Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

Car :

2005 VW PASSAT TDI 2.0 140BHP

Driver :

Male, 29

New Licence, 2 Years Named exp

Cheapest : €1,874.52 TPFT

Previous Insurance on an old policy : €890 - Fully Comp - OCTAVIA 1.9 TDI - Did not see out year due to major mechanical failure - Can't get quotes near that now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Car: Nissan Leaf
    Year: 2015
    Claims: 0
    License: 10 Years Full
    Wife as second driver (14 years driving on full license, own car, no claims, no points)
    Social, domestic

€290 renewal fully comp. incl protected NCB, breakdown, garage car cover etc. Aviva.
    €280 last year.

(For comparison, had been paying ~€400/yr until last year on a 3 litre Lexus GS300).

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Be sure to take into consideration the penalty point discount applied in their premium calc sheet to get premium down to 290. if ye obtain 3 points during year then you must dicslose same asap - then that's the loading premium cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dulachodladh

Car: Ford Focus, 1.4L petrol
    Year: 2004
    License: 3 years full licence
    Parent as second driver (10+ years driving on full license, own car, no claims, no points)
    Social, domestic
    €653 renewal fully comp, windscreen cover and roadside assistance - AIG through broker
    €674 last year - Patrona through broker

Pleasantly surprised with this considering this time last year I had a shocker for my renewal quote with AXA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

I am a male in my late 30's, live in a good safe area, drive a 10 year old car, have 13 years no claims bonus (I know this is capped at 7 years or something) have 2 penalty points from 2014.

Last years fully comp quote was 470, year before was 378.......today I get a letter from my current insurer with a quote.....fookin 696 Euro....these insurance companies wreck my head.

My car value has gone down, I have yet another year of driving experience with no claims, I am a year older and more "mature" etc etc

Now I know I will ring them and they will go off and check this and that and probably knock 100 euro off, but its still 596 and they will probably say "oh its the global insurance market, its gone out of control " or " there is an increase in people making false claims and you bear the brunt of it" etc

just wrecks my head, any body else get their quote lately where it has increased?

With the the age of my car etc, should I just get third party fire and theft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭dasa29

Gender. Male
    Age. 40
    Licence. 7 years, full
    NCB. 7 years+
    Car. 2001 Yaris 1.0
    Points. 0

AXA-
    €568.21 renewal fully comp
    €500 last year

dasa29 wrote: »
    Gender. Male
    Age. 40
    Licence. 7 years, full
    NCB. 7 years+
    Car. 2001 Yaris 1.0
    Points. 0

AXA-
    €568.21 renewal fully comp
    €500 last year

Nearly worth more than the car is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Furtzy2

Gender. Male
    Age. 43
    Licence 15 years full irish with full NCB no points
    Car. Toyota Avensis D4D
    Last year €450 Aviva Comp with full NCB protection
    Renewal €591

Haggled down to €438 Comp full ncb protection :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Licence: 1 year, provisional
    NCB: 1
    Car: 2005 chevrolet kalos
    Claims: 1 (windshield claim that I was told will not affect my NCB)

Axa: 3200 renewal. 2500 last year with Drivesave and a discount for doing my lessons with the ISM...

3200 is nearly twice what I paid for my car. I really cannot afford that insurance. Shopped around and the lowest I got was 3000...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Wing126 wrote: »

Axa: 3200 renewal. 2500 last year with Drivesave and a discount for doing my lessons with the ISM...

3200 is nearly twice what I paid for my car. I really cannot afford that insurance. Shopped around and the lowest I got was 3000...

Why still no full licence?

• Advertisement

Why still no full licence?

Failed test the first time round (nerves got to me, let the car roll on a hill), been waiting on a date for my retest for a month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

From 14th July i'll have 5 years no claims so my quote is based on that.

M
    5 Year No Claims
    6 Year Full License
    No points
    2L Petrol 06 Hyundai Tucson
    Mam and Dad added on as named drivers (both 10+ years full license and no claims)

Fully comp(! - i've never been fully comp before, only TPFT, but the quote was so cheap i'm going for it) with windscreen & no claims protection - €483.xx (That's it paid in full but more than likely I will pay monthly which will be slightly more)

I'm absolutely delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Gnder: male
    Car: 1.6 HDI Citroen c5
    Yr: 2009
    NCD: Full
    Licence: 20 yrs
    Cover: Fully Comp
    Last Year: Quote Devil €460
    This years on-line quotes:
    FBD 612
    Liberty 539
    Aviva 687
    AA 678
    AIG 689
    Zurich 568
    Chill 675
    Axa 744
    Compare Insurance 740*
    Compare rang me straight away and said she could probably reduce that to around 500 if I looked at some of the policy details and added the wife to my policy.

UPDATE:
    Renewed with Quote Devil after some negotiation...and added the wife (with her 3 pts) for a total of €490 Fully Comp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

rizzee wrote: »
    From 14th July i'll have 5 years no claims so my quote is based on that.

M
    5 Year No Claims
    6 Year Full License
    No points
    2L Petrol 06 Hyundai Tucson
    Mam and Dad added on as named drivers (both 10+ years full license and no claims)

Fully comp(! - i've never been fully comp before, only TPFT, but the quote was so cheap i'm going for it) with windscreen & no claims protection - €483.xx (That's it paid in full but more than likely I will pay monthly which will be slightly more)

I'm absolutely delighted.

