Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Ok lads here's one for you all to help me get my head around. I got my astronomical quote of 1785 which I went with. They offered to let me pay a 'deposit' and 9 months of one hundred and something euro. Does it cost the same I asked, yes, ok I'll do that so.

Just got 2 letters today, both from close brothers premium finance, who the **** are you. but ok.

One of them is a confirmation of the setup of a direct debit.

The other one outlines the costs.

less deposit 535.63
    total premium 1,249.80
    ADD PROJECTED INTEREST 26.89%ARP 112.48 (WHAT THE **** YOU ****ING ****S)
    total amount payable to us 1,362.28

1,785.43+112.48 = 1897.91

Surely this is either fraud or some predatory bull****. I asked specifically if it cost the same and they said yeah it's a deposit of 5xx and xxx per month for 9 months, ok I didn't get out the ****ing calculator but surely they should have said NO if you opt to pay it out over a few months it will be at 26.89% APR

It is normal for there to be a charge if you pay by installments.

I work that out to be c. 9% interest, which isn't bad for an unsecured loan. (112/[1785-535]) = ~9%

They are running a risk on you not paying, and the insurance company is getting paid in full by the finance house.

You should have been told about the charge (I normally pay by direct debit and either just get an upfront extra loading or a small cost of funds charge), but the practice is not unusual.

Who was the company, out of interest? I'm assuming it was through a broker as the bigger companies normally offer the credit themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

chill.. I must have been delirious on the day from the previous 2 hours of insurance calls because I've ended up paying 1900 euro for the most barebones cover which ever existed and have lost driving of other cars since last year

9% interest is pretty bad considering if I were to not pay they would just cancel my cover and maybe lose out on a month of payments.

it's a ****ing scam, they never said 9% or 26% apr on the phone because I would have just paid in full. On some of the documents my premium is listed as 1700 (pre levy) and 1900 (post levy and interest)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

chill.. I must have been delirious on the day from the previous 2 hours of insurance calls because I've ended up paying 1900 euro for the most barebones cover which ever existed and have lost driving of other cars since last year

9% interest is pretty bad considering if I were to not pay they would just cancel my cover and maybe lose out on a month of payments.

it's a ****ing scam, they never said 9% or 26% apr on the phone because I would have just paid in full. On some of the documents my premium is listed as 1700 (pre levy) and 1900 (post levy and interest)

afaik you have 14 days to cancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

769, Octavia VRS TDI. Up from 537 last year. I think I'll move to Belfast

my3cents wrote: »
    afaik you have 14 days to cancel.

Yep, distance selling directive lets you do this.
    Cancel and then pay in full, just make sure that you have your quote in place before you cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My Mother's renewal came in this week, been trying to get some reasonable quotes for her.

Full license for around 20 years.
    Full NCB.
    No points.
    Car is a 2006 1.4 Opel Astra.

My Brother is a named driver on the car.
    Full license for almost 7 years.
    3 points.

Renewal with FBD was €1350 for TPFT. It was €900ish last year. It's my brother that always brings up the insurance cost as he's still fairly young.

Quotes I got so far were:
    Liberty: €984.72 TPFT
    AA: €720.47 Fully Comp
    Asgard: € 1,805.54 TPFT
    123.ie: €1,464.89 TPFT
    Britton: €2440.25 :eek: Edit: Just realised I said the car was 2005 instead of 2006. Changed it to 2006 and got €1796.72 (wtf?!). TPFT
    BOI: €1218.02 TPFT
    Axa would not quote.

Will be AA I'd say, will try some more! FBD could go down, doubt it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Is it true older cars like 2006 model is more costly to insure compared to 2013 same model?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Is it true older cars like 2006 model is more costly to insure compared to 2013 same model?

Yes. If, like me, you have a seventeen-year-old Hispano-Suiza powered by an early version of Newcomen's Nodding Donkey you'll have to pay eleventy billion dolla. Or €570, whichever comes first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Got a quote from BOI 3 weeks ago on a 13yr old Passat.
    Prestige policy, fully comp with the extra NCD protection option for €510 .
    (I am a BOI customer)

I went with the quote straight away even though I had a month to sort out something.

Just put in the same details just now for the craic & its gone up by €80.

I was with 25plus last year for €515 and my renewal this year would have been €660.
    Everyone else would have been €900 and up.

A big thanks to everyone posting about BOI in this thread btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Just wondering can you get any phone quotes at weekend?...
    As it seems they are more accurate than online ones...is that the case?

Would insurance on a 2008 Skoda Superb 1.9l TDI be any higher than on a 2008 Skoda Octavia 1.9l TDI?...
    Male,clean licence for Donkeys years,Full no claims discount,no penalty points...
    Thanks for any replies.

• Advertisement

ezra_ wrote: »
    Yep, distance selling directive lets you do this.
    Cancel and then pay in full, just make sure that you have your quote in place before you cancel.

