Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Yep it's on Irish plates. You can insure it on foreign plates but you'll have to register it here anyway at the end, or you're going to have some fiscal issues. Especially if insured here with foreign plates, companies are required by law to notify Revenue after a couple of months, listing all their insured vehicles on foreign plates IIRC.

I didn't want to sell it because I won't probably stay here long enough (one more year, max two), and I'd like to keep it for when I'll go back. Thing is, it has to be registered, insured, taxed and tested in the country since I'm a resident. Of course I could have still sold it and bought another one here, then sold this one here and bought another one back home, but I wanted to keep it because I grew affection for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

It's an 09 Citroen C5 Estate.

It's all about the price to me. If there's €20 between a fully comp and TPFT quote, I'll go fully comp. So far the difference between the two has always been about €300, so I stick with TPFT. My car is worth about the same as yours, I'd guess.

I'm kind of suprised you chose TPFT on a car worth 7k for me personally I wouldn't consider it until the car was worth sub 3k. IMO €300 is not enough of a saving to justify it TPFT is great until you write off the car and suddenly have nothing and are down 7k worth of a car. Just my view on it though.

Nice one on getting the extra year ncb from FBD. I'm dreading getting my renewal in April.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

CIP4 wrote: »
    I'm kind of suprised you chose TPFT on a car worth 7k for me personally I wouldn't consider it until the car was worth sub 3k. IMO €300 is not enough of a saving to justify it TPFT is great until you write off the car and suddenly have nothing and are down 7k worth of a car. Just my view on it though.

Nice one on getting the extra year ncb from FBD. I'm dreading getting my renewal in April.

Ah who knows.
    Maybe enough people have been ripped off in the first 3 months that the insurers start acting normal again in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

inforfun wrote: »
    Ah who knows.
    Maybe enough people have been ripped off in the first 3 months that the insurers start acting normal again in April.

FLYING-PIGS-C4.5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

38 year old male / 10+ Full Irish / 9 years NCB / 2 penalty points
    2002 1.4 Focus worth 2 grand
    Co Galway / Galway city area
    3rd P&FT
    Missus on policy too / 35 yr old / Own car, Full Irish 10+ no points

Renewal with 123.ie (I've been with them for 3/4 years) was €364.00.

They were far and away the cheapest again. The next cheapest was €683.00 with AXA (i think, can't remember exactly) and from there it went to over 800 quid from others. Surprised by how many companies who would not quote me at all. Its like being 20 years old again. Absolutely maddening some of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭9935452

Yeah Id be inclined to agree especially when you start adding in the extras like windscreen cover, breakdown assist, driving of other cars , personal contents cover, etc , stuff that normally doesnt come on TPFT as standard

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

Female, 30s, European licence(s) 10+ years (French, swapped for Irish last year) 1 year NCB, 07 puny Golf.
    Was horrified when I moved here and discovered what the insurance costs were but coughed up the cash. Have just renewed for 700 including AA membership which I know is still high but with only 1 year's NCB I am delighted.

9935452 wrote: »
    Yeah Id be inclined to agree especially when you start adding in the extras like windscreen cover, breakdown assist, driving of other cars , personal contents cover, etc , stuff that normally doesnt come on TPFT as standard

My thinking is that if I have an accident serious enough to write the car off, then I can simply buy an old banger for a grand and count my blessings that I wasn't wrote off with the car.

In the meantime, the more likely crashes I'm going to have will be small (accidentally rolling into someone in traffic or taking a wing mirror off a parked car or such) and in such instances, I'd rather not go through my insurance anyway and just sort the person out directly, as at this stage of my insurance 'career', any claim I make will be paid for time and time again for the next 10 years.

Fingers are crossed that the year ahead will be good to me, of course, and like previous years, I won't have any crashes or smashes to talk of.

There is a bit of a gamble with taking TPFT VS Fully Comp, but I think I can settle with TPFT at the moment and not be too concerned. When the prices start to get closer (or Fully Comp gets cheaper than TPFT!) then I'll swap over, but I won't really lose any sleep in the meantime. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

bisounours wrote: »
    Female, 30s, European licence(s) 10+ years (French, swapped for Irish last year) 1 year NCB, 07 puny Golf.
    Was horrified when I moved here and discovered what the insurance costs were but coughed up the cash. Have just renewed for 700 including AA membership which I know is still high but with only 1 year's NCB I am delighted.

€700 with only one years bonus is a very good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Male, 34 years old upon renewal date.
    Kia Ceed 1.4 Petrol
    7+ Years NCB
    10 years full clean license..

Gone up from 335 to 550 with Allianz via a broker. Waiting on a few quotes from other brokers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Male 39 yrs old.
    2001 Rav4 1.8 Petrol.
    Full NCB 7+ years.
    Full Irish Licence for 16 years, never any claims or convictions.

Fully Comp renewal : €533.69.

Last year was €450 , I changed from a 2008 1.8 Volvo S40 Petrol about 3 months into the policy last year and paid an extra €120 for doing that, admin costs blah blah blah.

Due to finances (Insurance and Road tax) I was considering downsizing to a 1.2/1,3 but that doesn't seem to make damn all difference to my quote, was still quoted €500 online. I drive 2 miles to work and 2 miles home 5 days a week and do very little else in my car as we use the wife's car for family time. If it wasn't for keeping NCB I would get rid of the second car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

€700 with only one years bonus is a very good price.

I'd have been delighted with that.

