Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

as they're blatant thieves
    Hate to break it to you but all insurance companies are thieves. Absolutely unfair how they can sell the same thing to two different people for wildly different prices depending on how complacent a particular customer is. It's a massive scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Hate to break it to you but all insurance companies are thieves. Absolutely unfair how they can sell the same thing to two different people for wildly different prices depending on how complacent a particular customer is. It's a massive scam.

You're right there Ted :pac:

The sad thing about it all is that it's legal.

The insurance companies are blaming the legal fees and compo culture for it all. :mad:

And why would the government change the law when the likes of Michael McDowell a practising barrister and former Tanaiste clean up on cases like those.

The recent quotes I've been getting on bikes is so cheap i'm seriously considering jacking in driving the car.

The wife can sort the insurance because i'm sure as hell not paying the prices I've been quoted in my post from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Alan_007_ wrote: »
    Just wondering, how much were you paying last year with Axa?

About 1050 I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bertl

Car: 04 Kia Magentis 2.0
    NCD: +9 years
    License: 28 years full EU (german), 0 points
    Cover: TPFT, myself + wife as named driver (see below)
    old premium: 424.80
    renewal quote: 563.52 (= +33%!) with Liberty

got quotes from AXA, Allianz, Aviva, 123 - all even more expensive, AXA with 813.02...

Car: 05 Opel Astra 1.6
    NCD: +9 years
    License: 25 years full EU (german), 0 points
    Cover: TPFT, wife + myself as named driver (see above)
    old premium: 303.48
    renewal quote: 473.76 (= +56%!) with Liberty

as the daughter got her learner permit in January we need to add her to one of our policies as named driver.
    NCD: 0 years
    License: 0 years (irish learner permit), 0 points

Liberty quoted us 1240.68 to add her to the Astra policy, not a bargain but seems ok as we got quotes +5000.00...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

On a similar note...45 yr old, licence since I was 18. Zero points, zero claims, zero convictions. Driving an 05 2.0i Legacy and my insurance went up from €510 full comp last year to €770 this year! Absolutely Criminal and totally unjustifiable. I shopped around and got a quote from Allianz for €520 full comp with bonus protection windscreen etc etc

I rang the other company to tell them to shove their quote up their hole and had a callback from them offering me a policy for €530! I told them I wouldn't return to them even if they offered me the same policy for €100 as they're blatant thieves who quote people ridiculous prices in the hope they don't question them and pay up. I asked to have my number and email removed from their system as I will never ever even check for a quote with them again.
    Please also send them an email under data protection asking that they have no need keeping your personal data. Time to stop taking this nonsense lying down. I'm 43 and getting ridiculous quotes, yet see the odd young fella getting cheap quotes on performance cars,. There is no clarity in this industry ( insurance group???)and the government need to address this or there is going to be a spike of uninsured drivers.... golden goose and all that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Renewal arrived. €460 for comp. Step back ncb. 2015 Fiesta ST. I'm a model risk (apparently).

Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Male, +60, Saab 2 litre TDi 2004, ncd +7 years, retired, licence +40 years, Dublin, roadside parking.
    Axa reinsurance quote E450 12/15 for Comprehensive with some benefits.
    Reduced with no argument to E300 when I phoned - same as 12/14.
    Have been with them continuously since 1995 and 1975- 1993.
    Must be doing something right for a change.
    Replaced Saab with 2014, 1.2 litre Hyundai, worth 10 k, in February. COST REDUCED TO E200

• Registered Users Posts: 20,532 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Car: 01 Honda Integra DC5 (220 hp)

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Third Party Fire + Theft , windscreen cover

Best quote: €500 Liberty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Car: 2011 BMW 320d ed (163bhp)

NCD: full 8 years

Licence: Full 10 years, no points

Cover: Fully comp with full NCB protection

Best quote: €620 renewal from Post insurance
    (70 of this is NCB protection)

Hoping to reduce this a little more as I have the house insurance with them too.

Last year was €510.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

PaulKK wrote: »

Car: 2011 BMW 320d ed (163bhp)

NCD: full 8 years

Licence: Full 10 years, no points

Cover: Fully comp with full NCB protection

Best quote: €620 renewal from Post insurance
    (70 of this is NCB protection)

Hoping to reduce this a little more as I have the house insurance with them too.

