Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Gender. Male

Age. 35

Licence. 12 years. Full.

Car. 2010 Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 Diesel.

FNCB. 7 years.

Points. 0

Cover Required. Fully Comp

Last year: €450 Mccarthy Insurance

Renew Quote. €850!!!!!

Looked around and managed to get €483 from another broker.

What broker did you use? Last year I would have been ~ 480 this year cheapest I can get is 685...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kh8

gender M

Age 20

car vw polo 97

NCB 2

Licence 2 years

cover tpft

Last year 1050

renewal 1858 from coverinaclick

best quote i got was 1280 from BOI and theres driving of other cars

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

How did OP get on have been having similar issues, theyre all telling me they cant insure the policy holder if they are under 25years old, really frustrating as i found a really nice van but just cant drive it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If you can find an insurance co. abroad to insure you in Ireland is it possible/legal? Anyone ever done this and did you save much money?

Car: 09 Focus
    NCD: 6+ years
    Licence: Full Irish 10 years, no points
    Cover: Fully comp
    Current Premium: €355 with Aviva
    Renewals: Renewal quote of €365 from Aviva. Rang Cornmarket to see €475
    Rang Aviva to renew and reduced to €330.

Wife has own policy with them too. Her renewal similar on vw Polo

***Update: I rang to pay wife's insurance. Initial was €320 but reduced it to €299 on phone. Well happy with Aviva for both quotes****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jordanfaf

Car: 07 Renault Clio RS 2.0

NCD: 2 years

Licence: Full Irish, 2 years

Cover: Fully comp, protected

Best quote: €1500 - Aviva

ive always been lucky with quotes on past cars,

my 08 Bravo Tjet was 1200 when i was 17 on a provisional
    2005 Mini one was 1,000 17-18 years old on full license
    and 2006 Cooper s was 980 18-19 on full license

All quotes with aviva
    and pretty damn good considering performance and my age

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KPJC11

Just received my renewal Quote for €509 with 123.ie. it was only €430 last year and was hoping for something in around €390.

I called a few places with the exact same details and got the following:

Liberty - €1098.56
    Aviva - €633
    Allianz - €639.49
    Chill - €734
    Zurich - €759.69
    FBD - €876.38
    AIG - €1085
    Blue Ins - €1326

All quotes fully comp
    6 yrs No claims, no points
    Full irish license, etc. etc. etc
    Vehicle - 1.4 Fiat bravo 2008

Seriously...what the hell is going on with insurers?

Any advice for good prices? willing to move the house insurance and wifes car too if we get a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

kh8 wrote: »
    up to what ltr can u drive up to

Just paid for it there. The woman on the phone said the engine drive can be unlimited, just once the car has valid tax & nct, and is insured and registered in someone else's name that is not my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

Car: 04 Skoda Octavia 1.8 VRS

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp

Quote: €540

Changed a month later to a 12 Skoda superb 2l dsg auto 170hp elegance for an extra €40.

Last year I paid €450 fully comp

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kh8

Just paid for it there. The woman on the phone said the engine drive can be unlimited, just once the car has valid tax & nct, and is insured and registered in someone else's name that is not my own.

boi quoted me 1280 and theres driving of other car up to 2500cc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Car: `2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDM

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10 years, no points

Cover: Fully comp with Cornmarket

Quote: €563

Last year I paid €515 fully comp

Can't even get a quote near that to try and drive it down

Well pissed off the cheapest I could get was 685 with BOI but my renewal is like 715 so not even really worth switching...

Full NCB, 10+ driving license, 33 years old driving a 02 1.6 Toyota avensis.

Have 2 more days to find something cheaper, already paid out 715 but have cooling off period. Not looking to good at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Xcellor wrote: »
    Well pissed off the cheapest I could get was 685 with BOI but my renewal is like 715 so not even really worth switching...

Full NCB, 10+ driving license, 33 years old driving a 02 1.6 Toyota avensis.

Have 2 more days to find something cheaper, already paid out 715 but have cooling off period. Not looking to good at this point.

I thought you could pay BOI by instalments at no extra cost.

I thought you could pay BOI by instalments at no extra cost.

Probably just go with them then. Shelling out 715 in one go was painful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

I am a male in my late 30's, live in a good safe area, drive a 10 year old car, have 13 years no claims bonus (I know this is capped at 7 years or something) have 2 penalty points from 2014.

Last years fully comp quote was 470, year before was 378.......today I get a letter from my current insurer with a quote.....fookin 696 Euro....these insurance companies wreck my head.

My car value has gone down, I have yet another year of driving experience with no claims, I am a year older and more "mature" etc etc

Now I know I will ring them and they will go off and check this and that and probably knock 100 euro off, but its still 596 and they will probably say "oh its the global insurance market, its gone out of control " or " there is an increase in people making false claims and you bear the brunt of it" etc

just wrecks my head, any body else get their quote lately where it has increased?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,330 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

(can't remember

just wrecks my head, any body else get their quote lately where it has increased?

