Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

€915 comprehensive for a 05 Golf Gti DSG.

I got three points last year for talking on the phone when driving, but thats still over €300 increase.
    People are asking politicians about water charges and usc but is this not as big an issue? Legal fees are the reason for these increases and the government watered down legal reforms last year that could have helped reduced costs.

Gravy train for the legal club is bleeding this country dry. I'd love to see the average total legal expenses cost to the taxpayer for Johny 50 Convictions.
    "Oh you've learned your lesson this time, fantastic wink wink... we would hate to see you back here next week lining all our pockets again!"

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

Car: 02 Audi A3 SE 1.9tdi (100bhp)

NCD: 2 years

Licence: Full 3 years, no points

Cover: Third party fire theft

Best quote: €1414 - AA , renewal from Quote Devil was €2100, last year paid €1500, and the year before €1500... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Try Bank of Ireland, my brother in law got s big bump in his renewal - similar profile to yourself - and got a good price, think he got an additional 25% off as he is a customer of theirs.

Thanks,will give them a go so. Not a BOI customer though so wouldnt get that 25% discount.

Have it down to €495 atm through Chill, thats still €135 up on last year which is a 37.5% increase...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

Peugeot 407 2.0HDI 2005,
    Male 38 years old
    Driving full EU licence since 1999, co conviction or penalty points or claims.
    Dublin 13 keep / Dublin 04 using
    NCD 7 years

2015: 450 Euro from AIG
    2016: 1268 Euro renewal from AIG (WHAAAT???)
    Best quote so far from Bank Of Ireland : 698 Euro.

Send an email to Irish Independent, Irish Time and Irish Insurance regulator - describing that current situation with 300% price increase is not normal on the insurance market.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Got my current insurance company (Axa) to match a renewal I got from Blue insurance which is still €150 more than what I paid last year.

Fine Gael were at the door yesterday and I asked them what were they doing about the hike on insurance especially car insurance and they couldn't give me an answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

I'm very surprised with my renewal but in a good way

Last year paid just over 500 Third Party only with 123.ie on a Lexus is200 worth probably 500 quid.

I bought an E92 M3 two weeks ago - switched over and paid 100 for the month to mid March when the policy is up.

My renewal comes in the other day - €468 - TP F&T on the M3!

It makes no sense whatsoever but needless to say I'm delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

McCrack wrote: »
    I'm very surprised with my renewal but in a good way

Last year paid just over 500 Third Party only with 123.ie on a Lexus is200 worth probably 500 quid.

I bought an E92 M3 two weeks ago - switched over and paid 100 for the month to mid March when the policy is up.

My renewal comes in the other day - €468 - TP F&T on the M3!

It makes no sense whatsoever but needless to say I'm delighted.

More details would be nice age, NCB etc...

Still a great price for any car never mind a M3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

35 male Wicklow. 2013 520D msport. Got renewal letter fully comp with wife as named driver. 590€ up about 50€ on last year.

Last years quote was on a 2005 a6. Happy enough was expecting much worse

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭dancecatz2000

39 Male, over 10 years NCB, 0 points, 0 convictions, 0 Claims, 03 skoda Vrs 1.8T insurance last year 123.ie €420 3rd PartyFireTheft, got renewal for €810, nearly fell off my seat, Boi quote €630.66 fireTheft, with Ncb protection, still to expensive for my liking, car will be taken off the road early march if i don`t get a better quote,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

After my €600 quote,I rang Aviva- €440 Fully Comp.Still €90 more than I paid last year but better than the €600 I was quoted from my current insurer.

1.5l Petrol 08 with full NCB since '99.

• Advertisement

I've a pain in my face with insurance.

FBD continuously feckin' me over. Last year I cancelled a policy 11 months in (wasn't told I'd lose the years NCB). But rang them when I realised and they said they'd honour it for me if i took out a policy with them again.

The difference in quotes with and without that year (2 vs 3 years ncb) is €1,114 vs €954 (using their online system).

So I rang them and asked them to honour the extra year and they said no. That was considered a 'discretionary discount' at the time and they'd only give it to me if i renewed with them last year (i didn't, as they gave me a €3.5k price) and so they're not going to acknowledge the 11 months as a year this time around, as i didnt renew back then.

