Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

BabyBirch wrote: »
    I passed my test last year and was insured with 25plus for €660 fully comp. I was looking forward (!) to my quote this year as I had my first year as a licensed driver done and my first year's NCB.

Little did I know..

Car: 00 Fiat Punto 1.2

Licence: Full 1 year + 2 years named driver, no points or claims

Cover: Fully comp

Best quote: €1152, 25plus.ie

I have contacted 17 insurance companies and 3 brokers so far, no one can beat my (awful) renewal quote from 25plus.

Its4women, Aviva, Blue, FBD, Zurich, Allianz, AIG, 123 and Kennco wouldn't quote at all. The worst I got was €1833 from Liberty.

I'm waiting for a callback from BOI.. they're my last hope :(

BOI came through for me with a new lowest quote of €970 - don't think I'm going to do any better than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gender. Male

Age. 30

Licence. 12 years. Full.

Car. Alfa romeo Gt 1.9 diesel.

FNCB. 8 years.

Points. 0

Cover Required. Third party

Last year: 900eu on subaru Impreza wrx 05'

Renew Quote. Liberty €1660!!!!!

The bull**** train hit it hard and strong. I expected to be around grand, but not 1660eu. Looks like this year I will be lucky to get insurance for around 1k!!!

So went online and got few qoutes:
    FBD - Feck off
    AA - 2362eu
    123.ie 839eu
    Liberty 1500eu ( 1660eu renewal.... lol )
    AXA 1509eu
    aviva 1707eu
    Britton 889eu
    AIG - FECK OFF
    chill: 1500eu

Any other places to ring or go online lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Try Allianz. Complete @ssholes though, pray you don't need to deal with them beyond them taking your money.

Have you tried a quote pretending you still had the scooby, just for comparison? Be interesting to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Try Allianz. Complete @ssholes though, pray you don't need to deal with them beyond them taking your money.

+1

The 5 cheapest quotes have been Allianz but through brokers only,not directly. That is the only good thing about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Gender. Male

Age. 35

Licence. 12 years. Full.

Car. 2010 Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 Diesel.

FNCB. 7 years.

Points. 0

Cover Required. Fully Comp

Last year: €450 Mccarthy Insurance

Renew Quote. €850!!!!!

Looked around and managed to get €483 from another broker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Last year: €450 Mccarthy Insurance...

I was with McCarthy's for years, with RSA and Zurich going nuts every second year and the other competing for my custom. Until 2013, when they both went nuts and I would up moving to AXA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ryath wrote: »

Car: 08 2ltr Petrol Mondeo Estate

NCD: 9years

Licence: 9 years

Cover: Fully comp

Liberty Renewal €607
    Edit: think I get another 10% of that if I pay in full at least I did last year, I had another 10% discount when my wife was insured with them too but she changed insurers last year.

Paid €428 last year!

Was getting €610 from chill insurance online calculator so thought it was par for the course but run_Forrest_run's quote makes me see it's worth doing a bit of shopping around.

Finally got around to renewing. Happy out €379! :D Fully comp with no claims protection with aviva. Putting excess up to €600 from €300 knocked €20 off hope it was the right decision.

Liberty would go to €575 on the phone everyone else I was getting on line was €650-700

Just called Liberty and told them it was a joke renewal price. I told them that I already got 830eu elsewhere and they were pretty much "**** you, go with them, we dont care you were with us for 7 years".

I told them not to renew it. My insurance expires on 29th of April. I wonder do I renew with 123.ie for 830eu or try brokers in limerick city on monday. I cant do a thing now as I am baby sitting all day. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just called Liberty and told them it was a joke renewal price. I told them that I already got 830eu elsewhere and they were pretty much "**** you, go with them, we dont care you were with us for 7 years".

