Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Car: 08 focus 1.6d

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, protected

Best quote: €444 Aviva but increases to €529 to include the OH and her 2 points (will get €70 back in July when points go).
    Current insurer (Allianz through a broker) went up from €429 to €547 and I could only get them down to €524. Looks like I will be parting company after 17 continuous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Age 30
    Male
    NCB 6+ years
    No points
    Full license the last 10 years
    Car is a 1.4 Opel Astra . Petrol
    Existing company sent out a rewnal quote of 970€ in January, I was shocked. Local broker got me insurance for 550€.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Renewal just in:

NCD: 5 years + 1 point

Car: 2004 Honda S2000

Cover: Fully comp

Last year €1370

Renewal: €1330 through broker with Aviva

I'll shop around but doubt I'll get a better quote, somewhat delighted it somehow has not gone up like most others have experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Car
    : 98 Honda Civic 1.4 (90bhp)

NCD
    : 1 year

Licence: 6 years, no points

Cover
    : TPFT

Best quote: Current insurer - 837, last year - 750. First Ireland.

Also with cover to drive other peoples car.

Pretty happy with that. I had started to ring around dreading the renewal. The cheapest I got from that was some outrageous in the range of 1700.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Car: 1990 BMW 318is (E30)

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: 3rd party

Best quote: N/A, everyone told me car is over 15 years old. I had a policy with axa finishing in mid January (previous car got stolen in October, it was a 1994 1.0 Micra) so I asked them how much the Bmw would be. They said 850 euro. The renewal was 650e for Micra (previous year I paid 400 euro - lowest couple of years back was 330 euro). Got no direct answer from the guy in their office when I asked them why they want extra 250 euro this year. He said "I don't know". It seems they wanted the money they paid me back or something. So the Bmw was insured with Carole Nash (since I bought it in november) but because they won't insure it as first car (and the guards haven't found the Micra) I had to find somebody who would. Nobody would insure it except First Ireland (AIG). Limit 4000 miles a year and I had to become a member of a classic car club. I can drive other cars but nobody is allowed to drive mine (which isn't a problem). I paid 216 euro per year, motor breakdown assistance included (20 miles free). If I would have only this car (I have another classic car) it would cost me 260 euro per year. Not bad considering how cool E30 is comparing to the other 80% of cars that are out there. People pay hundreds of euros for something that looks boring and goes slow. Their choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Vw golf 2 litre TDI, 26 year old male. Full licence for 8 years, 7 years ncb. Fully comp with breakdown assist, windscreen cover, ncb protection and driving of other cars was 755. I'm pretty happy with that. Last year I insured a 1.2 fiesta tpft for 410 so paying a decent bit extra for the car this year. Worth it though.

Update. Figured I was being mugged right off the the broker so went to liberty to get my own quote. Insured on my own, 830. With my mam named on the policy it dropped to 680,then added my dad for the craic and it dropped to 610. Couldn't get the card details into the computer fast enough. Insurance makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭9935452

Update. Figured I was being mugged right off the the broker so went to liberty to get my own quote. Insured on my own, 830. With my mam named on the policy it dropped to 680,then added my dad for the craic and it dropped to 610. Couldn't get the card details into the computer fast enough. Insurance makes no sense.

Its widely known that adding a parent will reduce the cost of the insurance. though i find that if i try to add both the price goes upp for the second one.
    The theory behind it is they are a lower risk than you driving the car and lower the overall risk. If they are driving you cant be.
    Some lads say thats a wee bit odd as it would increase the mileage but you have already informed the insurance that you do a certain mileage a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

As you say, if there are additional mature drivers on the policy, the perception is you would drive less. However, the big thing is that if the named driver has Driving of Other Cars on his own policy, it is that policy which will pick up any 3rd party claim, not the policy he is named on. That will only cover the own damage

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dr Robert

M Mid 30s

9 a years no claims, full Irish

Ford focus 1.6

Aviva €380 fully comp. Full no claims protection

As you say, if there are additional mature drivers on the policy, the perception is you would drive less. However, the big thing is that if the named driver has Driving of Other Cars on his own policy, it is that policy which will pick up any 3rd party claim, not the policy he is named on. That will only cover the own damage

So both policys would have a claim against them potentially?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

9935452 wrote: »
    Its widely known that adding a parent will reduce the cost of the insurance. though i find that if i try to add both the price goes upp for the second one.
    The theory behind it is they are a lower risk than you driving the car and lower the overall risk. If they are driving you cant be.
    Some lads say thats a wee bit odd as it would increase the mileage but you have already informed the insurance that you do a certain mileage a year

I've added parents previously to reduce the premium alright but it never took 200 quid plus off.

