Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭imnorobot

Got my renewal notice today and nearly fell over

Last years insurance with 25+.ie was €349
    This year they quoted €725 ffs

Spent a while this morning getting quotes
    cheapest was 123.ie @ €444

Dearest was chill at over €1000

Was going to go with 123
    but after looking on here I tried the bank of Ireland site and was surprised to get a quote of €322

This is for Astra 1.4 year 00
    more than 10 years no claims
    Full licence 25 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

imnorobot wrote: »
    Got my renewal notice today and nearly fell over

Last years insurance with 25+.ie was €349
    This year they quoted €725 ffs

Spent a while this morning getting quotes
    cheapest was 123.ie @ €444

Dearest was chill at over €1000

Was going to go with 123
    but after looking on here I tried the bank of Ireland site and was surprised to get a quote of €322

This is for Astra 1.4 year 00
    more than 10 years no claims
    Full licence 25 years

For a 00? That's amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭imnorobot

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    For a 00? That's amazing.
    Yep
    jumped on it and paid it today
    just in case
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Ugh, 20% increase in renewal quote, not happy.

Male 31 years old.
    Car, 2006 Honda Civic SE, 1.4
    Full No Claims.
    25plus.ie Insurance.
    Last years was €458
    This years is €554

Have to find a few hours now to get quotes and shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭PBWXFORD

NCB: 7 years

License: Full Irish, 9 endorsements

Car: 2007 Peugeot 207 GTI

Cover: Comprehensive

Insurer: Liberty

Price for last year: €458

Renewal €351

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

sozbox wrote: »
    Ugh, 20% increase in renewal quote, not happy.

20%? That's cute, mine went up by 73%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

PBWXFORD wrote: »

Renewal €351

Is Wexford a low risk county? (Guessing by your username)This is rare nowadays seeing a reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭dodzy

Renewal €351

207GTI.
    9 endorsements.
    25% reduction on a fully comp policy in a land where >50% hikes are commonplace. Pics.......or it did not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

About to look for insurance for my DD. She's 21 and on a provisional. Someone said that there is a scheme whereby booking driving lessons with certain providers gives you lower insurance costs or maybe its vice versa? Any steer much appreciated. My own insurance went up

Car: 05 Corolla, 1.4
    Comprehensive with Liberty €291 last year - increased to €375 this year despite full no claims
    eventually got €331 from 'Its for women' but they quoted me 1800 for my daughter

she was out of the country when I was renewing so there was no point in opting for a combined policy at the time. Have since changed the car to '10 Fiesta

chancer12 wrote: »
    About to look for insurance for my DD. She's 21 and on a provisional. Someone said that there is a scheme whereby booking driving lessons with certain providers gives you lower insurance costs or maybe its vice versa? Any steer much appreciated. My own insurance went up

Car: 05 Corolla, 1.4
    Comprehensive with Liberty €291 last year - increased to €375 this year despite full no claims
    eventually got €331 from 'Its for women' but they quoted me 1800 for my daughter

she was out of the country when I was renewing so there was no point in opting for a combined policy at the time. Have since changed the car to '10 Fiesta

If you are with Aviva, they do a package of 13 driving lessons and 6 months insurance for €499 which is great value. You can only do it once though.

• Advertisement

Grrr, not with Aviva. Would they take her on her own policy for those terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Cyrusmekon

Car: 11 Audi A5 2.0 TFSI (211 bhp)

NCD: 1 Year

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp

Renewal quote: €657 - Boxymo for 5k KM's with 2k bonus KM's earned from first year (All other Insurers €2k+)
    Renewal quote: €807 - Boxymo for 8k KM's with 2k bonus KM's earned from first year

Previous Year: €1200 - Boxymo

Was dreading this renewal but with a substantial decrease happy out.

chancer12 wrote: »
    Grrr, not with Aviva. Would they take her on her own policy for those terms?

No, you would have to have your policy with them. My wife changed her policy to Aviva earlier this year so we could get the offer. Driving test for my son is a month after the 6 month deal but they will extend cover for a fee for a couple of months until he passes the test.

Gosh, this is now becoming a serious pain in the ...... Now finding some companies won't quote me unless the car is in her name. So, in addition to paying her insurance they now want me to sign the car over! Don't remember all this hassle when her brother was learning.

Yes decrease to €351 in Feb for my renewal! Now in saying that i was insured on a Vectra CDTI the past 3 years and firstly on this years renewal and then i did a transfer to the GTi in March, but from checking online quotes the GTI is actually cheaper to insure than the Vectra for some reason? Although when i did the transfer the premium stayed the same as the Vectra it didnt drop.

