Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

License: 6 years
    NCB: 6 years
    Car: Mazda RX8 231bhp
    Insurer: Liberty
    Cover: Fully Comp
    Price: ~1050

Price last year was ~950, previously had a E46 325i with liberty for similar money.

Waiting on delivery of a new Seat Ibiza Cupra so will be interesting to see what the quotes on that will be like. Definitely lower risk than the RX8, Will have to do some shopping around, have been with liberty years now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

smeal wrote: »
    Guys,

Bit of advice please. Feel free to move me elsewhere if this isn't the best forum.

I got a quote this morning for a policy on Its4Women.ie. It was coming in at by far the best price and beside the quote it said valid for 30 days. I was reluctant at the time to pay a deposit as I was still waiting to hear back from one or two brokers.

I checked the quote throughout the day and it remained the same. After not getting any better quote I just decided to go in and pay for the deposit on Its4Women. However, I played about with the quote a bit adding my parents as additional drivers to see if i could get a further discount. The quote remained the same. I then decided to remove them as it wasn't effecting the cost and when I went back to the main quote page my quotation had shot up by almost 300euro?

How is this possible? Is it because I tampered with the original quote? I don't see how my actions change anything! Of course by the time this happened it was after 5pm and they are closed! Has something similar happened anyone?

go back on the website in incognito mode on chrome and your previous quote might come back

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Guys,

Bit of advice please. Feel free to move me elsewhere if this isn't the best forum.

I got a quote this morning for a policy on Its4Women.ie. It was coming in at by far the best price and beside the quote it said valid for 30 days. I was reluctant at the time to pay a deposit as I was still waiting to hear back from one or two brokers.

I checked the quote throughout the day and it remained the same. After not getting any better quote I just decided to go in and pay for the deposit on Its4Women. However, I played about with the quote a bit adding my parents as additional drivers to see if i could get a further discount. The quote remained the same. I then decided to remove them as it wasn't effecting the cost and when I went back to the main quote page my quotation had shot up by almost 300euro?

How is this possible? Is it because I tampered with the original quote? I don't see how my actions change anything! Of course by the time this happened it was after 5pm and they are closed! Has something similar happened anyone?

Did they send you the quote by email? There should be a reference number for your quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Autosport wrote: »
    Did they send you the quote by email? There should be a reference number for your quote.

No- there wasn't. Very odd. And their whole system is online so its impossible for them to track your quote really through the online chat unless you're a policy holder already. It's grand, eventually got it sorted by starting the whole quote again and logging in with a different email address! Never so quick to pay a deposit in my life!

I think I amended my quote too much the first time fiddling around with extra drivers and that so it upped my quote. It shouldn't have though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

With RSA Insurance (via 123.ie):

Last year €414
    This year €549.

Update of some quotes I got from other insurers online (all Fully Comp)

Zurich €743
    Chill €775
    Britton €706
    AA €489
    Liberty €555
    Allianz €518
    An Post €517

Looks like 123 will be getting a call, and if they can't match, its off to the AA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Gender F
    Age 36
    Car 2013 Hyundai i20
    N.C.D. Full
    Full Licence 11 yrs, 0 points 0 claims
    Fully Comp
    Current Insurer An Post : €515 (last yr €400)
    Best quote: it's for women €430 with similar benefits including N.C.D. protection
    I spent afternoon getting quotes both online and via phone €600 to €800
    I gave feedback to pass on to management, that companies need to start looking after people that never claim! Going to keep trying. I refuse to pay that amount and I'm sceptical about it's for women following reviews.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

NIMAN wrote: »

Last year €414
    This year €549.

Zurich €743
    Chill €775
    Britton €706
    AA €489
    Liberty €555
    Allianz €518
    An Post €517

Looks like 123 will be getting a call, and if they can't match, its off to the AA.

What car are you driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

Age 40 odd
    Female
    Full NCD
    Full licence

Over 1000 for a 2000 Nissan Micra, third party, and
    351 fully comp for a 2004 Suzuki wagon r
    Update, just checked again for the Micra quote has gone down to 652 fully comp with Axa.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

Car: 07 opel vectra 1.6
    NCD: Full 8+
    Licence: Full 8 years, no point
    Area D15
    Cover: full comp stepback
    Renewal 550 no nonscence
    Last year 480

All quotes so far from 650 up to 900 bar B.O.I was 600
    Think I'll stay where I am

male
    00 skoda fabia 1.4
    ncd: 20%
    license full
    cover third party fire & theft
    renewal from aviva: 1,934

gross premium: 3942
    ncd: -788.51
    renewal discount: -630
    less penalty point free discount: -681
    gov levy: +92
    total 1,934

I can't afford 2 grand again when it was meant to come down significantly in price after getting ncd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

male
    00 skoda fabia 1.4
    license full

total 1,934

I can't afford 2 grand again when it was meant to come down significantly in price after getting ncd

We are all feeling the renewal financial pinch,me included. Your car's age may be part of the problem. have you shopped around for quotes else where? i'm in my 30's and was getting quotes of over 3k from Aviva.

the age of the car is against me and the fact they seem to think a 1.4 8v push rod engine which may have possibly had a shocking 68bhp 16 years ago is any worse than a 1 litre.

other insurers won't touch the car probably, because of the age. aviva are counting a year of named driver experience as well as my one year under my own name, but on the no claims statement they just have one year down.

in terms of the cost for replacing the car, a quote on a micra or something would be at the very least a grand, so between that and replacing my car which is essentially worthless it would work out nearly the same cost, and i'd then have a car which may not be as sorted as mine (which just got a years tax and went through nct without a single advisory.)

so I'm between a rock and a hard place. I was considering just not renewing and getting a motorbike for the year but then when I go back to a car they'll want to know why there was a gap of a year. And I'd never get insurance as a named driver on either parents cars for the year because they're both large engines.

bollox to the whole situation. Last year there was a serious struggle even getting the insurance with aviva, they only went with it because as far as I was concerned I already had a policy with them from doing the 12 lessons and getting 6 months 'free' insurance. And there's a requirement for them to keep insuring as long as the car is road worthy.

