Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Was with no nonsense last year at €500. All companies looking between €740-€900 for 34/M/2L diesel saloon. Full irish for over 10 years. Never had a claim and have no points.

Blood is f@cking boiling here!! Once again, we pay to supplement the arsehole of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

No Nonsense

Gender. Male

Age. 35

Licence. 7 years. Full.

NCB. 9 years.

Car. 2002 s60 Petrol 2l

Points. 0

Cover Required. Third Party

Last year: €440

Renew Quote. €1536

What a pack of ****

Did you talk to them about this?! How do they justify a 300% increase?!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jduffy3

Gender. Male
    Age. 31
    Licence. 2 years. Full.
    NCB. 0 years.
    Car. 2005 1.4 Toyota Corolla Diesel

Points. 3 - No previous insurance I was renting and was caught speeding on motorway :(

Generally ringing around no one will take me.
    Lowest quote I found was with Axa for about 3,800 :((((((

Found a "cheap" quote with Britton brokers on above car (which I didn't know at the time was a UK import) for 1,308. Is it possible to insure with a UK company for a year? The car already had an Irish reg but they were getting quotes from a UK provider? Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to buy a car but will not go anywhere near it if I have to pay 4k for the 4k I've saved for the car!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Did you talk to them about this?! How do they justify a 300% increase?!

Nononsense have ceased trading.

They are owned by FBD and have not been writing new policies for the last number of months.

The existing policy holders are being offered renewal terms based on FBD's criteria rather than NN's.

NN offered a much more "no frills" approach to insurance where everything was an additional cost such as windscreen cover, breakdown assist, people could essentially pick and choose their optional extras.

FBD have all the extras included as standard.

Their acceptance criteria is also much more conservative than NN which means their pricing is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭herrdood

Female
    15 years license and NCB

2015 in a €3000 car = €318.67

2015 same cover in a 20K car = €610.34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Nononsense have ceased trading.

They are owned by FBD and have not been writing new policies for the last number of months.

The existing policy holders are being offered renewal terms based on FBD's criteria rather than NN's.

NN offered a much more "no frills" approach to insurance where everything was an additional cost such as windscreen cover, breakdown assist, people could essentially pick and choose their optional extras.

FBD have all the extras included as standard.

Their acceptance criteria is also much more conservative than NN which means their pricing is more.

I could get a lot of windscreen cover for the extra 1100, I had the same "extras" as the FBD policy they just had a slightly lower quote than the FBD renwal who I was with the year before, which had been 300.

Renewals are not competitive as they know some people will not be bothered shopping around and will just pay it. **** it, I've beaten the same renewal quote from the same company just by re-entering my details again.

If it was a numbers game it would come up with the same quote. They try to squeeze you for every penny they can get.

You talk a good talk trying to rationalise it, but you can't.

It's a **** off would ya quote, plain and simple.

It's a closed shop, they can do what they want.

I could get a lot of windscreen cover for the extra 1100, I had the same "extras" as the FBD policy they just had a slightly lower quote than the FBD renwal who I was with the year before, which had been 300.

Renewals are not competitive as they know some people will not be bothered shopping around and will just pay it. **** it, I've beaten the same renewal quote from the same company just by re-entering my details again.

If it was a numbers game it would come up with the same quote. They try to squeeze you for every penny they can get.

You talk a good talk trying to rationalise it, but you can't.

It's a **** off would ya quote, plain and simple.

It's a closed shop, they can do what they want.

I didn't say it wasn't a PFO quote, did I?

I just explained what was happening with NN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

It's a pity NN is gone. I'll probably be getting rubbish renewal quotes with FBD's criteria :(

Having said that, NN's policy was complete rubbish with the excess being like €750 (if I recall correctly), but that's cheap insurance for ya! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭rn

I must preface this quote in saying that I decided to look into getting a 2nd "summer" car. I was looking at a petrol 1.8T Audi A4 Cabriolet. However I need to keep my diesel 1.9 Golf for commuting, general tipping about etc. So the Audi is a purely 2nd car that I will drive at weekends.