I told them not to renew it. My insurance expires on 29th of April. I wonder do I renew with 123.ie for 830eu or try brokers in limerick city on monday. I cant do a thing now as I am baby sitting all day. :(

Quotes are generally valid for 30 days so if you have a confirmed price from 123 that should last until your renewal is due. That will also give you time to do some more shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

(

You would wonder all right you'd think they want to lose customers. I was with them over 10 years and my wife the same. They've given me a few silly renewal quotes over the years but have always come down only once did I have to get them to price match another insurer. They can feck of this time though even if they did match aviva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

I remember the same happening when they were Quinn. I had quotes from several other insurers for half of what they were quoting me and they told me there was no way they could even come close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Ryath wrote: »
    You would wonder all right you'd think they want to lose customers.

With many insurers, that's exactly what they want. If your profile is in a group costing them money, they'll price the renewal to make you move elsewhere

With many insurers, that's exactly what they want. If your profile is in a group costing them money, they'll price the renewal to make you move elsewhere

Its retarded how they do it in groups and not on individual customer.

Its up to 1660eu now.

I am insured with them for 7 years and I drove cars like Skyline, Subaru WRX, Mercedes CLK, Mazda MX5 and now Alfa romeo GT. In 7 years I payed very high premiums and never claimed a cent, still dont have a single point on my license. Now I am a bad business for them as I am in dangerous group. They are throwing me away even after I payed thousands to them over the years and did not costed a cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Did you try Powers in Limerick?Also try adding a named driver to the policy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Its retarded how they do it in groups and not on individual customer.

Perhaps if you promised your insurer not to have a claim, they might agree to rate you differently from the others that match your profile and have been causing them problems

The whole principle of insurance is the pooling of similar risks to have the claims of the few covered by the premiums of the many. To try and be fair about it they group similar risks together in 'mini-pools', so you are being individually rated as much as can be practicable

Colser wrote: »

I think I will just go to town on Monday door to door to each broker in City. Would do it today, but cant.

Looks like the whole changing to Irish driving license from eu is now completely ****ing me over as they see me as having driving license for 5 years and not 12 years. Though they are perfectly fine with me having 8 years NCB in Ireland. So I got 3 NCB with no driving license at all by their logic.

10090ccc4321cad9161f8aa1ac76616e0fa2fe8e71d532183021437ab3bc192a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

After my previous post getting quotes for €800+, and being 43.
    I swapped cars with my wife(when I say swaped, I mean log books off to shannon). got insured on hers for €400, and it cost her €100 extra to switch to mine.
    So cost me €500 V the €860.
    Just a thought for you couples out there

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

Colser wrote: »

I think I will just go to town on Monday door to door to each broker in City. Would do it today, but cant.

Looks like the whole changing to Irish driving license from eu is now completely ****ing me over as they see me as having driving license for 5 years and not 12 years. Though they are perfectly fine with me having 8 years NCB in Ireland. So I got 3 NCB with no driving license at all by their logic.

10090ccc4321cad9161f8aa1ac76616e0fa2fe8e71d532183021437ab3bc192a.jpg

I swapped mine and on the back it says as from when you held a valid licence - that's the date I declare to insurance companies. Otherwise anyone who renews their licence would "lose" the past 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Looks like the whole changing to Irish driving license from eu is now completely ****ing me over as they see me as having driving license for 5 years and not 12 years.

I presume that you exchanged your foreign licence with the Motor Tax Office in the past. What they used to do was to register your foreign licence and issue you with a new licence as if you'd passed your test that day but with a '70' coded denoting that it was exchanged and a country code such as 'UK' or 'AUS'.

What the NDLS does is you either give them a valid, in-date foreign licence OR a foreign 'letter of entitlement' which will show the correct start dates and they will back-date accordingly. The NDLS office won't have access to the MTO's records to back-date correctly but I think that if you are being penalised, you could approach the RSA to see if they have access to the records or you could request a new foreign letter of entitlement showing the correct start dates. However, I'm not aware of anyone making such a correction to their licence to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

Got a renewal quote from AXA €597. Been with them for years.

Knew it was high last year but didn't do anything about it.

Online quote from 123.ie - €336.

Rang AXA - best they could do was knock off €20!

Dropped from comprehensive to 3rd party F&T with 123.ie (RSA) - €294.