Does it matter that I've already paid the deposit? And liberty seem to have a 50 euro cancellation fee.. I'll see if I can clear the 'loan' early before any interest is accrued

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Just wondering can you get any phone quotes at weekend?...
    As it seems they are more accurate than online ones...is that the case?
    <snip>
    You'll get AA till 3pm today. Phone:(01) 617 9999

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

You'll get AA till 3pm today. Phone:(01) 617 9999

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭magnavox

Does anyone know of any insurers offering discounts for running a dash cam? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I haven't seen it here on my hunt for quotes only seen it in UK with Swiftcover offering 12.5% discount and that's for Nextbase cams as far as I can see. I'm paid up for this year but I'd like to see it next year. No doubt there'll be a stipulation that it has to be professionally fitted by a vegetarian electrical engineer from Wexford over 35. :rolleyes: More here

P.S. I think and hope it'll make news here if it happens and you'll not doubt see it on here.

Does it matter that I've already paid the deposit? And liberty seem to have a 50 euro cancellation fee.. I'll see if I can clear the 'loan' early before any interest is accrued

No, I'm pretty sure that you have the right to cancel within 14 days of the offer being accepted by you, or when the cover starts (whichever is earliest)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mccabe96

where would be the cheapest for me to go? i'll be getting a 2006-2008 fiat punto 1.4 ,, doing my theory on Tuesday then 12 lessons then looking for insurance, 19 years old. Male

Mccabe96 wrote: »
    where would be the cheapest for me to go? i'll be getting a 2006-2008 fiat punto 1.4 ,, doing my theory on Tuesday then 12 lessons then looking for insurance, 19 years old. Male

save yourself the world of pain and get a 1 litre, 1.4 might as well be rocket propelled when you're 19 in the eyes of insurers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Go with the 1.2 version.
    Try Boxymo for a quote.

save yourself the world of pain and get a 1 litre, 1.4 might as well be rocket propelled when you're 19 in the eyes of insurers

I've been on Chill.ie , prices 3,000+ .. Little to no difference for a 1.0, 1.2 and a 1.4 to be honest, 200-400 euro only

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Go with the 1.2 version.
    Try Boxymo for a quote.

I was on their website and couldn't get a quote, kept saying we can't give a quote..

I was on their website and couldn't get a quote, kept saying we can't give a quote..

Give them a call.
    If I had to guess you'll be looking at €2300 on a 07 Grande Punto. Assuming you're on a provisional.

Give them a call.
    If I had to guess you'll be looking at €2300 on a 07 Grande Punto. Assuming you're on a provisional.

I'll give them a call once I get my theory test sorted on Tuesday and then get my lessons done then i'm going to be sorting insurance and a car, if the credit union can give me a loan. haha cheers mate

I'll give them a call once I get my theory test sorted on Tuesday and then get my lessons done then i'm going to be sorting insurance and a car, if the credit union can give me a loan. haha cheers mate

We'll I'm 23 and have just done my theory and had a online quote for €1900 on a 1.2 08 Punto.

I imagine yours will be similar.

We'll I'm 23 and have just done my theory and had a online quote for €1900 on a 1.2 08 Punto.

I imagine yours will be similar.

Its ridiculous money, its all a money racket with these companies. Did you think the Theory test was easy? I've been using the app more to practice it and it's been a piece of cake but when I use the CD on my laptop I seem to struggle with them and fail more times than I pass it, also been using GoDotDrive it's a study site to help you with the theory, what did you use the most to study before you took your test?

Its ridiculous money, its all a money racket with these companies. Did you think the Theory test was easy? I've been using the app more to practice it and it's been a piece of cake but when I use the CD on my laptop I seem to struggle with them and fail more times than I pass it, also been using GoDotDrive it's a study site to help you with the theory, what did you use the most to study before you took your test?

I used the CD on my computer. Found it pretty straightforward but I did have to revise. Most of the questions are common sense with a few tricky ones thrown I'm for good measure.

I'd recommend sticking with the CD since its identical to the theory exam.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Car: '04 Mazda RX8
    NCD: 5 years (max that current insurer gives)
    Licence: Full licence for 8 years
    Cover: Fully comp. Fully protected
    Current Premium: €589 with Allianz
    Renewals: €739 with Allianz. Other quotes are €1200+ :eek: Thought the increase was mad. Max insurance I've ever paid before last year, even on provisional, was €550 and paying €700+ on a 12 year old car seems mad to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

jenizzle wrote: »
    Car: '04 Mazda RX8
    NCD: 5 years (max that current insurer gives)
    Licence: Full licence for 8 years
    Cover: Fully comp. Fully protected
    Current Premium: €589 with Allianz
    Renewals: €739 with Allianz. Other quotes are €1200+ :eek: Thought the increase was mad. Max insurance I've ever paid before last year, even on provisional, was €550 and paying €700+ on a 12 year old car seems mad to me :(
    What's caused such a hefty increase?

caught enjoying her wankel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

What's caused such a hefty increase?

Greed

Advertisement