Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

chancer12 wrote: »
    try www.its4women.ie. Knocked 60 Euro off my Liberty premium - which had gone up by 150 for no apparent reason

She tried them, wouldn't quote her!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

Burgo wrote: »
    Maybe someone here can offer some help!
    My partner has moved here from Austria, she's got a full eu license, 25 been driving for 3 years.
    She was insured over there on her dads license, but not as a named driver.
    She hasn't got a car yet, but would be looking at something with a 1.2 or under, so far she has been quoted 5/6k if she even gets a quote!
    I would say its unbelievable but from what I've been reading it seems that outrageous prices are getting all the more common.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Kennco was very good to me when I came to Ireland 2 years ago - still pricey, but at least affordable pricey. Their renewal was more than other offers I'd gotten the second year so I didn't renew with them but for someone with "no history" give them a shout. Call, their online system doesn't really work.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

you might also try Cornmarket.ie. They're insurance brokers and the deal with all types of insurance. They didn't get me the best price this year (it was its4women) but it was pretty close and I've used them previously for health insurance also. The good thing about them is that you will actually get to speak to someone and can then have a conversation around options - which won't happen online! Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Thanks for the suggestions chancer12 and bisounours, will give them a try and hopefully post back here with some better news.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If she's going to be here indefinitely, it might be worth exchanging her licence. I hear stories about people getting better insurance rates when they do so. It might be a question when shopping around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

cantdecide wrote: »
    If she's going to be here indefinitely, it might be worth exchanging her licence. I hear stories about people getting better insurance rates when they do so. It might be a question when shopping around.

Wouldn't that be be law anyway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

cantdecide wrote: »

Wouldn't that be be law anyway ?

You can hold on to your EU licence for as long as it is valid. I did swap my "lifetime" French licence for an Irish one and it made quite a few hundred euros difference. What they do ask, interestingly enough, is how long you have lived in UK or Ireland. I expect those under a certain number of years will get higher quotes as they will assume the driver may not have much experience driving on this side of the road.

bisounours wrote: »
    You can hold on to your EU licence for as long as it is valid. I did swap my "lifetime" French licence for an Irish one and it made quite a few hundred euros difference. What they do ask, interestingly enough, is how long you have lived in UK or Ireland. I expect those under a certain number of years will get higher quotes as they will assume the driver may not have much experience driving on this side of the road.
    I'm still using my uk licence
    13 years and no problems so far
    3 points pending when I eventually change to the Irish licence
    I wonder if uk licence matters with insurance quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭cailin.

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice re insurance quotes I've recieved.

I'm on a Learner Permit due to sit my full test in 3 weeks however just purchased an 05 Fiesta and need to have it unsured. I've 6 months named driver experience and no additional driving history. So as you can imagine, my insurance quotes have been extortinate.

I've spent a full week shopping around. The big companies (liberty, AA, AXA Allianz etc are quoting between 3100, 3600 for fully comprehensive) have tried First Irekand, quoteme, topquote etc...gone almost everywhere at this stage.

I've received a quote of 1799 from AIG via Chill, however this is for 14000km policy with a tracking device installed. I haven't gone near Boxymo due to feedback and reviews.
    I've also gotten a 2,700 fully comprehensive quote from coverinaclick.ie which is tempting due to the lack of mileage restriction. At this stage I just need my car insured as I'm collecting it tomorrow.

No idea what to do! Any advice?

cailin. wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm on a Learner Permit due to sit my full test in 3 weeks however just purchased an 05 Fiesta and need to have it unsured. I've 6 months named driver experience and no additional driving history. So as you can imagine, my insurance quotes have been extortinate.

I've spent a full week shopping around. The big companies (liberty, AA, AXA Allianz etc are quoting between 3100, 3600 for fully comprehensive) have tried First Irekand, quoteme, topquote etc...gone almost everywhere at this stage.

I've received a quote of 1799 from AIG via Chill, however this is for 14000km policy with a tracking device installed. I haven't gone near Boxymo due to feedback and reviews.
    I've also gotten a 2,700 fully comprehensive quote from coverinaclick.ie which is tempting due to the lack of mileage restriction. At this stage I just need my car insured as I'm collecting it tomorrow.

Why do you want fully comp on a 05 fiesta ?

• Advertisement

Why do you want fully comp on a 05 fiesta ?

That's what's being recommended. Would TPFT be sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Hi,

Would you really do more than 14000 km, unless your a travelling salesman or have to drive really long distances that should be sufficient. That covers you for 40km a day.

JamboMac wrote: »
    Would you really do more than 14000 km, unless your a travelling salesman or have to drive really long distances that should be sufficient. That covers you for 40km a day.

Not initially. AIG won't cover me should I use the car for work purposes. Looks like it's TPFT with coverinaclick for 2350!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Not initially. AIG won't cover me should I use the car for work purposes. Looks like it's TPFT with coverinaclick for 2350!

Try Goggins Insurance Broker and FirstIreland.

40km a day is nothing, if I go to the supermarket and back I've done that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Where do you live, i can probably do it in under 3km for supermarket to to house and thats not the closest one to me.