Mine so far is €1900 -> €900 -> €1050 (:rolleyes:)

Renewal was by far the best quote I could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

27 years old, full Irish licence since 2008, 8 years no claims, driving a 2010 Ford Mondeo 1.8Diesel, no claims protection and maximum excess,

Renewal from Aviva is €550 fully comp, up by €50 on last year!

Tried chill, blue, fbd and liberty, all much higher quotes! Any suggestions out there from anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Male 53 yrs old.
    2008 Octavia 1.9 Diesel
    Full NCB 7+ years.
    Full Irish Licence for 30 years, never any claims or convictions, no penalty points.

Fully Comp renewal quote from Chill : €535.00, up from €480 last year.
    Got some quotes up to €700.
    Campion insurance Portlaoise quoted €470 for fully comp with windscreen, breakdown assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 g45

Car: 02 seat

NCD: 6 + years

Licence: Full, 40 years, no points

Cover: fully comp

Renewal: €454 - AA

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Went with Aviva,previously quoted me €440,got fully comp today for €432.

Some insurers wouldn't even quote me,apparently a 1.5l petrol Lancer is suddenly a sports car.

27 years old, full Irish licence since 2008, 8 years no claims, driving a 2010 Ford Mondeo 1.8Diesel, no claims protection and maximum excess,

Renewal from Aviva is €550 fully comp, up by €50 on last year!

Tried chill, blue, fbd and liberty, all much higher quotes! Any suggestions out there from anybody?

My dad is with Aviva.

His renewal was €504, up from €375, fully comp & full bonus protection, car is a 2013 2l Avensis.

The best I could get anywhere was €550, most were €600+.

He decided he would just renew with Aviva for the €504 and was going to ring them the day before and pay.

4 or 5 days before that they rang him to query if he was renewing. He told them he hadn't a chance to price around and would call them and let them know, straight away yer man said to him if we can bring it back to €455 will you renew, he took it so perhaps wait for them to contact you and play the game with them.

Fbd posted their 2015 results today.

Net loss of €85 million.

Of course they must be lying as insurers are making a fortune in Ireland.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

37 year old male / 10+ Full Irish / 5 years NCB / 0 penalty points, also have a named driver on a learner permit.
    2001 1.9 BMW worth about €1250
    Fully comp, stepback protection, breakdown recovery, all other bells and whistles.

Last years policy was €600 with Allianz, which includes the DD service charge. Although I have not gotten the renewal through the post yet, I can see on the online portal that the new policy total will be €930, which again includes the DD charge. I had expected a higher jump tbh, as I know the age of the car and having a named driver pushes it up. Taking into account that I can review the policy and make some adjustments, I would hope to get it a little lower still.

Net loss of €85 million.

That loss is on their car insurance only or for the entire company?

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    That loss is on their car insurance only or for the entire company?

Overall losses.

Overall losses.

This thread is about car insurance and the general feeling from most here that they are being ripped off when receiving a renewal.

FBD losing money overall doesnt really tell me anything.
    Is their car insurance (partly) responsible for this loss or maybe home insurance after a year where half the country has been under water at 1 point or the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kh8

Gender M

Age 19

Car 97 polo 1L

NCD 1

Licence Full 1 year no points

cover tp

1650 starting off 1050 when i got 1 ncb renewal in a few months

With Coverinaclick very good company

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

delly wrote: »
    37 year old male / 10+ Full Irish / 5 years NCB / 0 penalty points, also have a named driver on a learner permit.
    2001 1.9 BMW worth about €1250
    Fully comp, stepback protection, breakdown recovery, all other bells and whistles.

Last years policy was €600 with Allianz, which includes the DD service charge. Although I have not gotten the renewal through the post yet, I can see on the online portal that the new policy total will be €930, which again includes the DD charge. I had expected a higher jump tbh, as I know the age of the car and having a named driver pushes it up. Taking into account that I can review the policy and make some adjustments, I would hope to get it a little lower still.

I have a very similar story.

41, full license since 2002, Insured in my own name since '99, never had any claims.

2003 BMW Coupe - 1.9L Petrol

Insured via 123.ie (fully comp + all bells whistles) - last year was 540ish, renewal in a couple of weeks is 940.

It's absolutely scandalous. Car is immaculate with 75k miles - not that it matters to them of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CSween133

Car: 03 Volkswagen Bora 1.4 (75bhp)

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 15+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp

Best quote: €1655 - AA online

Also: I have my son, 17 with full 4 months, on that

I was wondering should i just go for TPFT

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CSween133

kh8 wrote: »
    Gender M

Age 19

Car 97 polo 1L

NCD 1

Licence Full 1 year no points

cover tp

1650 starting off 1050 when i got 1 ncb renewal in a few months

With Coverinaclick very good company

Jesus, thats a class quote considering

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Partner is 33 14 years full licence
    Drives 1.8 04 Saab 9-3
    No points 5 years no claims.
    No nonsense just sent out renewal of 2915 for comprehensive insurance. That's with the 50% reduction for no claims.
    Any advice?
    Move away from fbd?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

sm213 wrote: »
    Partner is 33 14 years full licence
    Drives 1.8 04 Saab 9-3
    No points 5 years no claims.
    No nonsense just sent out renewal of 2915 for comprehensive insurance. That's with the 50% reduction for no claims.
    Any advice?
    Move away from fbd?

Deffo move from fbd and get quotes off other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Net loss of €85 million.

No surprises there, they must share the same business model as their buddies in the Irish Farmers Association.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kh8

just wondering what people are paying for car insurance same age as myself im 20 years old with nearly 2 years no claims driving 1L polo

Advertisement