Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Cant believe my luck here lads, was absolutely dreading my renewal... 14 year old "performance" car...

Gender. Male
    Age. 26
    Licence. 9 years, full
    NCB. 9 years.
    Car. 2002 Celica 190bhp
    Points. 0
    Cover Required. Comp

Last year: €650 Liberty
    Renew Quote €686 Liberty

that's a €36 increase.
    Liberty, a great bunch of lads.

they did charge me €52.50 to do a temp transfer last week which i thought was a bit saucy, but still.

Liberty, A shower of bastards!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

Gender. Male
    Age. 36
    Licence. 16 years, full
    NCB. 16 years.
    Car. 2000 Audi A4 1.8 130bhp
    Points. 0
    Cover Required. Comp including driving of other cars.

Last year: €515 Axa
    Renew Quote €1,370 Axa

And it took 2 weeks arguing with Axa before I got it down to €620. They kept going on about the age of the car etc. It's gone to be a joke. I couldn't get it down anymore and the amount of non-quotes I got was crazy as "your car is too old".

Go to Europe or even the UK to see the amount of older cars on the road and one would wonder how they survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Arek

I checked in Poland insurance for Polo 96 1.0 €180 and also is possible to drop to €100. But is impossible to buy bicouse you need live in Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Cant believe my luck here lads, was absolutely dreading my renewal... 14 year old "performance" car...

Gender. Male
    Age. 26
    Licence. 9 years, full
    NCB. 9 years.
    Car. 2002 Celica 190bhp
    Points. 0
    Cover Required. Comp

Last year: €650 Liberty
    Renew Quote €686 Liberty

that's a €36 increase.

FYI - Just make sure you keep renewing, ie don't let it run out...they won't cover that car for any new policy going forward...

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Just got my renewal today, went from €640 Last year to €1652!!!

Gender. Male
    Age. 35
    Licence. 10 years, full
    NCB. 6 years
    Car. 2007 Honda Civic Type R (FN2)
    Points. 0
    Cover Required. Comp

Last Year RSA \ Kenco €640
    This Year €1650

Tried a few already and I cannot even get a quote!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Gender. Male
    Age. 33
    Licence. 6 years, full
    NCB. 10 years
    Car. 2005 Honda Civic 1.6i Executive
    Points. 0
    Cover Required. Comp

Best quote I had was about €735 which was with my current insurer until today. I was raging that they jumped it up about 200 and even more sickening that I couldnt find a better offer. 25plus.ie gave me a quote of 588 fully comprehensive today with all the bells and whistles including full NCB protection. Heard the stories about customer service being poor but I dont expect to be calling them often.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

29, Male, 5 Years+ NCB, 0 points, Full licence for 9 years.
    2006 Golf 1.4L.

Last year with Aviva fully comp: €321.44
    Renewal from Aviva fully comp: €342.29

It's an absolute disgrace lads... an extra €20.85 :mad::mad:
    that's a 6.5% increase in year on year cost... :mad:

I shall voice my displeasure by throwing money at them ASAP :pac:
    All other quotes were €600+ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

29, Male, 5 Years+ NCB, 0 points, Full licence for 9 years.
    2006 Golf 1.4L.

Last year with Aviva fully comp: €321.44
    Renewal from Aviva fully comp: €342.29

It's an absolute disgrace lads... an extra €20.85 :mad::mad:
    that's a 6.5% increase in year on year cost... :mad:

I shall voice my displeasure by throwing money at them ASAP :pac:
    All other quotes were €600+ :D

That's a great deal. I went through CHILL last year and got 440 and my renewal today was 750. Crazy increase and no claims over the year. I wonder if I was to mention some of the quoted people got here would they try and match them?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

DellyBelly wrote: »
    That's a great deal. I went through CHILL last year and got 440 and my renewal today was 750. Crazy increase and no claims over the year. I wonder if I was to mention some of the quoted people got here would they try and match them?

I'm with chill too. They seem to just give you the renewal that the company your with give them. I rang essentially told them I wasn't paying that much and could they look again. Had a drop of almost 600 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

DellyBelly wrote: »

All quotes are tailored to an individual so no point in doing that... for example I have a partner and they're on my policy. Adding that partner lowered my premium originally by a couple of hundred €€€ last year. I also don't live in Dublin etc...

Your best bet is to just keep trying and changing the variables. Add parents / partners / best friend / grandparent to your policy and see any make a difference. Adding a parent to mine actually raised my premium but adding a partner lowered it - go figure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

I've two questions, how many times can a person be down as a named driver on different peoples insurances?

And also, how important is the bonus protection? Only have two years NCB, and there is a stark difference between quotes with and without it. Liberty won't offer me it, but the broker im with now can offer me it.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

All quotes are tailored to an individual so no point in doing that... for example I have a partner and they're on my policy. Adding that partner lowered my premium originally by a couple of hundred €€€ last year. I also don't live in Dublin etc...

Your best bet is to just keep trying and changing the variables. Add parents / partners / best friend / grandparent to your policy and see any make a difference. Adding a parent to mine actually raised my premium but adding a partner lowered it - go figure...