Where do you live, i can probably do it in under 3km for supermarket to to house and thats not the closest one to me.

I live in cork in the middle of nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Yeah but if you're doing it every day for 365 days a year you should be looking in to that :)

Yeah but if you're doing it every day for 365 days a year you should be looking in to that :)

No point having a car and just looking at it
    It's there to be driven

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsparkle69

Car: 00 Mercedes A-Class 1.4
    Licence: Provisional 3 years, no points
    NCD: 2 years
    Cover: TPFT
    Renewal quote: €1313.20 with Axa.

Last year was just over €1400 so there is a saving of a 100, not much but glad it hasn't gone up. Reading quotes from other people on this thread had me worried.

My policy includes my partner as a named driver too. I tried to see would it be cheaper with him as the main driver, me as named driver but its more expensive. He has 9 years full EU licence, 5 years NCB, no points/convictions or anything. Any idea why its more expensive?

Going to shop around anyway and see can any one beat it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I live in cork in the middle of nowhere

I'm a Cork man myself firestarter,what part generally? Say Glenville to Ballyvolane,which would be the nearest big supermarket,would at least be that distance return.

Try Goggins Insurance Broker and FirstIreland.

Thanks for this. First Ireland offered me 10% discount as driving instructor was insured with them and also a 1 year no claims bonus. Fully comprehensive and open policy for 2550, and following the reciept of my full license they will refund difference based on rates at the time. Still extortionate but better than the €3000+ I was getting all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Car: 2006 Opel 1.6
    Licence: Full Irish 2 years, no points.
    Cover: Fully comp, protected
    Current Premium: €1150 with AXA.
    Renewals: 1300 cheapest I found so far. Tried Kennco, AXA, 123, AIG and Liberty :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Car: 2006 Opel 1.6
    Licence: Full Irish 2 years, no points.
    Current Premium: €1150 with AXA.
    Renewals: 1300 cheapest I found so far. Tried Kennco, AXA, 123, AIG and Liberty :(

Have you tried the Bank of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

No I haven't. Will check BOI now for online quote. But I am not their customer, does it matter?
    I tried BOI now.
    It says we can't give you quote online. Call us!
    Blue850 wrote: »
    Have you tried the Bank of Ireland?

KC161 wrote: »
    I'm a Cork man myself firestarter,what part generally? Say Glenville to Ballyvolane,which would be the nearest big supermarket,would at least be that distance return.

I'm not too far from Glenville
    There is nothing local only Barry's shop lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I'm not too far from Glenville
    There is nothing local only Barry's shop lol

I know Barry's well. You couldn't do a full weekly shop in there. So Dunnes in Ballyvolane or Super Valu or Aldi in Fermoy would be the nearest supermarkets to you unless you do Tesco online shopping. In any event any of those options are more than 40kms return.

I know very few people in this day and age that do that little mileage in their car unless it is an elderly person only going to the local and back.

Car insurance will only get worse, as i read here before, soon any quote under €1000 will be excellent value for money.

The Government won't change the law to encourage claims to be settled out of court and reduce legal fees as some of their buddies are big wigs,like Michael McDowell will lose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Car: 2013 BMW 320d sport
    NCD: 6+ years (according to my current cert, but it should be higher, need to check that out)
    Licence: Full Irish 8 years, no points
    Current Premium: €450 with 123.ie (RSA)
    Renewals: Renewal quote of €670 from 123.ie. Online quotes coming in around €800 - €1,000. AA have proposed €655 online, but I need Class I indemnity for work, so need to talk them

I thought €670 was a big increase from last year, until I started ringing around. Turns out that it's a quite competitive quote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

dudara wrote: »
    Car: 2013 BMW 320d sport
    NCD: 6+ years
    Licence: Full Irish 8 years, no points
    Current Premium: €450 with 123.ie (RSA)
    Renewals: Renewal quote of €670 from 123.ie. Online quotes coming in around €800 - €1,000. AA have proposed €655 online, but I need Class I indemnity for work, so need to talk them

I thought €670 was a big increase from last year, until I started ringing around. Turns out that it's a quite competitive quote

AA are pretty good at matching their online quotes if you speak to a rep.
    I got a good quote from them, but wanted to run through a few queries. The guy I spoke was able to match the online one easily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ok lads here's one for you all to help me get my head around. I got my astronomical quote of 1785 which I went with. They offered to let me pay a 'deposit' and 9 months of one hundred and something euro. Does it cost the same I asked, yes, ok I'll do that so.

Just got 2 letters today, both from close brothers premium finance, who the **** are you. but ok.

One of them is a confirmation of the setup of a direct debit.

The other one outlines the costs.

less deposit 535.63
    total premium 1,249.80
    ADD PROJECTED INTEREST 26.89%ARP 112.48 (WHAT THE **** YOU ****ING ****S)
    total amount payable to us 1,362.28

1,785.43+112.48 = 1897.91

Surely this is either fraud or some predatory bull****. I asked specifically if it cost the same and they said yeah it's a deposit of 5xx and xxx per month for 9 months, ok I didn't get out the ****ing calculator but surely they should have said NO if you opt to pay it out over a few months it will be at 26.89% APR

Advertisement