I've added parents previously to reduce the premium alright but it never took 200 quid plus off.

Me too . ad one it took 50 euro off . add the second one it put 100 euro onto the policy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Dr Robert wrote: »
    M Mid 30s

9 a years no claims, full Irish

Ford focus 1.6

Aviva €380 fully comp. Full no claims protection

that's a very good quote, especially from Aviva (in my opinion).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

9935452 wrote: »
    So both policys would have a claim against them potentially?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

27 year old male

8 years NCB consisting of named driver x3 and then 6 years my own

Audi TT 2L petrol

Used to be e700 with AIG XLNT Driver

Now e1000 for renewal :eek::eek:

I'm being mugged!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kh8

Gone up look at price in bold.

mine came down 600 euro last year

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

33 yr old male
    540 fully comp with aviva.
    08 audi a4 2.0
    Bonus fully protected with father as a named driver on policy.
    Upped excess from 300 to 600 to bring the price down.
    Full NCD. No points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Have received renewal that only shows 2 years NCD. Insurance changed 2 years ago with full NCD transferred. Should previous NCD be included in current renewal?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Mo60 wrote: »
    Have received renewal that only shows 2 years NCD. Insurance changed 2 years ago with full NCD transferred. Should previous NCD be included in current renewal?

Should be, but normally it says 2 years under the policy but full ncb is applied (hope it makes sense).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

wonski wrote: »
    Should be, but normally it says 2 years under the policy but full ncb is applied (hope it makes sense).

Hope to shop around for better quote. How can full NCB be claimed if only 2 years being shown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Mo60 wrote: »
    Hope to shop around for better quote. How can full NCB be claimed if only 2 years being shown?

Your ncb letter should have 2 pieces of information:

No claim bonus earned under current policy (2 years) and total ncb earned.

If there is an error give them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

43 year old
    full ncb
    zero pp
    never had claim ever
    saab 93 1.8t 2003
    €840 best i can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

AIG renewal last year €307 (with extra discount to leave the AA) this year €414
    50 yo
    full ncb
    2002 1.4 VW Polo car valued at €1800 lmao :)
    named drivers only, me + wife who has her own car.
    Inc no claims protection

Can't decide if I can be bothered to shop around :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

Car: 09 Opel Insignia (160 bhp)

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 7+ years, 3 points (all insurers said points didn't increase the insurance)

Cover: Fully comp, protected

Best quote: €850

Insurer: Kennco

Its 80% increase over last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭little man disorder

Car: 98 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V

NCD: 8yrs+

Licence: Full 10 years, 0 points

Cover: TPFT, protected step back cover and all that other jazz

Best quote: €2100 "Fully comp" I am sure he said (So far with Hooper Dolan) still waiting on my own insurance company "Aviva" but I have to submit documents first as its modified and declared, last year was €900 TPFT up from €800 but initial quote was €1600 which I got down so I expect €1000 easy as everyone's is gone up.

check out my findings for insurance here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99137445#post99137445

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CSween133

Car: 07 Opel Corsa 1.2

NCD: 0 (as have other car insured for my son)

Licence: Full 10+ years, 0 points

Cover: Fully Comprehensive

Best Quote: 57 with Bank Of Ireland

Anyone know any company that would be the best for me to go for with 0 no claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CSween133

Car: 07 Opel Corsa 1.2

NCD: 0 (as have other car insured for my son)

Licence: Full 10+ years, 0 points

Best Quote: 657 with Bank Of Ireland

Anyone know any company that would be the best for me to go for with 0 no claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

That's a brilliant quote with 0 NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Car: 2006 Ford Focus 1.4

NCB: 3 years

Licence: 2 years 5 months. No points.

Cover: Fully comprehensive

Last year's premium: €685 with Allianz through a broker

Renewal with existing insurer: €780 with Allianz through existing broker

Best new price: €695 with Zurich through existing broker.

I am going to shop around and see if I can get any better deals that the €695 premium offered from my current broker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Car: 04 Ford Fiesta 1.2

NCB: 3 Years

Licence: Full

Last year: 450 with Aviva through Broker

Renewal 480 with Aviva through existing broker

Relieved, was expecting a big increase..

Advertisement