FBD

Gender. Male

Age. 36

Licence. 15 years Full

NCB. 0 - new policy. (15 on my main car that can't be shared/transferred)

Car. 2005 Audi A4 cabriolet

Points. 0

Cover Required. Third party, Fire and theft

Last year: N/A

This year: Would not quote on a "new" second policy. I need to have 3 years+ NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

I didn't say it wasn't a PFO quote, did I?

I just explained what was happening with NN.

You weren't very clear if that's what you were saying then.

The previous comment was how did they justify the increase.

Your response was directly to that, you were explaining how they would.

That's how it reads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

rn wrote: »
    ...This year: Would not quote on a "new" second policy. I need to have 3 years+ NCB

I find this kind of thing absolutely outrageous and enraging beyond belief, the way these insurance knobjockeys effectively block a well-seasoned grown man from driving a second weekend toy. They'd want an awful batin'!! :mad:

My uncle, who's 70, was recently canoodled into paying €900 - twice what it was last year - for his 1999 Mercedes C180 saloon. Pity I didn't hear about it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

FBD

Gender. Male

Age. 29

Licence. 1 year full, two years total.

NCB. 2

Car. 2003 Skoda Superb 1.9TDI 130bhp model.

Points. 0

Cover Required. Third party, Fire and theft

Last year: 840 for a 1.6 01 Golf.

This year: 1771.

I'm fuming but reading this thread seems like i'll get off lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

just got a quote of 650 for my insurance this year. happy with that. i was expecting much worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Goggin Insurance Broker

Asgard

20 Year old male

No Named Experience.

2200 with parents also named on the policy

2002 Toyota Yaris 1.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Car: 11 Audi A4 1.8

NCD: 1

Licence: Provisional 2 years, no points

Cover: Fully comp (have both parents with 30 odd years driving between them with same amount of no claims bonus)

Best quote: €1211 - Boxymo.ie

Chuffed with that, don't care if they monitor my driving, I very rarely speed and would actually consider myself a decent driver. :)

Certainly beats the other quote ranges I was offered!! 4000-7000!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Hi guys,

quick question around insurance, if im not in the right section Mods can move... thanks

So Im insured driver on my own car and my GF is insured as named driver, I have since got a new car and going to give my GF the old one (she is insured on). my question is, if I was to sign the log book over to herself does that affect the insurance?

second thinking im sure it will as I will be named driver on a car I dont own...

fitzparker wrote: »
    Hi guys,

quick question around insurance, if im not in the right section Mods can move... thanks

So Im insured driver on my own car and my GF is insured as named driver, I have since got a new car and going to give my GF the old one (she is insured on). my question is, if I was to sign the log book over to herself does that affect the insurance?

second thinking im sure it will as I will be named driver on a car I dont own...

Yes.

She will have to insure the car in her own name.

If you are no longer the registered owner of a car then you are not supposed to insure it. If anything happened the car it would not be covered by your insurance policy.

What are you doing with the new car insurance wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Yes.

She will have to insure the car in her own name.

If you are no longer the registered owner of a car then you are not supposed to insure it. If anything happened the car it would not be covered by your insurance policy.

What are you doing with the new car insurance wise?

Yeah your right. Not really sure what I was asking. Im Going to get her insured in her own name with old car( sign car over to her). Take her off the above policy and move the new car over. So much rig maroll!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

fitzparker wrote: »
    Yeah your right. Not really sure what I was asking. Im Going to get her insured in her own name with old car( sign car over to her). Take her off the above policy and move the new car over. So much rig maroll!
    Even though we both have our own cars both insured in our own names he wasn't insured to drive my car (I was named on his policy anyway) so I had to add him as named driver on mine,he had being driving it a lot before this came up in a conversation and we rang and asked about it (both fully comp policies also).

Even though it cost me to add him last year when I asked about removing his name this year (out of curiosity) they told me that would increase the cost...honestly I think they make it up as they go along sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

I had a fantastic turn of events the other evening! I came home to find a letter from Close Brothers, the finance company who deal with Its4Women to a "change in my payment schedule" reflecting a change of 40euro less than I was meant to pay each month..