I'm going to ring around and see if anyone else will consider the car.. it's all a bit of a racket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

@frozenfrozen have you tried the AA yet? Not sure if they will quote but worth a try.

I'll put them on the list of people to call, they're grand with 'old' cars I assume? Just going from this thread there doesn't seem to be a very long list of insurers who will even consider ancient death-traps like my yoke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭CallMeFlo

No- there wasn't. Very odd. And their whole system is online so its impossible for them to track your quote really through the online chat unless you're a policy holder already. It's grand, eventually got it sorted by starting the whole quote again and logging in with a different email address! Never so quick to pay a deposit in my life!

I think I amended my quote too much the first time fiddling around with extra drivers and that so it upped my quote. It shouldn't have though.

Have you checked your junk mail? It may have gone in there

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭CallMeFlo

I'll put them on the list of people to call, they're grand with 'old' cars I assume? Just going from this thread there doesn't seem to be a very long list of insurers who will even consider ancient death-traps like my yoke :D

Have you tried its4women or boxymo? I was with its4women the last two years but my premium has gone up by 400 so I'm switching to boxymo who gave me a quote of 850. They fit a box in your car and monitor your driving, you pay for the km you're going to use for the year and are rewarded with extra km for safe driving. My friend is insured with them now and hasn't had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Car: 1999 Jaguar S-Type 3.0l
    NCD: Full 12+ years
    Licence: Full 12+ years, no points
    Area: Cork City Southside
    Cover: Full comp
    Renewal: €628 AXA
    Last year: €495

So. It begins! :pac:

AXA finally caved in today and beat my quote from the AA. It seems customer loyalty does pay. Me 3-0 AXA in each of the last 3 renewals i was telling them i was moving on. Now heading into my 9th consecutive year with them.

jimgoose wrote: »
    ...Renewal: €628 AXA...

€570 after the usual belt-up. That could've been a lot worse... :D

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Male, 39, full Irish licence, 6+ years NCB.
    04 focus, 1.4.

25plus came in at 497 fully comp with limited business use (€5 more than TPFT).

Last year €375 or so, also with 25plus.ie. Most other quotes at €600 or more with a couple of 4 figure quotes in there. Increase not ideal but it'll do based on the other quotes.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

Last year €414
    This year €549.

Zurich €743
    Chill €775
    Britton €706
    AA €489
    Liberty €555
    Allianz €518
    An Post €517

Thankfully 123 matched the AA, so didn't have to go through the hassle of moving.

beertons wrote: »
    What car are you driving?

Sorry, its an 08 Honda FRV.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dzwx

Male, age 34 full clean licence 10+ years and 6 years ncb
    Car 06 Bmw 525i

Last year with AIG 760E fully comp, got the renewal that looked like a phone number lol 1470,40 hahhhaa

Best option so far is FDB with 911

Will ring Aig and ask if they can match it, if not seeyaa

jimgoose wrote: »
    €570 after the usual belt-up. That could've been a lot worse... :D

You should've pressed them more. They dropped almost €400 for me in the end with no change in my cover

KC161 wrote: »
    You should've pressed them more. They dropped almost €400 for me in the end with no change in my cover

Oh I tried, not happening. I thought I did well enough with a 17-year-old ironclad, though. 'Specially since I'd beaten Three up earlier in the week to get a tenner off my cellphone charges and more data allowance. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

Male, 21, Full license for 1 year, 2 years NCB in my own name. Mother is also a named driver.

2002 Peugeot 206 1.1L

Going through coverinaclick last year, my insurance was €1070. Quoting me €1450 this year. I know premiums have gone up but could I expect any better than that?

AA quoted me €1576 but I have membership with them so was wondering how much of a discount I would get with that? (Couldn't put membership number in on the website for some reason.)

€5500 with 123.ie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

RB94 wrote: »
    Male, 21, Full license for 1 year, 2 years NCB in my own name. Mother is also a named driver.

2002 Peugeot 206 1.1L

Going through coverinaclick last year, my insurance was €1070. Quoting me €1450 this year. I know premiums have gone up but could I expect any better than that?

AA quoted me €1576 but I have membership with them so was wondering how much of a discount I would get with that? (Couldn't put membership number in on the website for some reason.)

€5500 with 123.ie :rolleyes:

I'd give AA a call, I did and it brought down my premium quite a chunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

marko93 wrote:
    I'd give AA a call, I did and it brought down my premium quite a chunk!

Ok I'll try that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Got my renewal from Axa, My quote was 6 euro more expensive than last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kh8

male
    00 skoda fabia 1.4
    license full

total 1,934

did u try coverinaclick

Advertisement