Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Was the only difference gender as in job title, years licence held, bonus etc and everything else was the same?

If so, id be reporting it to Insurance Ireland.

No, I was literally getting a quote for her as she was getting a quote for herself. All the same info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

So I had to go ahead and pay 950 quid - up from 500 last year. That's 1,650 just to tax and insure a bog standard family car that on a good day is barely worth 400 euro. Meanwhile my pal with a 2010 Cee'd starts complaining to me today that its costing him 200 tax and 450 insurance for the year. A grand less than me! My car was NCT'd only 4 weeks ago and is perfectly roadworthy.

So in essence you have people who can afford a newish car paying one rate and people who can only afford a cheap car getting bent over and fukked like an inmate on his first night in the Joy. More luck to the guys who can run a newish car, I'm glad for them. But something stinks to high heaven when it always appears to be those who don't have much dosh who get screwed in this Country.

As an aside, if someone gets priced out of the market (which I presume is happening wholesale now) and give up their car, why do insurance companies then insist a year or two later that their blemish-free NCB is no longer valid and you have to start all over again at some extortionate rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

smash wrote: »
    Opinions on this one...

Was helping my gf get quotes the other day and both using the same criteria for a quote we got this

It's entirely possible it's because you used a MacBook! Mac users have been charged more in the past for hotels online.

Think BOI is the only show in town at the moment. I paid 547 last year with Aviva fully comp, full NCB protection and also included class 1 (need to use it for work occasionally) came back as 890 this year. 8 years no claims and driving experience , 33 female 1.7 sportage. Got it down to 740 with aviva to be fair throwing the kitchen sink at it (I had 3 policies with them). Got laughed out of it with liberty, chill, 123 etc with quotes from 900-1100. The class 1 puts me in unquotable territory even though I have never had to pay extra for it and has never been an issue. Went through BOI and got prestige cover with added full NCB protection for 601. Was 651, but ran my home insurance through them as well, due at the same time (my renewal with chill was 389 and BOI offered me 211) and bang 50e off car insurance.

Erdin, a combination of just reading your post and my bank details not going through earlier for some unknown reason has just saved me 400 quid! I just got insured for e536 with BOI, only 35 up on last year.

Thanks for posting :)

• Advertisement

In my frustration I had earlier e-mailed my local TD and Transport Minister thinking I'd payed 950. Won't do any harm anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Jesus. wrote: »
    In my frustration I had earlier e-mailed my local TD and Transport Minister thinking I'd payed 950. Won't do any harm anyway :)
    Don't worry, I emailed my FG/LAB TD's in January about not being able to get access to a GP and I'm still waiting. They might get back to you at Christmas (or in time for next election).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

€700 male 43 full no claims discount 2008 Mark V GTI with Aviva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

smash wrote: »
    Opinions on this one...

Was helping my gf get quotes the other day and both using the same criteria for a quote we got this

An update on this one but with another company. She went online and got a quote with 123 a few days ago, then went in this morning to retrieve the quote and it had gone up by around €60. I told her to get a new quote and I did the same on my laptop. Her quote came in €40 cheaper than her previous one and my quote on her behalf came in a further €10 cheaper again. She phoned them and they gave her a quote of €100 more expensive so she just bought it online with the reference number I got for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ali_d

Car: Mazda 6 2.2 129PS
    Year: 2010
    Claims: 0
    License: 12 Years Full
    husband as second driver (15 years driving, no claims, Age 35 with 2 penalty points due to expire shortly)
    Cover: Fully Comp

Last Year: Allianz 360
    This Year: Allianz 571
    Policy includes full no claims bonus

Got a similar quote from AIG but the comparison websites started at 700+. One quote was 1400. And none of them had no claims protection!! Craziness. I'll be sticking with Allianz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ali_d

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dublicate post[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Have been a named driver for two years on my partners 2005 320i. Passed the test in Feb at the ripe old age of 38. Recently made redundant I got a new job in sales. Rang BOI to get a quote on a 2005 Fiat Panda 1.1 only to be told they wouldn't insure me.

It's not even a sales job which will require much driving, the car would be parked up most of the day.

Want to work, willing to work, had a quote of €1200 with a different job title but select field sales and I'm unquoteable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Have been a named driver for two years on my partners 2005 320i. Passed the test in Feb at the ripe old age of 38. Recently made redundant I got a new job in sales. Rang BOI to get a quote on a 2005 Fiat Panda 1.1 only to be told they wouldn't insure me.

It's not even a sales job which will require much driving, the car would be parked up most of the day.

Want to work, willing to work, had a quote of €1200 with a different job title but select field sales and I'm unquoteable.

If its an office based sales job just put in that you are admin staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

That's the thing about BOI, Social Domestic and Pleasure cover only, no Class 1 (a or b) so zero work cover with their RSA product.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

If its an office based sales job just put in that you are admin staff.