Last year was €510.

Is that €70 NCB protection added on before the ncb bonus is taken off or after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

KC161 wrote: »
    You're right there Ted :pac:

The insurance companies are blaming the legal fees and compo culture for it all. :mad:

The wife can sort the insurance because i'm sure as hell not paying the prices I've been quoted in my post from yesterday.

A mate of mine in the insurance industry just received an annual bonus of €24k. Hardly sounds like the industry is in trouble.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

my3cents wrote: »
    Is that €70 NCB protection added on before the ncb bonus is taken off or after?

Its added on after all other discounts.

666bxg wrote: »
    A mate of mine in the insurance industry just received an annual bonus of €24k. Hardly sounds like the industry is in trouble.....

A bonus of €500 a week? Jasus they must be struggling to make ends meet the poor devils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

KC161 wrote: »
    A bonus of €500 a week? Jasus they must be struggling to make ends meet the poor devils.

Barring he on the top of the food chain ie a CEO/senior executive a bonus of €24k is Walter Mitty territory. Even on a decent basic of €50k per annum that's almost 50% of the salary, as a bonus.

I'd like to know who the company is that's paying 50% bonuses cos I'll send them my CV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

The biggest bonus I ever received in my 35 years in insurance was in the very early 5 figures. That was in a sales role in a brokerage that earned the Company 10% of every premium I brought in for a specific product. To earn that, you do the maths of what I had to bring in to get a share of that 10%.

An insurance brokerage is a sales and administration business, no different to many. The insurance Company was left with 90% of the premiums I brought in to pay claims and cover their costs. Insurance Companies are not paying anything near that level of bonus to it's general staff (if any bonus at all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The biggest bonus I ever received in my 35 years in insurance was in the very early 5 figures. That was in a sales role in a brokerage that earned the Company 10% of every premium I brought in for a specific product. To earn that, you do the maths of what I had to bring in to get a share of that 10%.

An insurance brokerage is a sales and administration business, no different to many. The insurance Company was left with 90% of the premiums I brought in to pay claims and cover their costs. Insurance Companies are not paying anything near that level of bonus to it's general staff (if any bonus at all)

The company I work for are not paying bonuses this year, we didn't get one last year either.

Even the sales reps that hit all their targets in 2014 got around 5% bonus. In general a company will pay their top performers up to 10% but that's tied in with many different KPI's and like most bonus structures is dependent on company as well as individual performance.

Of course I'm not saying yer man didn't get a €24k bonus, anything is possible, but from my knowledge of the industry, pay scales and the number of people I know working in the industry, that level of bonus is fanciful at best, outright lying at worst, outside of the very top level decision makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Rang around and got a quote of 880 from First Ireland Fully Comp.

Not bad considering One Direct wanted 1300 off me to renew.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Last year's policy was 460. Renewal this year was 690 (aviva). 50% increase, no change in details

36 year old male, full licence and no claims for 10+ years.

Checked the website, and was able to get a quote from aviva for same details for 527 as a new customer.
    Rang, they said that 627 was the best they could do. Told them i'd a cheaper quote from them, so keep it. Emailed to advise of cancellation of motor and future home insurance.

I have quotes for the below
    2010 ford focus diesel

FBD 597.38
    AA 584.26
    123 831.85
    Liberty 680
    axa 815
    aviva 691
    Aviva call 527
    britton 651
    aig 1072

25plus wouldn't quote me for some reason.
    There were higher quotes, but i fell off my chair and forgot to note them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Currently with AIG through First Ireland and paying €609. This year they want €1146 :mad:

Best quote apparently works out at €906 with Allianz for the same fully comp, bonus protection, step-back, driving other cars extension, unlimited windscreen cover and rescue cover.

Disgusted so I am! Now I'll have to spend the rest of the week ringing Insurance companies

40 year old male, no points, full license, full no claims on a 05 Audi A6 3.0 TDI

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Currently with AIG through First Ireland and paying €609. This year they want €1146 :mad:

Best quote apparently works out at €906 with Allianz for the same fully comp, bonus protection, step-back, driving other cars extension, unlimited windscreen cover and rescue cover.