That's some saving - wish I'd done it last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

blackbox wrote: »
    Got a renewal quote from AXA €597. Been with them for years.

Knew it was high last year but didn't do anything about it.

Online quote from 123.ie - €336.

Rang AXA - best they could do was knock off €20!

Dropped from comprehensive to 3rd party F&T with 123.ie (RSA) - €294.

That's some saving - wish I'd done it last year!
    That's good quote. What are you driving and for how long? Stats please.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 grazinggreen

Gender. Male

Age. 22

Licence. 5 Years

Car. 2007 BMW e60 520d

FNCB. 5 years

Points. 3

Cover Required. Fully Comp

Current. Aviva €1000

Renew Quote. €1100

Happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

That's good quote. What are you driving and for how long? Stats please.

2002 MR2 Roadster
    Full NCB
    Clean licence
    Age >50

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Licence: 20+ Years
    Car: 2015 Honda CRV 1.6iDtec AWD
    NCB: 6+ years
    Cover Required: Fully Comp
    Current Insurer: 123.ie €386
    Renewal Quote: €668

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Licence: 6 Years
    Car: 2007 S60 2.0T Petrol
    NCB: 6 years
    Cover Required: TPFT
    Current Insurer: AIG €450
    Renewal Quote: €550

Went through most of the players as I have to do every year and the quotes returned were staggering for pretty much a perfect customer, all for TPFT

BOI = €407
    AIG = €550
    FBD = €700
    Liberty = €803
    123.ie = €804
    Kennco: €937
    Allianz = €977
    AA = €1,016
    Axa = €1,062
    25Plus: €1,066
    Chill = €1,135
    AIB = €1,200
    Zurich: €1,215

Got covered with Bank of Ireland eventually so worth trying as BOI wasn't an obvious choice for me. Tried AIB motor insurance after and same cover was coming in over €1,200.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Licence: 17 Years
    Car: 2000 1.25 hatchback
    NCB: 6+ years
    Cover Required: Fully Comp
    Current Insurer: Allianz -- €374
    Renewal Quote: €560

Quotes received today (online only):

123/RSA: 718
    FBD: don't fit underwriting criteria.
    Axa: 707
    Zurich: can't offer quote online; call us.
    Aviva: car too old.
    AIG: can't offer quote online; call us.
    Liberty: 655
    An Post/One Direct: can't offer quote online; call us.
    AA (underwritten by RSA, I think): 725

Bank of Ireland (underwritten by RSA): 381.

Previous years' quotes:
    2015: 374
    2014: 303
    2013: 248
    2012: 332
    2011: 422
    2010: 373
    2009: 362
    2008: 318
    2007: 362

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Following on from my previous quotes listed in this thread AXA can do no better than €1033. After 8 years loyalty it's a nice kick in the nuts from them. Got quoted €670 by the AA with all the extra's. Couldn't buy it quick enough.

Car: Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 TD 04'
    NCB: 8
    License: Full B Irish 12 years ( swaped from EU full )
    Last year: 890eu for Subaru Impreza WRX With Liberty, then renewal 1660eu for Alfa...

So thats it, I got insurance now. Went through brokers in City and one Broker gave me 1009eu through Zurich. Rounded up to 1000eu. The only cheaper one I got online was Britton for 890eu, but tried 3 days trying to call them and always busy or closed. Other companies were all around 1500-1700eu.

The lady was very nice and good crack at brokers. Very patient and helpful. I needed to come back to bring my NCT cert to her, so I droped a big feck of galaxy chocolate bar too. She was very happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

careful you might get whiplash when she is thanking you for that one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

HiGlo wrote: »
    Out of interest, I did a search in my emails to see my renewals over the past few years.....

2012 - €361.30
    2013 - €328.75
    2014 - €353.95
    2015 - €424.87

For my 2014 renewal that involves a change of car from a 2007 1.4 Focus to a 2006 1.6 BMW

Grrrrrrr, got my renewal for 2016;
    €559.86

Not.happy.Jan.....:( Gonna shop around a little and see can I get something better. Been with 123.ie for 4 years or more now.

Advertisement