You'd be better off asking has anyone else got a quote where it has NOT increased :mad:

Mine went from under 400 to well north of 600 (can't remember the exact figures), got it down a bit but still paid a lot more than last year.

Some people saying Bank of Ireland are giving half-decent quotes, don't know if they've recently entered the market or what but might be worth giving them a shout - I got that nugget too late for my renewal, unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Quote: €563 Last year I paid €515 fully comp
    Can't even get a quote near that to try and drive it down

Barabbas that's not bad a'tall considering the mad quotes everyone else is getting. Mine went up by 500 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Got a little van and put it in the wife's name.

Licence: full
    Ncd: 5+ and currently named on my policy
    Vehicle: 1.3 diesel Fiat Fiorino van
    Cover: €850 fully comp with protected ncd

I'm named on the above policy also.

We pay €830 fully comp and protected on a 09 Vectra sri 150bhp diesel. So that's nearly €1700 on both and just over €2000 including home insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

folks now it's my turn
    last year 419 (Im pretty sure it was actually 409), same broker, same car, 9 yo estate, 1,6 petrol, only me, third party fire and theft, 7 years no claims (although 5 years is max) 2 penalty points (in fact none as they can't apply them to my foreign driving licence) Lucan area and chilling renewal came at 589 euro. I rang them and after BS talk and being humiliated by myself they've lowered by 20 euro so now 569 to pay. I've shopped around and every single one was more expensive so I will end up with this. Maybe worth to mention that my policy is kinda "negotiated" as I can enjoy full no claim discount protecion, wind screen cover, breakdown assistance and 0 euro policy excess so maybe my price in not that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

My insurance never moved this year. Last year was €426 this year got it for the same.

They did try to up it to 500, but when I questioned the reason they dropped it back down, after the usual "I'll put on hold for a moment" scenario. (Accord 2L)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Car: Focus 1.6 petrol
    Year: 2005
    NCB: 8 Years.
    Claims: 0
    License: 6 Years Full
    Cover: Fully Comp
    35 years old spouse with Full license as named driver.
    Last Year: AIG €550
    This Year: AIG €637

Online prices are around 600 Euro so I guess being 11 years old car affects it.

It is funny that I insured 06 Nissan Note 1.6 with my wife's 6 years Named driver experience only for 620 Euro couple of months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

M
    06 BMW 523i
    NCB 5 years, Full license 6 years, No points etc
    Last year 770ish
    Renewal 890 in installments or 821 up front.

Could have been worse. That's with Liberty too. Aviva wanted 974 and Chill came up with over 1450!

Think i'll renew and pay a month, cars going up for sale online tomorrow. (any interest give me a shout!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Stray Cat

Car: Nissan Primastar 1.9
    Year: 2006
    License: 14 Years Full

Last Year: Kennco €428
    This Year: Kennco €100.74 (Third Party)

Only 2 companies would price as the rest said i was un-insurable ...im a photographer hardly a stunt car driver....

Only 2 companies would price as the rest said i was un-insurable ...im a photographer hardly a stunt car driver....
    10 yrs NCB is worth nothing...

Stray Cat wrote: »

10 yrs NCB is worth nothing...

Your not getting insurance for €100 on a van, is that a typo?

Woops me bad :) €1000.74

Oh and to follow i was only quoted by 2 companies as i work as a photographer and for some bizarre reason they think i double as a stunt car driver as the rest wouldn't even quote me,chill said unless i was a farmer or trades person they didnt want to know!! Be interesting to see what the regulator thinks about that....

Stray Cat wrote: »
    Oh and to follow i was only quoted by 2 companies as i work as a photographer and for some bizarre reason they think i double as a stunt car driver as the rest wouldn't even quote me,chill said unless i was a farmer or trades person they didnt want to know!! Be interesting to see what the regulator thinks about that....

In the same situation. Got quoted by kenco and Aviva, only reason Aviva quoted is because we have a policy with them already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Topic on Premiums coming up on TV3's VB show (M Cooper tonight) shortly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/financial-products-and-services/insurance-products/index_en.htm
    Insurance products
    Insurance companies can sell their products throughout the EU – either by establishing themselves in other countries or providing their services across borders directly or through intermediaries.

You can therefore shop around the European market for the best deals on insurance products (life insurance, household insurance, car insurance and so on).

This only concerns private insurance and occupational pension funds and not your social security and statutory pension rights relating to your work history.

When you buy from an insurer in another EU country, the authorities responsible for regulating insurance in that country and in your own country will share information on:

the level of risk involved in the insurance you plan to buy
    the insurer's solvency
    the types of risk for which the insurer is authorised in the country where it is based.
    Most insurance products are sold through insurance intermediaries (brokers, agents). They must provide you with certain essential information before any contract is signed, including:

their links to the insurance companies
    whether they are acting as an agent or broker.
    They should also clearly state in writing:

your insurance requests and needs
    the reasons for any advice they give you on the insurance product.
    On the basis of this information, you can decide whether the proposed insurance contract is the right choice for you.

Anyone ever tried to get insurance from another EU member country?

Advertisement