Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What's caused such a hefty increase?

Aside from the standard industry increases of between 20% and 30% it's now 12 years old.

Cars have for a long time attracted an age of vehicle load once they hit 12 years of age.

Plus the car type is not one that a lot of insurers would have on their wish list as attractive risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Hi folks,

My premium on a 2007 407 coupe has increased from €405 last year to €610 this year, a 50% increase. Is this what other people are experiencing? I have tried to get a cheaper quote elsewhere but everything is coming in dearer.

I'm 30, 12 years NCB and no penalty points. Seems like a savage increase.

Anyone any suggestions for a more competitive quote.

I've tried

- Aviva (current insurer) as a new customer - €610 (renewal was €690)
    - Chill.ie - €800
    - FBD - €750
    - Allianz - €750 when options added in
    - Liberty - €1000!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Ours was much the same iirc we had a 30% increase on the renewals from a fairly low quote and couldn't get anything else that was less than a 50% increase so went with the renewal quote.

EDIT> Reading this thread helped to make up my mind to go with the renewal quotes when it became obvious that everyone else was in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭robbiew

Car: '07 Lexus is250
    NCD: over 9 years, but insurer has me down for 2 years** what ever that means, so i'll be ringing them.
    Licence: Full licence
    Cover: Fully comp.
    Current Premium: €496 with Aviva " Broker McCarthy's Ins Group "
    Renewals: €606.08 with same..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

robbiew wrote: »
    NCD: over 9 years, but insurer has me down for 2 years** what ever that means, so i'll be ringing them.

So that's over 20% increase. I don't understand. Insurance premiums used to go down slightly each year. Why all of sudden are they increasing 20%, 50%, sometimes 100% compared with last year? Is this just happening in Ireland? What's going on?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine you have been with Aviva for only 2 years?

An insurer will only verify the time you have been with them, even though you are getting the full benefit of having the max bonus.

For example, if you move to another insurer this year, at next renewal your bonus will say 1 year but the point on the NCB scale will be 50%/55%, depending on what way they sell their NCB levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Car: '08 Astra 1.9 cDTI SRI 150
    NCD: 2 years
    Licence: Full UK licence
    Cover: Fully comp
    Current Premium: ~€1200 (Allianz NI)
    Renewals: €~1200 with same, I'm moving south of the border next month and going with First Ireland, cheapest by a long way at €873, online quote gave me €1080, rang them up and down to €873

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Car: '08 Astra 1.9 cDTI SRI 150
    NCD: 2 years
    Licence: Full UK licence
    Current Premium: ~€1200 (Allianz NI)
    Renewals: €~1200 with same, I'm moving south of the border next month and going with First Ireland, cheapest by a long way at €873, online quote gave me €1080, rang them up and down to €873
    How much would it be if you had an RoI licence? Insurance companies shouldn't discriminate against people who hold licences from other EU states, but they do.

I'd imagine you have been with Aviva for only 2 years?

An insurer will only verify the time you have been with them, even though you are getting the full benefit of having the max bonus.

For example, if you move to another insurer this year, at next renewal your bonus will say 1 year but the point on the NCB scale will be 50%/55%, depending on what way they sell their NCB levels.

Hi Saul, would that still apply regarding the ncb scale, i've been with the same brokers for almost 10 years, but 2 years ago they put me with a different insurance company, so is my NCB with my broker or is it only from the time they put me under Aviva, btw all the through the years with my broker it has been with aviva apart from that one year the broker change Ins company..
    Sorry it this is a bit long winded,

So that's over 20% increase. I don't understand. Insurance premiums used to go down slightly each year. Why all of sudden are they increasing 20%, 50%, sometimes 100% compared with last year? Is this just happening in Ireland? What's going on?

To be honest KB, i was crapping myself thinking about the renewal, after all the lotto no' quotes people have been getting in Ireland in the past..