With Liberty adding a parent and grandparent took mine from €1400 to €840.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 problemnext

Gender. Male
    Age. 19
    Licence. 1 years, full
    NCB. nada, zip, 0
    Car. 2005 Yaris 1.0
    Points. 0
    Cover Required. tpft

AXA- 3333
    Cover in a Click - 3325
    BoxyMo - 1900 ( limited to only 16000km and tracker fitted to car to monitor driving)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Gender. Male
    Age. 19
    Licence. 1 years, full
    NCB. nada, zip, 0
    Car. 2005 Yaris 1.0
    Points. 0
    Cover Required. tpft

AXA- 3333
    Cover in a Click - 3325
    BoxyMo - 1900 ( limited to only 16000km and tracker fitted to car to monitor driving)

Try a broker such as First Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I was amazed this year. Got my renewal, did the normal thing of checking other places to see how it compared, and they came in the same or higher. My renewal quote was actually a genuine price, rather than the usual inflated nonsense. It was still €430.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Age 42
    Car Bmw 520d
    Year 2011
    Claims 0
    Points 0
    License 25 years full

Wife as second driver 10 years full license no points or claims

585 Euro - up from 420 last year. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

SeaFields wrote: »
    Got my renewal this evening from Allianz for €548 fully comp on my 11 year old 2.2 diesel Accord. That's up 15% on last year. Will still be shopping around BUT reasonably relieved considering the amount of horror stories I have heard lately about increases.

I have to hand it to allianz. My wife changed car earlier this year and put me down as a named driver. I hadn't been previously on her older car. Asked allianz if a discount would apply to my quote on this basis and they dropped my premium to €462. That makes it (just about) cheaper than last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

All quotes are tailored to an individual so no point in doing that... for example I have a partner and they're on my policy. Adding that partner lowered my premium originally by a couple of hundred €€€ last year. I also don't live in Dublin etc...Your best bet is to just keep trying and changing the variables. Add parents / partners / best friend / grandparent to your policy and see any make a difference. Adding a parent to mine actually raised my premium but adding a partner lowered it - go figure...

They asked me had I any access to another car and I said no. Would it have been cheaper if I said yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Has anyone else had the problem of getting an online quote based on X years of No Claims Bonus, and then when you accept it, being asked to provide documentary evidence of X+1 years of No Claims Bonus?

This has happened to me twice in the past few months, once with mine by 123.ie, and once with my daughter's with BOI. Unfortunately, I didn't keep screenshots of the questions I answered for the quotes (since it's usually screen after screen after screen of questions), but I certainly will next year. I think that they might deliberately phrase the NCB question in an ambiguous way.

Then if you can't provide the evidence of that extra year (I couldn't for my daughter), they hike an extra bit onto the original quote. AFTER you've accepted and paid for the original policy. In this case an additional €155.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Eeden wrote: »
    Has anyone else had the problem of getting an online quote based on X years of No Claims Bonus, and then when you accept it, being asked to provide documentary evidence of X+1 years of No Claims Bonus?

This has happened to me twice in the past few months, once with mine by 123.ie, and once with my daughter's with BOI. Unfortunately, I didn't keep screenshots of the questions I answered for the quotes (since it's usually screen after screen after screen of questions), but I certainly will next year. I think that they might deliberately phrase the NCB question in an ambiguous way.

Then if you can't provide the evidence of that extra year (I couldn't for my daughter), they hike an extra bit onto the original quote. AFTER you've accepted and paid for the original policy. In this case an additional 155.
    Well that is kinda fair as you did lie about the amount of NCB.

I know you did it by mistake but it was still the wrong number at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

Well that is kinda fair as you did lie about the amount of NCB.

I know you did it by mistake but it was still the wrong number at the end of the day.

No, I didn't lie about it. I was asked how many years for the online quote, I told the truth, then after the fact was asked for proof about an extra year I never claimed. They asked how many years no claims bonus - the answer I gave was 4 years, then they asked for proof of five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Car: Skoda Octavia 1.6tdi Elegance
    Year: 2015
    Claims: 0
    License: 13 Years Full
    Wife as second driver (15 years driving on full license, own car, no claims, no points)
    Social, domestic
    €550 renewal fully comp.
    €480 last year but I went from a 2009 Mondeo to the Octavia in April so absolutely grand given the value difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Eeden wrote: »
    No, I didn't lie about it. I was asked how many years for the online quote, I told the truth, then after the fact was asked for proof about an extra year I never claimed. They asked how many years no claims bonus - the answer I gave was 4 years, then they asked for proof of five years.

Was it just a stock standard letter that was issued or did the company call you and tell you they wanted 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Renewal for the 04 1.6 Golf from 06 2.5 5 Series is 64.xx/ month down from 70.50 a month. Not too much off a difference but sure look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

rizzee wrote: »
    Renewal for the 04 1.6 Golf from 06 2.5 5 Series is 64.xx/ month down from 70.50 a month. Not too much off a difference but sure look.

The Golf is popular amongst young lads though so there is probably a loading on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

shietpilot wrote: »
    The Golf is popular amongst young lads though so there is probably a loading on it :)

25 now with 5 years no claims! No claims protection, windscreen cover, breakdown assistance and a few extras too. Sure I'll be saving on fuel and tax too so it's grand :p

Was it just a stock standard letter that was issued or did the company call you and tell you they wanted 5 years?

Sent a letter and then phoned. I really had no evidence to argue and knew I wouldn't win, so we just paid. It is possible that I misunderstood the question online, I suppose.

When it happened with my own car insurance, I was able to provide evidence of an extra year of NCB. I just wonder if it's a bit of a thing to get you to accept a quote which they can subsequently bump up?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JamesFitz

Can't wait to be at the stage where I can complain about prices of insurance that are sub 1000......

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Car: Rover 45 1.4 petrol
    Year: 2001
    Claims: 1
    License: 10 Years Full (non irish but EU)
    Myself (Male, 29) as second driver (2 years driving on full license +1 year learner, 3 points)
    Social, domestic
    €640 renewal fully comp. (not negotiated yet)
    €830 last year

insurer Bank of Ireland

Happily surprised if I'm honest, was expecting a hike with a car that old...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Potatoe Eater

Can anyone suggest an Insurance Company that provides keen quotes based on the following;

Car: 2002 SAAB 93 2.2 Diesel (125hp)

NCD: 7 years

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: 3rd Party, protected

Many thanks in advance.

Advertisement