Ive been with Liberty/Quinn since 2001 as they have always given me the best quotes and when i lost my licence and got it back they were also the only company that would insure me with all the endorsements!

I dont have the policy with me its at home but heres the pic of the quote i did online!

WP_20160525_003_zpsoyqiqnnb.jpg

Now the reason i did the online quote is because my renewal by post was actually more expensive than last years, i think it was €720 or thereabouts. So i did the quotes online and found them alot cheaper before i rang them up to ask why had this years premium gone up since i had no clamis and she said they are all gone up so i said thats funny because i did an online quote and got it for €351. She asked did i have a reference number which i did and gave to her and when she looked it up she said "oh yes i see it here now and all your details are entered the same, i dont know why that is but i will give it for that price" And thats how i got it :) Now unless there was some mistake at the time i did the online quote i dont know but they had no choice but to accept it as i had the reference number for it!

Do any of you have people as named drivers? I have 2 people as named drivers on mine which brought it down an awful lot from just being on the policy myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Yes decrease to €351 in Feb for my renewal! Now in saying that i was insured on a Vectra CDTI the past 3 years and firstly on this years renewal and then i did a transfer to the GTi in March, but from checking online quotes the GTI is actually cheaper to insure than the Vectra for some reason? Although when i did the transfer the premium stayed the same as the Vectra it didnt drop.

Ive been with Liberty/Quinn since 2001 as they have always given me the best quotes and when i lost my licence and got it back they were also the only company that would insure me with all the endorsements!

I dont have the policy with me its at home but heres the pic of the quote i did online!

WP_20160525_003_zpsoyqiqnnb.jpg

Now the reason i did the online quote is because my renewal by post was actually more expensive than last years, i think it was €720 or thereabouts. So i did the quotes online and found them alot cheaper before i rang them up to ask why had this years premium gone up since i had no clamis and she said they are all gone up so i said thats funny because i did an online quote and got it for €351. She asked did i have a reference number which i did and gave to her and when she looked it up she said "oh yes i see it here now and all your details are entered the same, i dont know why that is but i will give it for that price" And thats how i got it :) Now unless there was some mistake at the time i did the online quote i dont know but they had no choice but to accept it as i had the reference number for it!

Do any of you have people as named drivers? I have 2 people as named drivers on mine which brought it down an awful lot from just being on the policy myself?

What model & year GTI is it? I've a ten year old MKV golf & the only companies that will ever quote me are 123.ie and Aviva - That's with 7 years NCB & 9+ Years full license. Dreading this years renewal...

Edit - just read back and saw your previous post...

I'm hoping my cars tenth birthday this year is not going to be an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

Renewal €351

Do you mean 9 penalty points,or 9 endorsements on your licence?

Blondeonblonde its a 2007! I wonder why they wont insure it for you? Have you tried Liberty? Ive had alot of Pug GTI's over he years, 106's 306's etc and Liberty have always insured them no problem

Vandriver its 9 endorsements stamped on the licence! The insurance are aware of them also as i had to send a photo copy of the licence to them

Blondeonblonde its a 2006! I wonder why they wont insure it for you? Have you tried Liberty? Ive had alot of Pug GTI's over he years, 106's 306's etc and Liberty have always insured them no problem

Vandriver its 9 endorsements stamped on the licence! The insurance are aware of them also as i had to send a photo copy of the licence to them
    I have a full clean licence for 25 yrs,full ncd,in a Citroen diesel and liberty quoted me €1386.
    The world's gone mad I tells ya.

Edit:Just to be very clear,as well as sending a copy of your licence,did you declare on the online quote that you had 9 endorsements?

vandriver wrote: »
    I have a full clean licence for 25 yrs,full ncd,in a Citroen diesel and liberty quoted me €1386.
    The world's gone mad I tells ya.

Edit:Just to be very clear,as well as sending a copy of your licence,did you declare on the online quote that you had 9 endorsements?

Oh yes, and anyway i rang them to ask about my renewal before telling them about the cheaper quote but they are well aware of them anyway!

And the strange thing is that before i was disqualified from driving my insurance was €4,100 on a 1.0 Citroen, but my first car as soon as i got my licence back was a 1.6 Megane and it only cost me €2,400 on a provisional which dropped to €1,800 3 months later when i passed my test!

But like i said its always Liberty that give me the best price and when i got my licence back Liberty were the only company that would insure me!