Mind you in the last 4 years, i have gone through 5 cars, i get bored very easily :D

• Advertisement

Hi Saul, would that still apply regarding the ncb scale, i've been with the same brokers for almost 10 years, but 2 years ago they put me with a different insurance company, so is my NCB with my broker or is it only from the time they put me under Aviva, btw all the through the years with my broker it has been with aviva apart from that one year the broker change Ins company..
    Sorry it this is a bit long winded,

Yep, even of you were dealing directly with insurers yourself the bonus would be issued in the same way.

This year it probably reads something like

Years claims free under this policy : 2

Point on scale : 50% (or whatever the max aviva allow)

And it should have a breakdown then of the point on scale

1 year = 20%
    2 years = 30%

And so on.

You have a full bonus so if you are getting quotes elsewhere that's what you tell perspective insurers.

Yep, even of you were dealing directly with insurers yourself the bonus would be issued in the same way.

This year it probably reads something like

Years claims free under this policy : 2

Point on scale : 50% (or whatever the max aviva allow)

And it should have a breakdown then of the point on scale

1 year = 20%
    2 years = 30%

And so on.

You have a full bonus so if you are getting quotes elsewhere that's what you tell perspective insurers.

Ok that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up for me.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Car: '02 Nissan Almera 1.5 Petrol
    NCD: over 7 years
    Licence: Full licence only for a year.
    No points
    Current Premium: €600 with First Ireland
    Renewals: €595 with First Ireland.

Happy enough to be honest since by the looks of it everyones went up and the car is getting on in years. Could have gotten it for €550 with BOI but they wanted a €500 excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

davo2001 wrote: »
    Car: '02 Nissan Almera 1.5 Petrol
    NCD: over 7 years
    Licence: Full licence only for a year.
    No points
    Current Premium: €600 with First Ireland
    Renewals: €595 with First Ireland.

Happy enough to be honest since by the looks of it everyones went up and the car is getting on in years. Could have gotten it for €550 with BOI but they wanted a €500 excess.

Not a dig at you but these are the ones I don't understand.

The line from the insurance companies is that costs/losses are driving prices up but then we see the odd one which drops or stays the same

I'm sure there are people with similar profiles to yours who have seen insurance increases

wally79 wrote: »
    Not a dig at you but these are the ones I don't understand.

The line from the insurance companies is that costs/losses are driving prices up but then we see the odd one which drops or stays the same

I'm sure there are people with similar profiles to yours who have seen insurance increases

I wonder if adding in profession would shed any light on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Was with cover in a click.ie

Mid 30s
    1.9 Tdi Golf
    Full NCB
    Fully comp

Last years premium: €540
    This years renewal offer: €1080 (they originally offered me €560 but went back on it when I went to pay the policy)
    Shopped around and got between €700 - €1200
    Went with RSA in the end for €535, full NCB protection, breakdown, windscreen cover and other usual extras.

Was infuriated ringing around and getting insane quotes and glad to have it sorted now. Nothing worse than spending 15 minutes on the phone giving details only to have a stupid figure quoted to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Effects wrote: »
    Was with cover in a click.ie

Mid 30s
    1.9 Tdi Golf
    Full NCB
    Fully comp

Last years premium: €540
    This years renewal offer: €1080 (they originally offered me €560 but went back on it when I went to pay the policy)
    Shopped around and got between €700 - €1200
    Went with RSA in the end for €535, full NCB protection, breakdown, windscreen cover and other usual extras.

Was infuriated ringing around and getting insane quotes and glad to have it sorted now. Nothing worse than spending 15 minutes on the phone giving details only to have a stupid figure quoted to me.

How do they go back on a renewal quote? I thought those had to be valid for 30 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

my3cents wrote: »
    I wonder if adding in profession would shed any light on that?

Working in IT

davo2001 wrote: »
    Working in IT

Ditto but afaik gardener always used to get the lowest quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Car: '08 VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140bhp
    NCD: 9 years
    Current Premium: €730 with Zurich (via Glennons)
    Renewals: €1,200 with Zurich but have an alternative quote of €645 with another insurer from Glennons. Think I'll be going for the alternative. :pac:

I guess Zurich just don't like money. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

How do they go back on a renewal quote? I thought those had to be valid for 30 days?

Brokers told me the company that gave them the quote changed their minds and decided not to insure that car with them anymore and the next best quote was €1080 with another company.