Do your parents have to live at the same address as yourself to add them as named drivers?

Car: 2006 BMW 523i Auto (177 BHP)

NCB: 13 years

Licence: Full Irish, 16 years, 2 points

Cover: Fully comp, step back protection, same as last year.

Last year's premium: €470 with Allianz via AA

Renewal with existing insurer: €696. Rang them to try and get them down a bit. Told them of my move from Dublin to County Galway. Premium shot up to €815 !!! Haggled a bit and got them back to €720. This is with AXA via AA.

Pain in the proverbial. My car value has gone down. My experience has improved by a year, my NCB has improved by a year. My 2 Penalty Points have been there since 2014, so no change there. Any yet my premium has increased by 53%.

Best new price: none. they all north of €800.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Rothmans wrote: »
    Do your parents have to live at the same address as yourself to add them as named drivers?

I'm not sure, but mine are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Rothmans wrote: »

No, you can have anyone as a named driver, where they live doesnt matter.

Does adding your parents as named drivers reduce your premium? Or increase it?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Normally free as companies know that parents normally only drive the insured ' 'to town or pick up elaewwhere'...

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Normally free as companies know that parents normally only drive the insured ' 'to town or pick up elaewwhere'...

Ah right. I'm with axa for now so they and anyone over 25 are allowed drive my car and be insured. I got hopeful that I could drop the price :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 parksider

Hi All,
    I got a good quote from Boxymo, 1000Eu for learner permit driver. During the quote, I chose the option of being provisional license.
    There is no Learner Permit option.
    I just wonder, if the quote is good because it is for provisional license ?
    I asked the online chat service from Boxymo, they said learner permit is different from provisional license. I'm quite confused. Anyone holding learner permit got the cover policy from Boxymo ?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

parksider wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I got a good quote from Boxymo, 1000Eu for learner permit driver. During the quote, I chose the option of being provisional license.
    There is no Learner Permit option.
    I just wonder, if the quote is good because it is for provisional license ?
    I asked the online chat service from Boxymo, they said learner permit is different from provisional license. I'm quite confused. Anyone holding learner permit got the cover policy from Boxymo ?

Many thanks.

Learners Permit is a Provisional Licence. You got an idiot on their chat system that doesnt know anything about driving in Ireland

So went back to my insurance and rang around again, Today Aviva quoted me €1583.70 for Third Party, Fire and Theft, upon passing their Ignition test. Booked my Ignition test for Monday so wish me luck!

Axa will go to 1700 if I pass their test aswell, but they charge €60 just to do it (it is refunded), whereas Aviva will let me do it for the first time for free. Axa's test is a little bit more flexible as it doesn't outright fail you and you get different grades which gives you a different discount. Depending on my result with Aviva I'll try them next. Getting them down to 1700 up front plus the drive-save app means it'll work out at the same as Aviva anyway if I get a grade 1 on their test.

Didn't think I'd be sitting three driving tests this year :pac:
    Wing126 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

Male 49
    Full NCB,no points etc
    Citroen c4 diesel (2005)
    Last year 345
    this year 761!(Allianz through broker)

Time to start searching.
    580 with Allianz direct?????
    527 with BofI
    1384 with liberty(officially the highest quote I've ever got,including driving vans at 18)
    620 25plus.ie
    786 first ireland
    529 fbd
    1074 SuperValu
    905 post insurance
    952-1314 Chill
    769 whoops

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

M
    10 years full license
    50% ncb
    No points
    No claims

1.5dci Renault Laguna 2008

Living in Dublin 18

Last year quote with FBD €440
    Renewal quote €695

Needless to say I'll be ringing them tomorrow to tell them I won't be paying that.

Disgusting carry on from all insurance companies who are clearly fixing their prices in an anti competitive manner as all new quotes I've gotten have been between €700 and €1300.

If I ever meet Sean Quinn he'll be getting a few slaps

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

M

First time insured in own name

4 Years Named Driver experience prior
    5 Years Full License
    No points
    1.8T Audi A4 Multitronic
    Mum and Dad added on as named drivers (both 10+ years full license and no claims)

Fully comp with windscreen & no claims protection - €720

Not too bad at all really

BazzyB wrote: »
    M

First time insured in own name

4 Years Named Driver experience prior
    5 Years Full License
    No points
    1.8T Audi A4 Multitronic
    Mum and Dad added on as named drivers (both 10+ years full license and no claims)

Fully comp with windscreen & no claims protection - €720

Not too bad at all really

How the feck did you get it that cheap !!

Seems an absolute bargain compared to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Adding your parents can drop price by a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

How the feck did you get it that cheap !!

Seems an absolute bargain compared to others.

Adding both parents reduced it down a nice amount, only a weekend car for me so less than 5,000km a year as I commute using a taxsaver ticket, and one parent has a policy with the company so I got an extra 10% off for that. Still chuffed to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

vandriver wrote: »
    Male 49
    Full NCB,no points etc
    Citroen c4 diesel (2005)
    Last year 345
    this year 761!(Allianz through broker)

Time to start searching.
    580 with Allianz direct?????
    527 with BofI
    1384 with liberty(officially the highest quote I've ever got,including driving vans at 18)
    620 25plus.ie
    786 first ireland
    529 fbd
    1074 SuperValu
    905 post insurance
    952-1314 Chill
    769 whoops

Went with tpft and driving other cars with Bank of Ireland for 460

Advertisement