By the way, for that quote you got, have you anybody as named drivers or are you on your own? Because the named drivers on mine brought it down quiet a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Female
    1 year no claims, full license 6 months. No points.
    Ford Fiesta 1.2 2005.
    Cover: TPFT
    Cork city, parked on public road.
    Last year with AA (Axa) was €1600. This was with my Mother added as a named driver. And it was before I passed my test.
    Passed my test and it went down by €300. Added my learner driver boyfriend for the last 3 months and they added €210! Bit confusing, but anyway..

Renewal with AA was €1220 and that was with my Mother added and my boyfriend who is a learner.

All these quotes are just for me with my Mother added:
    FBD: € 1,248.19
    Liberty: €1413.76
    Its4women: € 1267.95
    123.ie: €1,851.37
    BOI: €1460.03
    Axa: € 1,749.72

Went with my renewal. They brought it down to €987. With my learner driver boyfriend added. Tried a few other quotes with him and they were all adding €300-€400. So thought it was alright!

Oh yes, and anyway i rang them to ask about my renewal before telling them about the cheaper quote but they are well aware of them anyway!

And the strange thing is that before i was disqualified from driving my insurance was €4,100 on a 1.0 Citroen, but my first car as soon as i got my licence back was a 1.6 Megane and it only cost me €2,400 on a provisional which dropped to €1,800 3 months later when i passed my test!

But like i said its always Liberty that give me the best price and when i got my licence back Liberty were the only company that would insure me!

By the way, for that quote you got, have you anybody as named drivers or are you on your own? Because the named drivers on mine brought it down quiet a bit
    I still have the quote reference,so I'll throw in a named driver and see what it does to the premium.(Btw,I got insured for €460)

I still have the quote reference,so I'll throw in a named driver and see what it does to the premium.(Btw,I got insured for €460)

Yes definitely put in a named driver! When i got my licence back i was quoted a little over €3,200 on my own and just by adding my girlfriend as named driver brought it down by over €800! Also on last years renewal i did an online quote just to see what would happen if i added another driver ( a friend of mine who was 49 at the time with full clean licence) and it took another €270 i think off so i rang the insurance to add him in on my renewal and thats what brought it down to €458 last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Male
    Full Irish license.
    NCD: 9+ yrs
    Cover: Fully Comp
    Car: 2003 Lancer Evolution GT-A
    1 quote so far : €1,700
    By adding another driver it reduced to 1,400. Still crazy.

Insurance is gone bonkers in this country.

3 years ago was €570!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

ejabrod wrote: »
    Male
    Full Irish license.
    NCD: 9+ yrs
    Cover: Fully Comp
    Car: 2003 Lancer Evolution GT-A
    1 quote so far : €1,700

Insurance is gone bonkers in this country.

3 years ago was €570!

Bonkers absolutely. But remember this,the higher the premium the more the government takes in tax. Uninsured driving is on the rise. And a €1000 policy will be cheap if it keeps going the way it is.

Yes definitely put in a named driver! When i got my licence back i was quoted a little over €3,200 on my own and just by adding my girlfriend as named driver brought it down by over €800! Also on last years renewal i did an online quote just to see what would happen if i added another driver ( a friend of mine who was 49 at the time with full clean licence) and it took another €270 i think off so i rang the insurance to add him in on my renewal and thats what brought it down to €458 last year!
    Right,this is bonkers,but 1386 for me (49 full licence,full ncd etc),down to 980 with learner driver added,and 680 with friend added too.
    700 cheaper!Mad,Ted just mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Right,this is bonkers,but 1386 for me (49 full licence,full ncd etc),down to 980 with learner driver added,and 680 with friend added too.

They're starting to change this now I think.

Friend rang up one of the brokers the other day and got the usual now obscene quote and broker was like is the granny and mammy still alive, that usually brings it down a good bit, ended up putting in sister and mother and it went up €200.

See Vandriver, i told you it would bring it down ;) ive told loads of people to do it and it has worked for them all. Most people starting off driving think that it only works the other way, for instance getting an older person (a parent) to insure the car and putting them as named driver, but that way the person never gains a NCB in their name.. They dont realize that it will work by them insuring the car and putting the older person as named driver under their policy and by doing so they also stack up a NCB :)

Although im surprised that adding a person with a prov licence brought it down! How old are the people you added? My 2 named drivers are 33 and 50 and both have full clean licences..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

€220 for comp. 2 litre engine and rwd. Value €10k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭gillamandango

Age 40, No Points, Full NCB, 2007 Subaru Wrx 2.5l, Fully Comp with 1 named driver (68yo), last year 580 (been with same insurers for 8 years)

New ‎renewal ‎1731

Advertisement