Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

Car: Mazda 6 1.8 petrol
    Year: 2006
    NCB: 1 year
    Claims: 0
    License: 1 year full
    Cover: Fully Comp

Last Year: Kennco €1450
    This Year: Kennco €1690

Called around, got a quote off libery for €1200. Cheapest so far, but still insane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

oknepop wrote: »
    Car: Mazda 6 1.8 petrol
    Year: 2006
    NCB: 1 year
    License: 1 year full
    Cover: Fully Comp

Last Year: Kennco €1450
    This Year: Kennco €1690

Called around, got a quote off libery for €1200. Cheapest so far, but still insane!

You have only one year bonus, are under 25 and got a price almost 30% cheaper than last year.

Yer doin alright mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

just looking back at the first posts on this topic in 2015 and would love to be getting those quotes this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Car: BMW 318 CI (1.9l Petrol)
    Year: 2002
    NCB: 7 years
    License: 7 years full
    Cover: TPFT

2014: AA Insurance €440
    Last Year: AIG €667
    This Year: AIG €848 (Other quotes were as much as €1600)

Absolutely disgusted. Haven't paid insurance like this since I was in my early 20's. Complete and utter disgrace. Told the AIG rep on the phone that I would sell the car rather than pay that kind of money for insurance and I actually intend to stand by that. It's nothing short of extortion by the insurance companies now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Muahahaha wrote: »

Filter all the non-relevant búllshít out of this article and it is possible to get insurance in another EU member state : http://www.kildarenow.com/news/man-residing-in-co-kildare-border-forced-to-source-car-insurance-in-germany-due-to-irelands-high-prices/97941

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ELBAOS

Female 30 yrs 2010 Skoda octavia vrs 2.0 diesel
    8yrs full licence no points no claims
    Last yr €320 with aviva renewal quoted €860 shopped around got a good few quotes dearer and a few the same eventually got it for €700 off 123.ie still madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cneebhroin

Female: 25
    98 Nissan Micra 1 L
    4 years NCB
    No penalty points
    Quote : 890 !! ( that's shopping around, renewal wanted 1200) up from 634 ! Also nowhere would quote me fully comp so that price is 3rd Party.

Just bought a new car Liberty want another 200 euro to update my policy, despite having put my details into their site and getting a quote for the same vehicle that is 300 lower than my current insurance !? They are literal scam artists - they will try to get as money out of you what ever way possible !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Cneebhroin wrote: »
    Female: 25
    98 Nissan Micra 1 L
    4 years NCB
    No penalty points
    Quote : 890 !! ( that's shopping around, renewal wanted 1200) up from 634 ! Also nowhere would quote me fully comp so that price is 3rd Party.

Just bought a new car Liberty want another 200 euro to update my policy, despite having put my details into their site and getting a quote for the same vehicle that is 300 lower than my current insurance !? They are literal scam artists - they will try to get as money out of you what ever way possible !

Is it not possible to cancel your current policy, get a refund and then take out a new policy with them? Might be cheaper depending on how they load the administration costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Male, 29
    151 Scirocco 1.4
    6 years NCB
    No penality points
    Quote: €590

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ejabrod wrote: »
    Filter all the non-relevant búllshít out of this article and it is possible to get insurance in another EU member state : http://www.kildarenow.com/news/man-residing-in-co-kildare-border-forced-to-source-car-insurance-in-germany-due-to-irelands-high-prices/97941

Thanks for that, pretty interesting that he got his car insurance from Germany for half the price Irish insurance companies were quoting him. More people should do the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 seatleon1.4

Car: seat leon 1.4 petrol

NCD: 0 years

Licence: provisional

Cover: Fully comp

Best quote: €3090.98 from boxymo, quotes anywhere up to €3400.08

License: Full- 2 years

NCD - 6 years.

Renewal with First Ireland was E610, think I paid about E450 last year.

Best quotes were FBD at E610 and BOI at E570(last week).
    I was peeved at BOI, as when I checked in April it was E480(Prestige) with step back protection while it went to E570 last week.
    Starting a job tomorrow so need the car more so, had no choice but to take the BOI offer, thankfully it was back down to around the E480(could possibly have been below the April low price) for "Prestige" so I took that.

Outside of that, my average quotes were 800-1000 and nobody came to close to the FBD quote which was significantly higher than BOI even at E570.
    The car was going to be sold had I been forced to pay above E650-700 though outside of BOI I had got E610 from FBD, so I had a second option.