Glad I've switched to be honest. I've found coverinaclick.ie not very good at communication. Multiple times I've been told I'll get a call back and I never do.
    Then I finally had to travel to their office to make sure they would send me my proof of NCB as they wouldn't confirm it over the phone.
    I'd hate to deal with them if I was ever in an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Baffled by mine to be honest as last year it was circa €500 on a 2008 Astra Sporthatch 1.7 CDTi SRI and I then changed my car mid policy to an Audi A5 S line 2.0 TDI only to be quoted €546 for my renewal.

Car: 2010 Audi A5 S-line 2.0TDi
    NCD: Max - never claimed, driving 12 years
    Licence: Full licence 10 years
    Cover: Fully comp + fully comp driving of other cars
    No points
    2015 premium: €500 with Alliance through the AA on my old Astra
    2016 Renewal: €546 with Alliance through AA on car worth 4 times the old one

Pleasantly surprised as I was expecting a huge increase given what I'd been reading and hearing about...

Car: 99 Toyota Celica, VVTLI, 190bhp
    NCD: Max - never claimed, driving on my own policies for 12/13 years
    Licence: Full licence 15 years
    No points
    2015 premium: €650
    2016 Renewal: €593

Quote from my broker - O'Mahony Boylan Golden in Cork, can't remember the underwriter off the top of my head.
    Will still be getting other quotes obviously, but a good point to start from at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Pleasantly surprised as I was expecting a huge increase given what I'd been reading and hearing about...

Car: 99 Toyota Celica, VVTLI, 190bhp
    NCD: Max - never claimed, driving on my own policies for 12/13 years
    Licence: Full licence 15 years
    No points
    2015 premium: €650
    2016 Renewal: €593

Quote from my broker - O'Mahony Boylan Golden in Cork, can't remember the underwriter off the top of my head.
    Will still be getting other quotes obviously, but a good point to start from at least!

This further reinforces my opinion that the insurance prices are nothing more than a lottery. You are the second person in as many pages to get a reduction on last years price.

Just out of curiosity what is your occupation???

Given the car is a 'large' petrol engine and 17 years old it came down whilst the majority,me included, are seeing increases on a stupidly high level.

KC161 wrote: »
    This further reinforces my opinion that the insurance prices are nothing more than a lottery. You are the second person in as many pages to get a reduction on last years price.

Just out of curiosity what is your occupation???

Given the car is a 'large' petrol engine and 17 years old it came down whilst the majority,me included, are seeing increases on a stupidly high level.

It's bizarre - there seems to be very little logic behind a lot of the quotes.
    Have to laugh as well at a 1.8 being considered a large engine :D

I'm an IT Systems Admin

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

You think that's laughable? Earlier this year, Chill offered me my renewal with a 50% increase because a 1.8 120hp petrol engine is "High Performance"

It's bizarre - there seems to be very little logic behind a lot of the quotes.

I'm an IT Systems Admin

I said 'large' because if you went to sell it tomorrow morning alot of people would fall off their seats at the thought of a 1.8 petrol engine. I had one for 2 years myself.

I think the previous poster that seen their policy reduce in price was also in that sector.

Maybe i should get a quote in IT next time for the craic.

KC161 wrote: »
    I said 'large' because if you went to sell it tomorrow morning alot of people would fall off their seats at the thought of a 1.8 petrol engine. I had one for 2 years myself.

I think the previous poster that seen their policy reduce in price was also in that sector.

Maybe i should get a quote in IT next time for the craic.

Sur we're all boring nerds - what damage could we possibly do.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Sur we're all boring nerds - what damage could we possibly do.:D

This is true. I'm in I.T. as well, and I recently insured a 3l for €570! :D

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    This is true. I'm in I.T. as well, and I recently insured a 3l for €570! :D

I've only just renewed my insurance. €700 for the year.

Last year was €550.

No claims,points etc in that time.

I did change car in January though.

I'll get a quote as an I.T employee and see what it comes back as.

I remember seeing your quote Jim. Very impressive for a 3L.

Advertisement