Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Male
    47 yrs old
    26 yrs full license
    Never had a claim
    07 Focus 1.4
    Liberty want €723 fully comp for renewal!!

I knew insurance had gone up,but €723 is madness.I "might" pay that if my Focus was a ST,not a poxy 1.4!!
    Time to ring around.

So I went with Aviva in the end,did it all online with them,€413 including my da as a named driver,happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Car: 141 Mazda 6 Saloon (2.1l)
    NCD: Full
    Licence: Full 10+ years, no points
    Cover: Fully comp, stepback
    Renewal Quote: e624. Eh, nah. Reduced to 572 with a call, and then 546 with a special one-off never-to-be-repeated today-only discount offer.

Other offers: 549 with Britton (who I left for AA last year) and 596 with BoI - both with higher excess. Other online quotes were in the 650+ range.

PS: to the guy who wondered if having AA membership gives a better quote with AA, I asked and was told that it doesn't, but that you get slightly better benefits with it - unlimited windscreen, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

Male, 26
    Full Irish license for less than 1 year
    1 year ncb
    04 Fiesta 1.2

Current insurer JLT Ireland
    last year: 1510 , Renewal: 1493

Best quote AA - 1399 fully comp

BOI - 1403
    FBD - 1654
    Allianz - 1488
    First Ireland - 1669
    Axa - 1483
    Liberty - 3rd party only 1174

Aviva - Unable to quote online
    One direct - Unable to quote online
    AIG - Need 2 years ncb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

corblimey wrote: »
    Car: 141 Mazda 6 Saloon (2.1l)
    Licence: Full 10+ years, no points
    Cover: Fully comp, stepback
    Renewal Quote: e624. Eh, nah. Reduced to 572 with a call, and then 546 with a special one-off never-to-be-repeated today-only discount offer.

Other offers: 549 with Britton (who I left for AA last year) and 596 with BoI - both with higher excess. Other online quotes were in the 650+ range.

PS: to the guy who wondered if having AA membership gives a better quote with AA, I asked and was told that it doesn't, but that you get slightly better benefits with it - unlimited windscreen, for example.

I'd definitely go for full bonus protection on a car of that year. regardless of what I have full NCB protection is a must! got mine only last week for 700e all extra's included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Car: 2013 ford mondeo 2 litre

Licence: Ful uk 20yrs

NCD: 20

Cover: Fully comp,no claims protected, breakdown, Mrs named driver

Price: €700 25 plus

everyone else 1k and up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

dads quote:
    Car: 2005 BMW 645ci (4.4L V8 petrol)
    License: Irish 30+ years
    Cover: Fully comp etc
    Price last year: 585ish euro
    Renewal price: 1418
    Quote from chill with liberty: 1293.31

If a 59 year old man can not drive a big engined petrol car who can? Any older and you're getting into senile stuff, any younger they can claim they're still a boy racer. This has to be the biggest increase so far posted here? 3x as much.

At this point what are we meant to do? With my astronomical 1900 eu quote and his 1300 and several refusals (age of car, 'high performance car', etc) no doubt my mothers quote will rise too as it's a blindingly fast 170bhp :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

dads quote:
    Renewal price: 1418...

That's outrageous, sir. Out-rageous! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

RB94 wrote: »
    Male, 21, Full license for 1 year, 2 years NCB in my own name. Mother is also a named driver.

2002 Peugeot 206 1.1L

Going through coverinaclick last year, my insurance was €1070. Quoting me €1450 this year. I know premiums have gone up but could I expect any better than that?

AA quoted me €1576 but I have membership with them so was wondering how much of a discount I would get with that? (Couldn't put membership number in on the website for some reason.)

