Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

KC161 wrote: »
    Following on from my previous quotes listed in this thread AXA can do no better than €1033. After 8 years loyalty it's a nice kick in the nuts from them. Got quoted €670 by the AA with all the extra's. Couldn't buy it quick enough.

I wonder if they actually give a damn if you leave them or not.8 years as a good customer is a great thing in any business.........and most businesses would( you would think) kill to keep you on. its mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

HiGlo wrote: »
    Grrrrrrr, got my renewal for 2016;
    €559.86

Not.happy.Jan.....:( Gonna shop around a little and see can I get something better. Been with 123.ie for 4 years or more now.

That's not bad considering my renewal quote with 123 went from 386 to 668

Shopped around and 123 came down to 560 after calling them and got an even better quote from AIG for 536 this morning

Don't think I'll better that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Licence: 4 years
    Car: 2012 VW Golf 1.6 TDi
    NCB: 4 years
    Cover Required: Fully Comp
    Current Insurer: NonNonsense €1180
    Renewal Quote: €1280

I'm more than peeved to be honest. The renewal quote is in fact €2034 with a 45% NCB subtracted. When I first agreed terms with NoNonsense 4 years ago it was €900 for a 2.0L diesel with much much less driving experience (and only NCB as a named driver).

25plus have offered €960 for the same cover, I'm probably going to switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

crazygeryy wrote: »
    I wonder if they actually give a damn if you leave them or not.8 years as a good customer is a great thing in any business.........and most businesses would( you would think) kill to keep you on. its mad.

If the individual is within the profile that is costing the insurer more than average in claims, then he/she is not a 'good customer' to try and retain, even if that specific person has never caused them a problem. It's the very essence of insurance and pooling of risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

crazygeryy wrote: »

I went face to face with them to see would it make any difference. It made none. She had all my details in front of her so she knew exactly what the score was with regard to how long i am a customer with them. Policy isn't up until 3 weeks time anyway so i'll let them ring me and grovel (happened in 2013 & 2014) doubt it will happen this year judging by their attitude. Apart from 3 years with Quinn Direct they are the only insurer i've ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Marcus-Aurelius

Licence: provisional <6months
    Car: 2011 Toyota Auris Hyrid T spirit 1.8
    NCB: 0
    Cover Required: Fully Comp
    Current Insurer: Broker in Galway ? finnegans 2,100
    Quote from Chill, 4k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

My Wifes renewal

Licence: Full -- 10 years
    Car: 2004 Ford Focus 1.4
    NCB: Full (which is the 50% for 5 years)
    Cover: Fully Comp (Aviva Standard)
    Insurer: AA > Aviva Renewal €393
    Last year iirc ~ €360

Notes: Named drivers only inc No claims protection.

Have to call the AA (what I pain, must measure my inside leg for when they ask) because the renewal documentation is very sparce, for example no indication of the value of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

BabyBirch wrote: »
    BOI came through for me with a new lowest quote of €970 - don't think I'm going to do any better than that!

I rang BOI today to go ahead and purchase the insurance and they warned me that quotes are only valid for 24 hours.. they recalculated and it had gone down to €928. What a random and arbitrary system! I added my mum as named driver and got it down to a final price of €904.70. Where on earth do they pluck these figures from?

Edited to say I also needed to change my address as mine wasn't valid on their web form - I had put in my next door neighbour's. When they updated the quote with mine it went down by €20.

Got a decent enough quote from a broker, driving 12 years with no claims, The brokers requested proof of NCB as they do, only for when i checked it it tells me i only have 6 years NCB. ive been with same company for last four years or so and checked all NCB and they all say 6 years??? WTF they seem to have it capped at 6 years, tried ringing them but offices just closed.
    Do you think ill have a problem getting them to fix it? if not will it affect the quote i got by much?

funnily enough they requested 9 years NCB which is not what i told them i had, i told them i had my full licence 9 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Got a decent enough quote from a broker, driving 12 years with no claims, The brokers requested proof of NCB as they do, only for when i checked it it tells me i only have 6 years NCB. ive been with same company for last four years or so and checked all NCB and they all say 6 years??? WTF they seem to have it capped at 6 years, tried ringing them but offices just closed.
    Do you think ill have a problem getting them to fix it? if not will it affect the quote i got by much?

funnily enough they requested 9 years NCB which is not what i told them i had, i told them i had my full licence 9 years.