Rang Close Brothers on Friday morning to double check that this all wasn't some huge mistake and I was informed that Its4Women had contacted them to tell them to reduce my policy by 300euro for the year!! I was told that they didn't know why this was but often the insurance companies do this. Obviously I'm not complaining but has something like this ever happened anyone else? I'm more surprised because I only switched over to Its4Women last month and have so far only paid one installment in the bigger amount!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

smeal wrote: »
    I had a fantastic turn of events the other evening! I came home to find a letter from Close Brothers, the finance company who deal with Its4Women to a "change in my payment schedule" reflecting a change of 40euro less than I was meant to pay each month..

Rang Close Brothers on Friday morning to double check that this all wasn't some huge mistake and I was informed that Its4Women had contacted them to tell them to reduce my policy by 300euro for the year!! I was told that they didn't know why this was but often the insurance companies do this. Obviously I'm not complaining but has something like this ever happened anyone else? I'm more surprised because I only switched over to Its4Women last month and have so far only paid one installment in the bigger amount!

My wife had something similar but it came with a letter explaining that an audit had shown up that the insurance company were charging for something they couldn't pay out on because my wife didn't qualify for that part of the cover (step back iirc).

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

jduffy3 wrote: »
    Gender. Male
    Age. 31
    Licence. 2 years. Full.
    NCB. 0 years.
    Car. 2005 1.4 Toyota Corolla Diesel

Points. 3 - No previous insurance I was renting and was caught speeding on motorway :(

Generally ringing around no one will take me.
    Lowest quote I found was with Axa for about 3,800 :((((((

Found a "cheap" quote with Britton brokers on above car (which I didn't know at the time was a UK import) for 1,308. Is it possible to insure with a UK company for a year? The car already had an Irish reg but they were getting quotes from a UK provider? Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to buy a car but will not go anywhere near it if I have to pay 4k for the 4k I've saved for the car!!!!

Insurance don't take any notice of points until you get 4 or over ( Two average road traffic offences )

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Insurance don't take any notice of points until you get 4 or over ( Two average road traffic offences )

Dunno if that's correct. I've 2 points on my license (speeding).
    On getting a quote with Aviva I got quoted one price. When I went back and removed the points (to see if there was any difference) it was €50 cheaper.

Not true, I have a loading of €46 on my annual insurance for having 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

Not true, I have a loading of €46 on my annual insurance for having 2 points.

Really? My friend went though at least 3 insurers with points under 4 and they said that doesn't make a difference at all until you go past 4. His renewal even went down a year ago. And when I researched it I found out it was true as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Really? My friend went though at least 3 insurers with points under 4 and they said that doesn't make a difference at all until you go past 4. His renewal even went down a year ago. And when I researched it I found out it was true as far as I can remember.

From what I see of these things, people who get points on a regular basis seem to know the companies that ignore them.

Mate of mine was up on six points for a while, keeps a running balance of about three/four now for as long as I have known her and has little in the way of extra loadings. Think she was with Quinn/Liberty.

Not sure what she is paying these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

County: Louth
    Car: 2003 Toyota Avensis 1.6
    NCD: 30 years (if only it counted).
    Licence: Full 28+ years, no points.
    Cover: Fully comp, protected
    Current Premium: €546 with FBD.

No price yet from FBD. So far most listed on here all over €800 including BOI €859, AA €980 and 123.ie €950. Best fo far is Britton at €714. Fingers crossed for FBD.
    FBD renewal was €783.98 so they can shove it where the mice wont get at it. First Ireland had quoted €650 on April 21st but my hair has grown since then :rolleyes: so it went up to €680 but I took it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Maybe someone here can offer some help!
    My partner has moved here from Austria, she's got a full eu license, 25 been driving for 3 years.
    She was insured over there on her dads license, but not as a named driver.
    She hasn't got a car yet, but would be looking at something with a 1.2 or under, so far she has been quoted 5/6k if she even gets a quote!
    I would say its unbelievable but from what I've been reading it seems that outrageous prices are getting all the more common.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

try www.its4women.ie. Knocked 60 Euro off my Liberty premium - which had gone up by 150 for no apparent reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Hi, trying to get insurance for a 21 yr old female, provisional licence, first time driver. Other than Boxymo can anyone recommend where I should begin?

Advertisement