as the max), full licence 20+ years, no penalty points, based in Dublin...

No idea whats driving this up so high... even when I had a 1.8vtec Honda civic (boy racer car they told me at the time) it was only €390 or so.

am disgusted.

Try Bank of Ireland, my brother in law got s big bump in his renewal - similar profile to yourself - and got a good price, think he got an additional 25% off as he is a customer of theirs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Same here. Paid 380 last year and now closest quote of the usual suspects was 450. Most were 7/800

Boi> 344 and 369 ( with ncb protection)but indeed, i am also banking with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

2014 €460 Allianz
    2015 €560 Allianz
    2016 €865 Allianz

A €300 rise is just is madness

I have a month now to try and source a cheaper quote which might be difficult due to the age of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

Are there any Ins. companies that will mirror NCB from a private vehicle over to a commercial one? And vice versa, just out of curiosity.

NickDunne wrote: »
    Are there any Ins. companies that will mirror NCB from a private vehicle over to a commercial one? And vice versa, just out of curiosity.

Do you mean that if you have a bonus earned on a private car can you transfer it onto commercial motor or do you mean you want to keep your car and take out a second policy on a commercial or vice versa?

Most insurers will accept a private bonus for a commercial quote and vice versa.

The exception would be a HGV or artic bonus, that's unlikely to be transferable.

For a standard commercial it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

mine was 350 now 680

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

Do you mean that if you have a bonus earned on a private car can you transfer it onto commercial motor or do you mean you want to keep your car and take out a second policy on a commercial or vice versa?

Most insurers will accept a private bonus for a commercial quote and vice versa.

The exception would be a HGV or artic bonus, that's unlikely to be transferable.

For a standard commercial it shouldn't be an issue.

Just the man I hoped would answer :D (the bit bolded was the answer I was after)

Hadn't even looked into it as I thought it was a no-go. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

NickDunne wrote: »
    Just the man I hoped would answer :D (the bit bolded was the answer I was after)

Hadn't even looked into it as I thought it was a no-go. Cheers
    Aviva did it for me a number of years ago. And AXA did it for me last December. So thats 2 companies that I know have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

€200 increase for me from AIG,€600 this time round.They can go sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

€915 comprehensive for a 05 Golf Gti DSG.

I got three points last year for talking on the phone when driving, but thats still over €300 increase.
    People are asking politicians about water charges and usc but is this not as big an issue? Legal fees are the reason for these increases and the government watered down legal reforms last year that could have helped reduced costs.

Advertisement