Happy enough.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I am a male in my late 30's, live in a good safe area, drive a 10 year old car, have 13 years no claims bonus (I know this is capped at 7 years or something) have 2 penalty points from 2014.

Last years fully comp quote was 470, year before was 378.......today I get a letter from my current insurer with a quote.....fookin 696 Euro....these insurance companies wreck my head.

My car value has gone down, I have yet another year of driving experience with no claims, I am a year older and more "mature" etc etc

Now I know I will ring them and they will go off and check this and that and probably knock 100 euro off, but its still 596 and they will probably say "oh its the global insurance market, its gone out of control " or " there is an increase in people making false claims and you bear the brunt of it" etc

just wrecks my head, any body else get their quote lately where it has increased?

Thousands have, you're nothing special. Best that can be said is to shop around, but when all the insurance companies decide to bump their prices, there's not much market to shop around in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Starting a job tomorrow so need the car more so, had no choice but to take the BOI offer.

So long as you don't need the car for work, as you may find that the kind of market cherry picking that BOI does, excludes that sort of cover.

TJJP wrote: »
    So long as you don't need the car for work, as you may find that the kind of market cherry picking that BOI does, excludes that sort of cover.

If by work you meant "on the road" work then no.
    Just basic to and fro like everyone else.

Anyway its actually an unpaid intern so not even work in theory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

This has probably been asked many times before but can anybody who's got a 15+ year old car recently insured tell me the name of the Company? I'm finding it very difficult to get a quote for less than a grand (no points or claims).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Mine is with First Ireland but it's 13 y.o. Have you tried them?

Just gave them a shot Cortina. 1,613 spondoolies :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

They were cheapest for me at €680. AXA wanted €2,2000... Next cheapest was Britton at €715. http://www.brittoninsurance.ie/car_insurance.html

• Advertisement

Cheers Cortina. I just tried them but when I clicked 'Get Quote' it said website can't be reached etc etc. Probably just have to go with the crowd I'm currently with even though they're up 400 on last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Jesus. wrote: »
    This has probably been asked many times before but can anybody who's got a 15+ year old car recently insured tell me the name of the Company? I'm finding it very difficult to get a quote for less than a grand (no points or claims).

With AIG through first ireland brokers for my 97 bmw 840, classic policy for 400 a year with 6k millage limit

That sounds good Skatedude. Yours is clearly a classic. Unfortunately mine ain't, its bangernomics I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Car: 2006 Volkswagen Passat 1.9 TDI
    NCD: 1 Year in my own name
    Licence: 1 Year Full Licence, 1 year provisional
    Penalty Points: 0

Current insurer: FBD
    Last Year: €2,200 (on a '03 Corolla 1.4 but I got a quote of €2,400 for a '05 Passat 1.9 at the time)
    This year: €3,778

I havent done much shopping around but FBD are keen on that price and wont give much of a discount.
    Liberty Insurance offered €1,590 after doing an online quote & furthermore reduced to €1,308 after a phone call. Doubt I'll get better than that.

Quick update on this if anyone is interested.

Paid €1300 over the phone last week, emailed them a copy of my proof of NCD, got my insurance disk and all that craic.. And then today I get a letter acknowledging that they got my email & have stated that they have overcharged me by €133, so I will be getting that back over the next 10 days!

€1167 for my insurance. Less than 1/3 of my renewal quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Car: BMW 318 CI (1.9l Petrol)
    Year: 2002
    NCB: 7 years
    License: 7 years full

2014: AA Insurance €440
    Last Year: AIG €667
    This Year: AIG €848 (Other quotes were as much as €1600)

Decided to check out 123.ie had forgotten about them, and got a quote for €620, so less than I paid last year. Delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Male.

NCB 9 years.

Penalty points: 0

2011 Qashqai.

€534 with FBD. Happy enough with that an increase of €34 from last year's premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Got my renewal this evening from Allianz for €548 fully comp on my 11 year old 2.2 diesel Accord. That's up 15% on last year. Will still be shopping around BUT reasonably relieved considering the amount of horror stories I have heard lately about increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Opinions on this one...

Was helping my gf get quotes the other day and both using the same criteria for a quote we got this

insurance.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

They obviously don't think mac users are a very good risk :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

smash wrote: »
    Opinions on this one...

Was helping my gf get quotes the other day and both using the same criteria for a quote we got this

insurance.jpg

Was the only difference gender as in job title, years licence held, bonus etc and everything else was the same?

If so, id be reporting it to Insurance Ireland.

Advertisement