Won't be an issue at all. Most hit the max of scale at 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 seanin98

Hi,

I just got a ridiculous quote from NoNonsence who I've been with for 7 years .. My Insurance was approx €400 four years ago. I had a small claim for water damage and it went up to €600 three years ago, then 700 and 800. This year that have quoted me €1250.

I basically use my car to drive to the train station and it's probably worth 2K max .. I drive my wife's car at weekends etc. Should I just insure my own for third party at €700 or how might this effect my driving the family car which is fully comp in my wife's name with me as a named driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

seanin98 wrote: »
    Hi,

I just got a ridiculous quote from NoNonsence who I've been with for 7 years .. My Insurance was approx €400 four years ago. I had a small claim for water damage and it went up to €600 three years ago, then 700 and 800. This year that have quoted me €1250.

I basically use my car to drive to the train station and it's probably worth 2K max .. I drive my wife's car at weekends etc. Should I just insure my own for third party at €700 or how might this effect my driving the family car which is fully comp in my wife's name with me as a named driver?

If you are a named driver on a policy you are automatically covered up to the level of insurance on the car, in the case of your wife's car that would be fully comp.

Your own insurance does not factor into it.

If you are a named driver on a policy you are automatically covered up to the level of insurance on the car, in the case of your wife's car that would be fully comp.

Your own insurance does not factor into it

Unless you have made a claim against your own insurance in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Same as most cases, mine gone up €155 from last years without claims.

Licence: Full -- 20 years
    Car: 2000 Ford Focus 1.4
    NCB: Full (which is the 50% for 5 years)
    Cover: Fully Comp
    Insurer:123.ie (RSA) > Renewal quote €495
    Last year 2015 was €340, previous for 2014 €301

Most quotes been over €600 but some even quote me 1000 for same coverage. Cheaper so far BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Car: 2003 Mini
    NCD: Full
    License: Full 14 years, 0 points
    Insurer: 25plus €381
    Renewal: €485 with 25plus

Couldn't get anything under €650 from anyone else :/

OSI wrote: »
    Licence: 7 years
    Car: 2016 VW Golf GTI-P DSG
    NCB: 5 years
    Insurer:AA
    Price: €650
    AA seem to be giving decent quotes lately. Switching to them after 8 years with AXA.

AA seem to be giving decent quotes lately. Switching to them after 8 years with AXA.

I didn't need much excuse to leave the AA when they dumped AIG and AIG gave a discount to keep customers. I got sick of having to provide so much info every time I contacted the AA before they would talk to me.

Policy number - obvious
    Name - obvious
    Full Address - obvious
    Home phone number - why?
    Mobile phone number - going to far
    Email address - wtf

They also completely changed my address twice so I didn't get documents.

my3cents wrote: »
    I didn't need much excuse to leave the AA when they dumped AIG and AIG gave a discount to keep customers. I got sick of having to provide so much info every time I contacted the AA before they would talk to me.

Policy number - obvious
    Name - obvious
    Full Address - obvious
    Home phone number - why?
    Email address - wtf

AIG are giving me crazy quotes then. Insurance premiums are a bloody lottery realistically.

my3cents wrote: »

Policy number - obvious
    Name - obvious
    Full Address - obvious
    Home phone number - why?
    Email address - wtf

They have to ask so many questions due to the data protection act. If they were audited by the central bank and were not complying with it (data protection) then they would face potentially huge fines.

Data protection is a massive part of all financial services in the modern world.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I'm with Axa through the AA but Axa were going to charge me more going directly to them. The mind boggles

• Advertisement

Autosport wrote: »
    I'm with Axa through the AA but Axa were going to charge me more going directly to them. The mind boggles

I have that exact problem

AXA renewal directly €1033 is the cheapest.
    AXA through the AA is €670.

The mind boggles is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Autosport wrote: »

Same here. With Axa but through Coverinaclick. Going directly would have been about €800 more. :confused:

GvidoR wrote: »
    Same here. With Axa but through Coverinaclick. Going directly would have been about €800 more. :confused:

I wonder is this strategic from AXA to get x amount of customers off its books. Where is Business Cat when you need answers.