Annoying!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

11 months < 1 year

you're welcome

rocky wrote: »
    11 months < 1 year

you're welcome

"Yes we'll honour the 11 months as a year" > "No, we won't honour that".

But sure we could just all be pricks instead.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

rocky wrote: »
    11 months < 1 year

you're welcome

I remember taking my first insurance out in The Netherlands. Was in the month March.
    In those days, and probably still, the insurance year ran from june 1st till may 31st.
    Guess what i got that june 1st? Indeed 1 year ncb.
    So that means 3 months = 1 year in your view?

@KKV

Since they do record all calls, request a copy of that call. Probably have to do that in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I've said it a thousand times, a no claims bonus is only a marketing tool insurers use there is no legal basis for its usage. You are entitled to your driving record, which will show 11 months for that year

I've said it a thousand times, a no claims bonus is only a marketing tool insurers use there is no legal basis for its usage. You are entitled to your driving record, which will show 11 months for that year

And true as that may be, FBD said they'd honor 11 months as a year on a policy with them (as it was them I was with), but now that I actually want to, they said no, they won't. Doesn't really change regardless of what way you look at it (NCB VS Driving history, etc.).

They can manipulate it to suit themselves (as you say, it's unregulated) but I just think their attitude about it is fairly shoddy.

inforfun wrote: »
    @KKV

Since they do record all calls, request a copy of that call. Probably have to do that in writing.

Would they hold onto things for such a long period of time, though? I was onto them again yesterday and yer man said he would get back to me today at some point. Hoping they'll be decent and honour it (you'd think they'd at least offer a 13 month policy without honouring the previous NCB year, so that I can claw my extra years NCB back for future use, even if i cant use it now).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

And true as that may be, FBD said they'd honor 11 months as a year on a policy with them (as it was them I was with), but now that I actually want to, they said no, they won't. Doesn't really change regardless of what way you look at it (NCB VS Driving history, etc.).

They can manipulate it to suit themselves (as you say, it's unregulated) but I just think their attitude about it is fairly shoddy.

Would they hold onto things for such a long period of time, though? I was onto them again yesterday and yer man said he would get back to me today at some point. Hoping they'll be decent and honour it (you'd think they'd at least offer a 13 month policy without honouring the previous NCB year, so that I can claw my extra years NCB back for future use, even if i cant use it now).

Honestly dont know how long they keep calls.
    Completely different industry but upc/vm still does have calls i had with them over 1 year ago. Cant see an insurance company getting rid of them sooner

inforfun wrote: »
    Honestly dont know how long they keep calls.
    Completely different industry but upc/vm still does have calls i had with them over 1 year ago. Cant see an insurance company getting rid of them sooner

Well it would appear they do indeed hold onto them. Must be lots of storage space for their data if they hold onto so much stuff. :eek:

They rang me back and they said that they looked into it, and ran it by their underwriting team. They changed their mind and would indeed honour the 11 months. So I got my NCB honoured with the extra year (and I'm kinda hoping they'll make a mistake at the end of the year and send me out an NCB for 4 years instead of 3!).

Chill looked into honouring it for me, too, but they said they couldn't (but that they would have been able to if the policy was with them and it was cancelled so close to completion).

So FBD did a good thing. I'm kinda surprised to be honest. Hat is off to them. I wasn't at all impressed with how i parted ways with them (and i stand by that) but they were genuine enough to honour the 11 months like they said they would. Thank god i rang them back to annoy them about it (pleasant and polite is always the way forward, though).

Keeping with the thread title:

I'm a 27 year old male, have 3 years driving experience and 2 years NCB (due to the above). I live in Co. Louth and have a 1.6 diesel (110bhp).