€5500 with 123.ie :rolleyes:

€1330 with the AA in the end. Broker said they couldn't go any lower than €1410.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Car: 05 volvo-s80 2.4 D5

Licence: Full 15+ years, no points

Prev Cover: Fully comp, protected @€;470(up from 390 in 2014)

Best quote: €640- AA online, insurer unknown
    Other quotes: €890- Chill, Fbd

Went for: Changed tact and got TPFT with AA, with AA membership, for 610

The joys of an 11 year old barge!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Wifes Insurance - 42, 20+ yrs no claims, no convictions penalties etc, full licence etc etc in Louth
    Car - Renault grand scenic 2011
    Last Year - 370
    Renewal -497 Fully comp.
    With - Aviva
    Best - BOI - 433
    Called Aviva and they dropped it by 15 euro to 482, broke their hearts.

Looks like BOI for this yr then

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I just got mine with BOI too, 460. Aaran only dropped to 510 from 585, so I said good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

County: Louth

Car: 2003 Toyota Avensis 1.6

NCD: 30 years (if only it counted).

Licence: Full 28+ years, no points.

Cover: Fully comp, protected

Current Premium: €546 with FBD.

Renewal Date: 20th May.

No price yet from FBD. So far most listed on here all over €800 including BOI €859, AA €980 and 123.ie €950. Best fo far is Britton at €714. Fingers crossed for FBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

dads quote:

If a 59 year old man can not drive a big engined petrol car who can? Any older and you're getting into senile stuff, any younger they can claim they're still a boy racer. This has to be the biggest increase so far posted here? 3x as much.

At this point what are we meant to do? With my astronomical 1900 eu quote and his 1300 and several refusals (age of car, 'high performance car', etc) no doubt my mothers quote will rise too as it's a blindingly fast 170bhp :rolleyes:

Rich people :pac:

But no seriously, I would love to arrange a boycott of this cr*p and destroy their businesses. Costs have increased but not that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

OttoPilot wrote: »
    Rich people :pac:

But no seriously, I would love to arrange a boycott of this cr*p and destroy their businesses. Costs have increased but not that much.

They are due to rise dramatically again over the next year. It was a hot topic in Dail Eireann yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

County: Louth

Car: 2003 Toyota Avensis 1.6

NCD: 30 years (if only it counted).

Licence: Full 28+ years, no points.

Cover: Fully comp, protected

Current Premium: €546 with FBD.

Renewal Date: 20th May.

No price yet from FBD. So far most listed on here all over €800 including BOI €859, AA €980 and 123.ie €950. Best fo far is Britton at €714. Fingers crossed for FBD.

Almost exactly the same details,except my avensis is a 2005,

Last years premium was 400 euro,with FBD,renewal was 566 :(

Cheapest anywhere else was 714

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

M 61, 40 years no claims
    Car Avensis 2.0 Dsl (2006)
    1 named driver U25 full license for 6 years

Last year 710 FBD
    Renewal 960

Best Quote Liberty 650 TP/F&T , Full NCB Protection , Glass breakage & Breakdown Assist .... Bye bye FBD

(highest AXA 1800) !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Gender - M

County - Monaghan

Age - 22

Licence - Provisional (Just passed)

Cover - 3rd Party

Had my first quote at €3800 with AXA on a 1.2 Fiat Grande Punto.
    Gonna have to shop around a bit more so does anyone know any that'd be cheaper?

Tried getting a quote with a Grandparent as the main driver and me as a named driver. None were willing to insure.
    Maybe I was going about the named driver angle wrong? I was planning on having my Grandmother put the car in her name and me as a named driver but AXA,Aviva and Liberty had a bunch of different reasons for not insuring.

Does her having another car in her name have any effect? Aviva said they weren't allowed to insure her since she already had another car insured with AXA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Gender - M

County - Monaghan

Age - 22

Licence - Provisional (Just passed)

Cover - 3rd Party

Had my first quote at €3800 with AXA on a 1.2 Fiat Grande Punto.
    Gonna have to shop around a bit more so does anyone know any that'd be cheaper?

Tried getting a quote with a Grandparent as the main driver and me as a named driver. None were willing to insure.
    Maybe I was going about the named driver angle wrong? I was planning on having my Grandmother put the car in her name and me as a named driver but AXA,Aviva and Liberty had a bunch of different reasons for not insuring.