Unfortunately it's not office based. Regardless got onto Chill and got an offer about €200 less than BOI had quoted me for before the new role.

It's a seriously frustrating setup, the whole insurance game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Car: Ford Mondeo TDCi Titanium X 163PS
    Year: 2010
    Claims: 0
    License: 30 Years Full
    Wife as second driver (25 years driving on full license, own car, no claims, no points)
    Class 1 (need for work travel)
    €608 renewal, €540 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kiangriffin

I'm hoping plenty of you guys will come out and support the demonstration I've organised tomorrow week in Dulin. We have a chance to make a real difference here. SF, FF, AA are all behind it. It's been getting a massive push in the media recently and it's been referenced numerous times in the Dáil now. I'm in constant discussion with TD's from various parties so getting movement behind the scenes too but the demo next week is a chance to show the government just how many people are affected. If your pissed off with the insurance situation, come out and join us. Search "Ireland Underground" on FB for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Age 39
    Car Mazda 3 2.2 Diesel
    Year 2015
    Claims 0
    Points 0
    License 20 years full

Wife as second driver 9 years full license no points or claims

655 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 17 abcCORK87

Couple weeks ago i got sick price of my gf's car insurance.

1200 euro for 93 civic.... It's just sick... It passed nct without any major issues for last 6 years. Last year insurance doubled from 350 to 600 and this year again...

It's just sick...

Car is worth around 1000. And now we need to sell it as we cant afford that much for old car. Fortunately we got other car that insurance is much cheaper.

I was just thinking about those people that cant afford 2006+ car. They will just need to pay that incredible insurance or just sell cars.

Person who did this to happen should be jailed for years....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

We're not far off. I've got a 2003 Avensis. In 2013 €357 insurance, this year no claims €680 and I reckon next year it'll be €1,000 and that will be my driving days over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Went from just under 900 last year to them looking for almost 1700 this year. Rang them to ask was it a joke. They told me it was bcos I bought a newer car (had 2005 1.6 petrol Renault megane to a 2011 1.6 diesel ford mondeo) which was more valuable.this was tpft kennco. Got insurance wit allianz full comp for just over a grand. I swear my cheapest insurance was the first one I had on my own. Have never seen a reduction in it even though I now have 3 yr ncb in my own name now

• Registered Users Posts: 17 abcCORK87

It's just ridiculous... There is no pattern... some cars are too old some too new... If i had time and money i would go on war with those bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Something has to give eventually. The government seems to be under more pressure to get the bins situation sorted though.

Surely this is topic is more important?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

Provisional licence
    2years ncb
    Last year 1400
    This year 1800

Timeing belt snapped on car so have changed to a passat with the same 1.6 ptrl engine

Now they want 1900

Will shop around but there the best going by online quotes. Still ill get ringing and try to play them off each other

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

lankz92 wrote: »
    Provisional licence
    2years ncb
    Last year 1400
    This year 1800

Timeing belt snapped on car so have changed to a passat with the same 1.6 ptrl engine

Now they want 1900

Will shop around but there the best going by online quotes. Still ill get ringing and try to play them off each other

That's an extremely good deal for a provisional licence holder driving a 1.6 litre!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Arek

Gender. Male

Age. 37

Licence. 17 years. Full.

NCB. 9 years.

Car. Polo 96 1.0

Points. 0

Cover Required. Third Party

Last year: €390 AIG

Renew Quote. €1033 AIG 😀

AXA €720
    123 €960
    and rest €1000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

9 years N.C.B and that jump of 643. :O

job seeker wrote: »
    9 years N.C.B and that jump of 643. :O

Sometimes I think about buying a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Cant believe my luck here lads, was absolutely dreading my renewal... 14 year old "performance" car...

Gender. Male
    Age. 26
    Licence. 9 years, full
    NCB. 9 years.
    Car. 2002 Celica 190bhp
    Points. 0
    Cover Required. Comp

Last year: €650 Liberty
    Renew Quote €686 Liberty

that's a €36 increase.
    Liberty, a great bunch of lads.

they did charge me €52.50 to do a temp transfer last week which i thought was a bit saucy, but still.

• Advertisement

Cant believe my luck here lads, was absolutely dreading my renewal... 14 year old "performance" car...

Gender. Male
    Age. 26
    Licence. 9 years, full
    NCB. 9 years.
    Car. 2002 Celica 190bhp
    Points. 0
    Cover Required. Comp

Last year: €650 Liberty
    Renew Quote €686 Liberty

that's a €36 increase.
    Liberty, a great bunch of lads.

they did charge me €52.50 to do a temp transfer last week which i thought was a bit saucy, but still.

I tried liberty my quote for Polo 96 1.0 is €2011.39:mad:

Advertisement