From lowest to highest (all TPFT):

FBD - €1,114
    QuoteMe - €1,121 (This assumes I own car 3 years.. no idea what relevance that has, but the quote may have increased when i told them I have it less than 1 year).
    Campion - €1,199
    Chill.ie - €1,279
    QuoteDevil - €1,300
    No-Nonsense - €1,320
    Liberty - €1,389
    AA - €1,589
    Axa - €1,626
    EasyInsure - €1,688
    First Ireland - €1,718
    Sheridan - €1,776 (w/ Liberty)
    TopQuote - €1,831
    25Plus.ie - €1,862
    Zurich - €1,872
    Aviva - €2,068
    Blue - 2,200
    123.ie - €2,251
    Allianz - €2,290
    AIG - €2,615
    Supervalu - €2,915

(So from €1,114 - €2,915 - A difference of €1,801 for the same person, same details etc. between 2 different companies. Madness!)

Non-quoters:
    - Britton - Wont insure anything prior to 2010.
    - Kelleher - Quote not given, said they'll contact me, I rang them also and didnt get through, they never got back to me.
    - An Post - If you have a full license less than 3 years you've to do an 'ignition' driver course. That didn't really apply to me, but regardless, as I've less than 5 years NCB they won't insure me on anything over 1.4 (talk about playing it safe!).
    - XS Direct - Won't quote - referred to QuoteMe.ie

Eventually got FBD to honour the extra year's NCB (detailed in previous posts) for a premium of €954.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just paid Bank of Ireland..Holding my breath as I had spent an hour getting refusals, and quotes that nearly gave me a heart attack.,.. E483,, 16 year old car and driver over 70.. Prestige ie fully comprehensive with all the frills; stpe back NCB.. Al I have to do now is sort my driving licence; I have a full UK life but a folder of papers went astray when I moved house. DVLA had no problem on the phone finding my records and are supplying the necessary paperwork. What a relief... The next quote up was Liberty at nearly E800 and the AA ditto. Last year with Aviva I paid well over E500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 CSween133

Some of these might shock some people, and it will also show how messed up this country is!

Car: 03 Volkswagen Golf 1.4 (75bhp)

NCD: 0

Licence: Less than a year (Nov, 2015), no points

Cover: Some fully comp. , some TP

Quotes: Liberty: €6264
    Boxymo: €2159
    Axa: €5700
    First Ireland: €5500
    AA: €5390
    Asgard (through chill): €6661
    Britton: €5853

Best quote: Boxymo €2159

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

i have a policy with aviva,1.4 meriva, is it worth my while looking for insurance on a 1.2 petrol pug as a second car

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Keeping with the thread title:

I'm a 27 year old male, have 3 years driving experience and 2 years NCB (due to the above). I live in Co. Louth and have a 1.6 diesel (110bhp).

FBD - €1,114
    QuoteMe - €1,121 (This assumes I own car 3 years.. no idea what relevance that has, but the quote may have increased when i told them I have it less than 1 year).
    Campion - €1,199
    Chill.ie - €1,279
    QuoteDevil - €1,300
    No-Nonsense - €1,320
    Liberty - €1,389
    AA - €1,589
    Axa - €1,626
    EasyInsure - €1,688
    First Ireland - €1,718
    Sheridan - €1,776 (w/ Liberty)
    TopQuote - €1,831
    25Plus.ie - €1,862
    Zurich - €1,872
    Aviva - €2,068
    Blue - 2,200
    123.ie - €2,251
    Allianz - €2,290
    AIG - €2,615
    Supervalu - €2,915

(So from €1,114 - €2,915 - A difference of €1,801 for the same person, same details etc. between 2 different companies. Madness!)

Non-quoters:
    - Britton - Wont insure anything prior to 2010.
    - Kelleher - Quote not given, said they'll contact me, I rang them also and didnt get through, they never got back to me.
    - An Post - If you have a full license less than 3 years you've to do an 'ignition' driver course. That didn't really apply to me, but regardless, as I've less than 5 years NCB they won't insure me on anything over 1.4 (talk about playing it safe!).
    - XS Direct - Won't quote - referred to QuoteMe.ie

Eventually got FBD to honour the extra year's NCB (detailed in previous posts) for a premium of €954.

Is it ford focus by any chance? If it is, then it is really ironic how worthless NCB became.