I wonder is this strategic from AXA to get x amount of customers off its books. Where is Business Cat when you need answers.

Pretty much nail on head.

Direct insurers will sometimes have different pricing structures than they have through brokers.

They will also give different brokers different discounts for particular classes of business.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Car: 03 Golf 1.9 130bhp

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, protected

Best quote: 585, Aaran insurance

Just checking previous quotes.
    2013 310
    2014 388
    2015 440

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Car: 06 Mondeo 2.0 115bhp

Licence: Full 9+ years, no points

Cover: TPFT

Best quote: 539.51, BOI insurance

I snapped at that quote.. :D

Renewal from 123.ie was >750.

Was getting crazy quotes from Hibernian, 25plus, AXA etc. All over 900 and some over 1500..

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Having a general overall mare with insurance this year!! Changed my car from a 00 1.0 litre Opel Corsa to a 04 1.4 Opel Astra

Female

Licence 2 years

1 Years NCB

Quotes so far include:

Its4Women.ie (TPFT)- €1,235.44
    Pat Britton Insurance (TPFT) - €1,456.00
    AXA- €1,876.00
    Chill Insurance- €2,118.00 (guy from Chill was sound and rang me- told me to take anything under €1,300.00 as was a great deal)
    123.ie- €2,200.48
    Zurich- €2,302.00
    AIG- €3,108.41

Looks like I'll be going for Its4Women.. Not too sure to make of them after reading reviews etc but can't justify paying anything more than €115.00 per month for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That time of year, here are quotes for me
    Many year full licence, lots of NCB, 1999 2Litre Saab Turbo

Chill.ie www.chill.ie 1036
    123.ie www.123.ie unable to quote
    Liberty www.libertyinsurance.ie 1608
    Aviva www.aviva.ie Car cannot be 14 or more years old
    AA Ireland www.theaa.ie Begs for mail to send quote to
    One Direct www.onedirect.ie now postinsurance.ie site is broken
    Easy Insure www.easyinsure.ie points to www.25plus.ie, no cars before 2000
    FBD www.fbd.ie unable
    No Nonsense www.nononsense.ie not providing new quotes
    AIG www.aig.ie unable
    Sheridan www.sheridan.ie unable
    25plus www.25plus.ie 960
    Allianz www.allianz.ie Car cannot be more than 15 years old.
    Top Quote www.topquote.ie unable
    Britton Insurance www.brittoninsurance.ie Unable
    Insure4Less www.insure4less.ie no online quote ability
    Its4women www.its4women.ie/ no cars before 2000
    Tesco (Closed to New Customers) www.tesco.ie/finance/carinsurance
    Quote Devil www.quotedevil.ie no online quote ability
    First Ireland www.firstireland.ie Unable
    XS Direct www.xsdirect.ie site broken
    Axa www.axa.ie 1,199
    Supervalu supervalu.ie/insurance unable

I will have to go with 25plus, which is an increase from 350 to 960

Update
    Before I went ahead with 25plus I checked a few more. BOI gave me a quote of 659.61 - I just saved myself 300 euro :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

No difference, bar who my current insurer is with the prices below.

382924.png

New customers get a 100 discount some would say, or existing customers get a -100 loyalty "discount"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Guys,

Bit of advice please. Feel free to move me elsewhere if this isn't the best forum.

I got a quote this morning for a policy on Its4Women.ie. It was coming in at by far the best price and beside the quote it said valid for 30 days. I was reluctant at the time to pay a deposit as I was still waiting to hear back from one or two brokers.

I checked the quote throughout the day and it remained the same. After not getting any better quote I just decided to go in and pay for the deposit on Its4Women. However, I played about with the quote a bit adding my parents as additional drivers to see if i could get a further discount. The quote remained the same. I then decided to remove them as it wasn't effecting the cost and when I went back to the main quote page my quotation had shot up by almost 300euro?

How is this possible? Is it because I tampered with the original quote? I don't see how my actions change anything! Of course by the time this happened it was after 5pm and they are closed! Has something similar happened anyone?

Advertisement