Disgusted so I am! Now I'll have to spend the rest of the week ringing Insurance companies

40 year old male, no points, full license, full no claims on a 05 Audi A6 3.0 TDI

Allianz was my best qoute too until I got onto coverinaclick who got me a much better qoute underwritten by Allianz.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

pogsick wrote: »
    Allianz was my best qoute too until I got onto coverinaclick who got me a much better qoute underwritten by Allianz.....

Heard good things about coverinaclick.

One of the lads passed his test last summer. Parents bought him a 2008 Golf 1.4 petrol and he got insured on his own for 1800.

EDIT: He's 20 now. Was 19 when policy started

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

brainiac wrote: »

Licence: 2 years on Full, 0 points

Car: 99 Toyota Yaris GS VVTi 998cc

Full NCB: 3 years

Cover: TPFT

Insurance: Asgard through Chill

Last year: 960 (900 the year before that with 1 NCB)

This year: 1640

Best quote I've gotten so far this morning is 1312.70 with BOI, horrendous increases... You expect your NCB to have a positive affect

Just to give an update on where I am at:

Renewal with Chill: Won't budge from ~1600

Axa: 1230 with no excess and glass protection

Bank of Ireland: 1312, 1050 if I open an account with them

Most other places have ranged from 1.5 - 2.5k. It's crazy really. Pretty sure I've rang everywhere at least twice at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

pogsick wrote: »

Cheers.. filled in the online quote request there and it says someone will call me. We'll see.

The cheapest i've now gotten through a broker is €740 with Allianz. Had 123.ie ringing yesterday asking do i want to go ahead with the €1340 quote. They were told where to go very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

My renewal with Allianze via a broker was coming in at 661.43, putting the gf on it as a named driver is bringing it down to 609.50.

So far most quotes seem to be around the 640 mark for me on my own. One odd one though was BOI who went up to around 1300 when i added my gf as a named driver using all the same info!

this is based on 6 years NCB, zero points but i only have 1 Year full licence on a 1.5 Qashqai

I was paying around 510 last year.

only quoting fully comp prices above

It doesnt look like I'll beat the renewal so far

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Gender. Male

Age. 37

Licence. 6 Years IE.

Car. 1.4 Astra GTC 2006

FNCB. 5 years

Points. 0

Cover Required. Fully Comp

Current. Broker €455

Renew Quote. Liberty €1400

:eek: :eek:

If Broker renewal is near the 4 figure mark, may be going back to a 1.2 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Gender. Male

Age. 37

Licence. 6 Years IE.

Car. 1.4 Astra GTC 2006

FNCB. 5 years

Points. 0

Cover Required. Fully Comp

Current. Broker €455

Renew Quote. Liberty €1400

:eek: :eek:

If Broker renewal is near the 4 figure mark, may be going back to a 1.2 again.

that is ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

rizzee wrote: »
    that is ridiculous!

Not sure where people get cheap quotes from them, or why I always try them. Every quote I have got from them have been 2-3 times my current renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

I passed my test last year and was insured with 25plus for €660 fully comp. I was looking forward (!) to my quote this year as I had my first year as a licensed driver done and my first year's NCB.

Little did I know..

Car: 00 Fiat Punto 1.2

Licence: Full 1 year + 2 years named driver, no points or claims

Cover: Fully comp

Best quote: €1152, 25plus.ie

I have contacted 17 insurance companies and 3 brokers so far, no one can beat my (awful) renewal quote from 25plus.

Its4women, Aviva, Blue, FBD, Zurich, Allianz, AIG, 123 and Kennco wouldn't quote at all. The worst I got was €1833 from Liberty.

I'm waiting for a callback from BOI.. they're my last hope :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

Word of warning. Guys, check your direct debits every now and then.

I recently got car insurance with Bank of Ireland, and last week I realised that except for the direct debit they set up for my policy there is another unauthorised direct debit that Bank of Ireland is taking from my account. It comes out that I paid 2 instalments for someone else's policy (according to one of their representatives).

Three phone calls later and the issue still isn't resolved. Just cancelled that myself. They are totally incompetent, unable to to rectify their own mistake. Looks like the decent quote came at a price for me.

Advertisement