I was trying to get qoute on focus 1.6 diesel and all were around 1.1k eu too. I am male 29 with 7 years NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

At what point should you not put comprehensive on a car and go for 3rd party instead, my car is worth @ 7,000 and is bog standard, am I doing the right thing staying with comprehensive, don't know the difference in price just yet due end of March

Is it ford focus by any chance? If it is, then it is really ironic how worthless NCB became.

I was trying to get qoute on focus 1.6 diesel and all were around 1.1k eu too. I am male 29 with 7 years NCB.

It's an 09 Citroen C5 Estate. Not the most common car on the road, so statistically speaking, you'd think the chances of a C5 being in a crash would be very low (and therefore a 'safer' car)?

My first car was a 1.4 focus hatch back (2000). On a provisional license, with no driving experience whatsoever, my quote was €1,309. I thought that was the worst it'd ever be, then i started seeing quotes of close to 3k this time around. What a load of nonsense.

crusier wrote: »
    At what point should you not put comprehensive on a car and go for 3rd party instead, my car is worth @ 7,000 and is bog standard, am I doing the right thing staying with comprehensive, don't know the difference in price just yet due end of March

It's all about the price to me. If there's €20 between a fully comp and TPFT quote, I'll go fully comp. So far the difference between the two has always been about €300, so I stick with TPFT. My car is worth about the same as yours, I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just paid Bank of Ireland..Holding my breath as I had spent an hour getting refusals, and quotes that nearly gave me a heart attack.,.. E483,, 16 year old car and driver over 70.. Prestige ie fully comprehensive with all the frills; stpe back NCB.. Al I have to do now is sort my driving licence; I have a full UK life but a folder of papers went astray when I moved house. DVLA had no problem on the phone finding my records and are supplying the necessary paperwork. What a relief... The next quote up was Liberty at nearly E800 and the AA ditto. Last year with Aviva I paid well over E500

Omission. I had a quote from BOI a few weeks ago that was nearly E700.. can you imagine how fast I clicked BUY yesterday....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Car: 11 Mazda 6 (129Bhp)

NCD: 5 Years

Licence: 9 years full Irish

Cover: Fully Comp

Quotes (including the missus (25 Years old) on a provo licence):

Previous Insurers new quote €1300

First Ireland €992
    Chill €2985
    Coverme.ie €1309
    Britton € 977
    McCarthy Brokers €1377
    creaneandcreane.ie €1209

I'm going to ring around and pit Britton and First Ireland against each other see if i can bring it down further.

But it goes to show to disparity between quotes in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I'm 41 year old male, have 7 years NCB. I live in Co. Sligo and have a 1.9 TDI.

2015 - AIG was €400, renewal this year 650 - up 250 euro, no claims

Recent Quotes.
    FBD - €520
    Zurich - €790
    Chill.ie - €810
    Aviva - €850
    Axa - €880
    Liberty - €920

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Kind of a rare case, but here are the quotes I received only a few months ago, maybe someone in a similar situation can profit from this, who knows.

At the time I was 25 years old, male (still am), Full EU driving licence 7 years, NCD 7 years with EU insurance company.

Car is a EU imported 2008 Grande Punto, 1.3l diesel 90hp. It's Left-hand drive, other than that it's identical to any other Irish/UK Punto.

I've been asking for a comprehensive. Sometimes only 3rd party fire & theft was actually more expensive than comprehensive.

Axa - Didn't quote me, but not because of the car.
    Britton - Didn't quote me because of the car, even though a lot of people with Jap imports recommended them.
    Blue - Didn't quote me, they said they don't quote imports.
    AA - 8200 € with Axa and 7900 € with Allianz if I remember correctly.
    Liberty - 4750 €, after they recognised my NCD it went down to 1528 €

I went with Liberty, it's the only choice apparently for imports / LHD / foreign NCD.

I'd really like to see what's going to be my renewal later this year, if I haven't changed car or exchanged my driving licence with a Full Irish yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is that above car on Irish plates? If so why didn't you bother selling it in your country and then buying a Irish car(would have worked out cheaper in the long run) Reason i say that is it sounds like a normal car that you could easily get here, unlike some sports car model with all the extras.

Advertisement