Does her having another car in her name have any effect? Aviva said they weren't allowed to insure her since she already had another car insured with AXA.

What you are trying to do is known as fronting and is a type of insurance fraud, companies are well wise to it at this stage.

Have you tried boxymo?

By all accounts they are decent for first time drivers.

You are better trying brokers than insurance companies directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

@Mr. Blobby. My details above. My cheapest now is €650 with First Ireland and AXA quoted me €2,200. As said try a broker, Britton was next best for me at €714.

What you are trying to do is known as fronting and is a type of insurance fraud, companies are well wise to it at this stage.

Have you tried boxymo?

You are better trying brokers than insurance companies directly.
    @Mr. Blobby. My details above. My cheapest now is €650 with First Ireland and AXA quoted me €2,200. As said try a broker, Britton was next best for me at €714.

This Broker thing is new to me.
    Could someone give me a basic idea?

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    This Broker thing is new to me.
    Could someone give me a basic idea?

A broker represents a number of insurers so you only need to give them your details once and they can check with multiple companies.

They also tend to have access to more niche insurance products that may suit first time drivers better.

Some of the larger ones include Chill or Quote Devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

A broker represents a number of insurers so you only need to give them your details once and they can check with multiple companies.

They also tend to have access to more niche insurance products that may suit first time drivers better.

Some of the larger ones include Chill or Quote Devil.

Could it ever be that one insurance company represented by a broker is more expensive that going straight to that particular insurer?

If yes: Why?

If no: How can an insurance broker offer this lower quote?

job seeker wrote: »
    Could it ever be that one insurance company represented by a broker is more expensive that going straight to that particular insurer?

If yes: Why?

If no: How can an insurance broker offer this lower quote?

Yep, its often the case.

Depending on the relationship between the broker and insurer there may be additional discounts being applied, different criteria etc.

The most common reason (i believe) for a premium deviation is the use of different systems.

Most brokers operate off a system called Relay.

This is a more straight forward quote engine.

Going directly to insurers means you are being quoted directly through their quote engine and would be subject to much more in depth analytics and statistical data that they have so a risk that is acceptable through the more basic system may not be acceptable through the advanced one.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I may be just unlucky but chill have never managed to get me the cheapest quote.

This thread is great. I've collected a list of 20 site to try when my insurance is due in July. Have to turn off the mobile though. I don't understand why they ring.

I check a site.
    Find that their quote is not the cheapest so I move on.
    They ring and ask if I need help.
    I tell them I found cheaper. 99% of the time they say there's nothing they can do. Don't ring then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Just put in a fake number when you are shopping around. Can use a throwaway email account too http://www.throwawaymail.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

dads quote:

If a 59 year old man can not drive a big engined petrol car who can?

Me: Male, mid-30's, Dublin, BMW 645ci (4.4L V8 petrol)... under €900 from AIG through 25plus.ie

Have you tried boxymo?

Cheers for this.
    Just got a online quote of €1800 which isn't too bad. Will call them later to see if I can get a better price over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

smash wrote: »
    Me: Male, mid-30's, Dublin, BMW 645ci (4.4L V8 petrol)... under €900 from AIG through 25plus.ie

might be a good idea to compare occupations as they can make the difference and if their is more than one description that could describe your job then compare them.

Like if you say your occupation is housewife its one price and if you say unemployed it another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

What's more worrying is that you have 30 years experience and Mr. Blobby is on a provisional and you are both getting ridiculous quotes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

smash wrote: »

that's much more like it, my dad has worked his way mostly through the list I have him of axa, rsa, zurich, chill, britton, aa, liberty, allianz, an post, 123.ie, one direct, fbd, and boi, best quote so far was 1100 with liberty I think

I'll get him to do one with aig / 25plus. 25plus weren't on my list because I'd been thinking of myself. He should easily be under 900 then too

Advertisement